Thibodeau would give Jackson a run fo...

Thibodeau would give Jackson a run for Knicks job

There are 14 comments on the AMNY story from Apr 23, 2008, titled Thibodeau would give Jackson a run for Knicks job. In it, AMNY reports that:

If there is a No. 1 contender to challenge the favorite, Mark Jackson , for the Knicks ' coaching vacancy, it may be the widely respected Tom Thibodeau, who, like Jackson, is also a Jeff Van Gundy disciple.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at AMNY.

Bob M

Wolcott, CT

#1 Apr 23, 2008
Just the thought that Thomas is around, and probably still has Dolan's ear is enough to make me a little nervous. I'd feel a lot better if he were out the door entirely. I don't trust him nearly as far as I could throw Eddy Curry.
EMDUBZ-7

United States

#2 Apr 23, 2008
Yeah Herb Williams would make a good coach no question but it's time for a new regime. Thibs experience around the league plus being with the Celtics right now would be my choice and have Mark and Pat as assistants. Fresh blood on the bench.If not I'd probably make a run at Calipari to come in,as much as I like Van Gundy,I'd have to pass,and I'm also glad it's not Skiles.Carlisle would be cool but I don't want to see Pacers 2.0 This is NEW YORK! And we need and experieced GM as well. someone who could attract some of the leagues best players as well as Draft top prospects.
...Then comes the player trades,Depending where the Knicks pick fall hopefully top three,Rose at the top of the list, westbrook or Mayo because we need a guard who plays both ends of the floor. Unless some miracle we land Beasley. then you make trades accordingly, one of the first players that come to mind for me would be Josh Smith, why didn't Atlanta offer him a contract extention? at power forward I'd probably go after Okafor or somebody like that, I'm keeping Marbury to the end of his contract,Trading Crawford,YES! CRAWFORD!(The time is NOW!!) Randolph, Malik Rose, James, Jeffries,Balkman,Collins,Morri s.Try to hold on to D.Lee if possible.Definately keeping chandler for now he'll start.nate Q.rich. Curry (either him or Z) big men are hard to come by. its easier to get a PF for low post pressence thats why Okafor or like a Wilcox would fit.
then you can make your move in 2010, which I doubt we'll get Lebron or Wade. Which leaves Bosh Who will be looking to play in a big market. Deron Williams Chris Paul anyone? Maybe.
WhyNYWhy

United States

#3 Apr 23, 2008
Question for anyone: Why is Jax considered the favorite? He has no coaching experience. If he really wanted to get into coaching, why hasn't Jax been at least assistant coaching recently?
Mr Knick

Orlando, FL

#4 Apr 23, 2008
WhyNYWhy wrote:
Question for anyone: Why is Jax considered the favorite? He has no coaching experience. If he really wanted to get into coaching, why hasn't Jax been at least assistant coaching recently?
A marquee name and a homegrown product. Personally, Walsh's reasons for not giving Jeff Van Gundy serious consideration (don't believe the politically correct comments in the paper of non-interest on Van Gundy's part or otherwise)troubled me, but I can see a mid-size window of understanding for Walsh to produce his own product. Regardless, any diciple of the Riley/Van Gundy era would be a great fit - instilling defense back into a team that has chosen to remain distant from such play. I believe Tom Thibodeau should be given as much consideration as Jackson, if not more. My preferences are as follows:(1) Jeff Van Gundy,(2) Rick Carlisle,(3) Mark Jackson and (4) Tom Thibodeau
Chris

Greenvale, NY

#5 Apr 23, 2008
I'll go with:(1)Van Gundy,(2)Thibodeau,(3)Carlisle ,(4)Ewing,(5)Jackson
HarleyRider

Colnbrook, UK

#6 Apr 23, 2008
I like Jackson, and always have. But we've suffered enough, and need someone with experience. I'd go for Carlisle
Lionel

Woodbridge, CT

#7 Apr 23, 2008
EMDUBZ-7 wrote:
Yeah Herb Williams would make a good coach no question but it's time for a new regime. Thibs experience around the league plus being with the Celtics right now would be my choice and have Mark and Pat as assistants. Fresh blood on the bench.If not I'd probably make a run at Calipari to come in,as much as I like Van Gundy,I'd have to pass,and I'm also glad it's not Skiles.Carlisle would be cool but I don't want to see Pacers 2.0 This is NEW YORK! And we need and experieced GM as well. someone who could attract some of the leagues best players as well as Draft top prospects.
...Then comes the player trades,Depending where the Knicks pick fall hopefully top three,Rose at the top of the list, westbrook or Mayo because we need a guard who plays both ends of the floor. Unless some miracle we land Beasley. then you make trades accordingly, one of the first players that come to mind for me would be Josh Smith, why didn't Atlanta offer him a contract extention? at power forward I'd probably go after Okafor or somebody like that, I'm keeping Marbury to the end of his contract,Trading Crawford,YES! CRAWFORD!(The time is NOW!!) Randolph, Malik Rose, James, Jeffries,Balkman,Collins,Morri s.Try to hold on to D.Lee if possible.Definately keeping chandler for now he'll start.nate Q.rich. Curry (either him or Z) big men are hard to come by. its easier to get a PF for low post pressence thats why Okafor or like a Wilcox would fit.
then you can make your move in 2010, which I doubt we'll get Lebron or Wade. Which leaves Bosh Who will be looking to play in a big market. Deron Williams Chris Paul anyone? Maybe.
My man obviously you do not follow B-Ball. Calipari signed an extension with Memphis..and your acquisitions are unrealisticc....He you're Isiah!!!!!!!!
ricky b ball

Orlando, FL

#8 Apr 23, 2008
I thought Isiah got a bad rap for a bad team. Had he been given a 6 or 7 year extension, he would have turned the team around and lead us to several championships.
scagjimmy-aol-co m

AOL

#9 Apr 23, 2008
Good times are ahead for the Knicks!! Walsh is as good as it gets and if Jackson is hired as coach, that is the start of a good stable orginisation.
rim rocker

West Hempstead, NY

#10 Apr 23, 2008
donnie,
Let;s hope & pray with the grace of god
and some help from David Stern, we will
win the NBA Lottery & draft Derrick Rose.

Knick fans have suffered long enough
it's time that the stars are alined for a
bright future.

Be patient & let the Marbury & rose contracts
along with the others, get two stud draft pick
the next two seasons & then hit free agency.

P.S. Donnie Joey Dorsey wouldn't be a bad
second round pick this year. We need toughness
Bob

Lake Wales, FL

#11 Apr 24, 2008
Thibodeau helped the Celts become the number one defense in the league in short order, if his contract allows it Dolan should offer him a fat raise to come to NY as an assistant with the understanding that he would be next if things didn't work out with Jax.

If Jax turns out to be a flash in the pan, we would have someone ready to fill in.

Jax was known for his skills as a court general but no one ever thought of him as a defensive stopper or someone who took defense very
seriously. The Knicks need someone on that bench who does, as a head coach or an asst.
Mike Bibbys A Penishead

Utica, KY

#12 Apr 24, 2008
New York for the love of god, give the new head coaching job to Rick Carlsile. I can't stand that guy as an anouncer, he is worst then Thomas "the fatass Tank" Tolbert and almost as bad as Bill Walton. And please don't take Mark Jackson or Jeff VanGundi out of the anouncing booth they rule!!!!!!
They are maybe next to Marv Alberts the best!!!!!!!
terry lechecul

Montréal, Canada

#13 Apr 25, 2008
Thibodeau has 18 years coaching in the NBA. Mark Jackson hasnt coached even a girls junior high squad.

Let me remind you before this year's most excellent job in Boston, Thibo worked under coach Van Grumpy in Houston and especially with Yao AS WELL AS IN NEW YORK from 1996 to 2003.

Going back to Van Gundy would have felt like reheated refried beans.
Going to Thibo would be a bridge for fans of the turn of the millenia Knicks as well as an excellent coach with impecable NBA credentials and feedback from media, players, managements.

I dont want to hear the names Thibodeau and Jackson together in any sentence involving the coaching of basketball.
Mike Bibbys A Penishead

Utica, KY

#14 Apr 25, 2008
terry lechecul wrote:
Thibodeau has 18 years coaching in the NBA. Mark Jackson hasnt coached even a girls junior high squad.
Let me remind you before this year's most excellent job in Boston, Thibo worked under coach Van Grumpy in Houston and especially with Yao AS WELL AS IN NEW YORK from 1996 to 2003.
Going back to Van Gundy would have felt like reheated refried beans.
Going to Thibo would be a bridge for fans of the turn of the millenia Knicks as well as an excellent coach with impecable NBA credentials and feedback from media, players, managements.
I dont want to hear the names Thibodeau and Jackson together in any sentence involving the coaching of basketball.
How bout Rick Carlsile, Donnie Walsh likes him?????
he did manage to get the Pacers to win over 60 games, take them to the Eastern conference finals and come closer then any team in the NBA that year to beating the champs the Detroit Pissofftens with Isiah Thomas' team. You know he could do the same thing with your Knicks since Isiah Thomas did engineer their current team.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Herb Williams Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Curry makes big return for Knicks (Oct '08) Oct '08 BrkmB 1
News Knicks icon Ewing enters Hall of Fame (Sep '08) Sep '08 Mr Pebbles 6
News Knicks icon Ewing enters Hall of Fame Friday (Sep '08) Sep '08 Matt 1
News Williams gets to stay as Knicks assistant (Jun '08) Jun '08 Ole School Knick Fan 4
News Knicks fill out D'Antoni's coaching staff (Jun '08) Jun '08 blackracingfan 3
News Ewing unlikely to be on Knicks' coaching staff (May '08) May '08 Scott 1
News Williams likely to stay on as Knicks assistant (May '08) May '08 Trap 1
More from around the web