Grizzlies' Walker expects buyout, seeks new team

Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - Antoine Walker found himself in a familiar stance Sunday, offering farewells while surrounded by Heat players.
Comments
1 - 14 of 14 Comments Last updated Dec 16, 2008
Grateful to Antoine

Lexington, KY

#1 Dec 15, 2008
Thank you Antoine for the important and largely underrated role you played in delivering Miami its first NBA championship.

It may be against policy, but I'm going to post a youtube link below:

Of particular interest: Antoine knocking down clutch shots at 0:39 and 1:43, and at 2:20 note the stone-cold numbers in the stat sheet. Wade and Shaq got the glory, but it takes the ALL-AROUND contributions of an Antoine to make a great team a championship team. Notice the announcer at about 2:23 saying the Heat get the winner of Pistons-Cavs.
Remember Miami fans, you got the much needed rest and preparation time from wrapping up this series that was indispensable in upsetting Detroit AT DETROIT in game one. That was the difference. Detroit won game 2 at home after regrouping, Miami took care of home in games 3 and 4, Detroit won at home in game 5, Miami won at home in game 6. That's the series. Game 1 is the only game in the 2006 ECF where the away team wins a game. Had the Heat-Nets series gone 7 or even 6, I think the Pistons would have won game 1 in the next series and would have gone on to win it. But thankfully for Miami, Antoine stepped up big in games 2 through 5. In game 5 as we see above, the final margin of victory for Miami was ONE POINT. ONE POINT. It's why I subscribe to the view that Antoine was "the difference that made the difference" and this notion that there truly is a fine line between ending up in a championship outcome versus falling short. New Jersey brought their best, so it was incumbent upon a player like Antoine to step up for Miami and not only score, but to also contribute rebounds, creating opportunities for others (as evidenced by 4 assists) and making timely plays on defense (2 steals). And to bring the intangibles that don't show up in the stat sheet. The fiery streak, the competitiveness. Miami fans, be grateful you had Antoine Walker on your team. Yes, he was second on your team in scoring average during the NBA finals, but as I seek to illustrate above, you don't even make it that far without the strong second round play from Antoine. Fans, you have likely forgotten the facts, and that's fine. But for those Miami fans who seem more inclined to try and knock Antoine, at least demonstrate the class and semi-gratitude for Antoine by not bashing the guy and being outright disrespectful towards him. Acknowledge that he was on your franchise's lone championship team, and leave it at that if you are tempted to tear the guy down for sport. Exhibit some class. For the Miami fans out there who already get this, then my apologies for having to spend time on this.
Banana Republic

Hollywood, FL

#3 Dec 15, 2008
Come on Rook!!! Humans cant contract illnesses from dogs!!!
Olga Fugusev

Coral Gables, FL

#4 Dec 15, 2008
Grateful to Antoine wrote:
Thank you Antoine for the important and largely underrated role you played in delivering Miami its first NBA championship.
It may be against policy, but I'm going to post a youtube link below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =TXkIXuoGVbwXX
Of particular interest: Antoine knocking down clutch shots at 0:39 and 1:43, and at 2:20 note the stone-cold numbers in the stat sheet. Wade and Shaq got the glory, but it takes the ALL-AROUND contributions of an Antoine to make a great team a championship team. Notice the announcer at about 2:23 saying the Heat get the winner of Pistons-Cavs.
Remember Miami fans, you got the much needed rest and preparation time from wrapping up this series that was indispensable in upsetting Detroit AT DETROIT in game one. That was the difference. Detroit won game 2 at home after regrouping, Miami took care of home in games 3 and 4, Detroit won at home in game 5, Miami won at home in game 6. That's the series. Game 1 is the only game in the 2006 ECF where the away team wins a game. Had the Heat-Nets series gone 7 or even 6, I think the Pistons would have won game 1 in the next series and would have gone on to win it. But thankfully for Miami, Antoine stepped up big in games 2 through 5. In game 5 as we see above, the final margin of victory for Miami was ONE POINT. ONE POINT. It's why I subscribe to the view that Antoine was "the difference that made the difference" and this notion that there truly is a fine line between ending up in a championship outcome versus falling short. New Jersey brought their best, so it was incumbent upon a player like Antoine to step up for Miami and not only score, but to also contribute rebounds, creating opportunities for others (as evidenced by 4 assists) and making timely plays on defense (2 steals). And to bring the intangibles that don't show up in the stat sheet. The fiery streak, the competitiveness. Miami fans, be grateful you had Antoine Walker on your team. Yes, he was second on your team in scoring average during the NBA finals, but as I seek to illustrate above, you don't even make it that far without the strong second round play from Antoine. Fans, you have likely forgotten the facts, and that's fine. But for those Miami fans who seem more inclined to try and knock Antoine, at least demonstrate the class and semi-gratitude for Antoine by not bashing the guy and being outright disrespectful towards him. Acknowledge that he was on your franchise's lone championship team, and leave it at that if you are tempted to tear the guy down for sport. Exhibit some class. For the Miami fans out there who already get this, then my apologies for having to spend time on this.
That was then. This is now. Unfortunately you are only as good as your last game in this league
Sunshine girl

Pompano Beach, FL

#5 Dec 15, 2008
Banana Republic wrote:
He got the flu from the dog? What was he doing with the dog? I'm not so sure about him now. I had to read that one over and over. It took me a while to figure out what he was talking about.
carlos

Quezon City, Philippines

#6 Dec 15, 2008
walker the next posey for the celtics go Boston!!!!
Noo

Charlestown, MA

#7 Dec 15, 2008
Shut up Miami fans. Antoine acted like a pro something your organization has no clue about
Noo

Charlestown, MA

#8 Dec 15, 2008
Olga do no one that won a title in Miami can ever get any credit because it happened 2 years ago?

Woww Miami fans are a joke and your comments prove that
Noo

Charlestown, MA

#9 Dec 15, 2008
Ira being calm about Toine. Something is up
Jose Cuervo

United States

#10 Dec 16, 2008
Banana Republic wrote:
Depends on the nature of the contact. Do you know their relationship?
Jose Cuervo

United States

#11 Dec 16, 2008
Noo wrote:
Ira being calm about Toine. Something is up
...on his way back to Miami?
mydrick taylor

Miami, FL

#12 Dec 16, 2008
i never knew antoine was in this situation but if they do buyout his contract it wont take long for any time to try and aquire this guy and it would be great if the heat could bring him back to miami
coach acie earl

Spring Valley, MN

#13 Dec 16, 2008
to mot use antoine walker is just stupid, he can spread the floor and he can teach the younger players how to play comptete and play every night in the nba, i hope the grizzlies buy him out so he can go to a contender. www.venomsportstraining.com
trensaun

Orlando, FL

#14 Dec 16, 2008
heat needs offense sign Walker play him with second unit.he can still rebound and he knows the system will stretch the defense and if you gonna trade marion get somthing better than wally from clevland
LOL

Braintree, MA

#15 Dec 16, 2008
If Riley trades Marion for Wally he should be hung

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

James Jones Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mike Miller says he will be ready for Heat season (Sep '12) Sep '12 Ginobili 1
Heat courting free agent guard Ray Allen: source (Jul '12) Jul '12 Ginobili 3
Miami Heat rallies in second half to top Oklaho... (Jun '12) Jun '12 Ginobili 1
Players' union to meet Monday to discuss NBA's ... (Nov '11) Nov '11 New York Doctor 2
Miami Heat: Can Dwyane Wade Lead Them to the Ch... (Sep '11) Sep '11 Nzeza 1
Heat 99, Celtics 90: Hostilities under way | Th... (May '11) May '11 LeBronFan 2
House scores 35 points, Heat beat Raptors 97-79 (Apr '11) Apr '11 wezzy 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

James Jones People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••