Magic overall better than Cavs

Magic overall better than Cavs

There are 36 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from May 24, 2009, titled Magic overall better than Cavs. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

The Orlando Magic are "upstarts." They are dealing with a level of "immaturity." They aren't ready to take the "next step." That pretty much sums up the national perspective on the Magic, a team that, roll out next cliche, is "just happy to be here." Rubbish.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
The rock

Merritt Island, FL

#1 May 24, 2009
The Magic have shown why they are here. The Lebron show is not enough against a TRUE team. MP has been HUGE. I am glad he is getting better from his wrist injury and stepping up. Stan has this team ready to go to the finals.
kenny

Auburn, WA

#2 May 24, 2009
not better...they just matchup better!
FRED

Tallahassee, FL

#3 May 25, 2009
"Team" is the winning and operative "noun" that separate Orl from Clv.
Magic have 5 to 1: Cavs have 1 to 5-odds favors "more men" for the task awaiting them- NBA Championship-
But, wait- before the big ring ceremony- there are those--K. Bryant boys from LA- thugs? Lugs? Players?
They do have a "record"-a bit of 'talent' and experience in the BIGS-+ the RING(s) as proof no?
Personel- LA that Bryant fellow who loves the LA spotlite-& Jack Nicolus presence @ every game- and Magic have Mickey and some other mice--
No Cleveland in the final-as contestant-spectulator ONLY in '09.
Jim Hawk III

Southwest Brevard Cnty, FL

#4 May 25, 2009
No, Kenny, the Magic are flat-out BETTER. Look around. The commentators and columnists are beginning to notice the cracks in the Cavs' armor. The Magic are more balanced and versatile than the Cavaliers. You can't go inside, you can't go outside--the Magic will make you pay.

All teams can run hot or cold on a given day, and we definitely saw that last night. The thing is, even with Jordan the Bulls weren't a one-man show, and the Cavs can't work that way with LeBron. There's no denying that LeBron is a dominant player, and probably the best mix of skills since Jordan.(Sorry, Kobe.) But LeBron can't beat the Magic by himself, and the wear and tear is starting to show. Tie that to a weak bench, and you just don't have a better team in the Cavs, match-ups be damned.
Lisa

San Antonio, TX

#5 May 25, 2009
"He's a superstar, but he's having to play like a beast of burden."

It's T-Mac syndrome. The superstar plays, and the rest of the team just stands there and watches. LeBron really is that good, but one man can't do it alone.
Judge Phillip Banks

United States

#6 May 25, 2009
Definitely better overall. Both teams play great defense, but on most nights, Cleveland only has 2-3 good offensive weapons. Orlando matches up so well against them.

Basically, it's like Rock-Paper-Scissors:

Orlando beats Cleveland
Cleveland beats Detroit Pistons
Pistons beat Orlando
Reason to be optimistic

Altamonte Springs, FL

#7 May 25, 2009
No need to say more: Magic better overall than Cavs! Simple and to the point. Even people from Cleveland can understand it. GO MAGIC!!
Reason to be optimistic

Altamonte Springs, FL

#8 May 25, 2009
The Chuckster has been on the money in the playoffs. If I recall, he was the only one that picked the magic and his reasons are being displayed. Evetually, Bianchi, and Brian will come to this side. GO MAGIC!!
YSU78

Youngstown, OH

#9 May 25, 2009
Man, I was all set to root for the Magic against LA, but after reading the sarcastic stories from your writers, I'm starting to lean the other way.

We will steal a game in Orlando, either game 4 or even 6, then if you can beat us twice at the Q, you deserve it.

The fans in Orlando seem pretty cool, your team is really good, your writers REALLY suck.
Bll

Pittsburgh, PA

#10 May 25, 2009
Don't underestimate the NBAs desire to have James in the finals, as evidenced by that bogus 6th foul on Dwight Howard in the final minute last night. If the Cadavers play anything resembling professional basketball they will advance. That's how they roll in the WWE, I mean NBA.
Shaq Oflopapanick

Lake Mary, FL

#11 May 25, 2009
To any non believers: Refs are cheats

If you have the game on record you can check these game clock times.
Fist quarter: look at the 2 fouls on DH. 2nd foul was not showed on replay at all! Review that foul which sent DH to the bench us up 10 threatening a blow out.(By the way when you have to put best player on the bench with 2 fouls in 1st q...that affects the out come of the game!

con't 1q; clock at 2:48 James goal tending

total 3 calls 1 st qt.

2nd qt: clock time 7:48 Rashard foul, bogus.
7:27 DH foul..has to sit again.
5:44 AJ flagrant foul call...you will not find one instance of this type of call in the league this year! Shomo fouls our guy gets punked ref protect. Not one other time this year...
Total 3 calls 2nd qt.

3rd qt; Turk foul @ 10:20
Clock 7:15 non call zeke on DH throws him down and lashes at DH head on mugging at the basket..no call only one I will mention so you can judge the difference on DH calls.
Clock 2:50 DH foul back to bench
3qt total 3 calls

4th qt clock @ 5:19 foul vs walk on Z
Clock 4:40 block vs charge
and of course the infamous Clock at 36 secs.

I am attempting to get footage to post of these calls.

Worst call of all...with no replay by network is the 2nd foul call on DH. Will some FBI agent with a set of balls review this please! It's outrages! 12 calls 3 each quarter to help Cavs try to stay in the game.

Le'gettingBroomed, the NBA and refs are ruining your gift man...stand up and say NO! Your getting pimped.

Problem is that a 4 game series with 20 point wins by Magic each game really screws up the marketing department. This after the Boston series is unreal.
Al Dexter

Northfield, OH

#12 May 25, 2009
Let's start reserving the "we shocked the world"/"no one gave us a chance" sports writing for the real under dog- not teams with multiple all-stars and a great record whom everyone fears. I've heard no one rule out the Magic from serious contention. Work harder for a story line.
hey hey

Mount Dora, FL

#13 May 25, 2009
Well said on that last point, its ateam game 5-5. I think some of the national media and the NBA dictators would just rather have Kobe and Lebron play one on one for the finals.
jng11787

United States

#14 May 25, 2009
If Lewis and Turkoglu play like they did last night, what is the point in guarding them? LeBron shut down Lewis, which you mentioned, while Hedo played with an invisible man constantly in his face. The only shot he hit all night was the toughest one he took: a turn-around flail at the elbow with four minutes to go.
hey hey

Mount Dora, FL

#15 May 25, 2009
Judge Phillip Banks wrote:
Definitely better overall. Both teams play great defense, but on most nights, Cleveland only has 2-3 good offensive weapons. Orlando matches up so well against them.
Basically, it's like Rock-Paper-Scissors:
Orlando beats Cleveland
Cleveland beats Detroit Pistons
Pistons beat Orlando
Totally true, I like that post !
CavMom

Willoughby, OH

#16 May 25, 2009
Refs = 1

Cavs =0

Is this like the Celtics or what? Apparently there are one set of rules for the Lakers, one set for the Celtics, and now one for the Magic. Everyone else plays by the same set. Since when is it okay to take an elbow to the eye, one that requires stitches and no doubt a bruise by the brow. Now the Magic are getting the reputation as Celtics, and Lakers....dirty. I don't expect Magic fans to agree but let's be fair here.....oops...no such thing in the NBA. GO GET'UM CAVS!!!!!
Reality check please

Longwood, FL

#17 May 25, 2009
Put the crack pipe down for a sec. The no-call on Mo in game 2? Only 3 people in the world didn't see it. The phantom 6th foul last night on Dwight? Find a cleaner block, I dare ya. Let's not even get into the other calls against the Howard. Guaranteed that at least half of them are crap. I supposed when Z was trying to take Dwight to the ground by his neck that was just a basketball play... And I dare you to watch your savior (James) every time he drives the lane. He's either walking or lowering his shoulder like a running back. I actually heard Doug Collins say "he took an extra half-step." Clearly, he is extremely talented, but a "Half-step"??? Really? Isn't that like being "kinda pregnant?"
John F

Sanford, FL

#18 May 25, 2009
SVG should do to lebron what the Cavs are dong to D-12. Foul him! First they need to stop LJ at the top of the key before he makes a move not allowing him access to the rim. Second use JJ, AJ and Battie to use up all their fouls on LJ. This will frustrate him greatly and make him have to hit shots not dunks which fires up his team. This will also wear him down. Then they should lock him down with MP and CL. Hedo needs to constantly drive to the hoop and stop holding the ball, because his shot is way off. Someone please tell Dwight that he does not have to shoot EVERY time they give hm the ball, he must be a better passer as he only has one move to the hoop and the Cavs are on to him. The Cavs are easy to beat the Magic is simply making it too hard. Lastly, SVG must NEVER admit that he has no idea how to stop a player, it's his job to know. The is too much respect being paid to LJ. Old schoolers such as Barkley and MJ and the Detroit bad boys didn't care who you were, f you came to the hole you were dead meat.
george diaz

Cocoa Beach, FL

#19 May 25, 2009
PS; Cavs 3-6 against Boston, Orlando and Lakers this season. Also, for the Cavs to whine abut refs is absurd given what goes on when leBron has the ball. Orlando went to the line more for two reasons:
1. They fouled Dwight on purpose.
2. Orlando was more active getting tp the paint. Who is an inside threat for Cavs other than LeBron? They were all shooting jumpers.
Bret

Orlando, FL

#20 May 25, 2009
Just like to make the scariest observation point. What happens if Turk and the team actually start hitting their 3 pointers? Anyone remember that last regular season game in Orlando? 41 point lead. The magic havent really had a complete game and havent even played well yet. Be ready it will happen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

J.J. Redick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NBA notebook - Dec. 1 (Dec '13) Dec '13 Lois 1
Keep JJ at home with the Magic, please (Jan '13) Jan '13 Lois 1
News Updating the Top 100 NBA Players at the First Q... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Lois 1
News Joe Johnson scores 22 points; Nets top Magic 98... (Dec '12) Dec '12 pete 1
News Magic play host to Suns (Nov '12) Nov '12 Lois 1
News J.J. Redick has some peace of mind about his un... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Lois 1
News Nine key questions the Orlando Magic will face ... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Lois 1
More from around the web