Minnesota Timberwolves lose big lead, absorb a quarter pounding against Orlando Magic

Full story: TwinCities.com

Part of the conversation at halftime in the Timberwolves' locker room Saturday night was to not "get sloppy" with the ball.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 9 of9

Since: Apr 08

Eden Prairie, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2011

Is Pam Borton coaching the Timberwolves too?
fracas

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2011

Judged:

The Magic and Wolves have different agendas. The Magic are out to win games, and possibly a championship. The Wolves are out to develop their young players, and try to win games in the process. If Flynn, Ellington, Johnson, and Pekovic were on the Magic roster, they would not play at all. Yet the Wolves give these guys (except Ellington) 15-20 minutes, each, game in and game out, because they have to find out if these guys can play. If Brewer, Beasley, and Webster divided all of the minutes available at SF and SG between themselves, and if Ridnour and Telfair took up ALL of the PG minutes, then this team would win more games.

I don't know if the game was on TV in Mpls. last night as I watched on nba league pass, but the quality of officiating in basketball sucks. First it was Kenny Mauer showing everyone WHO is in control by going TT....TT.......T in the span of 10 game seconds. Last night it was Dwight Howard being as physical as he wants on one end, with no calls (he did eventually get 5 fouls on pretty obvious shoot block attempts), and on the other end it was foul after foul as Darko, then Pek, tried to body up on Howard. I know that this is a lost season from a win-loss standpoint, so it is not as if these calls are costing us any W's that we need in the standings, but I think it kills morale, and the fan base. NBA basketball has kind of a WWF flavor to it, doesn't it.

Very good game by Brewer who was his typical Energizer Bunny self, and making shots in the process. Good game by Ridnour. Love's shot wasn't falling. Where were you when your team needed you Wes and Martell?
smartie

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2011

Judged:

Why does the PP continue to cover the toothless Wolves? It would be much more interesting reading if you would cover Prep basketball more. The Wolves belong in the CBA, not the NBA.
wolvesfan

Rochester, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2011

Judged:

It seemed as if the Wolves were playing 5 against 8 last night, the extra three being the officials. How can Darko and Pek foul out of a game? That's 12 fouls on two guys whose only job was guarding one guy! All Darko had to do was look at Howard and he got whistled. He might as well have stayed on the bench! Howard gets by with mugging anyone trying to guard him and the refs go blind. Love gets slapped, hacked, shoved and scratched and the refs again go blind. Not sure what more he has to do to get a little respect from NBA officials.

That said - I was surprised that we were in the game at all. I thought we would get blown out by 25+ points. Good going guys! Gotta love Corey - what a game!
Mike L

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2011

Judged:

smartie wrote:
Why does the PP continue to cover the toothless Wolves? It would be much more interesting reading if you would cover Prep basketball more. The Wolves belong in the CBA, not the NBA.
The PP continues to cover them because fans continue to go to games and some people see the pieces in place of a franchise heading in the right direction. If you're looking for wins, it's not going to happen yet. But I believe we will see a nice stretch of wins before the year is done and Kahn is always looking for ways to improve the team.

I totally agree that the PP should have more prep bball coverage, but their are still those of us who root for these Wolves.
DD Austin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2011

Judged:

At least you guys use creative ways to write about how the T-wolves got thumped again. I'll give you that! They give you the opportunity every time they play.
Mondak

Beaumont, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2011

Judged:

The difference was the deference the refs give to Orlando and their star Center, Howard. He was allowed to bang all night, and commit egregious fouls with no
calls. It was terrible one-sided officiating against our big men. I'm sick of
Superstars having their way with the referees. Same thing happened in all of
the San Antonio games; Ginobili makes a face and gets a call.
johnny

Austin, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2011

23 points one night, none the next.

PLEASE Start Martell at the two!!!

He is an excellent defender like brewer and a far more consistent scorer. He's also the same height as both brewer and johnson (6' and change without shoes). It doesn't make any sense why we're not utilizing Martell's talents by starting him at the two and giving him more minutes.
same here

Plymouth, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2011

johnny wrote:
23 points one night, none the next.
PLEASE Start Martell at the two!!!
He is an excellent defender like brewer and a far more consistent scorer. He's also the same height as both brewer and johnson (6' and change without shoes). It doesn't make any sense why we're not utilizing Martell's talents by starting him at the two and giving him more minutes.
Well, Webster did have back surgery. Limiting his minutes might still be needed, and although Webster has put in some good minutes, his shot is prone to being cold and defensively, I do not agree he is anywhere near as good as Brewer. Brewer in a position to be shooting that much just shows the lack of bench depth we have. There is such a falloff when any of the starters come out.(And no lead is safe with Flynn in there, yet again.)

I'm glad others are commenting about the NBA refereeing. WWF is exactly the impression I get too. Any time a team that is not "supposed" to win is in the lead, its amazing how quickly the whistles come out and bring the game back "under control." Considering the doubts people have in the wake of the refs gambling (Donahee, sp?) they need to make sure the officiating is professional and unbiased. Every time I see things going on with the refs as we are all seeing, I can't help but half sarcastically comment:
"How much do the refs have on this game tonight, and did the league make a call as to who was supposed to win tonight?" It's just soooo pathetic to watch. It's not like anyone expects the Wolves to win, but when they have a chance, the refereeing usually takes care of it for them, or Johnny Flynn, or both.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 9 of9
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Dwight Howard Discussions

Search the Dwight Howard Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Lakers Playoffs? Dec '13 Jamshid 1
Togetherness Taking Hold as Los Angeles Lakers ... (Oct '13) Nov '13 Wow 2
Chicago Bulls vs. Los Angeles Lakers: Preview, ... (Mar '13) Aug '13 Sam 3
Lakers News: Bringing Phil Jackson Back into Or... (Aug '13) Aug '13 scs 1
Kobe Bryant: Lakers Star Says 'Six' Is What Kee... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Sammy 3
How Long Will Los Angeles Belong to the Clipper... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Leeru 9
Lakers VP: Kobe could return for preseason (Jul '13) Jul '13 Ghost of Trayvon Martin 5
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••