Missed FT allows Pacers to survive la...

Missed FT allows Pacers to survive last-seconds scare

There are 67 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Nov 28, 2007, titled Missed FT allows Pacers to survive last-seconds scare. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

A questionable foul by Mike Dunleavy in the final seconds nearly cost the Indiana Pacers Tuesday night's game at Denver.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

Bill Arnold - Speedway

Indianapolis, IN

#21 Nov 28, 2007
The Pacers ruined JO years ago by playing him out of position. He doesn't have the body mass to be a banging center. Period. The "ball goes through JO first" strategy was Carlisle's doing.
Forget the Detroit melee, the Artest nightmare, and the Jackson debacle. The Pacer's slide from the upper echelon began when they didn't keep Brad Miller next to JO to maintain a dynamic duo to carry them well into the future.
(and if you believe Donnie Walsh's story that the money wasn't there you probably believe all the lies that got us into Iraq).
Pacer Pontiff

South Bend, IN

#22 Nov 28, 2007
Well put Putz.
Those of you who think JO is simply injured and that we'll be better when he gets back, I hope you're right.
But what Putz says here seems dead on to me - it's not just that JO hasn't played well, it's the fact our entire team plays different because of how his style of play affects our offense.
I also think he has a bad attitude 80% of the time, especially if the calls aren't going his way.
Perhaps he's overrated and thinks too much of himself?
Plainfield Putz wrote:
When Jermaine is in there, he expects the ball to go through him first. When he is out, there are 5 options, all just as capable or better of hitting a shot. Seems when he is not in there, they look for the best option rather than straight at him. Tinsley is a different player, being able to create oppurtunities and running the floor like a true point guard. We have listened for years to JO's whining and dealt with his multiple injuries. I think we should take what we can get for him and move on.
Pacer Pontiff

South Bend, IN

#23 Nov 28, 2007
Thanks Kyle.

This says alot.
Kyle wrote:
<quoted text>
4-1 when he didn't play at all (including a win over Dallas and road wins over NO and Denver)
3-3 when he logged less than 30 minutes of playing time
0-4 when he plays 30 or more minutes
Eddie Bird

Indianapolis, IN

#24 Nov 28, 2007
Hey brother Larry, i ain't the gm but I can see JO needs to go. I don't care you if you get a fathead of Magic Johnson and some of you sweet wine you make. Come on bro, can't you see our team chemistry is just like Indiana State and Springs Valley without JO. It is like them muskrats down in Paoli when JO is in there. Trade him or cut him. All pacer fans don't care no more!!!

“Hoosier fan in Tarheel land”

Since: Oct 07

Muskegon, MI

#25 Nov 28, 2007
Kyle wrote:
<quoted text>
4-1 when he didn't play at all (including a win over Dallas and road wins over NO and Denver)
pretty much says it all, eh?
Dungy ball

Newport, KY

#26 Nov 28, 2007
Great win. We would have won by 15 if the officials didn't OBVIOUSLY go out of their way to keep the Nuggets in the game. I agree the tape should be sent to the league office....but I don't really know what that resolves. Anyway, this team is rounding out nicely. I look forward to tonights game.
cbm

Cary, IL

#27 Nov 28, 2007
train hit the nail right on the head...5-1 when j.o. sits, 2-7 when he plays. i like our team better sans the overpaid glare machine with rapidly diminishing talent
5 and 1

Indianapolis, IN

#28 Nov 28, 2007
I may be incorrect, but I think the Pacers are 5-1 without O'neal this year. That would mean that they are 2-7 with him. I may be off a game on both but for sure, they have a winning record without him...and a losing record with him. C'mon Wells...it's time to face the facts.
Bledar

Tiranë, Albania

#29 Nov 28, 2007
This is not a playoff team... As far as I can see, the Pacers are not in the same level as the other good teams in the east and i dont beleive they will have a positive record at the end of the season
Jeff from Delphi

United States

#30 Nov 28, 2007
I thought Tinsley and Daniels played pretty good defense on Iverson along with the interior "D" when AI penetrated. Too me that was the key to the game, Iverson never really got on a roll shooting and distributing the ball. But again too many fouls, 1/2 of AI points came at the strip.
Agreed the ref's were terrible. Was it Adams(#47) that made the bad call on Dunleavy. I've seen him ref some terrible games at Conseco.
JO Blows

Utica, KY

#31 Nov 28, 2007
Mike in NC wrote:
anyone know what their record is now for the year with vs. without JO?
Oviously they are better with out him.
jct

Louisville, KY

#32 Nov 28, 2007
Kyle wrote:
<quoted text>
E-mail this posting to Larry Bird in case he doesn't read the Indystar. I'm normally a guy that doesn't make waves. But I am beginning to see the reason for the decline of the Pacers. Without J.O., there is no decline. Makes sense to me!
La in Denver

United States

#33 Nov 28, 2007
Terrible officiated game. I attend about a half dozen Nuggets games a year (Pacers always one of them). The season ticket holders I sat next to were laughing and shaking their heads at the calls that were being made clearly in the Nuggets favor.
Pacer Pontiff

South Bend, IN

#34 Nov 28, 2007
Yeah, they're not as good as Boston, Orlando and some other solid East teams. However, I'm not sure if I agree about the playoffs not being possible.

You may be right, but today we're tied for 8th place in East, and only .5 game from being in 6th. All things considered, a better start than most predicted.
Bledar wrote:
This is not a playoff team... As far as I can see, the Pacers are not in the same level as the other good teams in the east and i dont beleive they will have a positive record at the end of the season
James

Greencastle, IN

#35 Nov 28, 2007
I agree that the bad call on Dunleavy at the end almost cost us the game. It was fitting that the guy missed his last free throw. We would not have been in that position though if we had made all our free throws at the end. The biggest and best thing I see is that our players are playing hard and are now playing for 48 minutes instead of disappearing in the 4th quarter. That is all I can ask.
JO Blows

Utica, KY

#36 Nov 28, 2007
Lets go Hoosiers wrote:
<quoted text>
You got into a Pacer game deep enough to scream at the TV?
I usually reserve that for Colts or IU games.
Dude, you should watch the Colts and Butler. Pete Campel, AJ Graves, and Mike Green are all fire and money from the 3 point line and so much better then Eric Gordon is was and ever will be (except maybe in high school they wern't quite the player Eric Gorden was). And look, I know Indiana's two most popular teams are the Colts and IU in Basketball. But I wouldn't doubt that in Indy it's The Colts (by a long shot) then Butler, then IU.
The Truth

Indianapolis, IN

#38 Nov 28, 2007
J.O. sits, we win; he plays, we lose. Starting to see the pattern?
Adam

Bloomington, IN

#39 Nov 28, 2007
Jeff from Delphi wrote:
I thought Tinsley and Daniels played pretty good defense on Iverson along with the interior "D" when AI penetrated. Too me that was the key to the game, Iverson never really got on a roll shooting and distributing the ball. But again too many fouls, 1/2 of AI points came at the strip.
Agreed the ref's were terrible. Was it Adams(#47) that made the bad call on Dunleavy. I've seen him ref some terrible games at Conseco.
Yes it was Adams, the same one who missed the tomahawk chop foul from Carmelo on David Harrison. He was missing calls all night and was the reason coach O'b got the technical foul. You made some great points about the defense too. There were breakdowns here and there, but overall they guarded Iverson better than I've seen them guard him in recent years. The help defense and rotations were fast and kept him running around, unable to get off decent shots.
Adam

Bloomington, IN

#41 Nov 28, 2007
JO Blows wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, you should watch the Colts and Butler. Pete Campel, AJ Graves, and Mike Green are all fire and money from the 3 point line and so much better then Eric Gordon is was and ever will be
LOL wow that was funny. Gordon is a guaranteed high lottery pick, probably top-5 in the draft, and future multiple-time All-Star. The Butler guys you mention are great college ballplayers but probably won't even crack an NBA roster. Graves is a phenomenal shooter but is too small for most NBA teams and couldn't hold his ground against opposing guards.
Realist

Indianapolis, IN

#42 Nov 28, 2007
Bill Arnold - Speedway wrote:
The Pacers ruined JO years ago by playing him out of position. He doesn't have the body mass to be a banging center. Period. The "ball goes through JO first" strategy was Carlisle's doing.
Forget the Detroit melee, the Artest nightmare, and the Jackson debacle. The Pacer's slide from the upper echelon began when they didn't keep Brad Miller next to JO to maintain a dynamic duo to carry them well into the future.
(and if you believe Donnie Walsh's story that the money wasn't there you probably believe all the lies that got us into Iraq).
Brad Miller's high post game a la Vlade Divac is what really made that Pacer's team special. With Miller, Miller, Artest, and O'Neal on the floor, they could attack you from just about any angle, you couldn't double team cause you didn't dare leave one of them open. Losing Brad is what cost that team a championship.
Having said that, O'Neal needs to have a flashback to those days, when he would move without the ball instead of waiting for a post-up, turn and face and drive to the basket instead of dropping fadeaway jumpers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

J.R. Smith Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 2015 NBA Finals: Quick Takeaways From Cleveland... (Jun '15) Jun '15 tom wingo 7
What does J.R. Stand for? (Aug '08) Jul '14 junior 6
News Knicks fire coach Mike Woodson, rest of staff (Apr '14) May '14 bigtool 5
News Best Potential Point Guard Trade Targets for Ne... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Knicks suck 1
News New York Knicks Rumors: Will Toure Murry make t... (Oct '13) Oct '13 eddie rodriguez 1
News Lichtenstein: Can Kidd Bring Culture Of Sharing... (Oct '13) Oct '13 fonemi 1
News Tim Hardaway Jr. selected by the New York Knick... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Henry O 1
More from around the web