Pacers hit road having squandered opportunity

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

Indiana Pacers coach Rick Carlisle believes this is the time to focus on the road ahead, not the debris in the rear-view mirror.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 16 of16
Paul

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2007

Doesn't the same old statements get old Pacer fans! You actually wonder if the players believe anymore. From being at the Sacramento game the other night, I can tell you one thing...... they don't care!
Ron

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2007

I agree with Paul, it seems the players have no respect for Carlisle and just go through the motions. What happened to the run and gun free flowing offense we were supposed to see at the beginning of the season? All I see are set plays for JO and a micromanaged offense. Plus no defense or heart.
Bill in Sarasota

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2007

The Pacers should attend some college games and maybe get some motivation from seeing them!
Could Tony Dungy give them a pep talk?
Jeff

Glenwood, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2007

We should change their name to the Rationalizers, i.e. Sacremento embarrasses us because we prepared defensively for RonRon and he didn't show,or maybe the newbies will bond with everybody else at the road version of Club Rio.
Facts are facts, no creativity on offense, no team speed or help on defense, no fire.... just a tiny little spark for a few minutes in each game.
When was the last time Foster steeped out on a P&R and the ball handler didn't hit Foster's man for a wide open shot? When was the last time Flimsley out-dueled an opposing p.g. on either end of the court?
Tim

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2007

Paul wrote:
Doesn't the same old statements get old Pacer fans! You actually wonder if the players believe anymore. From being at the Sacramento game the other night, I can tell you one thing...... they don't care!
It's sad but much sadder to me is that I don't care any more. Too many excuses on their part and too many chances for them to redeem themselves on my part. But not any more. Enough with the whining mediocrity.

I'm off to some great basketball. Go Butler!
Fire Carlisle

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2007

Look Start seving up somebodys head someone other than fans that know something about basketball

Fire Carlisle If he ran a division
of SIMON PROPERTIES the stockholders
would call for his head with the type of no production or losing market share.
No different for our fans and the product they deserve Yes deserve
these players are for our enjoyment period You want ro humanize it as much as you can, but this is totally out of control. They do not care anymore!
It is not acceptable The fans should boycott at least one home game to send the message. Take a full page out in the STAR and pick a home game that tells fans not to show up that evening. At least the fans would give the heads up that they weren't going to show
"PACER FANS NO GO NIGHT" stay home and feel the experience.
Brad

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2007

Did you read the sidebar in today's Star indicating that the Trailpacers traded their #1 pick to ATL for Al? I'm glad that worked out for them
James

Cloverdale, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2007

Why do I get the feeling watching the Pacer's games that the new players have not been accepted on the team? Maybe I'm wrong. If I'm not, then let's accept these new guys (we got the better of the trade) and jell as a team. Right now, I don't think we have a TEAM. If one of the posters was right that they don't care, then they need to do something to make them care. It seems like I and all the other posters keep saying the same things day after dismal day.
stlouispacer

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2007

Brad wrote:
Did you read the sidebar in today's Star indicating that the Trailpacers traded their #1 pick to ATL for Al? I'm glad that worked out for them
. realgm says the pacers 2007 one pick is protected thru 10. atlanta apparently doesnt get this years pacers pick if it is in the top 10. anyone else verify this?
Chris

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2007

Hmmm. I'll be amazed if they do better than 3-7 on the road this month. This team is lethargic. The real problem is that JO is a great player, but not an on-court leader. All good teams have an on-court leader. Walsh/Bird/Carlisle gambled he could replace Reggie and they were wrong. The squad we have could play much better, but we need to look for a Gilbert Arenas type player. If they could swap JO for that, we'd be fine.
General Nasty

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2007

The franchise has been on the downslide since the original trade for Artest with Chicago and betting on Jamaal as their franchise point guard. Trades since have not improved the team.

Quality teams have quality guards to initiate play. Jamaal may be capable of 20 points and 10 assists - but infrequently and not on a consistent basis. His street ball mentality does not lend to a team approach. Though he has skills, Dunleavy isn't strong enough physically or mentally. The better #2 guards take advantage of him.

The Pacers acknowledge defense is a weakness, yet their best post defender, Foster, is getting limited minutes in order to open up the offense with Murphy outside and O'Neal inside. Unfortunately, teams recognize Murphy is not a good defender and isolate him early.

As for Carlisle - Yes, he has to play with the players he is given but he controls the minutes and the mix. All three, Walsh, Bird, and Carlisle have have a three to four year track record of poor decisions in the makeup and execution of the team. This is evident in the record, the attendance, and the waning support.
Jeremy

Peoria, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2007

Here is a trade that should happen in the offseason in my opinion, Tnsley and Daniels for Larry Hughes (defense) and Daniel Gibson (Shoot first point guard for more offense). Seems like a great trade.
Check it out.
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/tradere...
nomar

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2007

sorry I hurt my leg a couple of comments ago and then aggrvated it on my last comment so I can't comment on this article. I'll be out for a few more articles until I feell like pla......aaah I mean until I'm healed enough to go out and put in 60% effort......(for 100% of my pay)
Playa H8ta

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2007

The NBA has sucked for years. Pacer fans just didn't notice because the team was good. Now that the Pacers are mediocre, we all see what garbage is played night in and night out in the NBA and take it out on the local team. Winning is a great deoderant. Who wants to watch overpaid atheletes showboat, throw the ball away and clank 30 foot jumpers off the rim for 48 minutes everynight?

If you want to watch REAL basketball played the way it was meant to be played, go and support your local highschool or college basketball team. When does football season start???
Itchy trigger finger

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2007

Hoooooo.....hummmmmm
Has arena football started yet. It'll give us something to do until the Colts start their exhibition season. Isn't it a shame that we are more interested in a Colts lousy pre-season game than a Pacer's game for real. Since the Pacers won't be playing many games after 82, we will have a long dry spell without some quality entertainment.

"Playoffs, playoffs??!!!!...Who said anything about playoffs!!!???(Wrong sport, right comment.)

Oh, by the way, I stand corrected about the circus in Conseco. They actually perform at the Pepsi Coliseum. Something about they didn't want to clean up the (%$#@##$%) left at Conseco after a certain pro (?) team stunk it up in February. Lo for the days of old with Buse, Keller, Daniels, Brown, McGinnis, Reggie, and the rest of the "real" Pacers. Where is Bobby Leonard when you need him?(I know, WIBC.)
True Indy Sports Fan

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2007

Even though statistically J.O. is having a helluva great year, I challenge you all to name a great team leader in the league who did not attend college. Jury is still out on "King" James (hate that friggin nickname). With the new rules we should see better ball in the league as a whole, but J.O. was never going to develop into a leader anyway. Kobe- not a leader (p.o.s human being for that matter). Garnet- not a leader (great player, like J.O. but what has he been able to do given that he plays with some of the worst cast ever put together... Sorry Larry, your ol' buddy was worse at his job than you are). Anyone? M.Malone was the only high school product to LEAD a team to a championship. Ease up on J.O. and lets see if the team can come together and do something worthwhile given a little time. They will make changes in the offseason, this year is looking familiar to recent ones with a virtual lock on being bounced out in the first round of the playoffs, and Tinsley will not be on the roster next season. Hope for something good to happen besides Artest screwing up another team and Peja breaking his back while lifting up his skirt to show us what we already know. Go Pacers!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 16 of16
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Jeff Foster Discussions

Search the Jeff Foster Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
N.B.A. Labor Strife Now a War of Words (Oct '11) Nov '11 maninfl 37
Pacers: Rose gets too many calls (Apr '11) Apr '11 Herbjr0120 1
Pacers' Hansbrough falls behind (Oct '10) Oct '10 SilverSoftcat319 1
Roster shuffle a problem for Pacers (Jan '10) Jan '10 sec2no1 1
Do the Indiana Pacers' Hopes Hinge on Tyler Han... (Aug '09) Aug '09 GO UNC 1
O'Neal, Pacers hand Sixers 1st loss (Nov '06) Aug '09 FOR BENLEASR- A FRIEND 34
Pacers' Murphy out of tonight's game (Mar '09) Mar '09 ZzZzZ 2
•••
•••