Magic's Nelson could return for Finals

Magic's Nelson could return for Finals

There are 132 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from May 31, 2009, titled Magic's Nelson could return for Finals. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

If he's judged healthy enough to return within the next few days, Orlando Magic all-star point guard Jameer Nelson will play against the team he was instrumental in beating twice this season --- the Los Angeles Lakers --- in the NBA Finals.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Jared from Broward

United States

#1 May 31, 2009
Wow, this is great news. I'm a little concerned, however, that Jameer may not have been shooting since the injury and obviously he's not in game shape. We have such great chemistry right now I'm leery that throwing Jameer in the mix could alter things. Still, he's an All-Star who has proven he can play great against the Lakers so lets bring him along slowly if he can play. Go Magic!
LOL

Kissimmee, FL

#2 May 31, 2009
Which shoulder did he hurt? I'm more concerned with his shooting ability with this much time away from the game. Even if he only plays a few minutes, I wouldn't want to keep a guy from playing in the finals.
Fan since the beginning

Orlando, FL

#3 May 31, 2009
I say keep things the way they are. Don't mess with what's working. You might regret it.
Told u so

Clermont, FL

#4 May 31, 2009
The lakers are nervous at the very thought of jameer playing, anyway i trust the team to do the right thing if he's in uniform he'll be alright. 15 to 20 minutes off the bemch is all that's needed
Johnnywho

United States

#5 May 31, 2009
Wow! You mean Jameer has been injured since early Feb.? I had no idea that the Magic had been missing him at all, since the village idiots in the media only seem to talk about KG and the wantabe superstar Leon Powe out with injuries. Jesus, I guess we are lucky to have made it this far.
mccreet

Eddyville, KY

#6 May 31, 2009
If he is back to the jameer that played before the injury, that would be great. With that in mind, I see how the team as a whole responds on the floor. It could be a huge lift right when we need it. Good luck Jameer,GO MAGIC , BEAT LA!
Local resident

Enfield, NC

#7 May 31, 2009
Our goal now is to beat the Lakers 4 games and win the 2009 NBA Finals. The leadership who got us this far, need to sit down together and discuss this scenario for the best interest of helping the franchise achieve this goal. We have very little time to make this decision, before our first Finals game. We have to spend our time preparing our team for winning the Finals.
Shannon Burkes Dog

United States

#8 May 31, 2009
Soprry, Jameer; you've been out far too long and the group of guys which have brought us this far have done an excellent job -- and should be the ones to finish this thing in LA. To briong you in now would be a dis-service to the others.
Smarten Up

Orlando, FL

#9 May 31, 2009
None of you have any idea where he is at in conditioning and shooting.

Jameer knows exactly how the team plays, nothing has changed. He would be an amazing weapon to bring in off the bench for a few minutes. Especially towards the end of this series, he could have the legs we need - and if he's here with conditioning, he's been taking 1'000s of shots around the gym.

A guy with legs towards the end of the game could be a great asset.

I feel bad for him, it would be a wonderful thing if he got to participate.
The Evil Dead

United States

#10 May 31, 2009
First of all....If Jameer comes back for the Finals...He is not going to start. I repeat...he is not going to start. Alston will be our starting guard for the Finals. What Jameer is going to do is play the 15 to 20 minutes of ball game that Anthony Johnson plays. So I ask you this. Is a maybe 95% ready Jameer Nelson better then Old Man Anthony Johnson? Heck yeah!!! Can you imagine Jameer running the second unit in the Finals aginst the Lakers? I am all for it... BUT... If there is one shadow of doubt from a doctor that Jameer is not ready and could hurt himself...I say Otis needs to put the lock down on Nelson and tell him to wait till next year. But if Jameer is cleard to play. And all test come out fine. Put him into the second Unit and lets see what he can do. He has to be better then Johnson's slow moving self scoring 2 points a game. GO MAGIC!!!
sonicrl

Denver, CO

#11 May 31, 2009
If he's cleared to play, let him play. He is not going to be on the floor 48 minutes a game as it is. I'm sure the coach would insert him for short stretches and see if he has a positive impact.
Winning Game 1 in L.A. is a very good possibility. The Lakers seem to take a game or 2 at the outset of a series to get fired up.
Uncle Ruckus

Palm Bay, FL

#12 May 31, 2009
Don't mess with what has been working!
michael

Daytona Beach, FL

#13 May 31, 2009
Why? Who needs him now? Dumb time to mess with the chemistry, you think?
where are the haters

Palatka, FL

#14 May 31, 2009
any non bandwagon fan would be torn on this. one the team is playing well but everyone remember how great he was playing this year and im sure most of the true fans felt a little bad to see him in a suit when we won the east. i would still have to lean towards sitting him down though, dont want to risk further injury and his shooting and conditioning will prob be off. not to mention AJ has done a solid job overall lately.
Sean Reaves

Phoenix, AZ

#15 May 31, 2009
Jameer may get more than 15-20 minutes, depending on how he plays, and where he is at.. He is obviously was our best closer before the game, and I haven't seen Alston really hit a clutch basket at all in the playoffs, nor take a shot.

Plus having your team captain out on the floor is always a great plus.
Smarten Up

Orlando, FL

#16 May 31, 2009
Anyone who doesn't want Jameer in obviously didn't watch the first half of the season, especially those 2 games we came back from 20 down in the 4th quarter.

Offbeat

“ Seal Of Democrat Party”

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#17 May 31, 2009
Told u so wrote:
The lakers are nervous at the very thought of jameer playing, anyway i trust the team to do the right thing if he's in uniform he'll be alright. 15 to 20 minutes off the bemch is all that's needed
Do you have a bug in the Lakers lockers where you heard them say they were nervous? Didn't think so, so shut you pie hole.
Water Boy

Fullerton, CA

#18 May 31, 2009
Its not a question of wanting jameer, its will he perform after warming the bench for so long plagued by injury. Obviously, his minutes would be limited, but his insertion in the game could be costly. Best bet is to stick with Alston, but Hey, better for the Lakers.

I Believe Dwight Will choke under Pressure and the Lakers will close it out in 6.

If i'm wrong, i'll come back and eat a pile of steaming E-shit ;)
ryan

Orlando, FL

#19 May 31, 2009
Great to hear Nelson is doing so well, but it's a risky move for both him and the team's cohesiveness right now.
However, I do think seeing him back in a Magic Jersey (just as a standby) would make a great statement, be one hell of a motivator, and put a little fear in the Laker's eyes ;)
Elias

Valencia, CA

#20 May 31, 2009
Let me just caution Magic fans when they read about how Orlando "swept" the Lakers and how this person or that person "keyed the sweep" against the Lakers. First of all, the Magic played the Lakers only twice this year. Most Western Conference teams play Eastern Conference teams only twice during the regular season. It's not like the Celtics or the Cavs whom the Magic played 4 times. Another thing is the last time the Lakers and Magic played each other was back in January. January! That was a long time ago - so please, let's keep this coming series in perspective. Yes, the Magic swept the Lakers this year but so did the Bobcats.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jameer Nelson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Should Maurice Harkless Still Be a Part of Orla... (Jan '14) Jan '14 edward 1
News NBA notebook - Dec. 1 (Dec '13) Dec '13 Lois 1
News 2013 NBA Draft: Analyzing Orlando Magic's Best ... (Jun '13) Jun '13 willkill 1
News Garrett Temple helps Wizards break routine (Dec '12) Dec '12 Sandra J 1
News Joe Johnson scores 22 points; Nets top Magic 98... (Dec '12) Dec '12 pete 1
News Reports: Magic start interviews for head coach;... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Lois 1
News Schmitz' Take: Magic's new 30-year-old GM bette... (Jun '12) Jun '12 Lois 1
More from around the web