Time for O'Neal to say goodbye?

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

Indiana Pacers president Larry Bird's pet phrase is that he will trade anybody if it improves the team.
Comments
1 - 20 of 154 Comments Last updated Nov 30, 2007
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
eli

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2007

GREAT ARTICLE !!!!!!!
VEEERY IMFORMITIVE . This was the meat and potato's type of article we need as fans !
thank you
haha nice try

Greenwood, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2007

Why the Clippers trade won't work: The Clippers aren't retarded.
Playa

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2007

If Bird wanted to improve the team, he would not have gave golden state a ticket to the playoffs! He would fire his boy and he would retire!
Get a life

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2007

eli wrote:
GREAT ARTICLE !!!!!!!
VEEERY IMFORMITIVE . This was the meat and potato's type of article we need as fans !
thank you
Your joking right?
Playa

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2007

Mike Wells you should think about retirement also cause you dont have a clue
Keauhou

Lahaina, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2007

I think this is a good article. It matches up the salary of all the teams that will be looking for trades, even after the first round. The Bulls, too, will be looking at O'neals availability if they lose to Miami.
TrueWarrior

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2007

Either LA trade works and/or makes sense for the Pacers, the Knicks and Nuggets scenarios make all of NO sense for the Pacers, those two would be HORRIBLE trades. But again, either LA trade I'd be just fine with (though I'd like to throw Tinsley in the Laker trade as well, he MUST be moved along side of JO if JO is going, that much is certain). So, yes on either LA trade, let's make it happen.
Marty Katz

Falls Church, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2007

Mike-Interesting...BUT...there is NO WAY,if I were the TIMBERWOLVES,I would make a trade straight GARNETT for O'NEAL! GARNETT,while the TIMBERWOLVES have not done well on the court as a team,plays hard EVERY game and his stats are a THOUSAND times more consistant than O'NEALS! That trade would benefit the PACERS and it would set the TIMBERWOLVES so far back that they would be a lottery team NEXT year as well. BUT...lets say they got the #1 OR #2 PICK meaning DURANT or ODEN(you didnt mention THAT scenario)then..maybe they might bite seeing the fans could get a rising star in his place. The KNICKS trade you proposed is "promising" but I would make it CRAWFORD,FRYE,and DAVID LEE. CRAWFORD would bring a proven scorer who would thrive being the #1 option. FRYE has some potential and DAVID LEE has the kind of ENERGY,game in and game out that the franchise needs!
wuh

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2007

I have a feeling The Pacers brass will screw this up.
SAMBOE

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2007

IF I CAN GET QUALITY FOR J.O. I WOULD TRADE HIM IN A HEARTBEAT.... HE ISNT GETTIN ANY YOUNGER AND EVEN THOUGH HE WAS AN ALL STAR; WELL IT IS THE EAST. TRADING HIM MAKE SENSE BECAUSE THE PACERS NEED TO REBUILD. SO IF U CAN GET A PLAYER THAT CAN CREATE HIS OWN SHOT AND SOME YOUNGER BIGS; Y NOT?
Whicked_Which

Florence, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2007

wuh wrote:
I have a feeling The Pacers brass will screw this up.
For so many years, Donnie Walsh was among the most respected GMs in the business. He'd make a move (usually to the chagrin of the locals - remember all the yelling and screaming when he took Reggie over Steve Alford?), and the team did nothing but get better. I never could figure out how much control has passed to Bird, but you can't ignore the fact that the team has tanked since Larry Legend showed up in the front office. I'm all for letting Donnie retire like he wants to, but the first part of the housecleaning would logically be letting Bird go back to his golf game.
Rover

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2007

Make sure you trade Carlisle to India; Bird to Jamaica; and Walsh to Idaho...They are pitiful...

Hopefully, they will make a trade with the Lakers and cut Murphy, Dunleavy, and Diogu (the 3 worse benchwarmers in history)...

You wonder why the Pacer are at the bottom, look at satan's trinity (Carlisle, Bird, Walsh)
burning in rome

Fort Wayne, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2007

the most realistic trade i would go for after we know the out come of the lottery would be bobcats.

jordan already said he is interested in trading their 2 first round picks, one lottery and the other from toronto in this years draft for a scorer.

if bobcats get a top 2 pick trade oneal for it and a player from their team. they are so far under the cap they can do it. then lets all move on and get someone that can SHOOT THE BALL! geez this is rediculous, atleast someone that can hit a clutch shot. so tired of seeing oneal forcing things in that never go in.
Lets go Hoosiers

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2007

Marty Katz wrote:
Mike-Interesting...BUT...there is NO WAY,if I were the TIMBERWOLVES,I would make a trade straight GARNETT for O'NEAL! GARNETT,while the TIMBERWOLVES have not done well on the court as a team,plays hard EVERY game and his stats are a THOUSAND times more consistant than O'NEALS! That trade would benefit the PACERS and it would set the TIMBERWOLVES so far back that they would be a lottery team NEXT year as well. BUT...lets say they got the #1 OR #2 PICK meaning DURANT or ODEN(you didnt mention THAT scenario)then..maybe they might bite seeing the fans could get a rising star in his place. The KNICKS trade you proposed is "promising" but I would make it CRAWFORD,FRYE,and DAVID LEE. CRAWFORD would bring a proven scorer who would thrive being the #1 option. FRYE has some potential and DAVID LEE has the kind of ENERGY,game in and game out that the franchise needs!
Minnesota would jump in a second to take O'Neal for Garnett. No doubt about it. Garnett is like 5 years older than O'Neal and has much more wear and tear. I know Pacer fans see "oh its KG" and would want the Pacers to pull the trigger, but it makes no sense. We need a scorer, not a rebounder/shot blocker. We need someone who can put the ball in the basket every night.

That Clips trade would be awesome for the Pacers. They would never do that though. I cant beleive O'Neal makes that much more than Brand. Like I said yesterday on this blog, Pacer's management set this in motion years ago when they signed all these unworthy players to huge longterm deals. Now we may just have to suffer the consequences until the deals expire.
Lets go Hoosiers

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2007

Rover wrote:
Make sure you trade Carlisle to India; Bird to Jamaica; and Walsh to Idaho...They are pitiful...
Hopefully, they will make a trade with the Lakers and cut Murphy, Dunleavy, and Diogu (the 3 worse benchwarmers in history)...
You wonder why the Pacer are at the bottom, look at satan's trinity (Carlisle, Bird, Walsh)
You cant cut people in the NBA. This isnt the NFL. If they kicked these guys to the curb, another team would pick them up and the Pacers would still be paying their salaries. How much sense would that make? None.

THe Lakers deal is not ever going to happen. They wouldnt trade Bynum for JKidd, so they arent going to move him for Tinsley. O'Neal cant play the triangle in Phil Jackson's offense either, so nix that right now.

Why would you want to cut Diogu anyway? That guy is going to be a stud at center or PF if O"neal leaves. He was really the centerpiece of the deal that sent Big Al and Jackson out to GS. Dunleavy is a good six man and Murphy brings a change up at Center with a guy who can knock down shots. Neither should be starting, but Diogu should be. Either way, dont cut anyone. You never know when a dumb team will come calling for them. That is if there are any other dumb teams besides the Pacers.
Piston Fan

Bloomington, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2007

The knowledge of some of you is pathetic. I guess Mike just copy and pasted this from the message board?
Piston Fan

Bloomington, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2007

Lets go Hoosiers wrote:
<quoted text>
Minnesota would jump in a second to take O'Neal for Garnett. No doubt about it. Garnett is like 5 years older than O'Neal and has much more wear and tear. I know Pacer fans see "oh its KG" and would want the Pacers to pull the trigger, but it makes no sense. We need a scorer, not a rebounder/shot blocker. We need someone who can put the ball in the basket every night.
That Clips trade would be awesome for the Pacers. They would never do that though. I cant beleive O'Neal makes that much more than Brand. Like I said yesterday on this blog, Pacer's management set this in motion years ago when they signed all these unworthy players to huge longterm deals. Now we may just have to suffer the consequences until the deals expire.
so very wrong. i guess you are trying though.
Indy Old School

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2007

Rover wrote:
Great quote, like any dying business, the housecleaning MUST start at the top. The Pacers management needs a refresh, and bring in some young players that are willing to play as a team, rather than strip club fightin/gun toting criminals. You do not have to bring any players with NBA rings either, obviously THUGG-OLICIOUS S JACK didn't quite work out.
Albion People

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2007

I like the Lakers deal and the Nuggets deal...
Double T

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2007

You may not like Jermaine but at least he hasn't been in the news for being in a bar involved in altercations. Get rid of Tinsley; keep Carlisle. He just needs respectable guys to work with.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent J.R. Smith Discussions

Search the J.R. Smith Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
What does J.R. Stand for? (Aug '08) Jul 17 junior 6
Knicks fire coach Mike Woodson, rest of staff May '14 bigtool 5
Best Potential Point Guard Trade Targets for Ne... Feb '14 Knicks suck 1
New York Knicks Rumors: Will Toure Murry make t... (Oct '13) Oct '13 eddie rodriguez 1
Lichtenstein: Can Kidd Bring Culture Of Sharing... (Oct '13) Oct '13 fonemi 1
Tim Hardaway Jr. selected by the New York Knick... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Henry O 1
Scoring punch hard to come by in free agency fo... (Jun '13) Jun '13 The_Solution 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••