Gooden, Rose lead Bulls' comeback vic...

Gooden, Rose lead Bulls' comeback victory over Grizzlies

There are 20 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Nov 1, 2008, titled Gooden, Rose lead Bulls' comeback victory over Grizzlies. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Rookie Derrick Rose had his best game, scoring 26 points, and Drew Gooden had 20 rebounds to lead the Bulls to a 96-86 victory over the Memphis Grizzlies on Saturday night.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

chicago87

United States

#1 Nov 1, 2008
rose is going to be R.O.Y
HKT

United States

#2 Nov 1, 2008
2/3 isn't too bad of a way to start a season. Hopefully they can keep it up
chris e

Bellflower, CA

#3 Nov 1, 2008
0-6 on the West Coast trip will end us like it always does. I feel so bad for Rose. He's so used to winning. Losing will infect him like a disease and he'll go into every contest expecting to lose, like the rest of these losers -- My favorite "in denial" moment of the season so far. Ben Gordon saying he "wasn't in rhythm yet" after going 7-12 the other night. Uhh, Ben, that's YOUR BEST SHOOTING NIGHT IN TWO YEARS!!!
vernon

Lehigh Acres, FL

#4 Nov 1, 2008
Rose is super. Paxson certainly couldn't have screwed that one up. However I just cringe when I think of Paxson's give away of Chandler and Jamal and the missed pick with Tyrus. We could have had Gay or Aldridge. I know, I know...its been said far too many times before, but why forget the position Paxson has put this franchise in; today we still might not even make the playoffs with overpaid Deng and Noch ( whom I love). Yeech...someone get rid of this GM; look what his brother did to the Cleveland franchise before they fired him. Just runs in the family...
Now Wait a Minute

Munster, IN

#5 Nov 1, 2008
Tonite just cemented the fact that even though they won, they have to decide who is smart and unselfish enough to play with Rose.
It ain't Gordon and Nocioni- that's for sure.
Gordon constantly takes the team, out of rhythm by trying to handle the ball and take stupid off balance shots. If he is unwilling to let Rose set him up, then sit him down.
Nocioni continues to play the permeter game he was successful with before he got injured 2 years ago, but he looks ridiculous doing so and kills several scoing opportunities.
Despite not being a great shooter, Gooden gets it.
And let's face it, Deng has to go back and practice shooting.
This will take time and a cast makeover- so we will continue to be patient.
Now Wait a Minute

Munster, IN

#6 Nov 1, 2008
chris e wrote:
0-6 on the West Coast trip will end us like it always does. I feel so bad for Rose. He's so used to winning. Losing will infect him like a disease and he'll go into every contest expecting to lose, like the rest of these losers -- My favorite "in denial" moment of the season so far. Ben Gordon saying he "wasn't in rhythm yet" after going 7-12 the other night. Uhh, Ben, that's YOUR BEST SHOOTING NIGHT IN TWO YEARS!!!
So, I take it you prefer to support teams whose star (allegedly) rapes women and then intimidates them into letting him pay them off.
winterFan

AOL

#7 Nov 2, 2008
Now Wait a Minute wrote:
<quoted text>
So, I take it you prefer to support teams whose star (allegedly) rapes women and then intimidates them into letting him pay them off.
Of course he/she does. They also sense a team (Bulls) that are on the rise and the little west coast chumps are getting squeemish.
brentinnc

United States

#8 Nov 2, 2008
Is Deng going to be the "Soriano" of the bulls.. Sure does not look like a 70 million dollar guy to me..
Jonny

Crystal Lake, IL

#9 Nov 2, 2008
the kid is the real deal, but the supporting cast is not. dang, nocioni, hinwreck???, noah all don't fit in. i like tyrus and goodens energy. the rest are just going through the motions. jmho.
Dave

Evanston, IL

#10 Nov 2, 2008
I don't get the criticism of Hinrich. He's playing with energy and intelligence off the bench. I think ultimately, we will see a starting lineup with Hinrich and Rose. Both are good defenders and Rose could help Hinrich get more open looks. Thabo is more of a role player and should come off the bench.
Jim Bob

Pensacola, FL

#11 Nov 2, 2008
Here is the deal. D Rose is an awesome talent. He is the best player to come out of an incredibly talented draft last year. Great pick Pax. But here is where it ends. The T Thomas pick instead of Aldridge will haunt us for the next decade. Let's be honest. I wish it wasn't so, but Tyrus is turning out just like Marcus Fizer, even down to the tatoos. He things he has the talent, he thinks he can shoot, he thinks he can handle the ball, but, he just isn't that good-- he doen't have the touch nor the basketball IQ-- he is not a finisher. Our hope and his hope is that somehow he can morph into a Dennis Rodman type player-- good rebounder , defender, etc. Because right now, in his current state he is doing more harm than good.

Here is what Pax and Vinny need to do. Start Noah at center, play Gooden and Deng at the forwards, team Gordon with D Rose and tell him to let D Rose set him up. In the meantime, Pax needs to make a major blockbuster trade to get a forward that can shoot. Everybody but D Rose is on the table. If he can't pull of a trade, then we wait for 2010 and sign a mega free agent. Meanwhile, the Bulls should be competetive if they turn loose D Rose and let him dominate. WOW, the kid is only 20 years old and played 3 NBA games, but he has got what it takes. Rock on Derrick. Go Vinny and Pax! Go Bulls!
Ouch

Chicago, IL

#12 Nov 2, 2008
We have a lot of GM's and Coaches here. Be real people, it's only 3 games. I'll take the victory and go from that.
Shorewood

Shorewood, IL

#13 Nov 2, 2008
Granted that it is still to be determined whether Thomas can shoot, but you have to be astonished at his rebounding and shot-blocking abilities. He can sky - period. Opposition players have to respect that.

And, the team should impose a $50 fine for every shot from beyond 15 [?] feet that doesn't go in. These guys are just not that good from the outside.
Excited

Chicago, IL

#14 Nov 2, 2008
Captain Kirk has impressed me with the way he has performed so far, despite his benching. I am not convinced Thabo deserves to start at this point, and would like to see Rose and Hinrich in the back court to start games. Also, what is going on with Tyrus T and all those D***M jump shots?
Now Wait a Minute

Munster, IN

#15 Nov 2, 2008
Jim Bob wrote:
Here is the deal. D Rose is an awesome talent. He is the best player to come out of an incredibly talented draft last year. Great pick Pax. But here is where it ends. The T Thomas pick instead of Aldridge will haunt us for the next decade. Let's be honest. I wish it wasn't so, but Tyrus is turning out just like Marcus Fizer, even down to the tatoos. He things he has the talent, he thinks he can shoot, he thinks he can handle the ball, but, he just isn't that good-- he doen't have the touch nor the basketball IQ-- he is not a finisher. Our hope and his hope is that somehow he can morph into a Dennis Rodman type player-- good rebounder , defender, etc. Because right now, in his current state he is doing more harm than good.
Here is what Pax and Vinny need to do. Start Noah at center, play Gooden and Deng at the forwards, team Gordon with D Rose and tell him to let D Rose set him up. In the meantime, Pax needs to make a major blockbuster trade to get a forward that can shoot. Everybody but D Rose is on the table. If he can't pull of a trade, then we wait for 2010 and sign a mega free agent. Meanwhile, the Bulls should be competetive if they turn loose D Rose and let him dominate. WOW, the kid is only 20 years old and played 3 NBA games, but he has got what it takes. Rock on Derrick. Go Vinny and Pax! Go Bulls!
I agree with just about everything you said except Gordon. He should only come in with the team at least 5 points ahead to help bury the opponent- but not in a game situation demanding defense and discipline on offense. He is just too selfish.
He'd be a good fit on a team with 2 or 3 stars who can smash mouth him when he starts playing his own game on the court.
Sheryl Miller

Crystal Lake, IL

#16 Nov 2, 2008
Somebody said get shooting lessons for Deng ..... how about when his shot isn't falling ... granted that would be about every night ... he take the rock to the rack and try to at least draw a foul if not finish. What' wrong with him is that he apparently didn't hit the gym and bulk up a little bit. He seems to be afraid of contact or going to the rim. Those are fatal flaws in the bigtime. Again, why the big money? I'd rather go with Joe Lunch-bucket, Andreas Nocioni, then put a soft player whose game is out-of-synch out there. And, when you have a guy like Tyrus whose native skills are all about jumping and athleticism, if he can't shoot, then put him on the floor when you've got the transition/fast-break squad in so you can at least let him do his thing on alley-oops, put-backs, and shot-blocking. Incentivize Rose, Hinrich, Thabo et al. so that they try to hit him with passes when he's driving to the basket. Many forwards get by on that kind of game ...(e.g., Jefferson) providing they have guards who can get them the ball at the right time.
Rod from Tennessee

AOL

#17 Nov 2, 2008
The problem with the Bulls playing an up tempo style is, Rose is the only player they have, capable of playing that style. A couple others, namely Thomas and Noah could probably run the court in an up tempo game, but they're so offensively challenged they don't know what to do, if the initial break doesn't work. Guys like Noc and Deng aren't up tempo players, in fact, i'm beginning to wonder just what does Deng contribute, other than the biggest part of the salary cap.
Nestor

Aurora, IL

#18 Nov 2, 2008
Rose is doing a great job. This guy has some skills. He is headed for stardom. He's got a great personality and composure which he needs to always keep in check. Pretty soon there will be criticism and comparisons that can be a distraction. Just know that you're on the right track. Don't get careless, don't get sloppy, and don't get cocky. Always show up to play no matter the situation. Always compete and have fun. It's great to watch a competitor. Bless you Derrick and your family. Chicago is a great place to be. Bulls tickets are once again the hottest in the league. GO BULLS !!!
Stephen

Houston, TX

#19 Nov 2, 2008
Now we have GO TO GUY!!! Rose is the star we have needed for years. We never had anyone to take, and make, the last shot of a game. Rose is that guy!
jim

Japan

#20 Nov 2, 2008
Again and again I say. Go to the gym and hour earlier, and leave an hour later. Make it hurt when you miss a 15 footer. People in H.S at lots of schools in Illinois and the nation drain 15 footers. Why a pro can't knock it down with his eyes closed is really beyond me.
Don't they knock em down in practice? How about when they signed? What's the deal with shooting (or rather not shooting) the ball through the hoop?

I just don't understand one dimensional players in a day when there are so many great athletes and players.
Is it only NBA that has this problem? Or is it all professional sports. I guess Grossman of the Bears, and Soriano and Big Z of the Cubs kind of answers my question. Competition is tough. Everyone wants to win. Pressure is huge. The moment of scoring is NOW.

Nothing is automatic, that's why we train harder, and why we love winners. They trained the hardest. Talent is for anyone of these teams that works the hardest.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hakim Warrick Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hornets, Bobcats make deal (Nov '12) Dec '12 montanajoe 7
News Suns send Timberwolves to 14th straight loss, N... (Apr '11) Apr '11 The Wrath of Kahn 14
News Grizzlies spoil Rose's return to Memphis (Dec '08) Dec '08 Nada Surf 21
News Warrick helps Grizzlies beat Warriors again (Nov '08) Nov '08 AVHS Dad 2
News Grizzlies-Knicks Trade Talk Heats Up (Sep '08) Sep '08 fay way grizzilie... 1
News Heat clinch league's worst record (Apr '08) Apr '08 Roger 4
News Kinsey gets support from ex-teammates (Apr '08) Apr '08 Cyndi McPherson 1
More from around the web