Reaching Out -- Courant.com

Reaching Out -- Courant.com

There are 3 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Sep 11, 2007, titled Reaching Out -- Courant.com. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Emeka Okafor is a first generation Nigerian-American. As such, and having traveled to his family's homeland twice, he knows a great deal about Africa, its history, its people and its problems.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

Backpacking Granny

Morris, CT

#2 Sep 11, 2007
I highly commend and respect Emeka Okafor for the great work he is doing in Africa. I totally understand his statement:
"You come to Africa and see what true poverty looks like at
its worst. No running water, 15 families sharing one
bathroom, those kinds of things. It messes with your head."
But, one does not have to be a famous person like Okafor or Oprah or Bill Gates to do something for the plight of the people in Africa. One person can make a difference. Nobody makes a bigger mistake than (s)he who did nothing because (s)he could only do a little. These words gave me the courage to build a school in Ghana which I am working on little by little. Marla (the Backpackin' Granny) See my website for more information: www.brightstarvision.org
Backpacking Granny

Morris, CT

#3 Sep 11, 2007
I am actually from West Hartford, CT, not Prospect. You can e-mail me at backpackingranny@yahoo.com
mother of three

United States

#4 Sep 11, 2007
Emeka Okafor is one of the finest role models young people can have. He is the young man every mother wants her sons to become. I greatly respect his work ethic, compassion and integrity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Emeka Okafor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hornets' guard Chris Paul says he's focused on ... (Dec '11) Dec '11 migs 1
News Hornets blast Blazers, remain lone unbeaten (Nov '10) Nov '10 Anon 1
News Tracy McGrady's selfishness paved the way for M... (Apr '09) Apr '09 Tiffany 32
News Scouting report: Bobcats at Magic (Apr '09) Apr '09 Jeff 2
News Tracy McGrady's selfishness paved the way for M... (Apr '09) Apr '09 Rockets Fan 1
News D'Antoni disappointed with effort in loss (Mar '09) Mar '09 made up 1
News BIANCHI: Dwight Howard is the best player to st... (Feb '09) Feb '09 The Living Tribunal 14
More from around the web