Magic, Stan fail at basics

Magic, Stan fail at basics

There are 117 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jun 12, 2009, titled Magic, Stan fail at basics. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

If and when L.A. closes out the Magic to win the NBA championship, it will be portrayed nationally as the grand restoration of the storied Lakers, the coronation of Kobe Bryant as one of the greatest champions the game has ever known and the crowning of Phil Jackson as the most decorated coach in NBA history.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
mccreet

Eddyville, KY

#1 Jun 12, 2009
I have to say that when Dwight missed both free throws, I told the crowd around me,we still got this, just foul when they cross the half court line, force them to hit some pressure free throws, we will still be up atleast 1 point and get the ball back with 6 seconds. I would have put lee on fisher as well, and then after their free , bring in all our best free throw shooters for the inbound.They would probly have like 4 seconds left and do it all again. Fact is all dwight had to do is make one,just one and its over. Free throws at the end of a big game are different than in the middle,they count the same points but the pressure is way more intense. I'd like to see some heart on sunday to atleast bury the Lakers and dominate bigtime and blow them out. Dont let them celebrate on our home court please.
Mike

Bethlehem, PA

#2 Jun 12, 2009
I'm just so sick of you jumping on and off the bandwagon. Povtak gets canned and you keep a fkn job. Lame cliches/references/metaphors, endless parallelism to drive home your inane points, etc. You're a great example of what's wrong with journalism, and why people would rather read a blog than this paper (of which the Magic have a few that absolutely destroy the Sentinel in Magic coverage).

In short, just stop, for the true Magic fans, because you aren't one, and you don't speak for us.
greg

Cape Canaveral, FL

#3 Jun 12, 2009
Van Gundy sucks,,,,Magic Suck...I mean just deal with it.
Super Shaq

Kissimmee, FL

#4 Jun 12, 2009
mccreet wrote:
I have to say that when Dwight missed both free throws, I told the crowd around me,we still got this, just foul when they cross the half court line, force them to hit some pressure free throws, we will still be up atleast 1 point and get the ball back with 6 seconds. I would have put lee on fisher as well, and then after their free , bring in all our best free throw shooters for the inbound.They would probly have like 4 seconds left and do it all again. Fact is all dwight had to do is make one,just one and its over. Free throws at the end of a big game are different than in the middle,they count the same points but the pressure is way more intense. I'd like to see some heart on sunday to atleast bury the Lakers and dominate bigtime and blow them out. Dont let them celebrate on our home court please.
When the Laker victory party starts Sunday night, please wait to drop the confetti after the game is over!!
Super Shaq

Kissimmee, FL

#5 Jun 12, 2009
Mike wrote:
I'm just so sick of you jumping on and off the bandwagon. Povtak gets canned and you keep a fkn job. Lame cliches/references/metaphors, endless parallelism to drive home your inane points, etc. You're a great example of what's wrong with journalism, and why people would rather read a blog than this paper (of which the Magic have a few that absolutely destroy the Sentinel in Magic coverage).
In short, just stop, for the true Magic fans, because you aren't one, and you don't speak for us.
Please go back and report on something you know about, like how bad ucf football is!
Moise

Wichita, KS

#6 Jun 12, 2009
All I have to say is that I blam SVG and MP for this lost. This is a game we should have won, twice.

Stand should not have let Nelson on the floor that long, especiall not when we went to OT. He claimed that he did not want to play Alston because he was on the bench for too long, I call that B.S.

11 seconds is too long to foul? Are you kidding me? You are up by three freaking points, you let the other team hit a freakin g 3-pointer to tie the game, 11 seconds is too long. Again, BS.

Ok, for MP, I like the guy, he has done a lot for us. But what was he thinking not giving Rashard Lewis the ball when he (MP) had two guys on him and RL was open? Was he trying to be a Hero or did he not see RL? I am 100% sure that Rashard would have hit that shot. HE WAS FREAKING OPEN. He does not miss a turn around 3-pointer when he has two guys on him. That shot was his and I am sad to say that MP ruined it.

And of course. SVG said on the podium that "its just a game". It's not the NBA Finals and we are not down 1-3. For a coach to say something like that, I don't about you, to me (and I hope that I am wrong) it means that the game does really mean anything to him, or maybe it does and he does not want to show it.

I got it, he took us where we are right now. But you do not say that "oh, its just a game." It is a game, but it is the NBA Finals, we are fighting for something that we don't have with a team who have 14 of.

Alston should have played the last minute of that game. Nelson made just two good passes (which do not mean anything now because we lost the game). And he did not even attempted a field goal. Even though SVG decided not to foul with 11 seconds on the clock, why give the shooter (DF) so much freaking space. You know he is going to go for it.

I know Alston would have shot the ball, and attack the basket to make some shots.

I have faith on the Magic. But their coach has to draw the right play.

That lost hurt more than anything.

Now, we have to win the next 3 games to advance. Can we do it? Yes we can. But the worst part is that two of those game are going to be in LA. We need to win the next game on Sunday to at least prevent them from celebrating on our own floor. We can do it, but we need our Coach to draw the right play.

If the players have to make their own shots (like Lewis did on game 1 against the Cavs) then be it. We need to win games.

A first win in the NBA Finals does not mean anything. A first NBA Championship means a lot.

Come on Magic, lets do this.
russ

Lady Lake, FL

#7 Jun 12, 2009
jackson took van gundy to school. sure it's only one shot but jackson gave fisher one side of the court all to himself against a defender no taller than me. what was van gundy doing double teaming kobe 70 feet from the basket?
turnovers, missed foul shots and in the end it comes down to bad coaching.
Nextyear

Cleveland, OH

#8 Jun 12, 2009
Magic number one...err ah.. I mean Magic number down to one.
Danny Ocean

Kissimmee, FL

#9 Jun 12, 2009
Hopefully the fans want be in the stands chanting "MVP, MVP" the next time a 56% free throw shooter is at the line attempting to make the most important free throws of his life. Hopefully the fans will be dead silent, so Mr.Howard can concentrate on his follow through and sink one. I still believe in Magic.....GO MAGIC!!!!!!!
Manny San Miguel

United States

#10 Jun 12, 2009
It's depressing, but true. Stan has REALLY messed this one up with the latest burst of stupidity: Nelson's return AND pernicious influence on the Magic game.

I just can't fathom his wisdom...

He truly HAS crossed a line... and made us ALL age ten years!!!

I'll have nightmares untold...
Dan

AOL

#11 Jun 12, 2009
Even with all the to's and all the missed ft's..Magic were up by 5 pts with 32 seconds remaining..And that
was with Jameer playing. The game
would of been over had Dwight made
both his ft's and thats the bottom
line.
stfu

Willis, MI

#12 Jun 12, 2009
Im so pissed off
magic muffed it

Eddyville, KY

#13 Jun 12, 2009
they muffed it. Cleveland would have spanked L.A.
magic muffed it

Eddyville, KY

#14 Jun 12, 2009
Van Gundy's favorite word in his press conferences is: resilience. One thing is for sure, the Magic haven't shown it in the Finals. Forget about Game 3. They had a shooting record in the first half -- BIG DEAL! They only won by 4 points and Kobe missed his free throws. Resilient my a$$!
desert

Köln, Germany

#15 Jun 13, 2009
Well, if you get so much love from the refs and dont win, you simply don´t deserve it.

Freethrows, turnovers, assignments: there are a lot of reasons for this loss
And one has to admit: The Lakers were clutch ....
Tiffany

Yakima, WA

#17 Jun 13, 2009
magic muffed it wrote:
they muffed it. Cleveland would have spanked L.A.
r u really this dumb? yo,, check it dog, compare matchups,, who you gonna pick agin?

lebron is a choke artist 4 real, all hype and dats what magic be exposin! Lakers too much for dem dog, dats why La beat them in da series easily ya feel me? Next sesin, y'all gonna witness da real mvp WADE tear it up. He shoulda been dis years MVP just compare acomplishments between wade and Princess Jamie!
Sammy

Etobicoke, Canada

#18 Jun 13, 2009
Tiffany wrote:
<quoted text>
r u really this dumb? yo,, check it dog, compare matchups,, who you gonna pick agin?
lebron is a choke artist 4 real, all hype and dats what magic be exposin! Lakers too much for dem dog, dats why La beat them in da series easily ya feel me? Next sesin, y'all gonna witness da real mvp WADE tear it up. He shoulda been dis years MVP just compare acomplishments between wade and Princess Jamie!
Tiff you choke.
Fan since the beginning

Orlando, FL

#19 Jun 13, 2009
Jokemeer is the reason we lost this series.
michael

Converse, TX

#20 Jun 13, 2009
Mike Bianchi , well said!!!!

Since: Jun 09

Brussels, Belgium

#21 Jun 13, 2009
You can say what you want about Phil Jackson, but can anyone ever remember him making such an outright, boneheaded decision (especially in a Finals game) as not fouling a known-to-be-clutch, 3pt-shooter in the closing seconds of a game where Phil's team had a 3pt lead? It's worth wondering, with all the assistant coaches on the Magic bench, was one (or more) of them assigned to monitoring and assess end-of-game situations and then make the call on strategy? Whatever the reason, that was an easily preventable, coaching mistake and falls on the head-coach.

And if SVG still feels Nelson is going to suddenly regain his pre-injury, all-star form in the finals and make the difference in the the outcome of this series, he needs to go back to being an assistant-coach.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jameer Nelson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Should Maurice Harkless Still Be a Part of Orla... (Jan '14) Jan '14 edward 1
News NBA notebook - Dec. 1 (Dec '13) Dec '13 Lois 1
News 2013 NBA Draft: Analyzing Orlando Magic's Best ... (Jun '13) Jun '13 willkill 1
News Garrett Temple helps Wizards break routine (Dec '12) Dec '12 Sandra J 1
News Joe Johnson scores 22 points; Nets top Magic 98... (Dec '12) Dec '12 pete 1
News Reports: Magic start interviews for head coach;... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Lois 1
News Schmitz' Take: Magic's new 30-year-old GM bette... (Jun '12) Jun '12 Lois 1