Don't expect deadline moves

Don't expect deadline moves

There are 20 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Feb 20, 2008, titled Don't expect deadline moves. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

It has been 10 years since the Heat made a significant move at the NBA trading deadline, a dormant approach coach Pat Riley said he expects to continue today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

juan

Miami, FL

#1 Feb 20, 2008
its better this way...leave the team the way it is its not like we're in a hurry to do anything...we aint going no where we have to stay in last place for the draft pick so hu cares...we'll just wait till the offseason and we're good stop worrying about trades right now
win

Walled Lake, MI

#2 Feb 20, 2008
nonsense. clean house. williams, davis and the other losers (24 out of 25 losses) will just be a year older and sorrier. what is riley waiting for? use those expiring contracts. why re-sign people next year who have a 9-43 record this year?

get rid of them.
Rob

Panama City, FL

#3 Feb 20, 2008
Yeah, Ricky I'm sure you would like to come back. Thing is, your basketball IQ is non-existent, and you always seem to play for losing teams. You'll be lucky to get 2-3 mil a year from someone who is misled by your stats. Dumbest player in the NBA, hands down.
EGER

Miami, FL

#4 Feb 21, 2008
Just play Smush, why pay him to sit on the bench?
Mikey V

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#5 Feb 21, 2008
The one move they should make is for Riley to Fire Himself. Let the young guy get his feet wet. I am tired of watching Riley's Old Man Game. One guy dribbling, 4 guys watching. Where are the cuts and passes in the lane? I could do better!
joe bagadonuts key largo

Miami, FL

#6 Feb 21, 2008
miami has a basketball team yikes!!!!!!!!
RickyBlaque

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#7 Feb 21, 2008
No wonder Riley doesn't expect a trade, he's already solidified his case for executive of the year. He gave the gift that keeps on giving to the Lakers. Now they have Bynum, Farmar, Odum and Gasol to go along with Kobe and have the second best record in the West while the Heat are the worst in the NBA. I'd say he's done enough.
hufag

Orlando, FL

#8 Feb 21, 2008
joe bagadonuts key largo wrote:
miami has a basketball team yikes!!!!!!!!
and some more ...
now only 4 hours

New York, NY

#9 Feb 21, 2008
Do something !!!
Sean

Chicago, IL

#10 Feb 21, 2008
They better not resign Davis. HE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!! A LOT!!!!!!
D-wade

United States

#11 Feb 21, 2008
Does anyone know what Pat try to trade Marion. I saw it on realgm.com . That would make no sense to me. I thought we were going to build around wade and marion.
A New Day

Lake Worth, FL

#12 Feb 21, 2008
There should be NO DOUBT that Riley SHOULD trade JWill and Davis for something of value...because once 3pm strikes they are of NO VALUE.

As for Haslem, trade him if the value you get is better than the value you are trading.

Wade should rest his injuries so that he is TRULEY ready next year.
lin

Warner Robins, GA

#13 Feb 21, 2008
Why doesn't Pat Riley do something about Wade's turnovers. I bet he leads the league in turnovers at his position.
now only 30 minutes

New York, NY

#14 Feb 21, 2008
Wade average of 4.5 turnovers per game leads the league...and still no quality point guard acquired...????
A New Day

Lake Worth, FL

#15 Feb 21, 2008
Its simple, last year Riley let expiring contracts (valuable trade pieces) go for nothing and our team when form contenter to pretender (lost Kapono, EJ, and Posey for nothing). This year Riley let our expiring contracts go for nothing again (Davis and JWill).

There is NO upside to doing this...we still won't have significant cap space!!!

Letting these players go without a return does not help build our team. It's basically playing chess and deciding to spot your foe your 2 rooks.

If Micky didn't go and start the deal for Marion, we'd be looking at being a lottery team for the next decade. With Micky's great deal, we had a shot to be a top 4 team in the East for the next decade...now unless we strike lottery gold, we're looking at being a play-off bubble team for the next several years.

Riley as a coach has lost it, and as a GM (depending on whether you want to give him credit for Micky's work with the Shaq deal) questionable at best.

As a coach, lets not forget after we lost Zo, he coached a lottery team every year until he stepped down and gave the job to a coach that still had hunger...that when the Heat finally got good.
skeezix

Pompano Beach, FL

#16 Feb 20, 2009
This is 2009! This guy Moon seems like a poorly educated person and he needs help with his command of the English language if he should hope to excel in interviews regarding his sketchy past. On the other hand, he could write for the Sun-Sentinel.
1 stnna

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#17 Feb 20, 2009
wade has aids!
Chairman of the Boards

Jensen Beach, FL

#18 Feb 21, 2009
Great story - talk about perseverance and hard work. When the Moon hits the sky that's amore, I mean that's the NBA.
New Slogan

Jensen Beach, FL

#19 Feb 21, 2009
Moon over Miami.
Geronimos Heirs

Miami, FL

#20 Feb 21, 2009
When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I
understood as a child, I thought as a child:
but when I became a man, I put away childish
things. For now we see through a glass,
darkly; but then face to face: now I know in
part; but then shall I know even as also I am
known

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jason Williams Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jones' defense HUGE vs. Spurs' Parker down stretch (Feb '07) Apr '13 Ginobili 4
News Magic's Brandon Bass focusing more on his defense (Jan '11) Jan '11 Atl Gator 1
News TOO FAR Dwight Howard should play hard every game (May '10) Jun '10 Chuck Universe 15
News NBA: Another Magic overhaul? GM says it's unlikely (Jun '10) Jun '10 money man 1
News Celtics seem very hungry (May '10) May '10 MJZ 2
News Clippers are not so super (Dec '09) Dec '09 Tiffany 5
News Heat's Jason Williams could be option for Orlan... (Jan '08) Nov '09 max 21
More from around the web