Lack of draft picks won't deter Orlando Magic from keeping busy

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

So what do you do when the NBA gets all dressed up for its annual ball and you're invited but don't have a date? Well, the Orlando Magic will soon find out as they prepare for Thursday's draft without a selection for the first time in team history.
Comments
21 - 40 of 40 Comments Last updated Jun 25, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
LMAO

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jun 24, 2009
 
I have ALL the Tools.
Aron

Kissimmee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Jun 24, 2009
 
Michael in Ocoee wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not for changing anything, personally. Next year, C. Lee will be a year better and Jameer will be healthy. I don't think we are that far away. Add to that...hopefully... one consistent solid new offensive move by Dwight and we are there. I like C. Lee a lot, but I am not convinced how well he can handle the ball yet (<---poor sentence structure).
There is something to be said for chemistry which is why Rasheed Wallace will NEVER don a Magic uniform. If we can keep this thing together by paying Turk even $8 mil for 4 years, I'm in. My next choice would be Okur. 3rd choice would be to wait until 2010 and play Lee at the 2 and insert Pietrus at the 3.
The problem is our lineup won't work next year. We got LUCKY this year. We played Philly who was missing Elton Brand and only had one true big man in little Sammy Dalembert. We then played Boston who were KG less and then we played the CAV's whom have no legitimate big men at all. Finally, we faced the Lakers who have 2-3 very good big men and they exploited our weakness, which has been the same thing all year long: rebounding and no help for Dwight. Resigning Hedo won't change the problem. Iíll go back to what I said earlier this year. Do we want to be a good regular season team or a contending playoff team for years to come? Because as I see it, resigning Turk makes us a good regular season team, like the Sacramento Kings of yesteryears past.

Notice that all the teams in the West who at least made the Semiís had decent PF/C combos: LA (Bynum/Gasol), Denver (Nene/Martin), Houston (Ming/Scola) and (Dampier/Nowintzki). We wonít be able to compete against those types of lineups if Dwight doesnít get help. Rashard simply isnít big enough and strong enough to compete with those types of big men at the PF spot. Sure there is miss-matches in the shooting department, but where it counts the most: rebounding/2nd chance opportunities, we get hammered every time. We just canít keep giving opposing teams more than one shot at the basket, and Dwight canít cover a 20x20 foot area by himself.
Mike

Deland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Jun 24, 2009
 
As much as I love Turk and I am impressed with what we did this past season im not at all sold that this team is a championship team as is... We barely made it past a Boston team that was missing a key big man... The magic lack PF skill and Size... Rashard plays good at the position for stretches but not enitre games or series....

I propose that we do a sign and trade with Turk to Get Carlos Boozer from Utah... Utah is already speculated to be drafting Tyler Hansbourgh to replace Boozer.... Then we call up Grant Hill for one more go around with the team to play back up SF we would have a lineup of
C-Howard/??
PF- Boozer/Battie
SF- Lewis/GHill
SG- Lee/Pietrus
PG- Nelson/Alston

maybe trade Alston along with Turk and try to resign Gortat

No matter what we are going over the Luxury threshold so I say if you can pull off a move like this we would be much better equipped to battle the KGs, Gasols/Odems, and whoever the cavs pick up...

and while I am unhappy with GHill and it would be tough to see him come back here, you cant deny that he is healthy and because he owes us one and knows we have a shot at a title now we wont find anyone cheaper of that quality

What do you guys think??

“If you say it, back it up”

Since: Jan 08

Ocoee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Jun 24, 2009
 
Aron wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is our lineup won't work next year. We got LUCKY this year. We played Philly who was missing Elton Brand and only had one true big man in little Sammy Dalembert. We then played Boston who were KG less and then we played the CAV's whom have no legitimate big men at all. Finally, we faced the Lakers who have 2-3 very good big men and they exploited our weakness, which has been the same thing all year long: rebounding and no help for Dwight. Resigning Hedo won't change the problem. Iíll go back to what I said earlier this year. Do we want to be a good regular season team or a contending playoff team for years to come? Because as I see it, resigning Turk makes us a good regular season team, like the Sacramento Kings of yesteryears past.
Notice that all the teams in the West who at least made the Semiís had decent PF/C combos: LA (Bynum/Gasol), Denver (Nene/Martin), Houston (Ming/Scola) and (Dampier/Nowintzki). We wonít be able to compete against those types of lineups if Dwight doesnít get help. Rashard simply isnít big enough and strong enough to compete with those types of big men at the PF spot. Sure there is miss-matches in the shooting department, but where it counts the most: rebounding/2nd chance opportunities, we get hammered every time. We just canít keep giving opposing teams more than one shot at the basket, and Dwight canít cover a 20x20 foot area by himself.
I disagree. Elton Brand will never fit with the style of the current make up of the 76ers. We beat them in 5 with Brand.

Valid point about KG, BUT, with a healthy Jameer, we simply don't know how that series turns out. No way Rondo crashes the boards against Jameer the way he did against Alston. He averaged a sick 10 bpg in that series. With Jameer in, Rondo would have been forced to the perimeter as Jameer is a much larger 3pt threat. Oddly enough, it looks like Boston is looking to blow up that team already anyway. No guarantee KG ever regains his form....and it looks like Rondo and Allen could be on their way out.

Can't argue with your Cavs statement.

In terms of the Lakers, that series was one FT and one layup from going 7 games. We are not that far away. Jameer back, C. Lee a year better, and one....just one unstoppable offensive move from Dwight and we are set.
LMAO

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Jun 24, 2009
 
I think you both are posting memories of my posts on here for the past two years.
Magic are a #8 thru 13 power rating NBA team. When they get a PF and a decent PG they may have a chance to move up. Until then they wont win a championship by keeping Turk with Lewis and Jameer with anyone.

But then again if they dont trade JJ I'm not posting on here anymore anyway.
Or maybe I will, and be even more obnoxious than even I think I can be,LOL.
Both Philly & the Celtics should have beaten the SouthEast Softees. They wont be back for many a year friends.
:)

“If you say it, back it up”

Since: Jan 08

Ocoee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Jun 24, 2009
 
By the way, I would have loved to get Mike Miller back. We get Mike and we don't need Turk. Just not a lot of player do what Turk does. Not a lot of ball handling SF's out there.
Forrest Trump

Winter Park, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#27
Jun 24, 2009
 
Aron wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is our lineup won't work next year. We got LUCKY this year. We played Philly who was missing Elton Brand and only had one true big man in little Sammy Dalembert. We then played Boston who were KG less and then we played the CAV's whom have no legitimate big men at all. Finally, we faced the Lakers who have 2-3 very good big men and they exploited our weakness, which has been the same thing all year long: rebounding and no help for Dwight. Resigning Hedo won't change the problem. Iíll go back to what I said earlier this year. Do we want to be a good regular season team or a contending playoff team for years to come? Because as I see it, resigning Turk makes us a good regular season team, like the Sacramento Kings of yesteryears past.
Notice that all the teams in the West who at least made the Semiís had decent PF/C combos: LA (Bynum/Gasol), Denver (Nene/Martin), Houston (Ming/Scola) and (Dampier/Nowintzki). We wonít be able to compete against those types of lineups if Dwight doesnít get help. Rashard simply isnít big enough and strong enough to compete with those types of big men at the PF spot. Sure there is miss-matches in the shooting department, but where it counts the most: rebounding/2nd chance opportunities, we get hammered every time. We just canít keep giving opposing teams more than one shot at the basket, and Dwight canít cover a 20x20 foot area by himself.
Agreed Aron. And people also wonder why the Magic give up big leads.

1) Opponents offensive rebounds, leading to 2nd chance points.

2) No real go to scorer, Turk disappears too much and tries to make up for it in the 4th qtr.

Sorry Michael, but Turk is free to leave IMO. I swear but am I the only one who noticed that the Magic played better for the most part when Turk was on the bench and Pietrus was at the 3 spot?
Aron

Kissimmee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#28
Jun 24, 2009
 
Side note: Atl just got better. They landed Jamal Crawford. Although they still don't have any big men, Crawford is an upgrade over Bibby.
Forrest Trump

Winter Park, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
Jun 24, 2009
 
Michael in Ocoee wrote:
By the way, I would have loved to get Mike Miller back. We get Mike and we don't need Turk. Just not a lot of player do what Turk does. Not a lot of ball handling SF's out there.
I like Turk, but at this point in his career. He is what he is. And when his game is off, he's a liability on both ends of the floor. When he's struggling on offense, then comes the boneheaded passes and terrible shot selection. And then he becomes a defense liability. We've all seen this too many times. It's not gonna change and will get worse since he's on the decline.

“If you say it, back it up”

Since: Jan 08

Ocoee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30
Jun 24, 2009
 
LMAO wrote:
I think you both are posting memories of my posts on here for the past two years.
Magic are a #8 thru 13 power rating NBA team. When they get a PF and a decent PG they may have a chance to move up. Until then they wont win a championship by keeping Turk with Lewis and Jameer with anyone.
But then again if they dont trade JJ I'm not posting on here anymore anyway.
Or maybe I will, and be even more obnoxious than even I think I can be,LOL.
Both Philly & the Celtics should have beaten the SouthEast Softees. They wont be back for many a year friends.
:)
I gotta hand it to you. You are sticking with that #8 thru 13 thing no matter how stupid you look now. That takes some guts. ;-)

“If you say it, back it up”

Since: Jan 08

Ocoee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#31
Jun 24, 2009
 
Aron wrote:
Side note: Atl just got better. They landed Jamal Crawford. Although they still don't have any big men, Crawford is an upgrade over Bibby.
Ah, we'll see. Crawford is lights out for sure, but hardly a pure PG. That team is weird though. On paper, they look like they should be in the lower 3rd of the league. They play well together. Crawford as been a cancer at times throughout his career. Not much of a defender.
Aron

Kissimmee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#32
Jun 24, 2009
 
Michael in Ocoee wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree. Elton Brand will never fit with the style of the current make up of the 76ers. We beat them in 5 with Brand.
Valid point about KG, BUT, with a healthy Jameer, we simply don't know how that series turns out. No way Rondo crashes the boards against Jameer the way he did against Alston. He averaged a sick 10 bpg in that series. With Jameer in, Rondo would have been forced to the perimeter as Jameer is a much larger 3pt threat. Oddly enough, it looks like Boston is looking to blow up that team already anyway. No guarantee KG ever regains his form....and it looks like Rondo and Allen could be on their way out.
Can't argue with your Cavs statement.
In terms of the Lakers, that series was one FT and one layup from going 7 games. We are not that far away. Jameer back, C. Lee a year better, and one....just one unstoppable offensive move from Dwight and we are set.
You do make valid points (as always), but it's the "what if's" that the team shouldn't dwell on. We can't help that we didn't have Jameer and the Celts not having KG, alas we did win; however, I still think the outcome could have been different. The fact is, the east really doesn't have any crushing PF/C combos besides the Celts (that I can think of, off the top of my head); that is if KG returns to form and Perkins continues to improve. Eltan Brand could be out of place up there for sure, but he is perfect for playoff basketball. Not totally sure what they are going to do, but a new system could help them.

Regarding the Laker series; sure a layup and a free throw or two could have made the difference. But again, we gave up waaaay too many second chance opportunism and Dwight + Hedo turned the ball over waaay too much giving the Lakers too many easy points. We canít have a turn over prone center and a SF that has the same types of problems playing at the same time. It killed us tons in the playoffs, thus making some series go longer than they should have. Iím willing to deal with Dwightís screw ups, but no Turkís. Sorry, heís just the odd man out in this whole situation. Iíd rather take a savvy veteran in G.Hill (whom I hate) over a turnover prone Hedo (whom Iíve grown to hate over the last 2 years). If Hedo expects 10 mil a year, I expect a guy who averages 20 ppg and averages less than 2 turnovers a game. The rest is a given because the ball is in his hand all the time in this offense and he is 6í10 (talking about assist/rebounds)

Another reason why I believe Turk can go is because C.Lee (like you mentioned) is going to get a lot better, so long as he is given a shot to. He has decent ball skills and will continue to improve. We just need help at the 4/PF. Resigning Turk wonít help that. We still will have the ďrag dollĒ like Rashard Lewis playing out of position and getting beat up/thrown around by stronger/better PFís during the regular season and in the playoffs. Itís no wonder why Rashard struggles sometimes. He has to do too much against bigger/stronger players. We ask him to play defense, shoot the three well and rebound, all this for a guy who barely maxes out at 230 lbs soak and wet.
Aron

Kissimmee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#33
Jun 24, 2009
 
Forrest Trump wrote:
<quoted text>
I like Turk, but at this point in his career. He is what he is. And when his game is off, he's a liability on both ends of the floor. When he's struggling on offense, then comes the boneheaded passes and terrible shot selection. And then he becomes a defense liability. We've all seen this too many times. It's not gonna change and will get worse since he's on the decline.
Exactly, exactly, exactly, well put bro

“If you say it, back it up”

Since: Jan 08

Ocoee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#34
Jun 24, 2009
 
The Bucks now have a HUGE gap at SF.

Really the only other teams RIGHT NOW that could likely try to sign Turk are:

Portland
Detroit
Atlanta
Toronto

Can't see Turk going to Canada. Could the Bucks be making a play for Turk? Hmmmmmmm.....

“If you say it, back it up”

Since: Jan 08

Ocoee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#35
Jun 24, 2009
 
Aron wrote:
<quoted text>
....Another reason why I believe Turk can go is because C.Lee (like you mentioned) is going to get a lot better, so long as he is given a shot to. He has decent ball skills and will continue to improve. We just need help at the 4/PF. Resigning Turk wonít help that. We still will have the ďrag dollĒ like Rashard Lewis playing out of position and getting beat up/thrown around by stronger/better PFís during the regular season and in the playoffs. Itís no wonder why Rashard struggles sometimes. He has to do too much against bigger/stronger players. We ask him to play defense, shoot the three well and rebound, all this for a guy who barely maxes out at 230 lbs soak and wet.
I would love to see C. Lee handle the ball more, but his ball handling skills are just up in the air at this point. I don't think he will turn into the steal of last year's draft. I am okay with another PF and Shard to the 3, but it has to be a PF that can shoot a decent 3pt % and play facing the basket. Gortat could never be that because he play with his back to the basket like Dwight. I would be THRILLED with Okur! Some really good player is going to be the odd man out this year. Teams are hurting financially and the ones that aren't are saving money for next year's FA crop. There is going to be some good deals to be had for those teams that are willing to be patient. I hope Otis is...because...in a pinch...we could always make do with Pietrus at SF if we somehow get left out.

“If you say it, back it up”

Since: Jan 08

Ocoee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#36
Jun 24, 2009
 
Regarding C. Lee, I meant to say...I DO think he will be the steal of last year's draft.
Gary

Apopka, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#37
Jun 24, 2009
 
LMAO wrote:
I think you both are posting memories of my posts on here for the past two years.
Magic are a #8 thru 13 power rating NBA team. When they get a PF and a decent PG they may have a chance to move up. Until then they wont win a championship by keeping Turk with Lewis and Jameer with anyone.
But then again if they dont trade JJ I'm not posting on here anymore anyway.
Or maybe I will, and be even more obnoxious than even I think I can be,LOL.
Both Philly & the Celtics should have beaten the SouthEast Softees. They wont be back for many a year friends.
:)
Please don't trade JJ! Not only do we retain a good ball facilator and maybe he regains his shooting touch too. And we shut up one of the blow hards on this forum! What a concept!
Darius Washington

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38
Jun 24, 2009
 
Darius Washington Darius Washington Darius Washington is all I have to say.....
sickman

Southport, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#39
Jun 24, 2009
 
Duke of Orlando wrote:
How many more days will the readers have to continue viewing a picture of an LA ball player, when the article is about the Magic?
agreed..what the hell?

“If you say it, back it up”

Since: Jan 08

Ocoee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#40
Jun 25, 2009
 
LMAO wrote:
I have ALL the Tools.
You're a tool alright...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••