Today's the day for Magic to sign Lew...

Today's the day for Magic to sign Lewis -- OrlandoSentinel.com

There are 84 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jul 11, 2007, titled Today's the day for Magic to sign Lewis -- OrlandoSentinel.com. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

The Orlando Magic have identified their core group of players -- small forward Rashard Lewis, center Dwight Howard and point guard Jameer Nelson -- and it no longer includes power forward Darko Milicic.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
jackson

Henderson, NV

#1 Jul 11, 2007
What are the magic going to do about the SG position?
newjerseymagic

Stamford, CT

#2 Jul 11, 2007
jackson wrote:
They will use JJ, Keyon, or Bogans. JJ's summer league is impressing so I think he will probably get the nod. That gives the Magic four 3-point threats on the floor (Nelson, being the weakest threat) with Howard inthe middle.
Wee

Orlando, FL

#3 Jul 11, 2007
The Magic are stuck on stupid (SOS)
Evan

Orlando, FL

#4 Jul 11, 2007
Wow. This organization is a joke. Signing Nelson to a multi-year deal is a priority?

Well Good Luck defending these move's when we're struggling to make the playoff's next year. So Otis' big moves amount to signing a scorer, losing a big man, and resigning a subpar PG. Whoopty Freakin Do.
Reality is Truth

Tallahassee, FL

#5 Jul 11, 2007
JJ unproven star in college and a summer league not NBA. PG got turned to shooting guard nothing more than a 7,8 option not even a 6th man. Bogans a short small forward who we like always OVERPAID for. You all talk about Nelson I like him at the point its the 2 spot like Jackson that worries me if Darko wants to stay let him stay if not oh well Otis find us a 2 make me happy do a sign and trade for Wallace so we can have a 2. Get somebody that play 2 or let Ariza start.
Reality is Truth

Tallahassee, FL

#6 Jul 11, 2007
pg comment was about Dooling
wondering

El Paso, TX

#7 Jul 11, 2007
Mr. Schmitz doesn't have his facts straight. Acccording to Fl. TOday it will be a sign and trade deal for 6 years. Which raises the question, who will rebound when they put 2 bodies to box out Dwight? How do you let a 21 y.o. 7 footer with skills leave for nothing??????????

Once again expect the Slantinel writers to be mum on this topic or give 100% backing to management, as they did with the Shaq fiasco. Until we get a new owner, nothing changes.
DFC

Apopka, FL

#8 Jul 11, 2007
jackson wrote:
What about Hedo....any idea whether or not he will resign...he is a free agent, too, right?

I would personally rather have Arrtest. I hope there was some truth to that deal...
Cocoa Beach Fan

United States

#9 Jul 11, 2007
Otis is starting to scare me! Does he really know what he's doing? Are we going to lose Darko, and get nothing in return? How does that help the team? I'm stoked about signing Lewis, but man, are we really that much better of a team? Is Augustine or the Polish kid going to be able step up and play a larger role on team? If you think about it, Augustine really has only "Mop Up" experience. This team needs another big! I have to be honest, I'm disapointed we are not going to hold onto Darko, and to lose him for nothing....Like I said, Otis is starting to worry me! Oh yeah, in my opinion, Grant Hill owed the Magic and their fans to come back at least for one year for the minimum.
BoricuaMagic

Plano, TX

#10 Jul 11, 2007
I have to beliveve there are plans to get a productive "big" to replace Darko. Otherwise, Otis really messed this up. Oh, and by the way, Deshawn Stevenson can't come to an agreement with the Wizards. He's not by any means a great SG but he's better and more rounded (specially defensively) than any SG on our roster. Let's go get him!!!!
....just a thought!
ron

Fort Myers, FL

#11 Jul 11, 2007
if smith is anchoring the team for the future he's misguided in thinking jameer nelson is the point guard for that bill. he may have energy but he has no vision or control. think again otis
Tre

Omaha, NE

#12 Jul 11, 2007
DFC-Hedo is under contract for a few more years at around $6.5/yr.

Cocoa-It sux having Darko leave for nothing, when we gave up a 1st round pick for him, but considering Darko averaged like 8 pts and 5 rbs a game, i think Augustine and Gortat both could average that together. Plus they play for a lot less and gives another 6 fouls that could be used. And for the people saying sign and trade for Wallace, what do we have that Charlotte would want? As for Bogans, i think the Magic got him to replace the defense Stevenson gave them. there are serviceable bigmen out there that can get us 8 pts 5 rebs a game, Otis just has to earn his salary and find them.$10 mil a year for those stats is just too much.
Iyan

Puerto Rico

#13 Jul 11, 2007
I think that Jameer Nelson is still a question mark. He had an off year last year but everyone is quick to forget how well he played after Francis was traded away. If he can play like that and doesnt get overpayed then i can forgive Otis for letting Darko go. Also, if Otis can clear the cap space in the sign and trade for Lewis that was originally meant to resign Darko, the Magic might be a longshot to sign Varejao, but if not i think they can be players for veteran reliable big men such as Miki Moore or Joe Smith that will certainly help Orlando's depth in the paint. We can also hope the the good play of Agustin and Gortat in the summer league can mean something for the Magic come the regular season
Charlie

Clarksville, IA

#14 Jul 11, 2007
Will there be a picture of a big celebration of the signing? Like the celebration of Jones High going from an F school to a D school. Same kind of deal. The pride of Orlando.
Otis Smith is Great sw

Howey In The Hills, FL

#15 Jul 11, 2007
I don't know how the sentinel is not trashing this guy for how he handled the darko situation. Not talking to him or his agent until it was to late is grounds for firing. It is time for him to go. Hopefully before he signs Nelson to a long term deal. Anyone ever heard of the peter principle?
TimSkinner

Winter Springs, FL

#16 Jul 11, 2007
It's a mistake to extend Jameer Nelson at this point. He still needs to prove himself as a legitimate starting point in this league - without a doubt.

Darko's agent is an ass. Though having said that, the Magic have let an asset (Darko) walk without any compensation - which is also a mistake.

Very glad to have Rashard, but we should have been able to orchestrate something in return for losing a former #2 selection, which essentially was our 15th pick this year.

Hopefully, Otis Smith has a quality big man in mind to replace Darko in the lineup. We are very thin up front now.
The Truth

Miami, FL

#17 Jul 11, 2007
Can someone start a website called: fireotissmith.com , I think it would get some hits...
Steven

United States

#18 Jul 11, 2007
I'm ok with the Darko Drama. I wanted him back bad, but I unlike most on this board realize Otis did the only thing he could do to improve this team. What I just found out is very upsetting though. I heard the magic DID pull off a sign and trade with the Sonics, but here is the kicker. The magic are sending just a second round pick back?? What???? The only reason to sign and trade was to clear cap space and get rid of unwated players like Arroyo or garity so that you could offer their money to Darko or anybody avail
that warents more than the MLE. But if the info is correct and they really did this sign and trade to give Rashard 120 mil instead of 90 mil, then this is the dumbest move ever. If they do a sign and trade
and do not get back a great rebounder or cap space, Otils should be fired.

Since: Jun 07

New York, NY

#19 Jul 11, 2007
if your going to keep nelson, against everyone's wishes by the way, you have to start someone like ariza at the SG position, he's a great athlete, and doesn't have to switch off the other team's main scorer with nelson alot, he can stick his man, because lets face it, if jameer switches off to guard another team's 2, then that's basically an open shot all day. the pg position is growing, most of the great pg's out there are around 6'3, nash/hinrich/billips, we should seriously look into finding a taller starting pg, and not just an arroyo, you should even start dooling there, great athlete, and can defensively switch off with a 2 position, if necessary, apparently he averages half the assists that nelson averages playing 1/4 less time on the floor, plus he has that intensity. nelson is a great player, him and jj can come off the bench and probably add another 30 points to any game. btw, darko's agent is a tool, probably another overpaid underachiever that also riddle the magic's nepotism club, i mean management, great business move devos, your son in law in charge of a basketball team. it's probably how we lost ben wallace and maggette and kept people like danny schayes and andrew declerq, are you serious? and i know deshawn stevenson has dreadlocks, oooOOOooo, but send garrity and bogans and try to get him back. if not, send the veteran tony battie, because they need at least one older guy on their squad, bogans and garrity, sign and trade for wallace, and straight up trade for brezec... oh do they want bo too? cause we're sending him whether they want him or not. believe me,next to a beast like dwight, another semi talented big guy can average what darko was averaging very easily, bring on the next tall european, go primo? shake things up some more.
What happened

United States

#20 Jul 11, 2007
I thought the deal for Lewis was at 5 years 75 million. Now we are going to give the guy over 100 million? How does this make sense?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grant Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Shelly Sterling agrees to sell Clippers to ex-M... (May '14) May '14 Eleanor 1
News Clippers sign 7-time All-Star Grant Hill (Jul '12) Jul '12 ClipperDj 2
News Phoenix Suns facing big decisions, looking for ... (Jun '12) Jun '12 CarverSucks 1
News No Rose, no problem for Bulls (Jan '12) Jan '12 NO WHITE GUILT 1
News UTEP Miner apologizes for tweet on gays (Jun '11) Jun '11 PreparationH 13
News Michelle Obama Promotes Fitness: First Lady Hos... (May '11) May '11 Jess0922 1
News COLLEGE BASKETBALL: Andy Enfield set for Div. I... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Jughead 3
More from around the web