Lakers coach Jackson wants more from ...

Lakers coach Jackson wants more from Bynum on defense

There are 10 comments on the LA Daily News story from Jan 17, 2010, titled Lakers coach Jackson wants more from Bynum on defense. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

Andrew Bynum is averaging 15.8 points on 55.8 percent shooting plus 8.4 rebounds going into tonight's Finals rematch against the Orlando Magic, fine statistics to be sure.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

ndongo

Pasadena, CA

#1 Jan 18, 2010
I also feel the same way bunnym can become a great player if he can improve his rebounding and block shots. I do not see any reason why he should not except being lazy. the guy is bigger than most players on the court and have more talent that a lot of players he should bouly them around to take rebounds and block shots if he becomes active on defense. his problem is standing by the free throw line when the ball goes up. a center stay around the rim to fight for rebounds not at the free throw line. a rebounder block his man and go get the rebound not stand behind the opposite player he is garding or guarding him and react after the fact. how many times during games we have seem the ball comes to andrew hands and when he fanbles it and do not attempt to go pick it up. most of the time he doen'nt even put pressure on the man guarding him for a rebound. he should learn to go around the player blocking him for a rebound or at least pressure him instead of standing being and hoping for the ball to bounce his way. some one need to show him yanick noa attitude on rebounding. every shot is a miss.
ndongo

Pasadena, CA

#2 Jan 18, 2010
there was a game this past week where fisher was leading the team on rebounds by half time. what is that tells you. and the speaker mention it during the game. how can fisher leads these tall players on rebound by half time. it doesnt make sens. that was ridiculus. absolutely didiculus. kobe was sick I can understand that. odom wasn't feeling good I can understand that, artest was having his health problem i can undertand that. what about every body else?
Raymond Ansong

Boston, MA

#4 Jan 18, 2010
Hi to you all of the Lakers' family. What are we doing about the bench situation? With the exception of Luke Walton, Farmar and Brown, the rest are just a bunch of basketball jogglers who cannot and should not be relied on for any reason.
Please beef up the bench with players from the D-league who are ready to play. Happy go the Laker family.
shawn

United States

#5 Jan 18, 2010
Raymond Ansong wrote:
Hi to you all of the Lakers' family. What are we doing about the bench situation? With the exception of Luke Walton, Farmar and Brown, the rest are just a bunch of basketball jogglers who cannot and should not be relied on for any reason.
Please beef up the bench with players from the D-league who are ready to play. Happy go the Laker family.

ok, but isn't lo coming off the bench? who has a better bench? if lo and brown are d-leaguers i'll take it. farmer needs more playing time but walton plain sucks like the rest. again, what team has a better bench? 3 players would start on most teams...problem is they don't get enough time.
DrPhil

Beaumont, CA

#6 Jan 18, 2010
It would seem both Bynum and Gasol are responsible for defense. By placing all the burden on Bynum for defense, the Lakers are letting the other players get away and not emphasizing a team appraoch to defending oppoenents as Rambis did, when he was the assistant coach that helped the team to win a championship last year.
s myers

United States

#7 Jan 18, 2010
I also think bynum can become a great player if he picks up his defense.He does get way to far away from the basket at times.In another artical phil jackson said maybe bynum does miss rambis a little. Maybe gasul should show that to bynum since gasul is a good defender around the basket.Also the bench needs to pick it up they run around out their like their lost.Their is way to much dribaling around by one person all the time.Also lo starting to disapear in games again like he did last year.LO is agreat player we need his energy all the time on the second unite.
apujac

San Marcos, TX

#8 Jan 18, 2010
foot speed is not the only thing that bynum have to overcome, defying gravitational pull is the other.
Tiffany

Manhasset, NY

#10 Jan 20, 2010
Is Bynum even 100% well?
Ginobili

Santa Cruz, CA

#11 Jan 24, 2010
Andrew is about 80%, he will be ready for the playoffs.
ginobili

Santa Cruz, CA

#12 Jan 27, 2010
When Bynum gets well and Kobe lets him be involved in the games the Lakers will win the NBA title. Kobe can be the Lakers biggest hurtle to another title because of his selfish ways. On paper the Lakers are the best team. They have three players that have potential to average a double double each game no other team has that, Bynum, Odom and Gasol. They have great guards with Fisher, Farmar and Shannon Brown. With Kobe wanting to shoot 25 to 40 shots a game and demanding the ball all the time forget it. He needs to change.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dwight Howard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Magic's success against Cleveland's one-man sho... (May '09) Jun '15 tom wingo 177
News Jeremy Lin on demotion (Jan '15) Mar '15 mike tirico 13
News NBA Trade Rumors: Jeremy Lin, Omer Asik & Chand... (May '14) Sep '14 cavas 132
News Where Free Agent LeBron James Will Take His Tal... (Jun '14) Jul '14 shenmengxing 2
News Reconnecting with estranged father would comple... (Dec '10) Jul '14 Morganza Man 2
News Chandler Parsons' Contract Looms over Critical ... (May '14) May '14 OneGuy 7
News Lakers Playoffs? (Dec '13) Dec '13 Jamshid 1
More from around the web