Orlando Magic get last laugh when it ...

Orlando Magic get last laugh when it comes to Hill

There are 26 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from May 5, 2008, titled Orlando Magic get last laugh when it comes to Hill. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Somewhere, Grant Hill must be wondering where it all went wrong. He just made yet another exit in the first round of the playoffs, he may need surgery yet again and now he sits at home and watches his two ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Cocoa Beach Fan

Ocoee, FL

#1 May 5, 2008
Grant's a good guy, but he did suck the life out of this franchise for quite a few years.

The bottom line is Hedo would not of had the chance to play like he did this season if Grant would of stayed. All in all, Hedo has more skills than grant. He's a better passer, better scorer and a better rebounder.

Enough of Grant Hill, so go out and win game two.
Bob

Powder Springs, GA

#2 May 5, 2008
Given a choice, I'd like to see McGrady come back an play in Orlando as the 2 guard. I know he likes the Orlando area. Do you think he play for the mid level exception?
Harv

Clearwater, FL

#3 May 5, 2008
You make your oun bed-you sleep in.
Mr Toad

Westport, CT

#4 May 5, 2008
McGrady would have stunted the growth of Dwight had he stayed. He would be the man and there would be no inside out game. All Dwight would get would be points off of rebounds. McGrady is a black hole when it comes to the ball and he is a loser. He also would not take mid level to come. His pride and ego are too huge...
Bill

Orlando, FL

#5 May 5, 2008
If McGrady and Hill were here and playing we would have never got the number one pick that year and would have never got Dwight Howard. So in the long run we are better off that they are not here.
RickyBlaque

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#6 May 5, 2008
Things happen for the best sometimes. Fans could not see it at the time but Grant Hill was just a good guy who couldn't close the deal. He was no Jordan but maybe a post Jordan, Pippen in the end. Tracey McGrady was an ingrate and a quitter. Its hard to feel sorry for him. That's Karma.
MAGICFAN2000

Lake Mary, FL

#7 May 5, 2008
I've got no love for G. Hill after bailing on us. Sure he's a first class guy as far as charities and children's books, but he showed absolutely no loyalty to Orlando.
Ya he's been dealt a bad hand, but the hand still won him a pot of over a hundred million. You won't find anyone in Orlando sympathizing about his never-ending medical problems, after getting that kind of money. My advise Grant is retire write books and enjoy our money. Ce La Vie

“Are You Kidding Me? SHAQ left?”

Since: Feb 08

Orlando[Alt.Springs]-Houston

#8 May 5, 2008
MAGICFAN2000 wrote:
I've got no love for G. Hill after bailing on us. Sure he's a first class guy as far as charities and children's books, but he showed absolutely no loyalty to Orlando.
Ya he's been dealt a bad hand, but the hand still won him a pot of over a hundred million. You won't find anyone in Orlando sympathizing about his never-ending medical problems, after getting that kind of money. My advise Grant is retire write books and enjoy our money. Ce La Vie
Amen to that!!
chris

Cocoa, FL

#9 May 5, 2008
Hill didnt '' bolt out of orlando'' on his first opportunity, he was here for 6 years, and why are writers STILL writing about what he did and didnt do in orlando? We get it $93mil and left to the suns, ok. It wasnt like he tried to win with us, 7 years of surgery and still in the NBA is a pretty strong will
Will

Storrs Mansfield, CT

#10 May 5, 2008
I have to disagree with this article. His presence did symbolize the resurgence of the Pistons. Following one of the worst seasons in Detroit history in 1993-1994, when Detroit won only 20 games, they drafted Grant Hill in the offseason. In his first season as a Piston, Hill won co-rookie Rookie of the Year honors, and was the first athlete in all of major sports to lead the league in all-star voting as rookie. Hill was one of the best all around players in the league for the next 6 years, producing averages of 22 ppg, 8 rebounds, and over 6 assists, often leading the team in the three categories. In the 1999-2000 season, Hill averaged 25.8 ppg and finished third in the league in scoring and MVP voting. He played in 95% of the Pistons games over the 6 year span. Following the .224 win percentage of 1993-1994, the win percentages of the next six years were as follows: .341, .561, .659, .451, .580, .512. He singlehandedly led Detroit to the playoffs in 4 of his 6 years with the team. The fact that he failed to win a playoff series was more of a reflection of the Pistonís poor management than Hillís play. During the his stint with the Pistons, they traded Dennis Rodman for an aging Sean Elliot, lost Allen Houston, and signed free-agent jokes like Christian Laettner. In the first year of Hillís absence, Detroit went a miserable 30-52. Their resurgence can be linked to firing of coach George Irvine for Rick Carlisle, the emergence of Ben Wallace as a premier defender, and the acquisitions of Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton, and the signing of Tayshaun Prince. Detroit grew to elite status with the coaching change of Carlisle for Larry Brown, and the acquisition of Rasheed Wallace. Surrounding proven winners with young talent is a recipe for success, something that they failed to do during the Grant Hill era. The combination of Bison Dele and coach George Irvine donít quite compare to the likes of Rasheed Wallace and Larry Brown. Hillís departure was followed by a serious of unfortunate injuries and subsequent surgeries to his left ankle. Many players would have folded having been through the struggles Hill endured (6 surgeries, and a scare in which he nearly lost his life), but Hill fought back when most other players would not. And yet many call him fragile. His move to Phoenix made sense: Phoenixís playing style was conducive to Hillís ability as a scorer and role player, and he brought needed defensive talent to a team that lacked it. He also liked the idea of playing alongside 2-time MVP Steve Nash and the opportunity to win a championship. His time in Orlando was simply unlucky. The team suffered as a result of his injury and money lost, but I highly doubt anyone has ever called Hill greedy. So go ahead and laugh along with Magic fans. They should be thankful for their grown superstar Dwight Howard and the improved play of Turkoglu, and treat Hill will the same respect he has given to the organization and the league.
Fernando

Ocala, FL

#11 May 5, 2008
This is a masterpiece, your comments hit the nail right in the head. Amen Brother!
Scott

United States

#12 May 5, 2008
T-Mac, Come back home to Orlando and help us win a championship. That hockey guy is gone and that high school kid turned out alright :-) Maybe we can even see about trading for Mike Miller like old times. We like shooting 3-pointers now.
dee

El Paso, TX

#13 May 5, 2008
well scott i dont many of us care to see him comeback. mike miller heck i would to see him come back. but i gotta say it sucks the be grant hill. i think they did better with out shaq. its like bring a sloth to play with ceatahs he's just wanna get killed quickly.
Kevin

Saint Louis, MO

#14 May 6, 2008
Grant Hill repeatedly sacrificed his health to give everything he could to Orlando, playing injured for his entire time there. If you're unhappy with the money he got, then complain about the people who gave it to him despite the knowledge that he was injured when they signed him in the first place.

Bianchi, after reading this article, I don't really think you're worth your paycheck if it is anything higher than minimum wage. Regardless, I won't relish your misfortunes. Maybe you can use your paycheck from this newspaper to buy some class.
Billy Dat

Calverton, NY

#15 May 6, 2008
What a mean spirited article full of backhanded compliments and undeserved slams. How anyone could laugh at Grant Hill's injury track record is beyond me. If Hill had signed for the minimum contract and gotten hurt midway through the season, you would have written the same article. What a hack....why don't you break a sweat next time and give us something a little more thought out and nuanced. Here's a good headline for your next piece, "Stan Van Gundy wears Shoulder Pads".
Matt R

Middle Island, NY

#16 May 6, 2008
As a Magic fan, it embarrasses me to read drivel like this. Bianchi writes this article with the maturity of a 4 year-old.

Grant Hill turned out to be a terrible signing for us, but who cares about it when we are in the 2nd round of the playoffs?

And enough of this ridiculous "loyalty" garbage; as a free agent, Hill has every right to go wherever he chooses. Do you see teams giving a ton of money to aging stars who can't contribute anything, just because they were great players earlier in their careers? If you are looking to sports for loyalty, you are looking in the wrong place - sports is a business. Stop taking it too seriously.
Lindy 888

Lake Worth, FL

#17 May 6, 2008
How any writer (you can't be a sportswriter) could cut down a guy who busted his butt, I'm sure he tried to play in pain. Grant Hill is a firt class human, as well as basketball player. Maybe you should bread 10 fingers,then keep up your column by yourself. Crazy people in this world!!!!!
Brain

AOL

#18 May 6, 2008
Uh...he is no Pippen either...look at how compettitive some of those Bulls teams were without Michael Jordan...in a much tougher Eastern Conference. ANd look at what Detroit did immediatley after Grant left...was the talent that much different...or was Detroit now able to rely on someone with the toughness to win playoff games...they guy HAS NEVER WON A PLAYOFF series..that says it all folks...but because he is articulate people tread cautiously when critiquing him..not me....plenty of hype....little intestinal fortitude
Lindy 888

Lake Worth, FL

#19 May 6, 2008
Hes
Brain wrote:
Uh...he is no Pippen either...look at how compettitive some of those Bulls teams were without Michael Jordan...in a much tougher Eastern Conleft...was the talent that much different...or was Detroit now able to rely on someone with the toughness to win playoff games...they guy HAS NEVER WOference. ANd look at what Detroit did immediatley after Grant N A PLAYOFF series..that says it all folks...but because he is articulate people tread cautiously when critiquing him..not me....plenty of hype....little intestinal fortitude
Lindy 888

Lake Worth, FL

#20 May 6, 2008
UH....explain how you come up with that assessment. Please be articulate

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grant Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Shelly Sterling agrees to sell Clippers to ex-M... (May '14) May '14 Eleanor 1
News Clippers sign 7-time All-Star Grant Hill (Jul '12) Jul '12 ClipperDj 2
News Phoenix Suns facing big decisions, looking for ... (Jun '12) Jun '12 CarverSucks 1
News No Rose, no problem for Bulls (Jan '12) Jan '12 NO WHITE GUILT 1
News UTEP Miner apologizes for tweet on gays (Jun '11) Jun '11 PreparationH 13
News Michelle Obama Promotes Fitness: First Lady Hos... (May '11) May '11 Jess0922 1
News COLLEGE BASKETBALL: Andy Enfield set for Div. I... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Jughead 3
More from around the web