Lakers trade Kwame Brown for Grizzlies' Pau Gasol

There are 20 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Feb 1, 2008, titled Lakers trade Kwame Brown for Grizzlies' Pau Gasol. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The Lakers have acquired forward-center Pau Gasol from the Memphis Grizzlies for center Kwame Brown, guard Javaris Crittenton and a series of draft picks between the two teams, The Times has learned.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Hardliner

Homer Glen, IL

#1 Feb 1, 2008
In a season of lows, this is a new low. Paxson is making Kenny Williams look like Bill Gates. What a joke.
joe

Covina, CA

#2 Feb 1, 2008
this is much better than trading for Ben Wallace... that's for sure! lol
michael p coy

Oswego, IL

#3 Feb 1, 2008
Well thank you Lakers, now we can see how are Bulls will respond..........what a losing plan!!!
Patrick

United States

#5 Feb 1, 2008
Paging Mr. Paxson...your services are no longer needed. This is unbelievable. They got Gasol for NOTHING. I didn't think Paxson could be this incompetent but he has reached a new low. BYE BYE JOHN!!!!
KJG

Skokie, IL

#6 Feb 1, 2008
Why would Memphis do this trade? That's the best they could get for Gasol? I know they need cap relief, but why not ask for Turiaf instead of Crttenton who is another young PG to add to an already solid back court of Navarro, Conley, and Lowry. Great trade for the Lakers. Can't believe the Bulls let another one get away. First KG now PG. There is no hope for the Bulls anytime soon. Deal Wallace for cap relief and try to get Okafor.
Rio Kidd

Chicago, IL

#7 Feb 1, 2008
Aint that a *****!!!!!
rAFTERS

Saint Petersburg, FL

#8 Feb 1, 2008
Ya snooze ya lose...
Jay

Lowell, IN

#9 Feb 1, 2008
It's amazing the Lakers only had to give up a bunch of garbage players to get another good big man. Pax could have done the same with Gordon, Nocioni (who Memphis wanted in the offseason), Tyrus Thomas and a couple of 1st round picks. Pax is just looking worse and worse as the season goes along...
Patrick

United States

#10 Feb 1, 2008
Hardliner wrote:
In a season of lows, this is a new low. Paxson is making Kenny Williams look like Bill Gates. What a joke.
Yup, KW is looking like an absolute genius right now. Is Paxson on a corporate retreat in the Australian outback right now? Did he not want to give up Duhon? Sefolosha? Hinrich?Simply unbelievable.
Hecht No

Chicago, IL

#11 Feb 1, 2008
jaysus, between kenny williams and john paxson, this winter makes me want to jump off a bridge, into a snowbank.
sell the team, reinsdorf, just sell it.
roshambo

United States

#12 Feb 1, 2008
somebody wake Paxson up and tell him Gasol is (was) available. IDIOT

Since: Sep 07

Chicago, IL

#13 Feb 1, 2008
Hardliner wrote:
I'm Gasol fan but I'd take him over some of the stiffs that we have. Pax? What are you doing? Nothing? That's easy. Do something. Even Kenny has attempted to do something.
Keith

Chicago, IL

#14 Feb 1, 2008
Hey sports fans, isn't it fun to sit back and watch other team's GM's (in baseball and in basketball) pull off moves that our GM's tell us were impossible ("The other team was simply asking for too much in return!)?

Isn't it fun to sit back and watch other team's GM's make the moves that are necesary to improve their clubs--even when their team is well over .500?

Wow. That's how you mananage to win?

Here in Chicago, our GM's tell us to keep a positive attitude; we're going to compete; we'll surprise some teams.

Hey Pax, Williams and Hendry, grabbing an all-star caliber player or two goes a long way towards making your fans stay "positive".

But watching you'all 'stand pat' while other team's GM's make all the right moves makes us very grumpy and depressed.

You're fired--the whole lot of ya!!

Keith

Since: Sep 07

Chicago, IL

#15 Feb 1, 2008
Correction. I'm no Gasol fan but....sports in this town is back to the days of Bad Bears, Bad Bulls, Bad Sox, and Bad Cubs. Cubs may be the best team right now and you know that's a bad sign if the Cubs are the best thing going.
roshambo

United States

#16 Feb 1, 2008
COme on PAX!! Lets wait until the entire roster deteriorates thier trade value.
PAX the team aquiring a star almost always wins the trade. Please go back in time and trade Deng and whoever for KObe then ship a bag of crap to Memphis for Gasol. Apparantly thats all it would take.
Thanks for helping MJ win those titles now BUH BYE!!!!!!!
joe

Covina, CA

#17 Feb 1, 2008
Before Bynum became a real threat in the NBA, we shared your same frustrations. It really sucks when you hear of players being available and yet your GM does nothing. Us Laker fans TRASHED Kupchak for not trading Bynum for Jason Kidd and look at Bynum now. And now that he's gotten Gasol, we are forced to love him! LOL

Be patients guys.... but i know, its not that easy. We weren't patient either. You guys have great players but no chemistry! Moves will happen you'll see!
Uncle Willis

Fort Wayne, IN

#18 Feb 1, 2008
Dudes, you guys are jumping off the deep end, and for what? Gasol? And what happens if he comes into Chicago and is a complete stiff? Then Paxson's and idiot (again)?

We've got the same thing going on here in Hoosierville where St. Larry hasn't exactly blessed us with HOF'ers. People are calling for his head, too. At least I haven't read where any Bulls have been shot at, or are shooting at, the saintly do-gooders that so often frequent the night spots!
Bill

Lombard, IL

#19 Feb 1, 2008
What a lousy trade for Memphis. Kwame Brown stinks and was being booed by Lakers fans, Javaris Critterton stinks. Why does Memphis need Critterton after drafting Mike Conley? Draft pick will stink. I guess 50M was too much for Memphis to pay.
So bunch of stinkers for an all-star?
You mean John Paxson couldn't trade Tyrus Thomas for Gasol? Or are the Bulls that financial concious now? Paxson's star has really fallen this year.
Keith

Chicago, IL

#20 Feb 1, 2008
Joe wrote:

..."Moves will happen you'll see!"

O Yeah. We're bound to get a Jalen Rose and a Nomar every now and then!

DCL

Chicago, IL

#21 Feb 1, 2008
D Chicago wrote:
Correction. I'm no Gasol fan but....sports in this town is back to the days of Bad Bears, Bad Bulls, Bad Sox, and Bad Cubs. Cubs may be the best team right now and you know that's a bad sign if the Cubs are the best thing going.
Yeah I'm not big on him either. I wouldn't have traded for him for the prices the Grizz were reportedly asking the Bulls initially. But apparently they got desperate or something since then.

Whatever the case, it is a fact that with further negotiation, Pax could have offered someone better than the Lake Show did in Kwame. And using Kwame as the basis, it appears that "someone" could have been anyone. Certainly one of the myriad players on the Bulls we wouldn't really miss.

Like a friend just told me, its like when the Wizards traded Kwame for Caron Butler. Lakers GM Kupchak got gyped then, and has redeemed himself, a little. Now it's Chris Wallace, the Grizzlies' GM, who looks like he got gyped.

Whatever I think of Pau, trading for him with the likes of Kwame is a no-brainer. Why Pax didn't step up, I'd like to know.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Javaris Crittenton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Javaris Crittenton is arrested on murder charge (Sep '11) Nov '12 Sam 15
News Ex-NBA player Javaris Crittenton jailed on spee... (Feb '12) Feb '12 Sam 6
News Former NBA Player Crittenton to Face Murder Charge (Sep '11) Oct '11 Pug 3
News Ex-NBA Player to Surrender on Murder Charge (Aug '11) Sep '11 Sammy 78
News Ex-NBA player faces court hearing on murder charge (Sep '11) Sep '11 ludicrous 2
News Crittenton due back Thursday (Sep '11) Sep '11 marvin 1
News Wizards' Arenas released from halfway house, co... (May '10) May '10 Big Boss from Miami 2
More from around the web