Fans are the victims -- OrlandoSentin...

Fans are the victims -- OrlandoSentinel.com

There are 19 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jul 9, 2007, titled Fans are the victims -- OrlandoSentinel.com. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

It's sad, but not surprising, that Grant Hill has chosen to leave the Orlando Magic basketball team for what he hopes will be a championship run with the Phoenix Suns.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#1 Jul 9, 2007
I don't feel like a victim at all.

It is, without doubt, disappointing when you see a player whom you are a fan of leave your team for another. But in any other walk of life, the individual has the right to make decisions based on what is best for their career - why should this be any different for sports people?

Grant Hill made the right choice for himself, and fair play to him. I certainly hold no ill will towards him for it, and wish him all the best.
PeeWee Herman

Okeechobee, FL

#2 Jul 9, 2007
It is my hope that Mr. Hill will enjoy the twilight years of his career playing for competent owners in Phoenix instead of what he would have had to suffer with here--the moronically meandering Magic management morass.
typical forum poster

Los Angeles, CA

#4 Jul 9, 2007
more whining from the slantinal.. somebody call the whaaaambulance for this writer.
Redogg

Orlando, FL

#5 Jul 9, 2007
This is a worthless editorial. Who cares how much the lousy Magic paid a guy who hardly ever played and who cares if he goes to another team or not? What bothers me is that the Magic want a new arena and want taxpayers to pay for it. If they've got $93 million to throw at a useless player, then why don't they have $93 million more to pay for their own arena?
Crusader Rabbit

Orlando, FL

#6 Jul 9, 2007
The aquisition of Grant Hill was akin to paying millions for a race horse with a broken leg. It hobbled he team financially for years and produced not great results even after he began to play limited minutes. Grant, I am most assured is a fine gentlelman, well liked, etc. and might make a good front office addition as an advisor or coach but I doubt seriouisly if the Suns will get much playing time out of him any more than we did. We basically just financed his medical bills while unable to pay for the real able talent that money could have brought in if it hadn't been showered upon the convalescing Hill.
Black Morpheus

Mount Dora, FL

#7 Jul 9, 2007
Gee , for 10 million You could almost build a 15,000 seat basketball Stadium anywhere in the US.

Then use the other 83 million for Ice Cream.

Are you watching , D&C ?
Digs

Maitland, FL

#8 Jul 9, 2007
Hooray--time heals all wounds

$90 mill freed up...it seemed like an eternity

Never sign someone on crutches
Bye Grant

Orlando, FL

#9 Jul 9, 2007
Where in the hell did Grant Hill thnk he had a right to exercise the clause in his contract that said that after playing for 5 years, he could waive the remaining 2 years & go play for another team if he so chose?

Uh, oh, yeah, that aforementioned leagally binding contract that it seems had nothing like a loyalty clause in it that he & the Magic brass signed a few years ago.
Troof

Lake Mary, FL

#11 Jul 9, 2007
Let the Magic move. Get rid of this cancer.
doug

Bonita Springs, FL

#12 Jul 9, 2007
hey lets find another all star witha career ending injury and sighn him up for several million $$$. Yes we have great mangment and ownership here in Orlando trade players like Shaq and pick up bargain basement players who may or may not ever play. This and the lamos who now have all the season seat are why i no longer wate my time or money on majic games. The last game i went to there where as many poeple there in the other team shirts and when you try and get amped up to get the team playing the family oriented types take offense to cheering the home team on. Screw the majic i am waiting for pro football oh and to the idiots who decide which games we see here we are BUCs fans not jags fans and if given a choice between MIami and the Jags MIami is the team i want to see.
doug

Bonita Springs, FL

#13 Jul 9, 2007
Digs wrote:
Hooray--time heals all wounds
$90 mill freed up...it seemed like an eternity
Never sign someone on crutches
you would think that would be a no brainer bu twe are talking about the majic.
matt

Casselberry, FL

#14 Jul 9, 2007
And we should build a new home for these "loyal" members of our community?? What say thee Sentinel?
BuckStripes

AOL

#15 Jul 9, 2007
FANS ARE THE VICTIMS...
Baloney! The Press (everywhere) keeps telling US that professional sports are a business...
Until the mouthy hackers get their girdles twisted about something they don't like--and all of a sudden they start screaming about loyalty...
What loyalty? Billionaire owners and zillionaire ball-players don't spell loyalty. They spell ReallyBigFookenBusiness...
Sentinel sportifs oughta quit tryng to scapegoat Grant Hill for their own problems in the newsroom and in their homes. It's old, and getting older...

“Dare to be stupid!”

Since: Dec 06

Groveland, Florida

#16 Jul 9, 2007
Magic still stink
Stepheno3

Orlando, FL

#17 Jul 10, 2007
$ 465,000 per game played in Orlando. He played perhaps 30 minutes at the most in each game, that comes down to $15,500 per minute! How any people make that in this town? I am glad that he is gone! The worst siging in NBA history!
Stepheno3

Orlando, FL

#18 Jul 10, 2007
Bye Grant wrote:
Where in the hell did Grant Hill thnk he had a right to exercise the clause in his contract that said that after playing for 5 years, he could waive the remaining 2 years & go play for another team if he so chose?
Uh, oh, yeah, that aforementioned leagally binding contract that it seems had nothing like a loyalty clause in it that he & the Magic brass signed a few years ago.
The contract was signed by J. Grabil(sp) what do you expect! He signed a guy on crutches to a no out contract for the Magic if he did not play!
Stepheno3

Orlando, FL

#19 Jul 10, 2007
matt wrote:
And we should build a new home for these "loyal" members of our community?? What say thee Sentinel?
I hope they never build that arena: Let them go to Kansas City!
fOrReAlMaGiCfAn

Oviedo, FL

#20 Jul 10, 2007
He will be missed, but he doesn't owe us anything. This is a risk you take with any player. I just kinda thought he would stay.
fOrReAlMaGiCfAn

Oviedo, FL

#21 Jul 10, 2007
Stepheno3 wrote:
<quoted text>I hope they never build that arena: Let them go to Kansas City!
They don't need to go to Kansas City or anyother place than staying in Orlando!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grant Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Shelly Sterling agrees to sell Clippers to ex-M... (May '14) May '14 Eleanor 1
News Clippers sign 7-time All-Star Grant Hill (Jul '12) Jul '12 ClipperDj 2
News Phoenix Suns facing big decisions, looking for ... (Jun '12) Jun '12 CarverSucks 1
News No Rose, no problem for Bulls (Jan '12) Jan '12 NO WHITE GUILT 1
News UTEP Miner apologizes for tweet on gays (Jun '11) Jun '11 PreparationH 13
News Michelle Obama Promotes Fitness: First Lady Hos... (May '11) May '11 Jess0922 1
News COLLEGE BASKETBALL: Andy Enfield set for Div. I... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Jughead 3
More from around the web