Howard shows heart and hustle in the ...

Howard shows heart and hustle in the paint

There are 16 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Dec 31, 2007, titled Howard shows heart and hustle in the paint. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

After Saturday night's victory against the Charlotte Bobcats, Dwight Howard was clowning around in the dressing room, doing his impersonation of Shaquille O'Neal. His measured monotone cracks up teammates as ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Tarfa

United States

#1 Dec 31, 2007
Magic need more muscle in the paint. Foyle or Augustine is a perfect fit, Augustine's style of playing defense allow Howard to roam the paint and get more block shoot and rebound. Augustine do not need the ball to be effective,does not need to score and if he does it's a bonus.
This team is so deep, we can go big or small and i dont see why we can't finish the season with 50 plus win.
The perfect big line up will be Howard(c),Augustine(pf),Lewis( sf),Turkeylou(sg),Aroyo(pg).
Small line up will be Howard(c),Lewis(sf),Turkeylou( sf),Bogan(sg),Nelson(pg).
When are we going to see Marcin Gortat play, just few minute in the garbage time.
lET'S GO MAGIC. BEAT THE BULL.
c2uk

Wisbech, UK

#2 Dec 31, 2007
Tarfa wrote:
Magic need more muscle in the paint. Foyle or Augustine is a perfect fit, Augustine's style of playing defense allow Howard to roam the paint and get more block shoot and rebound. Augustine do not need the ball to be effective,does not need to score and if he does it's a bonus.
This team is so deep, we can go big or small and i dont see why we can't finish the season with 50 plus win.
The perfect big line up will be Howard(c),Augustine(pf),Lewis( sf),Turkeylou(sg),Aroyo(pg).
Small line up will be Howard(c),Lewis(sf),Turkeylou( sf),Bogan(sg),Nelson(pg).
When are we going to see Marcin Gortat play, just few minute in the garbage time.
lET'S GO MAGIC. BEAT THE BULL.
Turkeylou, lol, never seen him spelled like this before (don't take it personal though!)
While Augustine/Foyle would be all right on the defensive end, Dwight needs a big that can shoot from outside next to him on the offensive end (Battie or Darko could've been), otherwise he's getting doubled all the time.
Rebel

Winter Haven, FL

#3 Dec 31, 2007
Tarfa

I agree with you....Augustine in the lineup wood be a plus!

He can score...he's just deferring to everyone else right now.

We are indeed fortunate to have DH
Ewing is really pushing him....great!
Luke

Spain

#4 Dec 31, 2007
I'm not sure that changes are always good (look at the best teams, they're at the top of the NBA 'cause they know each other very well, playing together for long time as the Pistons, Mavs, and Spurs), but I think that we need more help in the PG position, and I would absolutely try that one (if GM Stefansky agree, for sure)

Expiring contracts of Arroyo and Garrity (and probably need to add a draft pick) for Andre Miller.

Yeah, I know, seems impossible, but 76ers just trade Korver for Giricek + 1 protected pick, that make no sense right now, they are still in a reconstruction mode and trying to make cap space for next summer.

They'll have a decent PG to finish the season (to all the Arroyo's fans, I'm putting him in the trade only 'cause the big contract of JN wouldn't be interesting for the 76's) and two expiring contracts that free almost 9 million dollars for next year free agency.

Orlando get 1 1/2 years of a brilliant and experienced PG (16 p 7 a 2,5 to in a bad offensive team, would be 10 p 10 a 2 to with DH, RL and HT). Heís 6í2Ē, could involve the teammates and defend little better than JN or CA.
With his contract expiring in summer 2009 at the age of 33, we could re-sign him for less money, or maybe Nelson improves in this time as a backup and would be definitely our starting PG.

This would be a boost this year for make a good trip (and getting some -very important- experience) in the playoffs, and with Battie back next year, I think we would be in a very good position to make something special.
Postdata

Olla, LA

#5 Dec 31, 2007
Dwight Howard has the toughness of Wilt Chamberlain, and the quickness and atletism of Akeem. Right now he is almost unstopable; if he can learn to shoot the mid-jumper like Patrick Ewing used to do it, he will eat everybody for breakfast. What a terrific player. Best of all, he is humble, a good kid, and has the fire and the desire to learn more. I hope he has a long and prosper career in a Magic uniform.

Since: Dec 07

Philippines

#6 Dec 31, 2007
@Luke: nice suggestion there, I also like Andre Miller to be on this team. De may be a little old, but he's a good passer (I read an article within the last two years that he was the 3rd best assist-maker behind only Nash and Kidd). This team has LOTS of scoring options, and adding a good passer would be ideal. It would be hateful to give up someone like CA or JN, but sometimes you have to make sacrifices...

Since: Dec 07

Philippines

#7 Dec 31, 2007
This franchise is very, very lucky to have been able to draft someone like Dwight... I hope that the Magic management do everything they can to make him happy so he won't bolt to other teams like Shaq did... :-)
Steve

Richardson, TX

#8 Dec 31, 2007
Dwight is signed to 2011, so I don't think we have any worries about him leaving. He isn't looking to do rapping or terrible movies either, his whole focus is to become the best player he can, and for that reason I think he has a chance to be even better than Shaq. Just don't tell Shaq that.
rico4ever

Blackstock, SC

#9 Dec 31, 2007
Magic only need to go 29-21 in the remaining 50 games for them to reach the 50-W plateau. If Howard stays healthy, I'm sure you'll agree they can do better than 50-Ws. The Magic are one of the NBA's elite teams right now, and they can ride Howard's shoulders past the first round of the playoffs. If Otis does pull the trigger on another trade, look for JJ and Cook to go as part of any deal. SVG has banished them to the bench. We could get a good backup PG or power forward with experience for the two of them who can come off the bench and give quality minutes. Heck, throw in Garrity too. Three for one trade. I'm sure there are teams out there that'll take the bait. However, Jameer will mature in a quality starter for the Magic, and we have seen that CA is a capable contributor.

“Life's a Beach”

Since: Dec 07

Cocoa Beach

#10 Dec 31, 2007
Like I mentioned yesterday, we have to give a little bit of love to the Hockey Guy (Weisbrod). Many of us couldn't believe he took a high school kid and not Emeka Okafor, the College Player of the year as the #1 pick in the draft!

We all know that not all of the Magic management's decisions have been this good, but selecting Dwight was key to keeping this franchise in Orlando and our community getting a new arena!

Let's hope the OTHER College Player of the year, Jameer Nelson can get his mind and game back on track!

Go Magic!

“He shoot a 61.”

Since: Oct 07

Winter Park

#11 Dec 31, 2007
Cocoa Beach Fan wrote:
Like I mentioned yesterday, we have to give a little bit of love to the Hockey Guy (Weisbrod). Many of us couldn't believe he took a high school kid and not Emeka Okafor, the College Player of the year as the #1 pick in the draft!
We all know that not all of the Magic management's decisions have been this good, but selecting Dwight was key to keeping this franchise in Orlando and our community getting a new arena!
Let's hope the OTHER College Player of the year, Jameer Nelson can get his mind and game back on track!
Go Magic!
Yep he did good! and dont forget he also got Turk and did not pay him 110 Million.
2sense

AOL

#12 Dec 31, 2007
... and the OTHER college Player of the Year gets a chance to prove himself...JJ needs PT
No Bandwagonn

Satellite Beach, FL

#13 Dec 31, 2007
2sense wrote:
... and the OTHER college Player of the Year gets a chance to prove himself...JJ needs PT
JJ was amazing in college. Everytime he gets in the game his defense kills us. He tries but compared to most of the players in the NBA he is SLOW of foot. When he got in the game against the Bobcats it was almost sad to watch him play D. Andre Miller would be great.

I would like to thank t-Mac for being such a selfish player in '03. He stunk the team stunk so we got Dwight!!!!!!!!!! Good call Otis!!
el boricua

Bayamon, Puerto Rico

#14 Dec 31, 2007
Howard is the most important player of this team but for the management (money) standpoint Arroyo is supposed to be the second most important player of this team. The reason for that is that we need to consider the big Puerto Rican population living at the Orlando area. I am sure they will follow this team (donít matter if they win or lost games) if Arroyo gets consisting minutes.
el boricua

Bayamon, Puerto Rico

#15 Dec 31, 2007
I mean constant not consisting.
John North Port

Terra Ceia, FL

#16 Dec 31, 2007
This is really the bottom line.
Most of the posts by Puerto Rican people could care less about the team winning. When JN plays bad they are out in force. When he has a strong game they disappear. He is banged up, this has affected his game. Get off his back. And I believe CA would agree because he seems to be a good guy and a professional. Can any of you people remember all the good games JN had when he was healthy. And what happened to the old standard, Yiu won't lose your job due to injury.
Go Magic
el boricua wrote:
Howard is the most important player of this team but for the management (money) standpoint Arroyo is supposed to be the second most important player of this team. The reason for that is that we need to consider the big Puerto Rican population living at the Orlando area. I am sure they will follow this team (donít matter if they win or lost games) if Arroyo gets consisting minutes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Emeka Okafor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hornets' guard Chris Paul says he's focused on ... (Dec '11) Dec '11 migs 1
News Hornets blast Blazers, remain lone unbeaten (Nov '10) Nov '10 Anon 1
News Tracy McGrady's selfishness paved the way for M... (Apr '09) Apr '09 Tiffany 32
News Scouting report: Bobcats at Magic (Apr '09) Apr '09 Jeff 2
News Tracy McGrady's selfishness paved the way for M... (Apr '09) Apr '09 Rockets Fan 1
News D'Antoni disappointed with effort in loss (Mar '09) Mar '09 made up 1
News BIANCHI: Dwight Howard is the best player to st... (Feb '09) Feb '09 The Living Tribunal 14
More from around the web