Intensity lacking for Magic

There are 20 comments on the May 6, 2009, Orlando Sentinel story titled Intensity lacking for Magic. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

T he Magic lost a playoff game Wednesday night. And it didn't matter. Clearly, it didn't matter.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
BostonTRUCKS

Kings Park, NY

#1 May 6, 2009
Since half time of game 1 the Celtics have whooped the Magic's rear in 6 straight quarters..

I see the Celts winning game 3, 5, 6

Celts will win 4-2...mark my words
Nozar

Winter Park, FL

#3 May 6, 2009
Wow Bianchi. Wow. You are the biggest flip-flopper in the world. Was it not you who said "Bring on the Celtcis," and who, after winnning game 1, said that it didn't matter that the Magic played like garbage the last quarter and a half? Well guess what, it did matter. Maybe you shouldn't jinx a team by glorifying it prematurely. Sweep the Celtics? We'd be lucky to win the series. Stop giving the team undeserved airs, and hence, facilitating its meltdown.
Jon

Orlando, FL

#6 May 6, 2009
Nipsy Russell, thats funny. The magic showed tonight they are not ready to be champions. It was unlikely they would win, but to not show up is embarassing. Lets hope Lee is back for game 3, cuz I think Alston will not be there.
Manny San Miguel

United States

#8 May 7, 2009
'Nuff said... and the worst is I don't really know IF they will recover from this debacle; It's NOT in their character!

We need to make BIG changes in the makeup of this team... pronto! For next year, Hedo and MP HAVE to go... we'll get two who REALLY hunger for a championship and SHOW it by being CONSISTENT.

I will take back my poem and keep it in my desk drawer to remind myself of my mistake...

This is a CHARACTER issue and I'm afraid Orlando is deficient, starting with Dwight! I am sooooo disappointed...
bugsmm

Concord, CA

#9 May 7, 2009
Series OVER...sad, but true. Consistent bad judgement on offense, can't stop anyone on defense. No recent team that relied this heavily on jump shots has won a title, and it isn't about to happen, Orlando. Unfortunately a change in team attitude/philosophy is an offseason matter...have fun fishin'
Caladium

Winter Springs, FL

#10 May 7, 2009
The Magic haven't been able to play consistently for years. They remind me of kids that cannot keep their minds on anything long enough to finish it. Start a book, drop it halfway through. Start building a model airplane, give up before you even get the covering on the wings. Start a puzzle and stop halfway through. The original "Not quite ready for prime time basketball team" and we're building them a multi-million dollar arena as a reward?

Count the flags hanging overhead: "1.......... errrrr 1.......errrr what happened to the rest? " There haven't been any since Shaq left town. The only thing that might be fluttering in the rafters is an errant T-shirt fired too high.
Chester Garfield

Winter Springs, FL

#11 May 7, 2009
bugsmm wrote:
Series OVER...sad, but true. Consistent bad judgement on offense, can't stop anyone on defense. No recent team that relied this heavily on jump shots has won a title, and it isn't about to happen, Orlando. Unfortunately a change in team attitude/philosophy is an offseason matter...have fun fishin'
That's been the problem. All of them don't want to play in the playoffs any more, never did. They all want to head off on their summer vacations and blow the money heaped on them for "potential". This will never, ever, be something team owners can address until they change the method of compensation. You drop signing bonuses, you start ALL players equally on a salary and make them earn their bonuses by PERFORMANCE. When they win and do outstanding, they ALL have opportunities to make big bucks. When they have a disgraceful showing like last night, no bonuses for anyone. That's how you cure the malaise and "lack of enthusiasm" You play, we pay. Simple, case solved. If owners want to keep being idiots and paying for "potential" then to Hell with them, they are too dumb to waste my time and effort explaining how to fix the problem.
nanningbob

Dublin, Ireland

#12 May 7, 2009
Manny San Miguel wrote:
'Nuff said... and the worst is I don't really know IF they will recover from this debacle; It's NOT in their character!
We need to make BIG changes in the makeup of this team... pronto! For next year, Hedo and MP HAVE to go... we'll get two who REALLY hunger for a championship and SHOW it by being CONSISTENT.
I will take back my poem and keep it in my desk drawer to remind myself of my mistake...
This is a CHARACTER issue and I'm afraid Orlando is deficient, starting with Dwight! I am sooooo disappointed...
What do you mean its not their character. The Magic had what 2 back to back losses all season until the final 2 weeks. They also have the 2nd best road record in the NBA over the last two year. Your comment is just dumb. They won 4 playoff games in a row, three of them on the road and you say they have no character. That is really dumb really really dumb.

“"Hoop there it is"”

Since: Mar 09

Windermere, FL

#13 May 7, 2009
Nice article.

Unfortunately, I don't think you turn your intensity on-and-off.

And it wasn't a one time occurrence for this team. It's happened repeatedly.

They really don't care about the game as much as fans do.

They have too much money.

After this series loss, they will all go to some exotic vacation spot and spend more money in a day on luxuries, then we average folks would spend in a month on necessities.

Face it. We really are stupid to continue financially supporting these players - who can't even give effort in a game - when we're cutting sports programs for our own kids!

Maybe reality will set in ... sometime.
emgee

Cocoa Beach, FL

#14 May 7, 2009
No one on this team has a champion's heart. No one has mental or physical toughness. No one is a leader. A collection of nice players, but not a championship team. Can't blame it on the coach. No one even has the discipline to run the offense he's coaching. What is Van Gundy to do? Bench everyone? Suit up the assistant coaches and the towell boy?$200 million spent on Howard and Lewis and neither of them can fill up a jockstrap. Pathetic. I've stopped watching.
Bill Russell

Debary, FL

#15 May 7, 2009
Talk to me when you grow to be 5' Bianchi....
Realist76

Tallahassee, FL

#16 May 7, 2009
BostonTRUCKS wrote:
Since half time of game 1 the Celtics have whooped the Magic's rear in 6 straight quarters..
I see the Celts winning game 3, 5, 6
Celts will win 4-2...mark my words
That's because you're from Boston, and therefore an idiot.

“"Hoop there it is"”

Windermere, FL

#17 May 7, 2009
nanningbob wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you mean its not their character. The Magic had what 2 back to back losses all season until the final 2 weeks. They also have the 2nd best road record in the NBA over the last two year. Your comment is just dumb. They won 4 playoff games in a row, three of them on the road and you say they have no character. That is really dumb really really dumb.
Face they don't care. Too much money. Too soft.

You simply don't EVER play a game like this and think your champions.

“"Hoop there it is"”

Windermere, FL

#18 May 7, 2009
Reflect on this from the SI article about DH:

It's something that flummoxes even Howard. "The biggest thing for me is, I have to learn how to play hard on a consistent basis," he says. "I do it for five or six games, and then I might take one game off. Not that I take a game off, but I might take some possessions off and I'm not as aggressive as I can be." Asked why, he frowns. "I don't really know. We had a game the other night in Philly, and I was so excited to play, I was amped up. But as soon as the game started, for some reason my energy was gone. The whole game I was frustrated; I had a couple of fouls. I wanted to get myself going, but I couldn't ever do it."

And he's the leader of this team?

Can you hear Bill Russell saying that? EVER?
NBAneedsMoney

Winter Park, FL

#19 May 7, 2009
You could read all the articles on all the websites - not one mention of the officiating in this game. The bottom line is, the NBA was not going to let the road team go up 2-0 in this series. The fact that these "reporters" won't even acknowledge it as a factor gives you as much assurance as seeing the foreign media cheer for our president.
Still, it would have been nice to see the Magic make a sustained push in the second half where the refs toned down their officiating onslaught that put the Magic well behind in the second quarter. Oh, wait, they did make numerous mini comebacks in the fourth - only to have the refs step in and apply a little of their own magic at just the right time each time. Love it or hate it folks - this is NBA basketball.
maxfield

Christmas, FL

#20 May 7, 2009
Does this mean that my talk radio shows will be back on WDBO again? Glad this playoff crap is over.

“"Hoop there it is"”

Windermere, FL

#21 May 7, 2009
NBAneedsMoney wrote:
You could read all the articles on all the websites - not one mention of the officiating in this game. The bottom line is, the NBA was not going to let the road team go up 2-0 in this series. The fact that these "reporters" won't even acknowledge it as a factor gives you as much assurance as seeing the foreign media cheer for our president.
Still, it would have been nice to see the Magic make a sustained push in the second half where the refs toned down their officiating onslaught that put the Magic well behind in the second quarter. Oh, wait, they did make numerous mini comebacks in the fourth - only to have the refs step in and apply a little of their own magic at just the right time each time. Love it or hate it folks - this is NBA basketball.
I agree, but the magic gave no effort PERIOD.

Mini comebacks? Was that when the ball happened to fall in the hoop?
doc

Land O Lakes, FL

#22 May 7, 2009
One word (scared).
Realist76

Tallahassee, FL

#23 May 7, 2009
Wow all these people writing us off... and after just one game for that matter.. How uncommon, so much flip flopping. Orlando will win both games at home and everyone will jump back on the bandwagon. BostonTRUCKS is just a moron. Orlando just missed shots. Wont happen again.

“"Hoop there it is"”

Windermere, FL

#24 May 7, 2009
Realist76 wrote:
Wow all these people writing us off... and after just one game for that matter.. How uncommon, so much flip flopping. Orlando will win both games at home and everyone will jump back on the bandwagon. BostonTRUCKS is just a moron. Orlando just missed shots. Wont happen again.
I bet Boston wins the next game - easy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

J.J. Redick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NBA notebook - Dec. 1 (Dec '13) Dec '13 Lois 1
Keep JJ at home with the Magic, please (Jan '13) Jan '13 Lois 1
News Updating the Top 100 NBA Players at the First Q... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Lois 1
News Joe Johnson scores 22 points; Nets top Magic 98... (Dec '12) Dec '12 pete 1
News Magic play host to Suns (Nov '12) Nov '12 Lois 1
News J.J. Redick has some peace of mind about his un... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Lois 1
News Nine key questions the Orlando Magic will face ... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Lois 1
More from around the web