Magic PG Anthony Johnson remains 'the odd man out' in NBA Finals

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

The forgotten man still goes through his usual post-practice routine, shooting short-range jumpers, mid-range jumpers and long-range jumpers while teammates mill about or hit the showers.
Comments
1 - 20 of 21 Comments Last updated Jun 14, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Magic Fan

Lakeland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2009

AJ, be ready you will never know. We don't know what the coach is thinking or management is thinking either. Otis said Nelson will not play this season. I guess he was wrong. We as a fan don't really know who control this leage, the player, coach or owner. You have been a good player for the Magic this season and I know you earn some playing times.... Let go Magic! believe
MainManMagicFan

Defuniak Springs, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2009

Anthony Johnson aka OG Bobby Johnson(South Central movie fame) as I like to call you because you're a vet in this league, thanks for helping my team get to The Finals. Us Magic fans will probably never get to see you in a Magic jersey again. So know that you were appreciated by us during this run and we too felt you deserved to be and should have been out on the floor during these Finals. Good luck wherever you end up playing next season my man OG Bobby Johnson.
john

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2009

I feel sorry for the guy. He did so much for the team this year when Jammer was hurt and he hasn't played a minute in the finals yet.

“ JUSTICE CON'T”

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2009

He is an old guy!
Tyronn Lue

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2009

at least I have someone to talk to....
Stan Van Gundy

Casselberry, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2009

You remember that flare up we had in the Boston series, when Anthony yelled at me during the game....well paybacks a fother mucker...ha ha ha ha ha.. GO Lakers, er I mean Magic..I knew I should have fouled Fisher, but I wanted to see if he could make the shot or not..silly me....oh well....I heard the fish were biting at the Sebastian Inlet...maybe me and Moe Williams can work on our post game interviews together...What do say about that Moe.....I gauruntee I wont be back as the Magic coach next year, if I make another bone headed decision that cost our team the game...I gauruntee!!!!!!
Just dropped in

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2009

Tyronn Lue wrote:
at least I have someone to talk to....
That is hysterical!!! LOL! Great comment TL.

On the flip side, I also feel sorry for AJ. He did a great job and his veteran leadership showed in the playoffs. SVG blew a great chemistry coming into the finals. Thanks AJ for all you have done, you deserve the right to be out there. I don't care what anyone says. You not being there may have cost us.
XeroX

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2009

Great way for Van Gundy to thank a player who help this team so much... that is one of the reasons that gundy looked like a mental case during the last press conference....just another ungrateful idiot with egg on his turd face...this was van gundy's only shot at the title, he blew it and he knows it.
XeroX

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2009

I can't wait to hear the reaction of the crowd when Nelson enters the game.... should break the record for loudest BOO in history.
Size Matters

Warner Robins, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2009

SVG blew this series by screwing with team chemistry. Bill Belichick didn't ruin chemistry when Bledsoe got hurt and Brady was playing great, he continued to start Brady. You don't mess with something that has worked throughout the playoffs. Rafer and Anthony got the magic through the playoffs not Jameer.
Old Knight

Oldsmar, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2009

Totally agree---if somethings not broken don't try to fix it! IF we lose series- I blame it all on the decision to play Nelson!!!!!
George

Glendale, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2009

Magic Fan wrote:
We don't know what the coach is thinking or management is thinking either.
You don't know what Van Dummy is thinking, cause he doesn't even know what he's thinking -- if he's thinking at all. Example: during the post-game press conference he said experience doesn't matter. It doesn't mean anything. WTF? I guess when you don't have experience, you can't see the importance of it while everyone around you can see it clearly. Van Dummy's decision to continue to play Nelson when his "experiment" failed is the definition of insanity -- Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.(Albert Einstein)
deadonthebench

Winter Haven, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2009

SVG is stubborn and AJ ticked him off. AJ had a great playoff run and now he's dead on the bench!

He couldn't perform any worse the JN in the final quarter and o.t.
Boo Who

Winter Haven, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2009

XeroX wrote:
I can't wait to hear the reaction of the crowd when Nelson enters the game.... should break the record for loudest BOO in history.
WTF????? Why in the heck would you boo Nelson? I believe he really wants to win but not having played in months is not his fault. Boo SVG? I wouldn't but if you paid your money, go ahead. Boo Nelson? Classless. What free agent would ever want to come to a "dried up little pond" like the a hole called us if we treat our players like crap??????
The Hawk

Cape Canaveral, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2009

Bad move on SVG, Nelson should have never entered the play off picture. It will cost him the series. Lets pull SVG and bring in Skiles for a game...i mean being away from Orlando for 10 years shouldn't make that much of a difference.
Brian

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2009

Say what you want to about AJ. He is a professional and knows what his limitations are unlike Nelson right now.
Interstate Dude

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2009

Take it from an ol' coach...I saw this one coming - I told you so. Bringing in Nelson was a disruption to what got the Magic to the Finals. Everyone who had a hand in the decision to play him should be let go after the series. Ive one many championships playing what was working best in playoffs and tournaments, without change, no matter who got upset. Many upset parents over the years, but the teams won. I believe this would be at least a tied up series if not the Magic up, had Nelson never entered the picture until next season.
George

Glendale, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2009

Interstate Dude wrote:
Take it from an ol' coach...I saw this one coming - I told you so. Bringing in Nelson was a disruption to what got the Magic to the Finals. Everyone who had a hand in the decision to play him should be let go after the series. Ive one many championships playing what was working best in playoffs and tournaments, without change, no matter who got upset. Many upset parents over the years, but the teams won. I believe this would be at least a tied up series if not the Magic up, had Nelson never entered the picture until next season.
I agree that bad coaching is largely responsible for the Magic's melt down. While I'm happy for your success while coaching at the Y, it's a little different coaching at his level. I hope those parents and little kids you upset have gotten over it.
Master of Panic

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2009

i'm debating whethere i should start nelson at powerforward....he will kill Gasol and stop him on defense.... maybe Tyrone lue guarding kobe is the way to go....Hmmmmmmmmmm
Jimi Streets

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2009

Anthony Johnson is a very classy man. Anyone else would likely be complaining to the press about being in his situation. Not that he would have made a difference in the outcome, but he would have been more effective than Nelson has been.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Jameer Nelson Discussions

Search the Jameer Nelson Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Should Maurice Harkless Still Be a Part of Orla... (Jan '14) Jan '14 edward 1
NBA notebook - Dec. 1 (Dec '13) Dec '13 Lois 1
2013 NBA Draft: Analyzing Orlando Magic's Best ... (Jun '13) Jun '13 willkill 1
Garrett Temple helps Wizards break routine (Dec '12) Dec '12 Sandra J 1
Joe Johnson scores 22 points; Nets top Magic 98... (Dec '12) Dec '12 pete 1
Reports: Magic start interviews for head coach;... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Lois 1
Schmitz' Take: Magic's new 30-year-old GM bette... (Jun '12) Jun '12 Lois 1
•••
•••