Trade should please Kobe

Trade should please Kobe

There are 18 comments on the LA Daily News story from Feb 2, 2008, titled Trade should please Kobe. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

Think just maybe that up-and-coming team, that organization willing to make a bold move and committed to winning now, just might be your very own Lakers? So come out and say it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

Samuel - Chino Hills

AOL

#1 Feb 2, 2008
Beautifully said!
Jay

Dallas, TX

#2 Feb 2, 2008
What a waste of space. Here, have some more sticks, give that dead horse a few more licks.
priceless

Riverside, CA

#3 Feb 2, 2008
I LOVE IT! LETS GO LAKERS! KOBE WILL NOT LEAVE EVEN WHEN HE WILL HAVE AN OPTION NEXT SUMMER. THIS IS THE BEST FRANCHISE, WE HAVE THE BEST COACH, KOBE IS THE BEST PLAYER, ITS ABOUT TIME WE ARE GONNA BE THE BEST TEAM IN THE NBA YET AGAIN! I CAN SMELL VICTORY!
rid khan

Pacifica, CA

#4 Feb 2, 2008
bitch Kobe's the best player in the world he can do whatever he wants i bet u play racquetball
Andy

Northridge, CA

#5 Feb 2, 2008
Well, If Kobe was being trade to Chicago or other teams. Without Kobe in Lakers uniform, Adding Paul Gasol would NOT make Lakers championship team neither. It would only make Lakers top 4 or 5 teams in the West. Can you get that also Steve
kself

Blue Jay, CA

#6 Feb 2, 2008
Steve, what's up with your preoccupation with making Kobe eat crow? Didn't he say --albeit, during a flip-flopping bint that perhaps made some political candidates blush --that he ultimately wanted to stay with the Lakers anyway? As a Lakers fan, I could care less if Kobe comes out and "atones" for his summer of sin. In fact, it was understandable. He was a champion on a high school JV team, without the conference weaknesses or team veterans Lebron had in the east.

Now if the Lakers get knocked out of the playoffs again in the next 2 years, all criticism will be deserved, and Kobe should be the first one to admit that.
sajin m

Pacifica, CA

#8 Feb 2, 2008
i think that the lakers should get a good three point shooter
maybee peja stojakavic
TBS

Chicago, IL

#9 Feb 2, 2008
Kobe has been vilified for stating the obvious last spring -- that the Lakers, as constituted, were nowhere near championship caliber.
On top of that, he questioned the owner's willingness to do whatever it took to pull the trigger on a major deal.
On the first day of training camp when Phil was having everyone go around the room and say something about themselves, Kobe said, "Hi, my name is Kobe Bryant, and I want to win a championship." That set the tone with his teammates and they have worked hard to earn his respect.
By not dropping his game face for the first months of the season, even when the Lakers were performing well, and by not saying (as the sportswriters were demanding) "Okay, I'll drop my trade demand or opt out threat ", Kobe kept the pressure on the front office to truly improve the team for the long term. And he did it without backstabbing the guys he has now.
The result is a team that is taking on his competitive nature, that still sought to improve, and now with the addition of Gasol can legitimately be called a championship contender.
So yesterday Kobe let his guard down a little and said, "I have to take my hat off to Dr. Buss and to the front office. Now it's up to us."
He has transferred the expectations to his teammates, who I think will be happy to step up to the challenge.
On top of that, he went out last night and led by example, dropping 46 on Toronto to guarantee a win on the road trip that everyone predicted would be the Lakers' demise.
Laker fans should thank Kobe for refusing to let the front office or his teammates settle for mediocrity.
JAVIER

United States

#10 Feb 2, 2008
PERFECT
PAF

Huntington Park, CA

#11 Feb 2, 2008
Kobe is right to not outright say he doesn't want to be traded. They haven't even played yet with Pau with Bynum. He'll admit that he doesn't want to be traded when they win the championship. He's already admitted that they're a championship-caliber team with Bynum. That's as close as we're gonna get to him saying he'll stay.
The moment he says he doesn't want to be traded will make the Lakers front office relax, which we don't want. Kobe's "whining", and now lack of saying anything about his feelings of trade, are the reason why the team is where they are.
Summary: Kobe cannot admit he's pleased or else everyone in the organization will lose their sense of urgency.
The Enforcer

Santa Ana, CA

#12 Feb 2, 2008
This joker Dilbeck writes like a high schooler. He belongs at the DB, along with the rest of the schlubs. His style of 'journalism' is why no one buys the DB anymore.
realist

San Jose, CA

#13 Feb 2, 2008
Dude, Dilbeck,

Get over it. No one is obsessed with demanding an apology except you - no one is waiting for it.
Perhaps when you get your head out of the ground, you'll realize that Kobe running his mouth off may just have spurred Kupchak to get off his butt and do something to improve the team. After all, Mitch is smart enough to realize that he doesn't want to be known as the GM under whose watch both Kobe and Shaq left the Lakers.
G-Funk

Downey, CA

#15 Feb 2, 2008
Lovely article!
bend

Flushing, NY

#16 Feb 2, 2008
"Who wouldn't love that starting five, other than its opponent."

There should be a question mark at the end of that sentence, rather than a period.

also, something cannot be the "most unique." Unique means "one of a kind." There aren't degrees of one of a kind.

Fire your copy editor,

Other than that, Great column!
Hendra Chandraprawira

New Albany, OH

#17 Feb 2, 2008
What a nice team , common Kobe...u got love your team brother
elias

Cranbury, NJ

#18 Feb 3, 2008
i bet u his comment light a fire underneath management's behind to make a trade,if kobe had stood pat and say nothing,management might not have had a sense of urgency in making a trade,kobe's outburst was a double edge sword,hurt but good in the sense that management were force to actually do something..both side wins all d way..no victor no vanguish.
Elias kassim-bashua
Antonio

Memphis, TN

#19 Feb 5, 2008
Will the media just let it go. Kobe is easily the MVP this year and some people still are obsessed with the past summer. I read an article in a magazine with Bynum and it talked about how his family reacted to what Kobe said. They said Kobe did him a favor by putting his name out there. In return, you see how motivated Bynum has become. Kobe plays, trains harder than anyone in the league other than maybe Kevin Garnett. What's wrong with wanting your teammates to be the same way. Sometimes a player needs to step up and make management accountable. As far as a laker fan wanting Kobe to come out and say something, i'm one who doesn't. Kobe says enough every night that he takes the court and drops 19 in a quarter. ENUFF SAID
shawn K

Santa Barbara, CA

#20 Feb 5, 2008
After 3 years of putting up with crap KObe has EARNED the right not to say anything. He changed his mind about bynim cuz bynum changed. He changed his mind about cupcake cuz he changed as well. As a fan I am happy that he called out managment for a change. Just like him, I was gettin tired of only scoring championships.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Javaris Crittenton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Javaris Crittenton is arrested on murder charge (Sep '11) Nov '12 Sam 15
News Ex-NBA player Javaris Crittenton jailed on spee... (Feb '12) Feb '12 Sam 6
News Former NBA Player Crittenton to Face Murder Charge (Sep '11) Oct '11 Pug 3
News Ex-NBA Player to Surrender on Murder Charge (Aug '11) Sep '11 Sammy 78
News Ex-NBA player faces court hearing on murder charge (Sep '11) Sep '11 ludicrous 2
News Crittenton due back Thursday (Sep '11) Sep '11 marvin 1
News Wizards' Arenas released from halfway house, co... (May '10) May '10 Big Boss from Miami 2
More from around the web