Manson follower Susan Atkins mulled for release

There are 20 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jun 13, 2008, titled Manson follower Susan Atkins mulled for release. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

In their comeback season, the Boston Celtics saved the biggest one of all for the NBA Finals.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Jun 13, 2008
She didn't show any compassion when she murdered those people, why should the state show any compassion now.

Let her die in prison.
Old White Guy

United States

#2 Jun 13, 2008
How is our home grown terrorist doing these days?
Elliott Bettman MD

Myrtle Beach, SC

#4 Jun 13, 2008
she was just an acid fried dumb teenage groupie. Let her go, and pray for a brain tumor miracle. She is redeemed
nope

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Jun 13, 2008
she doesn't deserve to die with loved ones... the people they murdered didn't have that chance.

period.... they should all die in prison.
Tca

AOL

#6 Jun 14, 2008
im not going to say what should happen and what not should happen.but im going to say this they did not spare tookie williams.life they did'nt want to even let him have life in prison i just don't understand there talking about how she work in prison. and all that tookie wrote books.to try and stop gangs man this is deep
Blah Blah Blah

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Jun 14, 2008
Let that b**** rot in prison. It's too bad we had to spend money to keep her in prison. She had way too many years of life the way it is.
Charley

Breaux Bridge, LA

#8 Jun 14, 2008
Step away from the bong, Tca.

“Rough road ahead”

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#11 Jun 15, 2008
I think they should ask the victims families, if they feel if she had enough, if they say yes let her go, if they say no then leave her where she is act.

The families she help destroyed should have the last saying.
durham dad

Chico, CA

#13 Jun 15, 2008
let her out,need let the families "hunt her"
rita

United States

#14 Jun 15, 2008
If you don't have compassion for another, terminally ill, person, look at the financial angle. If she is released on compassionate grounds, she must secure private finds for her care. She can no longer even get out of bed. What the state would be doing is releasing itself of high security hospice care. Now, she has hospice care with the state paying for correctional guards and a securoty system that isn't even neccessary. Wouldn't you rather be spending that money more wisely? Or, does the state have an over abundance of funds?
rita

United States

#15 Jun 15, 2008
rrenault wrote:
I think they should ask the victims families, if they feel if she had enough, if they say yes let her go, if they say no then leave her where she is act.
The families she help destroyed should have the last saying.
Yes, let's turn the Justice system over to emotion. Too many documented cases of family members testifying to desire for death penalty or continued incarceration for someone who actually turned out to be innocent. This is not the case in Atkins situation, but reactive emotion is probably not the best way to run a society.
Jesus H Christ

United States

#16 Jun 15, 2008
America is a CHRISTIAN NATION. God commanded this, and God was a God Fearing Christian Republican who voted not once but twice for GWB. God says read the bible and follow it verbatim, especially the old testament. Now fetch my slaves and bring me one of my younger wives.

“Rough road ahead”

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#17 Jun 17, 2008
rita wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, let's turn the Justice system over to emotion. Too many documented cases of family members testifying to desire for death penalty or continued incarceration for someone who actually turned out to be innocent. This is not the case in Atkins situation, but reactive emotion is probably not the best way to run a society.
Well this is not one of those cases obviously where there is a chance of this person could innocent.

The least You could do was use common sense.

This Idea was not to run society, but this particular situation.
God

Chico, CA

#18 Jun 17, 2008
If we were really a Christian nation we would not be having this discussion. It is a multi-cultural society, but I think in most societies if a woman stabbs a pregnant woman to death the penalty is usually death. I feel sorry for Susan Atkins though, kinda the way I felt sorry for Judas Iscariot.
She had freedom to choose how to live though. She is reaping what she sews. Chances are they are not giving her enough pain medicine (so she wont get addicted!!!)
Macaroni

San Francisco, CA

#19 Jun 17, 2008
Susan Atkins had a son in October 1968. He will be forty years old this fall.

Sharon Tate would have had a child sometime in August or September of 1969, except for the fact that the both of them were murdered by Susan and friends. He/she WOULD HAVE been thirty nine this fall.
Susan was able to experience the joy of having a child, even if not there to raise him. Sharon was denied this. Sorry, Susan...you made your bed...now lie in it.
Support Your Local Cop

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Jun 17, 2008
She was supposed to be executed but later commutted to life in prison. So she comes to an early end- oh well- dying in prison is justice served.
Liz

Chico, CA

#21 Jun 17, 2008
Support Your Local Cop wrote:
She was supposed to be executed but later commutted to life in prison. So she comes to an early end- oh well- dying in prison is justice served.
Yes SYLC. That's what I was thinking. If one is sentenced to prison for life, that means their sentence will end whenever and HOWever their life happens to end...whether it be as the result of a heart attack, stroke, during one's sleep, or a life threatening/terminal illness. We've all gotta go someday, somehow. Just because when that end is going to come might be a little more predictable due to an individual suffering from a terminal illness doesn't mean that the sentence should be terminated. She's just damned lucky that she escaped the death penalty because otherwise she wouldn't have even made it nearly THIS far.
Joe Boston MA

Foxboro, MA

#22 Jun 22, 2008
I believe that she should remain a prisoner simply on principal. Releasing her prisoner status will not help her long term and would be making a statement that I don't feel we should make. It is great that she has found God and has helped so many people. It really is and I sincerely mean it. However, this is not making it any easier on the families of those who were murdered. Those who have missed out of so many opportunities and memories with their lost loved ones.
P T Bull

Minneapolis, MN

#23 Jun 22, 2008
rita wrote:
<quoted text>

Looks like your emotions got the better of you on this one... ;) Anyway, liberalism is the essence of reactive emotion--though it believes it is the only truly rational mode of political thinking.
ffk you

Santa Cruz, CA

#24 Jun 22, 2008
burn the puke alive along with the firebug if that get em

why keep this puke alive

money saved buys me a doggie beach

got it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eddie House Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News House scores 35 points, Heat beat Raptors 97-79 (Apr '11) Apr '11 wezzy 1
News Wade, Heat continue insisting, 'We're fine' (Mar '11) Mar '11 Jee Moo 14
News Ask Ira: Should Heat have kept Dorell, Beasley? (Jan '11) Jan '11 tds 1
News What's so great about Heat? (Nov '10) Nov '10 GunnyGirl 1
News Millsap scores 46 points and Jazz rally from 22... (Nov '10) Nov '10 triple6vamp 1
News Celts beat Heat 88-80 despite 31 from James (Oct '10) Oct '10 get real 1
News A Heat run at Bulls' win record: 'Preposterous'... (Sep '10) Sep '10 Consolidator 1
More from around the web