DILBECK: Brand can't be called the villain of this drama

Put down the torch. There's disappointment, some outrage, even. I get that. Elton Brand was more than the face of the Clippers, he was an island of stability. Full Story
Alex

Anaheim, CA

#1 Jul 10, 2008
You don't get it Dilbeck. If he changed his mind then he should have come straight out and said it. He didn't have to slam the organization and, i can't believe i'm saying this, slam poor Donald T. on the way out and making up B.S about a take it or leave it offer. He should have been a man about it and told the truth. That's the most upsetting part about everything. You say he's a big boy but he sure didn't act like one. Think about it, without the agent he made a verbal agreement to stay and take less money to win in L.A, showing his true charter. Then, the agent gets involved gets pissed about the negociations, fills his mind with crap, turns him against the team, appeals to his greed with more money from other teams, and turns Brand into the average, greedy, mindless, loyaless athlete. Seems like Falk lead this big boy on a leash. And yes Brand is still a VILLAIN in this story for the simple fact that he's gone along with all of this.
Jeff -northridge-

United States

#2 Jul 10, 2008
im still thinking LIAR!!
MaybeNot

United States

#3 Jul 10, 2008
Clipper fans grew to think so highly of Elton because, rightly or wrongly, we perceived him as one of few athletes we can tolerate and our kids can look up to. He is eloquent, seemingly humble, and worked hard. He came back to play last season when he really didn't have to, and/or maybe shouldn't have.
His dog and pony show disappoints me only in that he'd demonstrated that he's not better (and no worse) than any other athlete.
I will "boo" him when he comes back to Staples, but only because he's wearing a different uniform.
Go Clips!
Well DUH

Culver City, CA

#4 Jul 10, 2008
Sorry Davis. No Brand names here to play with. Welcome to Sterling's Twilight Zone where lottery picks fade out of sight as if they never existed. A dimension beyond reason, loyalty, or hope for a playoff spot.

“Raiders, Warriors and A's”

Since: Aug 07

San Jose

#5 Jul 11, 2008
MaybeNot wrote:
Clipper fans grew to think so highly of Elton because, rightly or wrongly, we perceived him as one of few athletes we can tolerate and our kids can look up to. He is eloquent, seemingly humble, and worked hard. He came back to play last season when he really didn't have to, and/or maybe shouldn't have.
His dog and pony show disappoints me only in that he'd demonstrated that he's not better (and no worse) than any other athlete.
I will "boo" him when he comes back to Staples, but only because he's wearing a different uniform.
Go Clips!
A man has the right to change his mind. He has the right to work anywhere his opportunities open up for him. We didn't experience what Brand experienced with the Clipper's management and owners. He had his druthers on where to play and money wasn't exactly the only priority, or he would've chosen Golden State, so he had other considerations. Brand knows he's in the twilight of his b-ball career and wanted to make the right choice. It's not just the individual player making these decisions. When that much money is on the table, it affects the lives of his family and associates. He might have gotten input from his family on this move, just like Jon Gruden bolted for Tampa Bay out of Oakland. He had more than one consideration, and the clincher was his family lived in Florida. As a Warriors fan, I'm sympathetic to Baron Davis choosing to move to L.A. for any number of reasons he had to consider. I feel the same way for any player. It's one thing for a fan to be loyal to his team, but it can get carried away. Okay, I understand that fan is short for fanatic. It's best kept in moderation, esp. if a parent is considering role models for his kids. If there is any role model, it's a kid's parents.
JamFan

San Luis Obispo, CA

#6 Jul 11, 2008
You say that Brand had class. Well eventually people's true colors come out. He certainly didn't leave with class. You obviously want to believe EB's version of events. But their version was just covering their butts, especially Falk who doesn't want to get blackballed in LA or around the NBA for that matter. Maybe you should have looked at the text messages that EB sent to Baron Davis. EB is a liar. Baron was showing them to the press. Or maybe you were just to busy sucking up to the Big guy.
ScottSB

Santa Barbara, CA

#7 Jul 11, 2008
Oh, the poor Clippers. Ha! They've treated their players, fans and employees like crap for 30 years. Now they want to whine about being misled, disrespected, cheated?! Clipper fans, don't be so gullible to believe the annual offseason drivel from Sterling, Roeser and now Dunleavy ... "we're building something here." Only thing they've built is a reputation as the single worst franchise in pro sports history, bar none. That's the fact.
Brian

Inglewood, CA

#8 Jul 14, 2008
I'm not a Clippers fan and don't even care about the NBA. From what I've read about this story though I think Elton Brand is the bad guy. It looks like he wanted the Clippers to do something to improve and help him. And they did it. And now he's skipping out on them. That's so nice of him.

This is the big problem with professional sports now. Teams and players don't really care about each other. It's just business, just a job.

San Jose

#9 Jul 14, 2008
Brian wrote:
I'm not a Clippers fan and don't even care about the NBA. From what I've read about this story though I think Elton Brand is the bad guy. It looks like he wanted the Clippers to do something to improve and help him. And they did it. And now he's skipping out on them. That's so nice of him.
This is the big problem with professional sports now. Teams and players don't really care about each other. It's just business, just a job.
"Bad guy"? C'mon, if Brand wanted to get away from Sterling, who can blame him for that? This is America, people move. Escape from L.A.
clipps4

Clark, NJ

#10 Jul 14, 2008
escape all you want,theres noone that would blame him but just dont tell the organization you're going to do one thing then do the other...its one thing for a high school kid to give a verbal and back out but its different for a grown man to do the same.

San Jose

#11 Jul 15, 2008
clipps4 wrote:
escape all you want,theres noone that would blame him but just dont tell the organization you're going to do one thing then do the other...its one thing for a high school kid to give a verbal and back out but its different for a grown man to do the same.
When Brand stated that intended to stay, he intended to stay. However, standing pat on that, no matter what, is not realistic. There were contract negotiations and it fell through for the Clippers. And it wasn't just money. If it were pure money, then the GSWs would have landed Brand. Now, can you tell us why Brand decided to leave L.A.? Until you find that out, maybe I won't buy into your condemnation of Brand.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elton Brand Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NBA Trade Rumors: Dallas Mavericks Talk Josh Sm... (Feb '13) Feb '13 King Dyce 1
Mavericks reflect on Connecticut tragedy (Dec '12) Dec '12 Douglas 1
Pacers Showing Interest in O.J. Mayo & Elton Br... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Tony E 1
Philadelphia 76ers: 8 Free Agents They Will Pur... (Jul '12) Jul '12 xKingxDycex 2
My Favorite Offseason Plan (Jun '12) Jun '12 xKingxDycex 1
Philadelphia 76ers: Why Pau Gasol Would Be a Gr... (Jun '12) Jun '12 xKingxDycex 1
Celtics, Sixers prepare for another seventh gam... (May '12) May '12 ummmm 1

Elton Brand People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE