Jameer Nelson closer to getting nod f...

Jameer Nelson closer to getting nod for NBA Finals

There are 106 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jun 2, 2009, titled Jameer Nelson closer to getting nod for NBA Finals. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Orlando Magic point guard Jameer Nelson looks to be closer to playing in the NBA Finals against the Los Angeles Lakers as observers said he was flying down the floor, running with the second team in Tuesday's practice.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Wojtek

Tampa, FL

#1 Jun 2, 2009
the only playing time he should get is if we r winig by a 1000 points or loosing by 1000 points,sure he deserves to be on the floor in the finals after all he was a big reason why we r still here, but i don't think he's ready to be on the floor health-wise and playing ready-wise (look at marbury what several months of not playing NBA games did to him)..
Chris

Fate, TX

#3 Jun 2, 2009
Can we please not talk about team chemistry and Jameer messing with that?

He's not coming back to be the starter and likely will play less than AJ if everything is going well. IMO, he only plays if the Magic are completely tanking on offense. Then he just comes in as an offensive spark off the bench for a few minutes.

And let's face it, Jameer is loved by his teammates so just the emotional boost of him stepping on the floor for a few minutes could be all that the team needs to get things turned around when the going gets tough!
Chris

Fate, TX

#4 Jun 2, 2009
And let's forget the whole "don't risk" further injury arguement. They have already said that there is no way he plays if he's at risk to reinjure the shoulder. Even Jameer said he wouldn't risk his future to play in the series.
Amazed

Winter Springs, FL

#5 Jun 2, 2009
Chris wrote:
Can we please not talk about team chemistry and Jameer messing with that?
He's not coming back to be the starter and likely will play less than AJ if everything is going well. IMO, he only plays if the Magic are completely tanking on offense. Then he just comes in as an offensive spark off the bench for a few minutes.
And let's face it, Jameer is loved by his teammates so just the emotional boost of him stepping on the floor for a few minutes could be all that the team needs to get things turned around when the going gets tough!
I completely agree with you. The emotional spark will be tremendous, but I don't think they need to risk him for the future. Maybe just play him a few minutes. I also think AJ and Rafar deserve the playing time after their performance in the playoffs.
Stan the Man

Palm Coast, FL

#6 Jun 2, 2009
If Jameer Nelson plays in the Finals, Rafer Alston should start. Bring him in for a couple of minutes to get back into the pace of a basketball game and hopefully he could get his shot back. I still don't think it's a good idea to rush him back so soon, but we'll see what happens. Go Magic!
Lamar

United States

#8 Jun 2, 2009
I can't think of a worse idea than trying to blend in a new player in the rotation.
LMAO

AOL

#9 Jun 2, 2009
The more playing time they give Jameer the sooner the Lakers can get the series over with.
PLAY JAMEER!
:)
Mark

Aarhus, Denmark

#10 Jun 2, 2009
I don't wanna see him playing in the finals, only because it will arguably hurt his ratings in the forthcoming video games :)
chad edwards

Austin, TX

#11 Jun 2, 2009
Lamar wrote:
I can't think of a worse idea than trying to blend in a new player in the rotation.
its not a new player man, far from it.
Van Gundys Mustache

Orlando, FL

#12 Jun 2, 2009
He plays his ass off whenever he is on the floor. They may need him against the Lakers and it is a great weapon to have coming off the bench. Go Magic.
Jimmy C

Kissimmee, FL

#13 Jun 2, 2009
Horrible idea! Why mess with the chemistry this is the best the team has ever played and the last thing we need is this black hole shoot first point guard to mess all of that up. He never gets anyone involved but himself. Keep him in a suit and we will be raising the trophy. Magic in 7.
SerialOffender

United States

#14 Jun 2, 2009
LMAO wrote:
The more playing time they give Jameer the sooner the Lakers can get the series over with.
PLAY JAMEER!
:)
Right on dude! Seeing the Lakers go down in a sweep instead of 6 games without Jameer would be awesome!!!

PLAY JAMEER!

Go Magic!!!
Wow

Williston, FL

#15 Jun 2, 2009
With Pietrus Playing more time with the starters, Jameer could be a huge scoring punch for the 2nd unit. I'd rather have another great weapon, I don't see where he hurts us, Van Gundy will monitor how he does, and adjust accordingly. Trust the coach to make the right call. This is GOOD NEWS!!
JGJ

Orlando, FL

#16 Jun 2, 2009
People:

It is pretty obvious that Jameer is not going to start in the Finals - even if he is given the go-ahead to play against the Lakers. Jameer will provide an emotional lift for the team; his playing time will be very, very limited.

That said - I would hate to see the Magic win a title and Jameer not able to play during the playoff run...

BTW - Otis Smith has turned out to be a pretty descent GM, regardless of how the Finals turnout...
LOL

Kissimmee, FL

#17 Jun 2, 2009
Jameer is an all-star point guard. If the guy can play, he should play. Van Gundy knows what he's doing.
BillySmith

Tallahassee, FL

#18 Jun 2, 2009
You are all out of your minds. Jameer is so key. Some of the weakest play was by the PG in our playoff run. Turknovers and missed layups everywhere! How many times did Alston miss open 3's (not that on game he went 6 for 12) and countless bad fouls and sloppy passes (you too aj), J.Nelson will be ready, that guy is a stone cold NBA player. If he can go, he can go. Shut up and let the Coach do his job. Nelson i got 110% faith in you. you are strong, fast, and a great shooter! Cant wait to watch you take those terrible LA gaurds to the hoop! We are gonna give LA hell! Go Magic!
Just Me

Mount Dora, FL

#19 Jun 2, 2009
JGJ wrote:
People:
It is pretty obvious that Jameer is not going to start in the Finals - even if he is given the go-ahead to play against the Lakers. Jameer will provide an emotional lift for the team; his playing time will be very, very limited.
That said - I would hate to see the Magic win a title and Jameer not able to play during the playoff run...
BTW - Otis Smith has turned out to be a pretty descent GM, regardless of how the Finals turnout...
I agree. People have been overreacting to the news of Jameer playing. SVG knows more than us how he will fit into the lineup, but I think even a little Jameer is better than no Jameer at all! And it gives the Lakers another X factor to deal with.
Esteban

United States

#20 Jun 2, 2009
Alston is the weak link by far. He shoots worse than Carlos Arroyo if that is possible? He is a momentum killer, so anything thing we can do to reduce his minutes is a plus. By the way, whatever happened to all those Arroyo fans anyway? Is dude still chunking up bricks? And for all his supporters that bailed and had nothing but bad stuff to say about the magic and jameer How about them Magic!!!!!!!!!!
Magic ring

Orlando, FL

#22 Jun 2, 2009
What's the big deal ? Adonal Foyle will be removed from the playoff roster and Jameer will be inserted. He will start playing during first available garbage time and if he plays well, may be used more often throughout the finals.
Master of Magic

Greensboro, NC

#23 Jun 2, 2009
Jameer is the heart of this team. He's their guts, and definitely one whole ball by himself. Even if he's just in uniform, that will be an emotional spark for the team. He can help us steal that game in LA!

GO MAGIC!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jameer Nelson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Should Maurice Harkless Still Be a Part of Orla... (Jan '14) Jan '14 edward 1
News NBA notebook - Dec. 1 (Dec '13) Dec '13 Lois 1
News 2013 NBA Draft: Analyzing Orlando Magic's Best ... (Jun '13) Jun '13 willkill 1
News Garrett Temple helps Wizards break routine (Dec '12) Dec '12 Sandra J 1
News Joe Johnson scores 22 points; Nets top Magic 98... (Dec '12) Dec '12 pete 1
News Reports: Magic start interviews for head coach;... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Lois 1
News Schmitz' Take: Magic's new 30-year-old GM bette... (Jun '12) Jun '12 Lois 1
More from around the web