Donnie, don't pass on chance to trade Lee

Full story: Newsday 12
Of all the scenarios dancing in Donnie Walsh's head leading up to tonight's NBA draft, the least popular one with Knicks fans would be trading David Lee . Full Story
Jimmy Gee

Newport News, VA

#1 Jun 26, 2008
Great article! If there is indeed a basketball god who would smile upon the Knicks...trading Lee for the #5 and having both #5 and #6 would be a HUGE step to bringing us back from the doldrums. Hopefully,we Knick fans will be smiling tonight!
Watch the Gap

New York, NY

#2 Jun 26, 2008
Why do people keep referring to Mayo as a "point guard". He is a shooting guard who averaged more turnovers than assists and is a me first player, not a team guy.

He would be the perfect replacement for Marbury, and that is the problem.
Watch the Gap

New York, NY

#3 Jun 26, 2008
"NBA TV had an interesting stat Tuesday, showing there's a 38-percent chance that a player selected fifth in the draft will become an All-Star. The odds drop to 17 percent for the sixth pick."

What are the odds of a Knick draft pick becoming an all star? About one in a million? I think Mark Jackson (1987) was the last one and he only made one all star team.

I believe the only Knick 1st round pick in the past 30 years to regularly make the all star team was Patrick Ewing and that pick was a no-brainer.
going your way

New York, NY

#4 Jun 26, 2008
Watch the Gap wrote:
Why do people keep referring to Mayo as a "point guard". He is a shooting guard who averaged more turnovers than assists and is a me first player, not a team guy.
He would be the perfect replacement for Marbury, and that is the problem.
Yeah, you are right on target. I don't get it either. Makes me wonder if the guy who wrote this story doesn't watch college basketball. I think Mayo is a lot like Jamal Crawford. The problem for the Knicks is that an NBA game is played with ONE basketball. They all can't ball hog at the same time. Trading Lee is the proverbial one step forward two steps back. Is their really someone good enough at the fifth slot that is worth Lee? By that, I mean an almost sure thing. I just don't see the player.
jys22

New York, NY

#5 Jun 26, 2008
Personally, I would only take Danilo if the Knicks had two picks like #5 and #6. Definitely not with the #6 but it's up to them.. Man, it seems that other teams are conspiring against the Knicks so that nothing happens for them. Well, I realize that they don't have any attractive pieces to trade anyway except D-Lee.
bill

Jamestown, NY

#6 Jun 26, 2008
Forget about trading for the pick and moving up for Mayo. Trade for the pick and pick two guys!!!! Isn't that logical. They could wind up with Love and Westbrook or Gordon and Danilo. Or even the 7 footer and Bayliss depending on who's left. No brainer would be to trade for the pick and keep them both. Any combination of those guys would be better than one Mayo. sheesh
Kyonk

Albertson, NY

#7 Jun 26, 2008
going your way wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, you are right on target. I don't get it either. Makes me wonder if the guy who wrote this story doesn't watch college basketball. I think Mayo is a lot like Jamal Crawford. The problem for the Knicks is that an NBA game is played with ONE basketball. They all can't ball hog at the same time. Trading Lee is the proverbial one step forward two steps back. Is their really someone good enough at the fifth slot that is worth Lee? By that, I mean an almost sure thing. I just don't see the player.
O.J. Mayo was a point guard his entire life until Tim Floyd asked him to switch to shooting guard at USC. The Trojans didn't have anyone who could score, so O.J. filled the slot. So the "me-first" player you're incorrectly labeling him switched positions to help his team. And O.J. Mayo is ten times the talent Crawford is, and I like Crawford. If you can trade Lee (a rebounder who can't shoot and is limited defensively) and get another pick, I say go for it. Strike now before other teams realize that Lee is little more than a good sixth man.
MVM

Redmond, WA

#8 Jun 26, 2008
It baffles me that people just don't get the value of someone like Lee (or Nate Robertson). You can't win championships, or even playoff games, without character and grit and you can't have a team with charcter and grit if you don't have players like that. And the logic about how Lee is tradeable because he didn't fit with Curry and Randolph is ludicrous. We should be dumping their fat sorry butts, not guys like David Lee...

Since: Mar 07

Brooklyn, NY

#9 Jun 26, 2008
While the Knicks faltered all year long, it was Robinson and Lee who came in and kept them going. The season before, Lee couldn't shoot at the foul line. Funny how after the summer he came back and shot so well. Funny how toward the end of this season he was able to shoot jump shots. I'd bet all my money that when this years season starts, he'll be shooting jump shots like a pro. He's a true athlete who takes the game serious, as does Robinson.

Then we have Curry (overweight and out of breath), Randolph (ball hog), Marbury (we won't go there) and the rest of those useless bench warmers.

Hello Donny, knock knock is anybody home?
going your way

New York, NY

#10 Jun 26, 2008
Kyonk wrote:
<quoted text>
O.J. Mayo was a point guard his entire life until Tim Floyd asked him to switch to shooting guard at USC. The Trojans didn't have anyone who could score, so O.J. filled the slot. So the "me-first" player you're incorrectly labeling him switched positions to help his team. And O.J. Mayo is ten times the talent Crawford is, and I like Crawford. If you can trade Lee (a rebounder who can't shoot and is limited defensively) and get another pick, I say go for it. Strike now before other teams realize that Lee is little more than a good sixth man.
No offense, Kyonk but you may be overstating the "ten times the talent" of Jamal Crawford. You are basing that on what? One year at USC? It looks like he will be a good player but that is a serious jump to the NBA. In addition you conveniently left out that little "scandal" Mr. Mayo left behind at USC. It could speak to his character, no? Also, remeber that trading Lee will not get the Knicks Mayo anyway. It still sounds like Mayo is gone by pick 3 or 4.
Karl

Jamaica, NY

#11 Jun 26, 2008
What a useless article. Who does Ken Berger suggest the Knicks send to the Grizz in addition to Lee that would land us the 5th pick? I don't see anyone they would want, and Lee alone ain't worth the 5 spot. He argues the Grizz want to win now and surround Marc Gasol with NBA ready talent, so that would rule out them wanting to acquire an expiring contract like Stephon. Besides that, Donnie has said he's gonna let these inflated contracts expire so we can get in the Lebron/Wade/Melo sweepstakes in 2010, which I totally agree with. But you can't have it both ways Kenny. Even if there is a deal possible for the #5 pick, why don't you suggest it instead of making me guess. Isn't that you job? Make up your mind, you sound like an ill-informed fan calling talk radio. I hope some blogger rips you apart.
pverne

Gaithersburg, MD

#12 Jun 26, 2008
Thankfully, Lee was not traded for #5! That might have been the dumbest thing the Knicks could have done. It might make Isaiah Thomas look more like a draft genius!! The chances of getting equal value, let alone superior value, were very small.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eddy Curry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Iverson to hold basketball clinic for adults Oct 16 Jewel Williams 2
Ex-NBA Player's Girlfriend, Daughter Murderer C... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Mark Winshel 1
Knicks on the 'pay no mind' list (Feb '08) Mar '12 terrome porter 21
Heat's Mike Miller targeting Tuesday return vs.... (Jan '12) Jan '12 Anonymous 1
Pelton: How would Bernard King fare today? (Oct '11) Oct '11 Orzette Lincoln 2
Timberwolves assist Carmelo Anthony trade, send... (Feb '11) Mar '11 jrogalav 59
Wolves said to be party in possible Anthony deal (Feb '11) Feb '11 nbasniper1 40

Eddy Curry People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE