Is it time for Pacers to start worrying?

Is it time for Pacers to start worrying?

There are 76 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jan 1, 2008, titled Is it time for Pacers to start worrying?. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

The Indiana Pacers don't have the word "desperate" sitting on the tip of their tongues, but they realize what lies ahead of them on the schedule.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
HAHA

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#1 Jan 1, 2008
No it isn't time to worry. Well I am not a Pacer fan so let them lose.
Snip Cahue

Fairmount, IN

#2 Jan 2, 2008
Actually, its time to yawn.
Mike in NC

United States

#3 Jan 2, 2008
"I think it's important for us to start putting together a string of games because we're almost at 40 games," O'Neal said. "We can't continue to play behind the eight ball because at some point in our conference, there's going to be teams that hit a stride that separates themselves in the pack along with Boston and Detroit.

How many times have you heard a quote like that from our alleged superstar/team leader....this guy is a joke - he provides no toughness, focus, intensity...etc just the same old blah blah blah after each disappointing loss. Always saying the write words but never putting his money where his mouth is. As long as this team is looking to Tinsley and JO to set the tone for the team, this motley crew will be a .500 team in a lousy division of a weak conference.
indy

Fishers, IN

#4 Jan 2, 2008
time to make a trade this team sucks........................
Old Fan

Macon, MS

#5 Jan 2, 2008
Pacers, if you want a reflection of your commitment just look into the stands. The commitment of the Colts is reflected in the stands...and so is the Pacers.
Sheila

AOL

#6 Jan 2, 2008
Old Fan wrote:
Pacers, if you want a reflection of your commitment just look into the stands. The commitment of the Colts is reflected in the stands...and so is the Pacers.
Nonsense. It comes and goes.

It wasn't that long ago that your precious team was being called the Dolts and games weren't on TV because they hadn't sold all the tickets.

It will be that way again. Just wait. Everything goes in cycles and nothing is permanent.

If you expect the Colts will always be winners and the Pacers will always be losers, you have left reality.
reader

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Jan 2, 2008
Sheila wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't that long ago that your precious team was being called the Dolts and games weren't on TV because they hadn't sold all the tickets.
It will be that way again. Just wait. Everything goes in cycles and nothing is permanent
If you expect the Colts will always be winners and the Pacers will always be losers, you have left reality.
Sheila, Glad to see you are using that philosophy degree. But the point isn't about "cycles" - the point is why are we stuck in this one with the Pacers? For multiple years now, the Pacers brass have tolerated behavior that drives fans away. A trade two years later does little to mend fences especially when a new offender steps to the plate. This isn't about losing because of bad drafts, injuries, etc. Forget the comparisons with the Colts. The Indians fill their ballpark regardless of their place in the standings. People will pay for family entertainment and to watch players do their best. They will not shell out three $$$ figures for their family to watch what the Pacers now represent. It is just as frustrating for the Pacers who give it all -on and off the court as it is for the fans.
Jim Irsay

Troy, MI

#8 Jan 2, 2008
The Time to worry was in August.Now start throwing games and get rid of JO and tin man and lets get some draft picks.
bing55

Winchester, KY

#9 Jan 2, 2008
Draft picks would be great, but do you think Eric Gordon would really want to play with this team of Pacers? They can not get rid of JO, and tin man, so we are stuck for a few years with this stuff. I just hold on to the memories of Reggie and the players we had then.
Chris

Henderson, KY

#10 Jan 2, 2008
.500 at the all-star break will be fine for a team learning an entirely new system. We won't be able to judge what this team can really do (or not) until after the all-star break. Real fans will want this team to do as well as possible so that we can A) identify productive trades and draft selections and B) get maximum value in trades. Phony fans will want this team to tank so that stay stuck in this "cycle" indefinitely, regardless as to whether the coach or management want to do better.
yes it is

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Jan 2, 2008
Mr. Wells. Yes it is. Our problem is O'neal...or at least our insistence on running our offense through him. Case-in-point: The home game vs. Detroit. We're down 4 with not much time left...we have the ball...we dribble down...three guys stand around...O'neal posts up...ball in to him...he turns...and either fumbled the ball away or missed a 7 footer...(he does them both so often, I lose track). Let's see...we are still 5-1 without him...and now 10-16 with him. Hmmm....do the math!! He is our problem and as long as he is here, our season will be yet another lost one. We are currently in the playoff hunt but since he gets worse as the year goes on, we'll soon be 10 games under 500 and with no chance of post-season action.
mooch

Plymouth, MN

#12 Jan 2, 2008
bing55 wrote:
Draft picks would be great, but do you think Eric Gordon would really want to play with this team of Pacers? They can not get rid of JO, and tin man, so we are stuck for a few years with this stuff. I just hold on to the memories of Reggie and the players we had then.
Typical negativgity from the pacer faithful, you people are hilarious, Tinsley has really been a great player and you people still have the negative nicknames and comments. I bet these players don't want to play for you just as much as you don't them on your team, who wants to play for not supportive city, then once they blow up ths team like most of you say they should and they're sitting with the worse record in the league like the miami heat than you really will have a lot of fun things to say. I just don't think you can call yourself real fans, more like bandwagon fans, you love the team when their up and hate them when they're down, when we were two games above .500 and playing our best ball of the season everybody was positive but soon as we lose a couple. You people are back to dogging us on message boards. I love the pacers and even though I get very frustrated w/ some of these losses, it's a long season and I'm optimistic, more than that I'm a real fan and I wear my heart on my sleeve and I refuse to come on here like me complaining is gonna change anything. Some of you fans don't know anything about the game of basketball, never even played on a JV level but you have all the answers like you are a GM. Try being a fan first!!!!!! Hippocrits........Go Pacers.
yes it is

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Jan 2, 2008
yes, and thanks to those fair-weather Colts fans, it is harder for me to get tickets. I've watched, listened to, or attended every Colts game since my first one around 1985 at age 10.
Sheila wrote:
<quoted text>
It will be that way again. Just wait. Everything goes in cycles and nothing is permanent.
Still hanging in there

Florence, KY

#14 Jan 2, 2008
I totally agree with Mike in NC. Good guy off the court but he has to go. He NEVER backs up his talk, hasn't come close to earning his salary, and is in no way a leader on the court. This team is as much fun to watch as Bird is at talking to the media.

“Pacers rebuild use Suns Model!”

Since: Nov 07

Greenwood

#15 Jan 2, 2008
It's not time to worry unless you havn't been since the start of the season. Thugs and Bar hoppers don't make it in the NBA. Stars and young tallent does. We have none of the one and little of the other.
bent20

Bettendorf, IA

#16 Jan 2, 2008
Just goes to show how silly it was to have that story two weeks ago showing where the Pacers would qualify if the season ended in December.

Since: Dec 06

Indianapolis

#17 Jan 2, 2008
I'm worried about global warming, Putin's aggressive moves & harsh words towards the US, North Korea's continual reluctance to reunite with South Korea under a democratic government, the suffering in Africa, random acts of terrorism like that in Sudan that recently killed a US diplomat, the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, our economy, and a lame duck President & VP, etc ...

Happy New Year!
Not a Pacer Fan

Duncan, OK

#18 Jan 2, 2008
I think if they went to bed early instead of practicing their "shooting" techniques at bars at 3a after a game, they should try shooting a basketball and not with a pistol to improve their game instead of "making it rain" and "dumping" every time they go out
Tom

AOL

#19 Jan 2, 2008
Is it time to start worrying?...That ship has sailed!
Slickster

United States

#20 Jan 2, 2008
This was to be expected since no big roster changes were made in the off-season. This average team will yield average results.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jeff Foster Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News N.B.A. Labor Strife Now a War of Words (Oct '11) Nov '11 maninfl 37
News Pacers: Rose gets too many calls (Apr '11) Apr '11 Herbjr0120 1
News Pacers' Hansbrough falls behind (Oct '10) Oct '10 SilverSoftcat319 1
News Roster shuffle a problem for Pacers (Jan '10) Jan '10 sec2no1 1
News Do the Indiana Pacers' Hopes Hinge on Tyler Han... (Aug '09) Aug '09 GO UNC 1
News O'Neal, Pacers hand Sixers 1st loss (Nov '06) Aug '09 FOR BENLEASR- A ... 34
News Pacers' Murphy out of tonight's game (Mar '09) Mar '09 ZzZzZ 2
More from around the web