Anthony is clutch but Knicks miss sho...

Anthony is clutch but Knicks miss shots late in 6th loss in row

There are 20 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 29, 2008, titled Anthony is clutch but Knicks miss shots late in 6th loss in row. In it, Newsday reports that:

With each shot that Carmelo Anthony drilled in the fourth quarter, exactly what the Knicks truly lack became quite evident.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

jys22

United States

#1 Dec 29, 2008
I realize that a lot can change between now and 2010, but at the same time things can just stay the same or get worse. With that in mind, who in their right mind would want to sign with this team who can't seem to win?(never mind Lebron who might re-sign with the Cavs next year). Also, the ping pong balls in next year's lottery might not fall for the Knicks again, or they can screw up the pick. I know, I seem to be just teetering on the borderline of a perpetual pessimist and realist, or a wishful optimist. This is sure one tough job for any GM and coach..
FrankB

Woodhaven, NY

#2 Dec 29, 2008
If the coach had played his best player when the season started ..........

Guess who's laughing now.
Question

Woodhaven, NY

#3 Dec 29, 2008
Alan Hahn - in the last 2 days (as per posting times on ultimateknicks.com ) you posted 3 articles and 4 blogs. Unless I've overlooked it, in not one did I read :"The Knicks -- who are owned by Cablevision, which also owns Newsday"

Is Newsday no longer owned by Cablevision? Only kidding.

However, I think it appropriate to let the readers know whether this non-disclosure is a new policy, and if so, why. Did the legal people vet it? Even before, however, sometimes you'd put in the disclosure, sometimes not.

The NY Post is owned by NewsCorp (Rupert Murdoch) and their holdings are humungous, much greater than Cablevision's, are all over the world, including books publishing, TV, Films, newspapers, internet, etc. I don't ever remember reading an article in the Post which mentioned one of NewsCorp's holdings, however long or brief the article, where that full disclosure was absent.
jerry

Lindenhurst, NY

#4 Dec 29, 2008
It's too bad the Knicks couldn't have put in Balkman to guard Carmelo.....oh yeah the Knicks traded Balkman....for the usual price .... nothing. The Knicks are loosing games because they traded away their bench and their two most productive players, craw and Randolf. Gone are Collins and Balkman two young defensive players with multiple talents. Talents they could have used last nite. Oh well, there goes another year.

Thanks D'An and Donny. We have to start over .......once again. Ridiculous, utterly redicilis.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#5 Dec 29, 2008
jerry wrote:
It's too bad the Knicks couldn't have put in Balkman to guard Carmelo.....oh yeah the Knicks traded Balkman....for the usual price .... nothing. The Knicks are loosing games because they traded away their bench and their two most productive players, craw and Randolf. Gone are Collins and Balkman two young defensive players with multiple talents. Talents they could have used last nite. Oh well, there goes another year.
Thanks D'An and Donny. We have to start over .......once again. Ridiculous, utterly redicilis.
the most telling signso far for me is that during the brodcast last night the all knowing Breen and Kenny Smith debated WHY were the Knicks not fouling the Nugget players who kept flying in for dunks while up by 10. As I recall when Isiah instructed them to foul Carmelo late in a game last year in similar circumstances the next day we had the infamous jackass backpage from the NYD rag quoting Nugget coach Karl with thomas in Donkey ears.
this is nothing more than a lottery team. I don't buy the "they're shorthanded" excuse. They MADE themselves short handed. They knew Galinari would not be back before JAnuary, if then. They waved their right to wait for Mobley to pass a physical before accepting the trade. Crawford scored 50 for GS last week. He may not have led to a title, but he was NOT the problem in NY.
In the EAst conference this year 44 wins could be a 5th-6th seed. The team with Zach and Crawford couldbe on there way to that.

Instead we have loterry picks for 2008 and 2009 to look forward to.

“Let's go Yankees”

Since: Jul 08

Long Island

#6 Dec 29, 2008
Drew Brown Bundini wrote:
<quoted text>the most telling signso far for me is that during the brodcast last night the all knowing Breen and Kenny Smith debated WHY were the Knicks not fouling the Nugget players who kept flying in for dunks while up by 10. As I recall when Isiah instructed them to foul Carmelo late in a game last year in similar circumstances the next day we had the infamous **** backpage from the NYD rag quoting Nugget coach Karl with thomas in Donkey ears.
this is nothing more than a lottery team. I don't buy the "they're shorthanded" excuse. They MADE themselves short handed. They knew Galinari would not be back before JAnuary, if then. They waved their right to wait for Mobley to pass a physical before accepting the trade. Crawford scored 50 for GS last week. He may not have led to a title, but he was NOT the problem in NY.
In the EAst conference this year 44 wins could be a 5th-6th seed. The team with Zach and Crawford couldbe on there way to that.
Instead we have loterry picks for 2008 and 2009 to look forward to.
As far as this years team goes, you are correct that we would have been better off with Zach & Crawford. But if can look down the road, these moves made sense. I am not a seasons ticket holder, so I don't have a vested interest, but I am ok with the team thinking about it's future, and planning accordingly. The Knicks have been in the rebuilding process for 10 years, and it's nice to finally be able see a plan in action.
Just my opinion
john tarpey

Coram, NY

#7 Dec 29, 2008
al,
let's just trade david lee & eddy curry, to free-up some more money.

and put ourselves in a position to draft an elite franchise point guard with a lottery pick.

Location hidden

#8 Dec 30, 2008
HarleyRyder wrote:
<quoted text>
As far as this years team goes, you are correct that we would have been better off with Zach & Crawford. But if can look down the road, these moves made sense. I am not a seasons ticket holder, so I don't have a vested interest, but I am ok with the team thinking about it's future, and planning accordingly. The Knicks have been in the rebuilding process for 10 years, and it's nice to finally be able see a plan in action.
Just my opinion
I am not a season ticket holder either. I usually go for the mini-plans ( a lot of mid-week games). I don't mind the rebuilding but for most teams you play for the playoffs and then see what happens. What was the rush? The deals for players like Tim Thomas and Harrington would not have been there in 2009? More likely they knew if the team made the playoffs in 2008-2009 with Zach and Crawford they couldn't dump them for 2009-2010 season.
Most often injuries derailplans in the NBA
... suppose in 2010 Lebron has won a championship in Cleveland and Wade is hurt again? Was sacrificing TWO seasons worth it to get the second tier Free Agents?

“Let's go Yankees”

Long Island

#9 Dec 30, 2008
<quoted text>I am not a season ticket holder either. I usually go for the mini-plans ( a lot of mid-week games). I don't mind the rebuilding but for most teams you play for the playoffs and then see what happens. What was the rush? The deals for players like Tim Thomas and Harrington would not have been there in 2009? More likely they knew if the team made the playoffs in 2008-2009 with Zach and Crawford they couldn't dump them for 2009-2010 season.
Most often injuries derailplans in the NBA
... suppose in 2010 Lebron has won a championship in Cleveland and Wade is hurt again? Was sacrificing TWO seasons worth it to get the second tier Free Agents?
I don't think anyone is trying to lose, but it's a new system, which with the talent they have now works sometimes, but clearly not always. As a coach, if he sees that a player isn't going to fit into his style, then he mine as well move him, and see if his replacement will. they have a year and a half to get a core of players who fit the system, and then go out and get a stud or 2 in 2010. If it's not lebron or wade, then it could be Bosch and/or stoudamire. It's not a perfect plan, but at least there seems to be a light at the end of the runnel, which we haven't had since the signing of Layden. I would love for them to hire someone who can evaluate talent, and draft accordingly. their draft choice consistently kill us.

Location hidden

#10 Dec 30, 2008
HarleyRyder wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think anyone is trying to lose, but it's a new system, which with the talent they have now works sometimes, but clearly not always. As a coach, if he sees that a player isn't going to fit into his style, then he mine as well move him, and see if his replacement will. they have a year and a half to get a core of players who fit the system, and then go out and get a stud or 2 in 2010. If it's not lebron or wade, then it could be Bosch and/or stoudamire. It's not a perfect plan, but at least there seems to be a light at the end of the runnel, which we haven't had since the signing of Layden. I would love for them to hire someone who can evaluate talent, and draft accordingly. their draft choice consistently kill us.
Crawford is playing the same run and gun style in GS and thriving. D'anton's system needs shooters and he dumped his top two. Any Unrestricted Free Agent can be signed to a maximum contract by their current team even if they are over the cap. NO NBA free agent has ever accepted less money to leave their current team. Hoping that Bosh or Stodamire/Wade or Lebron will be the first to accept less than a maximum contract for the opportunity to play for D'Anton in NY is a stretch. That light you see may just be another train coming this way.

I keep hearing they HAVE to sign at least one or two FA's in 2010. More likely they sign second tier guy and continue to be in the lottery for 4 years. Rather than admit it now they say 2010 is the goal. In 2010 they will say plan B is to build via the draft. You don't sell many $400 Court side seats with a 4 year plan

“Let's go Yankees”

Long Island

#11 Jan 3, 2009
<quoted text>Crawford is playing the same run and gun style in GS and thriving. D'anton's system needs shooters and he dumped his top two. Any Unrestricted Free Agent can be signed to a maximum contract by their current team even if they are over the cap. NO NBA free agent has ever accepted less money to leave their current team. Hoping that Bosh or Stodamire/Wade or Lebron will be the first to accept less than a maximum contract for the opportunity to play for D'Anton in NY is a stretch. That light you see may just be another train coming this way.
I keep hearing they HAVE to sign at least one or two FA's in 2010. More likely they sign second tier guy and continue to be in the lottery for 4 years. Rather than admit it now they say 2010 is the goal. In 2010 they will say plan B is to build via the draft. You don't sell many $400 Court side seats with a 4 year plan
Well....we shall see.
Are you in Albany? If so, do you ever go see the Great Danes play?

Location hidden

#12 Jan 3, 2009
HarleyRyder wrote:
<quoted text>
Well....we shall see.
Are you in Albany? If so, do you ever go see the Great Danes play?
not as much as I used to when I attended SUNY Albany. Siena vs. Albany is still the big game here. Siena has won the last 3 years. Albany has made it to the NCAA's
The MAAC tournament has also been here the last few years.
Tiffany

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#13 Jan 3, 2009
knicks should've won that game,the knicks are a better team than them,and the knicks have madd players on their team that could shoot 3s

Location hidden

#14 Jan 4, 2009
Tiffany wrote:
knicks should've won that game,the knicks are a better team than them,and the knicks have madd players on their team that could shoot 3s
that's what bad teams do... lose games that they should win

“Let's go Yankees”

Long Island

#15 Jan 5, 2009
<quoted text>not as much as I used to when I attended SUNY Albany. Siena vs. Albany is still the big game here. Siena has won the last 3 years. Albany has made it to the NCAA's
The MAAC tournament has also been here the last few years.
I as at the Sienna vs Albany game this year...wasn't pretty
Tiffany

United States

#16 Jan 5, 2009
the knicks is not a bad team,they got chris,quentin,wilson,eddy,and anthony

Location hidden

#17 Jan 5, 2009
considering how long each school has had Division I programs, in any sport, they aren't bad for 2 small schools.

“Let's go Yankees”

Long Island

#18 Jan 5, 2009
considering how long each school has had Division I programs, in any sport, they aren't bad for 2 small schools.
True, but a down year for Albany. they have 1 stud guard, and that's it. teams in recent past have been better. Not too familiar with Sienna, but wasn't too impressed

Location hidden

#19 Jan 7, 2009
HarleyRyder wrote:
<quoted text>
True, but a down year for Albany. they have 1 stud guard, and that's it. teams in recent past have been better. Not too familiar with Sienna, but wasn't too impressed
Until they get a real Athletic Center things won't change much. They both want to be Division I, without the big investment. The ALbany Football team plays on a field suuronded by a track in back of the gym. The bleacher are one side of the field attached to the steps on the back of the building. They try to recruit big time HS players from the West and Mid-West but the recruits see the facilities and say that their HS field is bigger... With the states financial problems nothing will change anytime soon...

“Let's go Yankees”

Long Island

#20 Jan 7, 2009
<quoted text>Until they get a real Athletic Center things won't change much. They both want to be Division I, without the big investment. The ALbany Football team plays on a field suuronded by a track in back of the gym. The bleacher are one side of the field attached to the steps on the back of the building. They try to recruit big time HS players from the West and Mid-West but the recruits see the facilities and say that their HS field is bigger... With the states financial problems nothing will change anytime soon...
I've been to a few football games there, and agree compleyely. I'm sure many of the players from the west and mid-west probably have more fans at their HS games as well.
As for the basketball team, I agree they could use a new facility to play in, but I've seen worse than what they have.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eddy Curry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Iverson to hold basketball clinic for adults (Oct '14) Oct '14 Jewel Williams 2
News Ex-NBA Player's Girlfriend, Daughter Murderer C... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Mark Winshel 1
News Knicks on the 'pay no mind' list (Feb '08) Mar '12 terrome porter 21
News Heat's Mike Miller targeting Tuesday return vs.... (Jan '12) Jan '12 Anonymous 1
News Pelton: How would Bernard King fare today? (Oct '11) Oct '11 Orzette Lincoln 2
News Timberwolves assist Carmelo Anthony trade, send... (Feb '11) Mar '11 jrogalav 59
News Wolves said to be party in possible Anthony deal (Feb '11) Feb '11 nbasniper1 40
More from around the web