Injured Pierce inspires Celtics, adds...

Injured Pierce inspires Celtics, adds rivalry's lore in Game 1 win

There are 68 comments on the sports.espn.go.com story from Jun 5, 2008, titled Injured Pierce inspires Celtics, adds rivalry's lore in Game 1 win. In it, sports.espn.go.com reports that:

Sprawled near the edge of the famed parquet floor, Paul Pierce grabbed his throbbing right knee and wondered if his first NBA Finals -- the ones he had always dreamed of playing in -- were finished.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at sports.espn.go.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“SEXY BOY”

Since: Mar 08

Philadelphia,PA

#1 Jun 5, 2008
I still think the lakers will win the series ,and the 2008 NBA championship.I think they'll come back and win game two ,and all three games in LA.If not all three,they'll win two of the three in LA,and they'll win 1 of the last two in boston.I just can't see boston;a team who went 7 with an 8 seed and 7 with a one man team,beating the lakers(who whoop the defending champions and are #1 in the toughest conference).If boston wins the series and championship....i will be extremely shocked.
Ochie Poochie

Temecula, CA

#2 Jun 6, 2008
The Celtics did what they were suppose to do and that is win game 1 at home. Hopfully the lakers can pull it together and win game 2. Decent 1st half,weak 2nd half by Lakers. Game 2 is a must win for the LA if they want to win in 6.

“Praise the Lord!”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#3 Jun 6, 2008
Ochie Poochie wrote:
The Celtics did what they were suppose to do and that is win game 1 at home. Hopfully the lakers can pull it together and win game 2. Decent 1st half,weak 2nd half by Lakers. Game 2 is a must win for the LA if they want to win in 6.
That is exactly right.
Kobefan8

Albany, NY

#4 Jun 6, 2008
I don't like the fact we still have not even come within double digits in any of our three defeats. The matchups are bad. We now have to win four of the next six games with possibly three of those six on the road, vs a team we have lost to already all three times by double digits.
Plus, hard to believe a team that was 31-10 on the road and won two in detroit is going to lose all three in LA. We NEED game two big time! Time for Gasol to step up and make Garnett play for more than a quarter on defense. Kobe is Kobe, but Gasol looked like a guy who said "wow, this is the finals!"
Gunnery Sergeant Foley

Fort Recovery, OH

#5 Jun 6, 2008
Celtics. Period.

“Rough road ahead”

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#6 Jun 6, 2008
I have a feeling Paul faked it, it was the only way he save the Celtic from losing game one.

Any way they all were a bit rusty, let's see what the Lakers learned from this.

“Rough road ahead”

Location hidden

#7 Jun 6, 2008
Kobefan8 wrote:
I don't like the fact we still have not even come within double digits in any of our three defeats. The matchups are bad. We now have to win four of the next six games with possibly three of those six on the road, vs a team we have lost to already all three times by double digits.
Plus, hard to believe a team that was 31-10 on the road and won two in detroit is going to lose all three in LA. We NEED game two big time! Time for Gasol to step up and make Garnett play for more than a quarter on defense. Kobe is Kobe, but Gasol looked like a guy who said "wow, this is the finals!"
You need to step away from the panic buttom.
WWW CHOOSECLICK COM

Europe

#8 Jun 6, 2008

Since: Apr 08

Rye, NY

#9 Jun 6, 2008
i predicted a celtics win but the laker dynasty is nasty
Larry Bird had courtside seats
spaulding

Denver, CO

#10 Jun 6, 2008
CHOCOLATE FLAVOR wrote:
I still think the lakers will win the series ,and the 2008 NBA championship.I think they'll come back and win game two ,and all three games in LA.If not all three,they'll win two of the three in LA,and they'll win 1 of the last two in boston.I just can't see boston;a team who went 7 with an 8 seed and 7 with a one man team,beating the lakers(who whoop the defending champions and are #1 in the toughest conference).If boston wins the series and championship....i will be extremely shocked.
Huh, being from California doesn't seen to be affecting your judgement. TWO of Boston's starters are injured and they still beat LA LA by paying something called DEFENSE.
Foday

Miami, FL

#11 Jun 6, 2008
This was one hell of a game by #34 in second half.
Just Sayin

Miami, FL

#12 Jun 6, 2008
Foday wrote:
This was one hell of a game by #34 in second half.
This was one hell of a game by the Celtics period. Pierce in foul trouble, two starters having to be x-rayed mid game...Garnet's jumper leaves him in the second half and they still win. I can't remember the last time I have seen an NBA team play with so much heart. I went into the season with no feelings for the Celtics (being a Heat fan) and have unwittinglyu become a big fan of these Celtics.

Since: Apr 07

United States

#13 Jun 6, 2008
I see the Celtics in six.

Game one was very revealing for me. The key to the series is two players vs. one. Allen and Posey vs. Kobe. 12 fouls to 6, the fact that Kobe will have to play fewer minutes due to the the toll of having to play harder on both ends of the floor.

In the second half Bryant was pretty much ineffective offensively. The Celtics showed why they were considered the best defensive team in the league this year. Defense wins championships and right now the Celtics defend on demand. With PJ Brown coming off he bench presenting a constant big presence for Gasol, the problem gets worse.

The Lakers will probably counter by turning Lammar Odom loose. Boston seems content to let Odom beat them instead of allowing Kobe and Pau to go crazy. Kobe MUST look to get off early offensively, then become a distributer. He cannot be passive. Attack, attack, attack must be his focus in the first half. Not jumpshots but drive and score, or drive and kick or dish.

Jumpers alone will not get the job done against the Celtics. They rebound too well and you get few offensive boards against them.

“Rough road ahead”

Location hidden

#14 Jun 6, 2008
spaulding wrote:
<quoted text>Huh, being from California doesn't seen to be affecting your judgement. TWO of Boston's starters are injured and they still beat LA LA by paying something called DEFENSE.
So, it was game one it means nothing, adjustment would be made for game 2 they can steal that game and go home to protect their home court advantage.

As they could still lose game 2 and win the next 3 at home and be up 3 to 2 in the series which chances of closing it in game 6.

So what happened during this game doesn not mean much is usually after game 2 where You can tell how thing may turn out and that is why is a seven game series.

“Rough road ahead”

Location hidden

#15 Jun 6, 2008
MarkL5 wrote:
I see the Celtics in six.
Game one was very revealing for me. The key to the series is two players vs. one. Allen and Posey vs. Kobe. 12 fouls to 6, the fact that Kobe will have to play fewer minutes due to the the toll of having to play harder on both ends of the floor.
In the second half Bryant was pretty much ineffective offensively. The Celtics showed why they were considered the best defensive team in the league this year. Defense wins championships and right now the Celtics defend on demand. With PJ Brown coming off he bench presenting a constant big presence for Gasol, the problem gets worse.
The Lakers will probably counter by turning Lammar Odom loose. Boston seems content to let Odom beat them instead of allowing Kobe and Pau to go crazy. Kobe MUST look to get off early offensively, then become a distributer. He cannot be passive. Attack, attack, attack must be his focus in the first half. Not jumpshots but drive and score, or drive and kick or dish.
Jumpers alone will not get the job done against the Celtics. They rebound too well and you get few offensive boards against them.
Dude game one never reveals anything the only thing it does it tell what the other teams plans are, then You got make adjustments.

Game 2 is the real revealing games, You can tell if the other team is able to make adjustment to they threw at each other, usually the team that wins game one makes the less adjustments, but adjustments will be made.
SoCal

Santa Ana, CA

#17 Jun 6, 2008
..........LUCK THE FAKERS..........
celtics pride

Scarborough, ME

#18 Jun 6, 2008
Celtics, in my opinion didnt look all that sharp ... either did the Lakers. They are feeling each other out.Game two WILL determine who wins the Gold Ball.

RRenault ... Game one does mean a whole lot. What it means is this ...We need to win only three more times, thats one less than the Lakers need. Do the math. By the way, if you dont think the C's can win one at the Staples Center you are a bit confused my friend.

Since: Apr 07

United States

#19 Jun 6, 2008
rrenault wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude game one never reveals anything the only thing it does it tell what the other teams plans are, then You got make adjustments.
Game 2 is the real revealing games, You can tell if the other team is able to make adjustment to they threw at each other, usually the team that wins game one makes the less adjustments, but adjustments will be made.
Dood, I don't agree. PJ Brown looks to be the factor that nobody knew existed. If he plays as he did last night and gets more minutes than in the first three rounds, the Lakers are out-sized. You can't coach size.

Make all the adjustments you want. The game still comes down to fundamental stats. Rebounding is one of them. Rebounding will force the Lakers to shoot a higher percentage.

Rebounding edge to the Celtics.
spaulding

Denver, CO

#20 Jun 6, 2008
rrenault wrote:
<quoted text>
So, it was game one it means nothing, adjustment would be made for game 2 they can steal that game and go home to protect their home court advantage.
As they could still lose game 2 and win the next 3 at home and be up 3 to 2 in the series which chances of closing it in game 6.
So what happened during this game doesn not mean much is usually after game 2 where You can tell how thing may turn out and that is why is a seven game series.
Colby Cheese will manage to get himself arrested. I don't care for either team and if you would look at it rationally, the Celtics are the better team.
Respect

Tolland, CT

#21 Jun 6, 2008
CHOCOLATE FLAVOR wrote:
#1 in conference...how quaint. We were #1 in the ENTIRE NBA in reg. season. And (ahem) are you gonna actually win one game against us this year? I think we all agree that you will, only you haven't yet...
And, it could be argued that the Kobe Lakers are as much a one man team as the Lebron Cavs. I disagree with both descriptions, btw.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

James Posey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Millsap scores 24 points, Jazz beat Hornets (Feb '10) Feb '10 drshort 1
News Lightning strikes Timberwolves a second time as... (Jan '10) Jan '10 Wolvesfan 3
News Preview: San Antonio Spurs @ New Orleans Hornets (Jan '10) Jan '10 Quirk 1
News Hornets Lose 121-63 (Apr '09) Apr '09 Mookie 1
News New Orleans Hornets Roster Report (Apr '09) Apr '09 Mookie 1
News Hornets Hype | D-D-D-D-Denver D-D-D-D-fense D-D... (Apr '09) Apr '09 Mookie 1
News Hornets coach says his team needs to help super... (Apr '09) Apr '09 Mookie 1
More from around the web