If it's a choice, take Rashard over D...

If it's a choice, take Rashard over Darko -- OrlandoSentinel.com

There are 86 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jun 27, 2007, titled If it's a choice, take Rashard over Darko -- OrlandoSentinel.com. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

It's late June, which means it's time for everybody to start telling Otis Smith how to run his business.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Steven

Raleigh, NC

#1 Jun 27, 2007
I totally disagree. You make it sound like the Magic would not sign Darko for 6 mil a year but they would sign Rashard Lewis for 15 mil?? That is insane. I would never give Lewis 15 mil and neither should the magic. I would take Darko at 6 over Lewis at 15 any day and so would anybody with a brain that knows Basketball. If Darko were to take 6 that would be a miracle for the magic, Lewis or not, remember, they have to do Darko's deal first, not last.
The magic should set the limit for Darko at 7 or 8 a year
and 10 or 11 for Lewis. Lewis is not a max play dude.
Bob Rockledge

United States

#2 Jun 27, 2007
I agree the New York above.
We could afford Gerald Wallace and Darko; we could trade for AK47. Utah needs perimeter shooting and might take Turk, Garrity and Nelson. Looking at Darko vs. Lewis at the same age, Darko is better.I see stars all over the league traded before they became stars by impatient teams who did not appreciate the potential of what they had.
CARLOS MENDOZA

Encino, CA

#3 Jun 27, 2007
WHO ARE YOU TALKING TO? THE ARTICLE CANNOT HEAR YOU.

“I thought it was chocolate”

Since: Apr 07

Orlando, FL

#4 Jun 27, 2007
15 million/year for Lewis? That's a superstar salary. He's good, but I don't see him in the hall of fame.
WJS

United States

#5 Jun 27, 2007
Preach on brother whitley.
Dan George

Orlando, FL

#6 Jun 27, 2007
If Darko were in this draft as a 22 year old, he would go in the top 5. As stated, he's 22, can shoot, rebound and block and he is 7 feet tall. He has never had the opportunity to get consistant playing time in Detroit or Orlando under the great idiot Hill. He will be a great player if given half a chance.

Don't lose him, Otis!
Namor

El Paso, TX

#7 Jun 27, 2007
David, the last time I read your column was way back when you said something that jinxed the Magic. Remember what the people were saying about the Titanic, "Not even God could sink her"? And EVERYONE knows what happened to the Titanic, now don't we? What I'm trying to get through to you is this: Please don't involve God and end up jinxing the Magic (again). I'm actually quite content with the road the Magic are on right now, and I'd rather them stay on it than go downhill (again). Besides, God has enough problems as is without having some columnist compare, challenge, or involve him with a basketball team. One that he can easily strike down with lightning. Got my drift here?

Hoping for your cooperation.
I dont know

Easton, PA

#8 Jun 27, 2007
Rashard Lewis is the #1 FA prize out there...Chauncey isnt going anywhere, VC isnt going anywhere, and Gerald Wallace's game is not as complete as that of Rashard's. You want him, you need to shell out top dollar...Michael Jordan is enamoured with this kid and is prepared to open the checkbook to get him playing in Charlotte. Lewis will command a max contract...As for Darko, there is not a doubt in my mind that we'll resign him, anywhere from 8-10 mil a year...Now, that leaves us strapped for cash...so, this means we need to clear some cap...Hedo, Battie, Dooling, Arroyo, Garrity...all will be on the market. It's going to take creative financing but, I'm confident we'll get this done. Rashard and Darko it will be tough but, it's def. dueable.
Namor

El Paso, TX

#9 Jun 27, 2007
You guys are wondering why Rashard Lewis commands that price tag? The answer is -- V E R S A T I L I T Y. Although Lewis and Gerald Wallace have identical stats and both are slashers, the only real thing that sets them apart (besides Lewis 6'10" frame) is that Rashard can shoot 3's with consistency.
Jay

Sarasota, FL

#10 Jun 27, 2007
Lewis over Darko? This sounds to me like when we gave up Ben Wallace for Grant Hill! Why would you take Rashard over Darko? I dont know. Darko just turned 22 and Lewis is 27. How many games have Milicic missed because of injury? How many have Lewis? I'm not against the Magic signing Lewis I am just against him being a priority over Darko. How can you say Darko Milicic is inconsistent? He played under the shadow of 100 years old Tony Battie. Don't get me wrong Battie is a great role player but is he better than Darko? Brian Hill did the same thing to Darko that Larry Brown did. This is insane. How many 7 footers can you find in the nba with the skills Darko has? Probably 3 or 4 at max. How many 6'7" players can you find around the nba that you can compare with Lewis? Vince, Gerald , Gilbert, Kobe and so on. I hope Otis and Stan are smart enough to make the right decision here. If they don't I'll stop being a Magic fan.
mojo

Joplin, MO

#11 Jun 27, 2007
Bob Rockledge wrote:
I agree the New York above.
We could afford Gerald Wallace and Darko; we could trade for AK47. Utah needs perimeter shooting and might take Turk, Garrity and Nelson. Looking at Darko vs. Lewis at the same age, Darko is better.I see stars all over the league traded before they became stars by impatient teams who did not appreciate the potential of what they had.
totally agree.
Mike Kyle

Bradenton, FL

#12 Jun 27, 2007
Hope it doesn't happen. Go to espn.com . Look at player stats fg%. Darko had the highest fg% of anyone in the playoffs. Does anyone remember what Lewis was like at 22? What we need is a point guard. Jameer's near the bottom of the league for assists for starting pgs and I'm tired of opposing point guards having career nights everytime they come to Orlando.
Jon

Merritt Island, FL

#13 Jun 27, 2007
There is no way the Magic should let Darko go. He is a valuable player who will only help us in the future. He is 7 ft tall and 22 years old, enough said! Rashard Lewis is good but not worth that much money. Otis, I can't wait to see what you come up with. Just don't get rid of Darko, please!!
T-Rain

Westmont, IL

#14 Jun 27, 2007
I agree with most of the comments above. When you factor in salary and position, the Magic would be better keeping Darko at $7-8M per year, rather than Lewis at $11-13M per year.(Lewis is not a $15M per year player.) Lewis' main skill is scoring and outside shooting. Yes, Lewis would be a nice fit on the Magic, but his skills are more readily available than the skills that Darko possesses. Darko is potentially the perfect frontcourt complement to Dwight Howard. Darko hasn't shown consistency yet, but at the right price he's the preferred signing over Lewis at this point.

Now, if Lewis' salary demands drop to a more reasonable level (~$10M) and Darko's demands rise close to the same level, then it might be reasonable to go with the more proven commodity in Lewis. But assuming Darko's salary is significantly less that Lewis, I'd rather sign Darko and look to add scoring and shooting elsewhere.
Magic have issues

Jacksonville, FL

#15 Jun 27, 2007
Darko is horrible. He was horrible in Detroit (which is why he never played) and he has been worthless here in Orlando. Lewis would actually make the Magic better. Maybe they would even pose a threat to winning a playoff game.
Magic have issues

Jacksonville, FL

#16 Jun 27, 2007
JPK is a DB
tomas

Jacksonville, FL

#17 Jun 27, 2007
Keep Darko.

Reality says he just finished his rookie year. I donít know the answer to what numbers Lewis posted after his rookie year. Potential? Darko doesnít have to match the firepower of Lewis to be better than Lewis. Darko can block shots. Darko can pass beautifully. Darko can play excellent defense. Oh, yeah, Darko is 7 feet tall and can run the floor.

Add Lewis to Howard/Darko. Interesting.

Exchange Darko for Lewis. Bad move.
MARCUS FROM ORLANDO

Lakeland, FL

#18 Jun 27, 2007
SCREW DARKO, ITS GOOD AND ALL IF WE CAN SIGN HIM, BUT WE HAVE TO SIGN LEWIS UNLESS YOU WANNA SEE A REPEAT OF LAST SEASON. WE NEED A SCORERE WHO CAN STEP IT UP WHEN DWIGHT IS GETTING DOUBLED. AND LEWIS HAS BEEN CONSISTANT HIS WHOLE CARREER WITH 20 PLUS A GAME, WE NEED TO CLEAR ARE ROSTER AND GET RID OF HEDO,GARITY,ARROYO,DOOLING, WITH THE ESSINTAL BEING GETTING RID OF HEDO SINCE HIM AND LEWIS PLAY THE SAME POSITION AND HEDO BEING SO GOD DAM INCONSSISTANT.. MAGIC NEED TO STOP BEING CHEAP AND SHELL OUT THE BIG BUCKS SO WE CAN GET BACK TO THE GLORY DAYS OF SHAQ, REMEMBER WHAT HAPPEND LAST TIME WE LET THE MEDIA TRICK US INTO THINKING WERE PAYING PLAYERS TO MUCH AND IT SETS ARE TEAM AND CITY BACK 1O YEARS. IF WE WOULD OF NEVER GOT RID OF SHAQ WE WOULD HAVE ATLEAST 3 TITLES AND THIS CITY WOULD RIVAL OTHER MAJOR CITIES INSTEAD ORLANDO HAS TURNED INTO A SHIT HOLE WITH THE OLDEST AREAN IN THE LEAGUE AND ARE SORRY AS COUNTY COMMISONERS DONT WANNA SHELL OUT MONEY FOR AN AREANA. IF WE HAVE TO LIVE IN THIS CRIME RIDDLED CITY ATLEAST GIVE THE HONEST TAX PAYERS SOMETHING TO BE PROUD ABOUT IN ARE CITY BESIDES HOW OUT OF HAND ARE CRIME IS
Mike

Bethlehem, PA

#19 Jun 27, 2007
It's an absolute delight to read this article. 100% agree.
Mike

Bethlehem, PA

#20 Jun 27, 2007
And best case scenario, we keep them both. But getting Rashard Lewis is going to help this team in the long run than resigning Darko. Pretty much a fact.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grant Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Shelly Sterling agrees to sell Clippers to ex-M... (May '14) May '14 Eleanor 1
News Clippers sign 7-time All-Star Grant Hill (Jul '12) Jul '12 ClipperDj 2
News Phoenix Suns facing big decisions, looking for ... (Jun '12) Jun '12 CarverSucks 1
News No Rose, no problem for Bulls (Jan '12) Jan '12 NO WHITE GUILT 1
News UTEP Miner apologizes for tweet on gays (Jun '11) Jun '11 PreparationH 13
News Michelle Obama Promotes Fitness: First Lady Hos... (May '11) May '11 Jess0922 1
News COLLEGE BASKETBALL: Andy Enfield set for Div. I... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Jughead 3
More from around the web