The Real McCoy: Let's cool it on anoi...

The Real McCoy: Let's cool it on anointing the Heat

There are 8 comments on the Monterey County Herald story from Jul 22, 2010, titled The Real McCoy: Let's cool it on anointing the Heat. In it, Monterey County Herald reports that:

I t's been two weeks since LeBron James announced that he will "bring talents to South Beach." Yet it's still front-page news.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Monterey County Herald.

Annoiter

Hollywood, FL

#1 Jul 22, 2010
I hereby anoint the Miami Heat as champions of the world.
Some Guy

Flower Mound, TX

#2 Jul 22, 2010
Hey Laura,

U Mad?

Go Heat!
Muni

Dallas, TX

#13 Jul 22, 2010
This article makes no sense. And he even paid off Mario Chalmers for his #6? What's the big deal about that - happens all the time.
Besides "The Decision", everything LeBron has done signals how he's more focused on his team, the environment, and just plain winning. When was the last time we've seen a player say "screw loyalty, screw awards, screw money, I just want to win"? That's what LeBron just did. He never has indicated he cares more about the scoring title or MVPs. The 1-hour show was a poor decision, but it really has nothing to do with basketball. Same applies for Bosh. Remember, these guys have been teammates before - the transition will be a lot easier than you think. If they didn't enjoy playing together last time, they wouldn't have come together now.
The Heat are basically bringing back the same core rotation from last year's team, which won 47 games and was 5th in the East. However, Miami has now replaced Michael Beasley with LeBron James, Jermaine O'Neal with Chris Bosh, and Quentin Richardson with Mike Miller. That's probably at least 15 more wins right there. You really don't think those are solid enough upgrades to get over whatever the bench lacks? Yes we have yet to see them play, and we can expect some bumps along the road, but I don't doubt for a second that this will be the best team in, at the very least, the Eastern Conference.
Eaze

Raleigh, NC

#14 Jul 22, 2010
While I agree they have to play the games to see how this works, it's also a bit small minded to think these players didn't think of all this before signing on. Why would they be worried about scoring titles? Wade and James have accomplished that already. Bottom line is the league has never seen a situation like this any frankly it seems no one knows how to react. I will say that most members of the media have shown themselves to be less than insightful. Mostly just jumping of the negative bandwagon.

I can not believe some of the crap I read, surely makes me now know that most of these writers are no more qualified to write things than the average sports fan. I think the Heat will be fine. The wanted to be consistent contenders and I think they will be. I don't expect them to win the championship every year but I do expect them to be amongst the few to compete for it.

The bench is fine, no much better or worse then the Laker's or Celtics bench who played in the finals last year. Wade and Lebron will make all the role players look better than they are. The role players just have to master whatever roles assigned and let Wade, Lebron and Bosh do the heavy lifting. All they need is one or two bench players to step up every so often.
Wade and James can alternative their resting periods, that's a non issue and I can't believe that was even written as a concern. They play together for the first 7-8 minutes of a quarter then one takes a rest for 2-3 minutes then alternates. With team time outs and TV time outs they will get enough rest and even cut their minutes down from what they played previously. They have the luxury of having either Wade, Lebron or Bosh on the floor at all times and playing through any on of the guys with bench players surrounding them. That would essentially be almost the same as when they were with their old teams and they still managed to win. What's wrong starting line up of Chalmers, Wade, Lebron, Bosh and Anthony. A second unit line up of Arroyo, Miller, Lebron, Haslem and Ilgauskas. Tell me what's wrong with that, looks pretty good actually. And you can interchange those pieces a few ways. Wade comes in for Lebron, Miller moves to SF. Bosh comes back for Haslem and Haslem moves to Center (depending on the matchup).

I tend to look at how well they might play together. I guess the other teams are hoping there are chemistry issues because if there are not then many teams are going to have their hands full. I suspect the Heat will see a lot of zone defense. I would worry more about off the court issue in south beach rather the on the court problems.
Kyle Murphy

Dayton, OH

#17 Jul 22, 2010
Udonis Haslem would be coming in for Bosh at the PF position, they have 4 centers who are 7foot to help Bosh in the paint, Mike Miller a 47% 3pt shooter last year, James Jones high caliber player than expected based on money as well, and experience off the bench. That experience from the bench may not make the most plays but they won't play sloppy basketball. Some of those players which you put down aren't half bad, as Mario Chalmers played 20+mins a game for the Heat last year and scoring 8-10 pts a game.
It's hard to say how the Heat will deal with someone like Howard in the middle, and Gasol for that matter. I'm slow to discount how many threats this team has going for them on both sides as Wade and LBJ are well known for blocks, steals, and good defense. Not to mention the threesome on offense would be dizzying. They should be expected to go to the finals, and win a championship, someones getting fired if not (Erik Spoelstra).
MrA305

Miami, FL

#18 Jul 22, 2010
I'm still wondering why do you haters waste your time speculating and predicting the Heat's performance next season?
Give it a break already, there are hateful articles like this one; popping up on the web every 5 seconds. LAME.
Hate LBJ, Wade, Bosh and the HEAT all you want; they're still going to win a few championships within the next five years whether you like it or not.
Anointer

Hollywood, FL

#19 Jul 22, 2010
I too anoint the Miami Heat as champions of the world.
Mark G

Spain

#20 Jul 24, 2010
I love how the average fan sounds so much more informed than the sports journalist here. Will lebron be okay with not scoring 30 points after he just paid chalmers for his jersey number!? Seriously? Why can't someone in the media sit down for an hour or two and think of issues that will actually be of importance. Player rotation, key matchups, player roles... To name a few. Time to step your game up mr media man.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

James Jones Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mike Miller says he will be ready for Heat season (Sep '12) Sep '12 Ginobili 1
News Heat courting free agent guard Ray Allen: source (Jul '12) Jul '12 Ginobili 3
News Miami Heat rallies in second half to top Oklaho... (Jun '12) Jun '12 Ginobili 1
News Players' union to meet Monday to discuss NBA's ... (Nov '11) Nov '11 New York Doctor 2
News Miami Heat: Can Dwyane Wade Lead Them to the Ch... (Sep '11) Sep '11 Nzeza 1
News Heat 99, Celtics 90: Hostilities under way | Th... (May '11) May '11 LeBronFan 2
News House scores 35 points, Heat beat Raptors 97-79 (Apr '11) Apr '11 wezzy 1
More from around the web