J.J. Redick out as starter

There are 28 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Dec 8, 2008, titled J.J. Redick out as starter. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

J.J. Redick 's four-game run as a starter for the Orlando Magic is over. Coach Stan Van Gundy said after Monday's shootaround at Staples Center that he will start Keith Bogans in Redick's place at shooting ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dave

Denver, CO

#1 Dec 8, 2008
I'm sick and tired of hearing what a great sharpshooter Redick is. I know he was deadly-accurate at Duke, but so far that hasn't translated to the NBA. If he isn't hitting shots, he's pretty much worthless since he's a below-average defender. I think its a pretty obvious move SVG had to make.
LMAO

AOL

#2 Dec 8, 2008
Great News! JJ can get back to the Pine and not risk any injuries that could hurt him when he gets to his new team and becomes one of their leading scorers!

:)
Mark Davis

Clermont, FL

#6 Dec 8, 2008
I think the future is Courtney Lee. He can shoot and defend. We need to get him the minutes to learn to defend better.

I'm not sure why but Reddick just isn't clicking yet and even if he does start hitting shots he still can't defend as well.
johnny gohome

AOL

#7 Dec 8, 2008
I really feel badly for JJ but he just hasn't produced given a legitimate opportunity by VanGundy. Who knows why? It's time to admit that he was as bad a high draft choice as Vasquez. Thank goodness that Lee shows some real promise. Sorry JJ, but it's time for you to move on if anyone is really interested.

Since: Oct 08

Debary, FL

#8 Dec 8, 2008
johnny gohome wrote:
I really feel badly for JJ but he just hasn't produced given a legitimate opportunity by VanGundy. Who knows why? It's time to admit that he was as bad a high draft choice as Vasquez. Thank goodness that Lee shows some real promise. Sorry JJ, but it's time for you to move on if anyone is really interested.
Bad as Vasquez?? At least JJ showed up!

I do feel we need to focus our attention on Courtney Lee as Bogans back up...he just has looked too good and seems to feel natural out there...I'm sorry JJ, I'm still rooting for ya, but it's just how I feel.
tony

Fayetteville, NC

#9 Dec 8, 2008
What are the jj lovers going to come up with now for his excuse? He has been given every opportunity to suceed and hasn't stepped up. The bad news is this killed whatever small trade value he had
themilkman

Lufkin, TX

#12 Dec 8, 2008
I AGREE!!....we need to train Courtney Lee....GIVE him more minutes......10-12/mop up minutes are'nt enough.......give him atleast 20 to 25.....he gots potential!
SUPERMAN

United States

#13 Dec 8, 2008
You give Dukies a bad name, punk.
LMAO wrote:
Great News! JJ can get back to the Pine and not risk any injuries that could hurt him when he gets to his new team and becomes one of their leading scorers!
:)
GetItDone

Lady Lake, FL

#14 Dec 8, 2008
JJ has some talent, i believe that he could probably be a contributor on some team in the NBA. He just happens to be on a team thats deep @his position. His strength is his shooting, but guess what? Bogans can shoot, Lee appears he can shoot, and we found out that Peitrus can also. The difference between Redick and the others is that they all have another facet to their game that JJ doesn't, which makes him expendable.

Debary, FL

#15 Dec 8, 2008
GetItDone wrote:
JJ has some talent, i believe that he could probably be a contributor on some team in the NBA. He just happens to be on a team thats deep @his position. His strength is his shooting, but guess what? Bogans can shoot, Lee appears he can shoot, and we found out that Peitrus can also. The difference between Redick and the others is that they all have another facet to their game that JJ doesn't, which makes him expendable.
The ones you named can not only shoot but they can defend as well.

My feeling is Redick will turn it on one day. It took Steve Kerr some time to figure out his NBA game. I think he is going to play the same role as Kerr played the last 6-7 years of his career.It just won't be here.
Psychoriasis

Philippines

#16 Dec 8, 2008
Will the Lakers give back Ariza for Reddick?
Michael in Ocoee

Apopka, FL

#17 Dec 8, 2008
Bummer, but he had his chance. He's a good kid. Hopefully, he'll do better in Denver.:-)

Best of success, J.J.
Michael in Ocoee

Apopka, FL

#18 Dec 8, 2008
"K-Bo! Me say K-a-a-bo. K-Bo come and J.J. go home. K, me say K, me say K, me say K-a-a-bo. K-Bo come and J.J. go home."

Debary, FL

#19 Dec 8, 2008
And as it is being proven now live. JJ is back to where he began.He can't say he didn't have a chance.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#22 Dec 8, 2008
Mark Davis wrote:
I think the future is Courtney Lee. He can shoot and defend. We need to get him the minutes to learn to defend better.
I'm not sure why but Reddick just isn't clicking yet and even if he does start hitting shots he still can't defend as well.
I agree completely! Courtney has shown more heart, and a LOT more quickness, talent and aggresiveness in limited minutes than JJ. Love JJ at Duke, but Courtney is the MAN!
eric

Seattle, WA

#23 Dec 8, 2008
he was 8-19 in 4 starts. That's not bad-- but the one factor that stood out for me is how little he got the ball! He had 4 5 5 and 5 FGA's in lengthy minutes, you don't ignore your shooter!
eric

Seattle, WA

#24 Dec 8, 2008
er, JJ Redick that is. He really really needs a different team. I too will LMFAO when he comes back to torch Orlando.
"Courtney Lee is the man!" hahahahahh!
Michael in Ocoee

Apopka, FL

#25 Dec 9, 2008
eric wrote:
he was 8-19 in 4 starts. That's not bad-- but the one factor that stood out for me is how little he got the ball! He had 4 5 5 and 5 FGA's in lengthy minutes, you don't ignore your shooter!
Unless you have no faith in him. He's a good kid. He'll get a chance somewhere else and find a little Steve Kerr type nitch. He's done here.
marko

Oviedo, FL

#26 Dec 9, 2008
i predict this is jj's last year in orlando.he will be traded...the magic need a top notch hi first round pick for the very best 2 gaurd posion!we need a top notch guy who can light it up,run the floor,slash to the whole,play defense..the whole package! then we can win a championship..nobody is scared of orlando in the playoffs because we lack that great two gaurd who can do it all..we invested to much into the point gaurd position.we need a 6'6 to 6'8 two gaurd who can give other tema probelms alond dwight howard!
marko

Oviedo, FL

#27 Dec 9, 2008
if we could just add a nice 2 gaurd..then we could get past boston for sure!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

J.J. Redick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NBA notebook - Dec. 1 (Dec '13) Dec '13 Lois 1
Keep JJ at home with the Magic, please (Jan '13) Jan '13 Lois 1
News Updating the Top 100 NBA Players at the First Q... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Lois 1
News Joe Johnson scores 22 points; Nets top Magic 98... (Dec '12) Dec '12 pete 1
News Magic play host to Suns (Nov '12) Nov '12 Lois 1
News J.J. Redick has some peace of mind about his un... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Lois 1
News Nine key questions the Orlando Magic will face ... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Lois 1
More from around the web