Bulls fall to Portland in double OT

Bulls fall to Portland in double OT

There are 23 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 3, 2008, titled Bulls fall to Portland in double OT. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Jarrett Jack drove for a go-ahead basket and converted a three-point play with 19 seconds left in the second overtime Thursday night and the Portland Trail Blazers outlasted the Bulls 115-109 for their 15th win ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
stan

United States

#1 Jan 3, 2008
wow! Blazers are for real. Gotta give them props for having so much poise down the stretch for such a young team.
John A S

United States

#2 Jan 3, 2008
The Blazers are not so much real as that the Bulls are mediocre. Pippen may not know how to apply for a job, but his criticism of Paxson's backcourt selection is right on. Did all of you watch Brandon Roy? He was available when the Bulls drafted one guy and traded for another that played a whole 3 minutes tonight. This is still an indictment of Paxson as GM. Draft little guards and big men who can't score. Deng is his one right on draft out of six low draft picks. Winning a couple of games changes nothing. Pax must go.
Terry

United States

#3 Jan 3, 2008
Right on John A S. This game was exhibit A, B, C, etc. in proving up how the Bulls draft picks of late have gone awry or are inferior to their counterparts on other teams. Hinrich, Duhon, Gordon, even Deng .... either too small, not big enough hands, bad ball handlers, not good enough shooters, can't finish at the hoop; need I say more? Too much reliance on guys like Hinrich, Duhon, even Nocioni for outside shots. They're having horrible shooting years, missing wide open shots ... all of 'em. Is there anyone left who seriously thinks this team doesn't need a trade for better outside shooters and better "go-to" guys in the clutch? Also, I think the season has already "slipped away", so how about playing Tyrus so he can get the work/experience? In addition to Roy, think of the other guys that we could have had in recent years by drafting differently or moving up .... Deron Williams, Chris Paul, Aldridge, the kid in Sacramento, etc. This team needs more scorers and better set-up men .... amen.
scott skiles

Owensboro, KY

#4 Jan 3, 2008
john paxson will go next.. but the fact is these players are a bunch of no-good losers.. they need to go first.
Marc

United States

#5 Jan 4, 2008
Ah yes, the sting of a double overtime loss is felt...see, this is what happens when Boylan's Bulls go up against a good team...same ol same ol for the Bulls...a nice effort, but in the end, just too darn AVERAGE to pull away from the Blazers...Patrick from Florida called me out yestersay because I said this Bulls team is going nowhere and Boylan isn't the answer...but don't worry Bulls fans, the Kings and Knicks are up next for the AVERAGE AT BEST Bulls...some people will never learn, like Patrick from Boca Raton...I mean, there are actually Bulls fans out there who think the problem was Skiles...and there are Bulls fans out there who actually think Boylan will lead this team to the promiseland...I feel bad for those people...they just don't understand basketball...so the Bulls might get a few cheap wins coming up against the pathetic Kings and Knicks...but real basketball people understand this just isn't a good team...the Bulls can beat up on the crap teams, but teams like the Spurs, Magic and now Blazers, it's not going to happen with THIS ROSTER AND COACH...there, I said it, for the millionth time...will anyone agree with me? The Bulls are a nice team with good citizens and nice smiles, but if you think this team is anything more than a 8, 9, 10, or 11 seed in the East, wake up and smell reality...once again, it feels so good to be right...
Hardliner

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Jan 4, 2008
John Paxson Chose Tyrus Thomas over both Brandon Roy and Lamarcus Aldridge. Being that the Bulls had so many guards I was not surprised when Paxson passed on Roy. What did surprise me was drafting Aldridge and then trading him for Thomas when the Bulls clearly needed a low post scorer and presence. Combine that with the mistake of signing Ben Wallace and the bloom is off of the rose for John Paxson and his team.

I have a feeling Paxson is going to ride this out this year and not make any more changes, which believe it or not could mean missing the playoffs. Its getting awfully late in the game to expect this team to run off a couple of ten game winning streaks. What a colossal disappointment they have been and the blame should be laid squarely at the feet of John Paxson.
Patrick

United States

#7 Jan 4, 2008
Marc wrote:
Ah yes, the sting of a double overtime loss is felt...see, this is what happens when Boylan's Bulls go up against a good team...same ol same ol for the Bulls...a nice effort, but in the end, just too darn AVERAGE to pull away from the Blazers...Patrick from Florida called me out yestersay because I said this Bulls team is going nowhere and Boylan isn't the answer...but don't worry Bulls fans, the Kings and Knicks are up next for the AVERAGE AT BEST Bulls...some people will never learn, like Patrick from Boca Raton...I mean, there are actually Bulls fans out there who think the problem was Skiles...and there are Bulls fans out there who actually think Boylan will lead this team to the promiseland...I feel bad for those people...they just don't understand basketball...so the Bulls might get a few cheap wins coming up against the pathetic Kings and Knicks...but real basketball people understand this just isn't a good team...the Bulls can beat up on the crap teams, but teams like the Spurs, Magic and now Blazers, it's not going to happen with THIS ROSTER AND COACH...there, I said it, for the millionth time...will anyone agree with me? The Bulls are a nice team with good citizens and nice smiles, but if you think this team is anything more than a 8, 9, 10, or 11 seed in the East, wake up and smell reality...once again, it feels so good to be right...
Marc I'm not exactly sure why you think I was calling you out. I actually agree with pretty much everything you write regarding this team going nowhere fast. I think you are so used to extreme sarcasm that you can't imagine that someone wouldn't be sarcastic. Anyway, Kosmo Kramer from the desert in Arizona is the one that doesn't appreciate your opinion.
kirk_must_go

Ashburn, VA

#8 Jan 4, 2008
How much longer do I have to watch Gordon turn the ball over in crucial spots at the end of the game? That's twice this week. How much longer do I have to watch this midget backcourt get pushed around by bigger guards? What sux is last night the guard we should have drafted was the one doing the pushing. Coaching change doesn't fix Paxson's deficiency in talent.
Jerome

United States

#9 Jan 4, 2008
bulls are playing tougher for boylan, but i agree...the guards around helping. heinrich dribbles to much, forces passes and turnovers mount. on top of that he ain't shooting well. no help down low. bulls can't score except for smith and gordon. need a big trade to salvage season. maybe low draft pick in the spring.
John Bender

Durham, NC

#10 Jan 4, 2008
Who needs Kobe?

Apparently the Chicago Bulls do.

They had last night's game won a few times but couldn't finish the job. Pathetic.
Joe

United States

#12 Jan 4, 2008
If Deng could have stayed in the game, I think this would have been a different outcome, but regardless, its becoming blatantly obvious this is not a good team. Even if this team does make the playoffs...and I think they will...it doesnt matter. They arent going to beat the Pistons or the Celtics and are certainly not going to beat any West team or Lebron for that matter. I like all these guys a lot and I have backed them for the last 5 years, but I think its time to realize that this team just isnt that good. One last thing...Nocioni and Hinrich were useless down the stretch. Hinrich was alright defensively, but Nocioni was a waste of space (that coming from a huge Noc fan.) All in all its been a dissapointing year for sure.
Milan

Needham, MA

#13 Jan 4, 2008
Aldridge for Thomas and drafting another guy that can't score like Noah didn't help matters. Good scouting Paxson and company! Is Chris Weber still unemployed?!!!
Patrick

United States

#14 Jan 4, 2008
Milan wrote:
Aldridge for Thomas and drafting another guy that can't score like Noah didn't help matters. Good scouting Paxson and company! Is Chris Weber still unemployed?!!!
Not sure why Paxson traded for Kryhapa either. Were Pax & Skiles not on the same page or did they discover that he can't play after trading for him? Either way it is another black eye for Pax who is starting to look like Spinks against Tyson.
Larry In Lincolnwood

United States

#16 Jan 4, 2008
John A S. You said it all!
Nah, I got a few more shots:

1. When was the last time Nocioni passed the ball or tried to take a shot more in his range. Last year he got lucky with making some three's- so now he thinks he is on automatic.
Memo to Chapu- you stink! Get your head in the game and know when and from where to shoot.

2. Boylan should not be the coach. The entire coaching crew should have been fired and a managing consultant brought in to know when to call timeouts, do rotations- because Boylan is clueless. The organization should have given up on the season, use the coach/consultant to analyze over the next 15 games who is worth keeping so that Paxson can start making trades in January and be ready for the next draft, if he ain't sitting home watching it on tv (if ya knows what I means).
P.S. If Boylan had put Smith in the Orlando game in the second half, as I wrote the other day, we would have won that one.

3. How come a guy like Roy (Rookie of Year) knows how to dribble at the end of a game while being poised and Gordon, 4 years in the league, still can't? As I wrote the other day- the guy can't dribble in a crowd. It's getting tiring. It doesn't matter how many points he gets. He should be backing someone up on another time playing maybe 15 minutes in a controlled atmosphere where someone else sets him up with shots.

4. TNT's broadcast using Doug Collins puts the local boys to shame.
So right on, putting statistics on the screen that are meaningful, etc.

5. Scottie- you are a jerk for 1.8 seconds, for driving with a revolver out in the open in your Jeep, and other things- but, you are right on
and I'm ready to give you the keys to the Berto Center and your next 15 minutes of fame.
Florida Jim

Clermont, FL

#17 Jan 4, 2008
The game was painful to watch as the Bulls gave away a 14 point lead and could not rebound effectively late in the game and both overtimes. Wallace cannot grasp the ball on rebounds and merely tips it, or tries to, he is too short and lost his desire to never give up. Ben Gordon lost the ball twice while dribbling into trouble while, in one case, Heinrich stould and watched rather than move into position for a pass from Gordon. Heinrich cannot guard Roy and where was Sefalosha? They looked lost and without a leader. Why Heinrich refuses to push the ball into the paint and pass off, like Nash, is beyond me. I refuse to purchase the pay games in the NBA because of the selfishness exhibited by the players. I have watched the NBA since the Calumet Buccaneers in 1947 but today's group, other than Phoenix, San Antonio and Boston have turned me off.
augiedog34

Portland, OR

#18 Jan 4, 2008
It was a great game. It is a shame either team had to lose. It all came down to who was going to make the big mistake, and that big mistake was Ben Gordon turning over the ball in a crucial position. How about giving some credit to these young Blazers though. Don't they remind you of the young Bulls team that made the playoffs when nobody thought they would from a couple of years ago?
Terry

United States

#19 Jan 4, 2008
Unfortunately, the only way a Reinsdorf franchise will ever get the message is if the fan unrest-dissatisfaction hits them in the pocketbook; ain't gonna happen with the Bulls ..... too many fatcats and assorted numbnuts in this town for which a night at the United Center is a pleasant outing with the boys or a significant other regardless of the outcome on the court. The fans that come out and spoil this team are hopeless; bad "product" and they still patronize. True, they don't cheer much (it's been as quiet as a morgue) during the game either, but they just don't get the message. Why waste their time/money? And, isn't it fun to see how much Sir Charles/Kenny enjoy it when TNT covers a Bulls game? Folks; we gots to do something to get a basketball team that restores a little of the franchise's earlier credibility/prestige. This is just too embarrassing.
MattM

Trumbull, CT

#21 Jan 4, 2008
If you want to see a lousy team you should watch the Knicks..Chicago is far from terrible. The reason Gordon can't dribble ( or pass)out of CROWD is the CROWD. The defense doesn't have to guard anyone else. Collins pointed out correctly that using a high pick and roll doesn't work with Ben Wallace because the defense doesn't have to slide to cover him leaving the double team on Gordon.
Gordon is an easy target because of the critical timing of the turnover,same as the Orlando game , but without his offense, they lose the game by twenty games. Entertaining games anyway.
Patrick

Boca Raton, FL

#22 Jan 4, 2008
MattM wrote:
If you want to see a lousy team you should watch the Knicks..Chicago is far from terrible. The reason Gordon can't dribble ( or pass)out of CROWD is the CROWD. The defense doesn't have to guard anyone else. Collins pointed out correctly that using a high pick and roll doesn't work with Ben Wallace because the defense doesn't have to slide to cover him leaving the double team on Gordon.
Gordon is an easy target because of the critical timing of the turnover,same as the Orlando game , but without his offense, they lose the game by twenty games. Entertaining games anyway.
Matt, I've been anticipating this post. I feel for you, I know you're a huge Gordon fan, he keeps them in the game and then makes a critical turnover that gets all the headlines. For once I'm agreeing with you. Not fair, he had a good game. The coach has to diagram plays to play to his strengths.
RIPCITYD

Portland, OR

#23 Jan 4, 2008
Get use to losing to the third youngest team in NBA history! You no longer have the great Michael Jordan{should of been ours}. We owe da Bulls some ASS WHIPPINS, and it started last nite. When Greg Oden comes back next year {and wins rookie of the year},we will be tearing the NBA{nothing but average}league up.RIP CITY is back, and we are once again RED HOT &ROLLIN! Can you spell dynasty biotch!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jarrett Jack Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News LeBron James Gives Wade, Bosh Cold Shoulder, Tr... (Jul '14) Aug '14 NBA Fan 7
News Should Cleveland Cavaliers Listen to Offers for... (May '14) Jul '14 wertgh 2
News Chris Bosh has Hangover 3 bachelor party in Vegas (Jul '11) Jul '11 Jate 1
News Recap: Hornets Drop Lakers In Stunning Game 1 U... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Kratos_1 5
News Person familiar with trade: 5-player deal sends... (Nov '10) Nov '10 SilverSoftcat319 1
News Timberwolves' losing streak hits 13 as Toronto ... (Mar '10) Mar '10 CamelTow 11
News Cavs fall to 0-2 despite James' triple-double i... (Oct '09) Oct '09 Mee 1
More from around the web