Time for Orlando Magic to rough up Ki...

Time for Orlando Magic to rough up King James

There are 56 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from May 29, 2009, titled Time for Orlando Magic to rough up King James. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Back when Richie Adubato coached the Magic in 1997, his then 6-year-old son Adam gave him a few tips.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
gomagic

Palm Coast, FL

#1 May 29, 2009
thats what I'm talking about. they way the Cav's have pounding on Dwight it is time take on Lebron. Throw some extra bodies on him early. Even if you pick up fouls do it early in the 24 second clock so he can't get a rhythem going. Maybe even doing a little offense/defense substitutions to make a point. You may have to be a little subtle to not upset Magic's own rhythem but give them a little something to take notice. Let Foyle meet and greet Verajerk while we are at it.
Reality Check

AOL

#2 May 29, 2009
Love the "Side Show Bob" reference on Anderson Verajo!

Seriously, time to bring out the "Jordan Rules" and use all the fouls you have against James.
Joe Comment

Mount Dora, FL

#3 May 30, 2009
If we play well as a team, Labron shouldnt be able to beat us. We need to shut everyone else down. Peitrus is doing a great job marking James. Stopping him from scoring? No but slowing him down and making him work. The Cavs supporting cast are chokers. So if they are not able to hit their shots in what should be a crazy loud venue. It will be back to Labron vs the Magic and I like our chances.

Go Magic!
Moise

Wichita, KS

#4 May 30, 2009
Strategy:

I like Rafer, he gave us a huge lift on Game 6. But, he needs to give the ball up when he is not making shot. 1/10 is rediculous; that's where the lost came from, especially when you only scored 3 points, we was the first 3 points of the night. Not a single foul shot.

Look at Hedo during game 3. He was 1/10, but he had 15 points and 12 assists. He attacked the basket and drew fouls. Rafer just kept shooting (with much time left on the clock I might add). I get it that you have to keep shooting to get your momentum going, but not in this game. If you are the only one open, do what you do best, attack the basket (that's why they call you "Skip to My Lu", right?

Every player in the NBA has an "on" and "off" night. Find the player(s) with the hot hand and pass them the ball.

Dwight: If you have three players on you, that means there are two offensive players open; pass the ball. There were many occasions where D-12 had 2 or 3 players on him and he tried to shot and lost the ball. You know the refs are not going to call a foul, especially if they can't see it. You have three on you, they do not call a foul when there is one. Lebron has one player on him, they call a foul even when there is none. I am not complaining, that's how the game has been played. Truth be told.

Coach SVG: MP is doing a better job offensively and defensively than Courtney Lee. Start him. And even if you don't start him, give him some minutes. CL is struggeling right now. Also, go with the '5' that do a better job on the floor, unless they are on foul trouble. RL, D-12 and MP were all playing with 4 fouls during the last minutes of Game 5. Thats 3 of our defenders (the best three) That, my friend, allows the other team to just attack the basket, because they know we will just move out of the way, not wanting to get one or two and foul our early. I get that you have to keep them for defensive purpose, but what good is the defense when they attack and we move out of the way?

Finally: Play JJ and if he is struggeling, you can take him out. The guy is a good shooter when he is into it. He has not played at all during this series, granted, we are 3-2, but 2 of these "W's" have been very close. If you can keep CL on the floor when he is struggling (lately, he does not even take that many shots), then play JJ, give him some times to get his shots. They guy will not get better on the bench. Martin Gortat is getting better, he already blocked two of Lebron's shot this series,and I think D-12 only did it once (if you don't count the CLEAN block from behind during game 3 that fouled him out of the game). If D-12 is in foul trouble, don't let Lebron foul him out, play Gortat. Or, if you see that D-12 is struggeling with 2 or 3 guys on him, play Gortat early, they are not going to double team him, and that has been very effective.

The Magic have been doing a superb job against the Cavs. But please, I say again, please, keep doing that. Because we do not want 2003 to repeat itself 'knock on wood'.

Let's go Magic, bring the Eastern Conference Championship home, TONIGHT, not Monday, not next year, TONIGHT!! TONIGHT is the NIGHT. We have a 75%, with the crowd behind us, and if we do not do it, Monday will be a 50/50 with the crowd behind them.

We need it done, TONIGHT!!!
check it out

Auburn, WA

#5 May 30, 2009
they cant allow dwight to throw an elbow, shuffle his feet, and camp in the paint for 6 seconds on every play and still call a foul...its one or the other!
Jeff

Orlando, FL

#6 May 30, 2009
I have to say I dont know what kind of league plans to start the finals before both series are over and knowing how many games will be played. If Orlando wins tonight, theres no basketball for nearly a week. Its like the league is planning a game 7 scenario and the LA series is over with so that leaves only this series to go 7.

I will be watching the game and I will be taping the game as will many in Orlando and I better not see a total screw job by the refs like I've seen so many times this post season. This is a trip to the NBA FINALS on the line and it better not be decided by the damn referees.

That said, its obvious to me that no matter what happens when Lebron goes into the lane he gets every foul call imaginable, whether hes actually fouled or not (and trust me most of the time there arent fouls). He makes the shot and gets the foul call and if there were really fouls, he wouldnt be making any kind of shot. I would let Battie and Gortat roam the paint and when he goes charging (literally because thats about all he can do) have them foul him hard and make him earn the points. No ticky tacky stuff. Im getting sick of watching him run into people throw up a shot and get an and 1 call every single time. Time for some of our bigs to make him pay for bringing the ball into the paint. Hardcore foul style where the ball just careens out of bounds with no chance of going into the basket.

Let him shoot jumpers all night like in game 1 and 3. Foul him hard when he drives into the paint so he cant make the shot, they do this to Dwight all game by nearly and sometimes literally tackling him so it better be no big deal. If they can tackle Dwight, we should be able to tackle Lebron, end of story.
Go Magic

Merritt Island, FL

#7 May 30, 2009
I would expect this type of BS column if I was sitting in Cleveland ..... BUT I"M NOT. I'm sitting in Central Florida and I want to read about how outstanding the Magic players are playing.
Lois Lane

De Leon Springs, FL

#8 May 30, 2009
GD, you are SO on the money. If we are going to get a foul everytime we breathe on Lebron, then let's make those fouls more productive. Swarm, block, and obstruct Lebron's drives to the net. We'll draw the foul - of course - but come on...don't let the man get the shot as well. Make the man earn his shots from the FTs and jumpers. And don't give Lebron time to think on those jumpers...swarm and defend. Yes, Lebron may get the shot anyway...but make it difficult. Make it really difficult. Yep, utilize Gortat and Foyle - keeping Howard from getting into trouble, especially early. Rotate players against Lebron...always have a fresher man/men in his face. Let's make our inevitable fouls fun and make the "King" really work...bringing the wear and tear to a higher level.

And yes, Hedo - put those arms up, mister! It's A-okay. Really.

The Magic really needs to take this thing tonight. They're at home and we're behind them 300%. Come on SVG, let's try some new things...some fun things. Let's really earn those fouls. Shake it up.

Excuse me now. Gotta gather my lucky undies and tee. I'm praying, lighting candles and have my Cav voodoo dolls ready. Magic mojo a'risin'. I have beer and pretzels. Now let's go - and win this thing.
Glass Half Full

Winter Garden, FL

#9 May 30, 2009
If Howard has two fouls in the first quater, praying is not goin to help.
shaq Oflopapanick

Lake Mary, FL

#10 May 30, 2009
I agree on LBJ fouls "knock his socks off". Look no matter what he is getting the call...so get your moneys worth. He's a 78% FT shooter, but misses when he is tired and sometimes under pressure. Put him on the floor because your getting called anyway. Also use the Boston "continuation slap" strategy...you know like on Brad Miller. Dwight when your getting attacked tonight under the board could you please elbow a ref or 2!
Fred

Kissimmee, FL

#11 May 30, 2009
Foyle's only job tonight should be to put LBJ on the floor - Even if it means he fouls out in the first half. Its time to start playing more physical.
44 Rules

Brunswick, OH

#12 May 30, 2009
There is not a single man on the foor for the Magic or in the league for that matter who can muscle and out hustle LeBron unless it is dirty play. If you can name one please let me know. If Howard throws another cheap elbow tonight count on Big Ben returning the favor times two. It should be a physical game but hopefully not a punk street game. If you are a true basketball fan thats what you would hope for but instead most of the magic fans are on the bandwagon.

Keep this in mind, despite the supporting players for the Cavs shooting horrible and well below there season averages in games 1 - 4, the Magic have scored 2 more total points in all the games than the Cavs. Plus the Magic have been on fire from 3 point range. Something has to give tonight. The games have been very entertaining to true basketball fans. Perhaps it has not been so fun for overly emotional cry babies.

Lets face it in game 5 Rapher Allston played like Rapher Alston and Mo Wiliams played like Mo Williams. For the Cav to win tonight Mo must perform like he did in game 5.

Lets get it on and the best team wil win the series. Not sure who that is right now only time will tell
marko

Oviedo, FL

#13 May 30, 2009
magic need to do whatever it takes to win tonight,if it means playing some ruff basketball,so be it..hopefully rashard lewis gets hot again and helps ends this series tonight..we as magic fans who go to the game tonight need a wild crazy atmosphere..look like the wildest fans in any sport..wear all magic blue...scream non stop...make it a tuff enviroment for cavs tonight...chant defense for magic non stop..leave game with a lost voice! magic need the hi crazy energy and atmosphere tonight...close this series out guys...come on...focus,energy,hungry attitude,relentless,refuse to loose,mean,tuff,all out defense tonight!!!
44 Rules

Brunswick, OH

#14 May 30, 2009
Another thing to watch tonight is if the Cavs play Waly more on either Hedo or Lewis. I am not suggesting by any means that he is an equal player and he is past his prime but he did play Lewis very tough in game 5. Lewis was something like 4 for 12. Despite what you will say, Wally is much stronger than you will ever give him credit for. He is very slow laterally and thats how he can be exploited.

While the Cavs have no true matchup for the Magic forwards I think in crunch time you will see Wally on Lewis and LeBron on Hedo. Shoud be fun to watch.

Finally, while the Magic fans will certainly be loud tonight let me remind you that when Orlando blew out the Cavs in the regular season over 1/3 of the arena were Cavs fans. Welcome to the bandwagon.
Enjoy the game

Graham, NC

#15 May 30, 2009
IMO the Magic have done just fine with Lebron's performances. Listen If the guy gets 50/12/8 and you hold Mo Williams to 15 and the rest of the Cavs to 30 -35 Orlando will win the series. Sometimes people get so caught up STATS and ESPN that they don't actually see the truth. In game 5 Mo scored 24 and Orlando missed 11 FT's or more. The key is to keep the other guys down. Lebron will get his, the only adjustment I would make is instructing the perimeter players to take fouls on him b/f he gets to Dwight. Orlando will finish them off tonight and move on to the Finals.
PL
LatinJag

Port Charlotte, FL

#16 May 30, 2009
I think the we let LeBron do what he wants. Seriously, with the only exception that someone will foul him before he gets to Howard. Let LeBron gets his numbers, it has work all series like that. WQe just need to rough the other 4 guys.
Refs are the intangible here. I want to see Tiger Woods do the pump up fist for the Magic like he is throwing an upper cut. I want to see David Stern in the crowd taking a close look at the class act Magic team who is getting rob by refs in favor of LeBron. I want to see Nick, Otis, Darrell and probably Grant Hill cheering the boys on(no Shaq please).
This is a give and take business. Let Lebron gets his and we take the series. Brilliant!
Art

Valrico, FL

#17 May 30, 2009
Let's start to close up James's favorite running lanes in paint by having all 4 players; M. Pietrus, M. Gortat, T. Battie and H. Turkoglu, to guard James at the same time.
Also put M. Gortat as a guard playing "man-to-man pressure defense" in full court against James for 4 quarters and don't give James a plenty of time to figure out whether to drive or jump shoot. Double or triple team guarding against James and Williams for 4 quarters is neccessary to win the game. Magic in 6 period.
Just the facts

Merritt Island, FL

#18 May 30, 2009
44 Rules wrote:
Lets face it in game 5 Rapher Allston played like Rapher Alston and Mo Wiliams played like Mo Williams.
With respect, I have to clear this up.
Rafer Alston has averaged 12 and 12.6 ppg, respectively in the regular season and playoffs. He had 3 (and that brought his avg down to 12.6, btw).
He has also avg 38% and 41% fg shooting over that same span. His 1 for 10 on Thursday night was just about 31% shy of "playing like Rafer."
NPP

Orlando, FL

#19 May 30, 2009
Enjoy the game wrote:
IMO the Magic have done just fine with Lebron's performances. Listen If the guy gets 50/12/8 and you hold Mo Williams to 15 and the rest of the Cavs to 30 -35 Orlando will win the series. Sometimes people get so caught up STATS and ESPN that they don't actually see the truth. In game 5 Mo scored 24 and Orlando missed 11 FT's or more. The key is to keep the other guys down. Lebron will get his, the only adjustment I would make is instructing the perimeter players to take fouls on him b/f he gets to Dwight. Orlando will finish them off tonight and move on to the Finals.
PL
Agreed ... let Lebron tire himself out scoring 50 points. It's easier to defend the other Cavs' players while they are standing around watching Lebron.
LatinJag

Port Charlotte, FL

#20 May 30, 2009
44 Rules wrote:
Another thing to watch tonight is if the Cavs play Waly more on either Hedo or Lewis. I am not suggesting by any means that he is an equal player and he is past his prime but he did play Lewis very tough in game 5. Lewis was something like 4 for 12. Despite what you will say, Wally is much stronger than you will ever give him credit for. He is very slow laterally and thats how he can be exploited.
While the Cavs have no true matchup for the Magic forwards I think in crunch time you will see Wally on Lewis and LeBron on Hedo. Shoud be fun to watch.
Finally, while the Magic fans will certainly be loud tonight let me remind you that when Orlando blew out the Cavs in the regular season over 1/3 of the arena were Cavs fans. Welcome to the bandwagon.
The reason the Cavs blew out the Magic in that game is because they gave up the 2nd seat to the Celtics already so if you watched you know they eased they way into the post season as a 3rd seat. Orlando had a 1/3 Cavs fans maybe but watch a game against the Knicks when Knicks fans make up close to 1/2. The point is irrelevant. Maybe because you see Usher cheering for them doesnt mean Cleveland bandwagon is in the house. I even saw A-Rod and a few Yankees cheering for them in Cleveland and he grew up in South Fla, who cares.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hedo Turkoglu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Magic play host to Suns (Nov '12) Nov '12 Lois 1
News Should the Orlando Magic Keep Looking for a Bet... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Ginobili 2
News Dwight Howard Trade Rumors: Separating Fact fro... (Jul '12) Jul '12 DavidR 3
News The Magic are Dead, Long Live the Magic (Jun '12) Jul '12 Magsmith 2
News Live updates: Magic hanging tough after first, ... (Apr '12) Apr '12 Lois 1
News Lakers Trade Rumors: Orlando Magic's Lunacy Gua... (Feb '12) Feb '12 Kiwiabedz 2
News Superman about to fly (Feb '12) Feb '12 Sam 2
More from around the web