Time for O'Neal to say goodbye?

Time for O'Neal to say goodbye?

There are 154 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Apr 20, 2007, titled Time for O'Neal to say goodbye?. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Indiana Pacers president Larry Bird's pet phrase is that he will trade anybody if it improves the team.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

Birds MESS

Florence, KY

#128 Apr 20, 2007
If I had to pick one of the above, number 4 sounds great. Elton Brand-stud, Maggette-scorer, Livingston-pg of the future, and you lose Tinsley's nasty salary.
katiewright

AOL

#129 Apr 20, 2007
I would hate to see Jermaine O'Neal go!
This year in particular---he has taken great strides in showing he can be a great leader! He kept plugging away, even in the midst of injuring his knee. He never gave up. I applaud him for his courage and efforts this year, and hope he remains a Pacer!
Fly White Guy

North Hollywood, CA

#130 Apr 20, 2007
Wow, that Laker trade idea was offensive. The money might even out, but the talent doesn't. O'Neal's wearing down. In a season or two he's going to be where Ben Wallace was this season. But you think he's worth Lamar, Andy and Evans. I wouldn't hold my breath. They're not into quick fixes which is why they've only missed the playoff's twice in over 20 years. The Pacer would be lucky to get anything more than what the Nets were offered for Kidd...
Stan Hirtle

Ashville, OH

#131 Apr 20, 2007
People are much too hard on O'Neal. He was hurt all year, played hard and tried to carry the team. He is smart and says sensible things. He was a credit to the team. Sure he missed the key shots against Miami. He is not LeBron or Kobe or Wade. He is a second team all star. The reality is that you are not going to get anything any better than he is for him. Very rarely does a trade of a high level player help the trading team. Trades for Kidd and Nash were exceptions. Picture the Pacers without O'Neal and then how good it would look with someone as his level added. The problem is there is only one of him. They need three players at his level, or maybe 5. They need defenders. They need a guard who can create a shot at the end of the game so Tinsley doesn't have to. Daniels showed some potential but he got hurt. The Pacers are also very young now and showed it in those late losses. You win with veterans. Remember how long it took the Miller/Smits/Jackson nucleus to get to the finals? You can also win with depth and this year they had none. You do better with stability (something the Pacers haven't had) developing players and making the occasional strategic move. For the Pacers that may mean moving a young forward for a young guard. But generally you keep good players, and let other people get rid of theirs. O'Neal is not past his prime, needing to be a role player and get a ring, like Payton and Mourning did last year. He's in his prime but he needs help.
And I don't why all the negative rumors about Shawne Williams. He didn't get in any trouble. It's not his fault they lost. A young guy like that is going to sit on the bench all year and learn the game, which is what he did. He showed a few flashes of ability. Give him a chance.
SS from Indianapolis

Redwood City, CA

#132 Apr 20, 2007
You all need to keep Jermaine O'Neal for all the productive services he has put in to the pacer and this is one of his best season. You need to think about trading other players other J.O.
NBA fan

Roberval, Canada

#133 Apr 20, 2007
As a huge NBA fan, & one that reads a lot of NBA articles, rumours, etc. This article was fun and good. Personally, I love the roles/jobs of GM's, so seeing possible trades with other teams was cool.(1)The JO for KG would never happen, sure JO is younger and a little cheaper, but he is no way near KG talent wise. I would do that trade in a second if I'm the Pacers, but MIN would never accept such offer.(2)NY- this I think if offered Isiah would accept, but I would want more for O'neal. Lee would have to be definetily included along with a 1st round pick.(3)LAL- wow. This I think would be a good trade for both teams, although, I don't think they could get Bynum. LAL needs a #2 man behind Kobe, & the pacers would be receiving a couple of decent players.(4)LAC- NO THIS Will never happen, period, why would the Clippers want to get rid of all that talent for JO and Tinsley?(5)Den- Again NO. WILL NEVER happen, nene, camby, & smith for O'neal, Denver would have to be completely insane to pull this off.
Overall the pacers are in a tough situation. Over the cap, I'm not sure if they have a pick in this draft or not? Bad team. they should have never done the trade with GS for the 2 ridiculous contracts of Murphy and Dun and dropoff in talent. I think they need to start rebuilding, trade O'neal + Tinsley for expiring contrats & young player with upside. Clear cap space.
jackson

Apple Valley, CA

#134 Apr 21, 2007
no fit
Shirley Andrews

Redmond, WA

#135 Apr 21, 2007
I have followed the Pacers throughout the years by listening to station WIBC, since we don't have cable and they don't seem to feel it important enough to place their games on any of our local stations.
I feel that Jermaine O'Neal is one of the great assets of the team, even though they have not been winning. I have watched him mature into a player of tatlent and character, who has attempted to bring the team up from the gutter where it has fallen, due to the behavior of some of the players. I admire him as a player of talent and character and a community volunteer.
I can tell you that if Jermaine O'Neal is let go from the Pacers, I will no longer listen to, or even follow them. It is not his fault that poor trades were made. He should not be be the one to suffer for that.
Todd Haines

Auburn Hills, MI

#136 Apr 21, 2007
Actually, I feel as though the Pacers lost their best opportunity for a solide trade. With the issues Minnesota had been experiencing with the organization, we could have put both O'Neal and Jackson on the table for Garnett and Szerbiak. This would have been a win-win for all involved. O'Neal and Garnett would have a change of scenery, Minnesota would have gained a good scorer, the Pacers would have gotten rid of an embarrasment to the organization, and they would have gained a good energy guy for a sixth man.
Josh Siegel

Spring, TX

#137 Apr 21, 2007
dude those trades are terribly unrealistic
aofil

South Africa

#138 Apr 21, 2007
hmm...i think the only 2 that might work are the Denver and Minny
the rest dont even benefit the pacers...
the Denver one would be awesome though yet Denver's Nene is getting better by day...i don't see them parting easily
aofil

South Africa

#139 Apr 21, 2007
Josh Siegel wrote:
dude those trades are terribly unrealistic
tell me about it
HumbertHumbert

United States

#140 Apr 21, 2007
haha nice try wrote:
Why the Clippers trade won't work: The Clippers aren't retarded.
Haha, most sensible comment posted. Even Donald Sterling's not that stupid.
J1SJoneS

United States

#141 Apr 21, 2007
Camby, NENE, and Smith?? The Nuggets arnt that dumb!! That is one stupid trade......Smith, Nene, and Camby, three good players for one Very good player, and then you woke up!!!! Maybe, we could throw in A.I. to sweeten the DEAL! Mike Wells sounds like a day dreaming 13 year old..
Shawn

Des Moines, IA

#142 Apr 21, 2007
Good analysis. I disagree on one point. Straight up trade for KG would benefit Pacers. KG's a little older, but not much. More importantly, he's never injured and is a true all around big man and a fierce, 100% competitor. Good deal. Probably won't happen though.
chris joseph

Huntington Beach, CA

#143 Apr 22, 2007
hey, i think that the lakers need to do everything they can to get O'Neal he will help kobe get another championship because this years team is ok but with him and possibly Garnett WOW that is almost unstopable.
chris joseph

Huntington Beach, CA

#144 Apr 22, 2007
kobe needs someone who is talented and who is way better than anyone the lakers have right now and that is K.G. and or O'Neal the lakers need one of those two guys or else they will keep going down and kobe will leave because he is amazing but he can't take the non-talented teamates that he has to finals! but GO LAKERS I BELIVE!!
chris joseph

Huntington Beach, CA

#145 Apr 22, 2007
hey, GO LAKERS!!! the lakers need o'neal BADLY and o'neal wants to come to the lakers so how about the hall of fame couach that they have actualy make an attempt to get a talented player to help kobe!! please
Philip

United States

#146 Apr 22, 2007
Why wouldnt u think about the Bulls trading for O'Neal. They need a post player, and a Wallace, O'Neal duo in the defensive paint would be awsome, and the bulls could offer the pick that they got from the knicks and maybe a couple bench players. Which would allow Larry Bird to try to draft a potential all-star/frachise player. We all know that that pick is going to be high, because the knicks are horrible.
mike

Shelbyville, IN

#147 Apr 22, 2007
no no no no no!!!!! the nuggets with jermaine allen and melo?? no we would help them win a championship next year!! we better not do that. and plus they are going to have keyon martin back next year to.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

J.R. Smith Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 2015 NBA Finals: Quick Takeaways From Cleveland... (Jun '15) Jun '15 tom wingo 7
What does J.R. Stand for? (Aug '08) Jul '14 junior 6
News Knicks fire coach Mike Woodson, rest of staff (Apr '14) May '14 bigtool 5
News Best Potential Point Guard Trade Targets for Ne... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Knicks suck 1
News New York Knicks Rumors: Will Toure Murry make t... (Oct '13) Oct '13 eddie rodriguez 1
News Lichtenstein: Can Kidd Bring Culture Of Sharing... (Oct '13) Oct '13 fonemi 1
News Tim Hardaway Jr. selected by the New York Knick... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Henry O 1
More from around the web