Orlando Magic's Dwight Howard pays $8...

Orlando Magic's Dwight Howard pays $8 million for Longwood mans...

There are 14 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Oct 30, 2008, titled Orlando Magic's Dwight Howard pays $8 million for Longwood mans.... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Orlando Magic basketball star Dwight Howard has bought a spacious new house in Seminole County for $8 million -- apparently a record price for a single-family home in a county already known for its ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

doug diggler

Merritt Island, FL

#1 Oct 30, 2008
I wonder how many teachers, firefighters, police officers, or soldiers can afford a house like that. Boy do we have our priorities backwards in this country. This guy gets a house like this and all he does is stuff a ball in a hole.

Too bad our REAL heros don't get paid like this JOKER.
poop on the sidewalk

Clermont, FL

#2 Oct 30, 2008
The Orlando City Council supports what is important to them. Like Rich minority athletes. It makes them feel better.

“You Asked For It”

Since: Nov 07

Rossevelt Roads Naval Base

#3 Oct 30, 2008
Wealth Envy....these last two comments, show what is wrong with this country..why you two go out...ahhh why waist my time... these two jojo's will never get it!
JGJ

Cocoa Beach, FL

#4 Oct 30, 2008
Is it Dwight Howard's fault that he entered a profession where the market rate for an all-star NBA center is about $6 million annually?

If it was you receiving the millions from the Magic and endorsements with Adidas, would you not buy a nice home, too?

I find it funny that so many people are envious those who have wealth. Dwight Howard did nothing wrong or illegal to make his money, so why are you so jealous?

You sound like little school girls, gossiping about the new kid with all of the fancy clothes.

Grow up, become creative, make your own millions.

PS - Teachers and firefighters also know the pay scale before they enter into their given profession, so there really is no room to complain when you are well aware that many "service" jobs do not pay as well as many of us would like.
Richie

Winter Park, FL

#5 Oct 30, 2008
Some people value money. Some people value other things. Have you ever considered that if we paid teachers and police officers more, it would attract more people. I hate that teachers don't get paid more, but so many of them have a passion for it. Could you imagine if someone was just doing it for a job and didn't put their heart and soul into it.
sucker

Boston, MA

#6 Oct 30, 2008
way to overpay for a house in oh-so "prestigious" Seminole County. I hope the Magic don't trade you off to a lower paying team, Howard!
confused

Alpharetta, GA

#7 Oct 30, 2008
When people are ready to pay more in property taxes or find other ways to fund these teachers, police officers or fire fighters then talk to us.

Dwight Howard's salary is paid by the people who choose to support his profession with their own dollars. When people quit going to games, or quit watching TV or quit buying jerseys or shoes or Pepsi or whatever else DH endorses, then his salary will go down.

Are you willing to pull more money out of your pocket to fund your teacher, fireman, police officer, etc? Is your neighbor?
Richie wrote:
Some people value money. Some people value other things. Have you ever considered that if we paid teachers and police officers more, it would attract more people. I hate that teachers don't get paid more, but so many of them have a passion for it. Could you imagine if someone was just doing it for a job and didn't put their heart and soul into it.
Reality Check

Orlando, FL

#8 Oct 30, 2008
I also find the "weath envy" comments laughable.

Do these people listen to music? Do they go to movies? Do they realize that top movie stars make $20 MILLION+ for ONE (1) MOVIE? Some make even more. Musicians can make hundreds of millions of dollars for their "art." Any idea how much Michael Phelps is going to make based on his Olympic performance?$MILLIONS!

And don't blame this on Americans, either. Have you seen what Formula 1 (auto racing) drivers are paid? Or international soccer stars? This "problem" isn't confined to the United States - it's global.

So, before everyone jumps on Dwight's back and pities the fireman or teacher, do some soul searching of your own and decide what price YOU pay for entertainment and what you'd do without it.

“The Truth Can Be Adjusted”

Since: Apr 08

The Great State of Florida

#9 Oct 30, 2008
Reality Check wrote:
Do these people listen to music? Do they go to movies? Do they realize that top movie stars make $20 MILLION+ for ONE (1) MOVIE? Some make even more. Musicians can make hundreds of millions of dollars for their "art." Any idea how much Michael Phelps is going to make based on his Olympic performance?$MILLIONS!
And don't blame this on Americans, either. Have you seen what Formula 1 (auto racing) drivers are paid? Or international soccer stars? This "problem" isn't confined to the United States - it's global.
So, before everyone jumps on Dwight's back and pities the fireman or teacher, do some soul searching of your own and decide what price YOU pay for entertainment and what you'd do without it.
Thank you so much Reality Check, I don't understand these people on here sometimes, this is one of the first things you learn in economics. Demand and Supply, the demand for entertainment with people who have these skills and what your willing to pay for it.

So to Dwight Howard, can I get an invite to the house warming!!
Typical

Bryant, AL

#10 Oct 30, 2008
You would think for that kind of money you would get a decent paint job. It looks like someone threw up on it. :)
doug diggler

Merritt Island, FL

#11 Oct 30, 2008
wow...for all you people dangling from the nut sack of a useless entertainer, i never said I was envious. I'm comfortable with my income. Sounds to me like you all have a problem since you brought it up. I just said our (your) priorities are backwards.
doug diggler

Merritt Island, FL

#12 Oct 30, 2008
Reality Check wrote:
Yes I agree with you, it's not just BASKETBALL players that are undeserving...ITS ALL ATHLETES. Does that help dumb a$$? Swimmers, racecar drivers, golfers, soccer players etc etc etc. All you did was list different athletes. Must be a Republican't.

What price do I pay for entertainment? about $1200. That's how much I paid for my mountain bike. I don't watch sports because it's absolutely meaningless to society. The world series just ended. and? now what? does anybody care? What about the Superbowl last year? and? now what? who cares??

You go stuff that ball down the hole Dwight and please remove your nuts from all these jokers mouths.
Rock

Kampala, Uganda

#13 Mar 28, 2011
I think the problem is not with Dwight Howard, it is with the System...Otherwise, get your "thumb" out of your mouth "Doug Diggler" or whatever your name is and grow up.
Al Luna

United States

#14 Apr 22, 2011
Doug, you're such a hater! If you don't watch sports, that's your business. Nobody cares. Keep your dumb ass coments to yourself! Your a looser, you're probably single or worse even gay! You're the kind of person that craves for attention and you got your fifteeen minutes now enjoy it! I would love to put my foot up your ass, but you would enjoy that, so no go! And if you happen to be a teacher or firefighter, then deal with it...go vote on election day!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dwight Howard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lakers: Should LA Pursue Dwight Howard in Free ... (Apr '16) Aug '16 Sam 4
News Trade with the Houston Rockets (Nov '15) Nov '15 Sam Testicle 2
News Magic's success against Cleveland's one-man sho... (May '09) Jun '15 tom wingo 177
News Jeremy Lin on demotion (Jan '15) Mar '15 mike tirico 13
News NBA Trade Rumors: Jeremy Lin, Omer Asik & Chand... (May '14) Sep '14 cavas 132
News Where Free Agent LeBron James Will Take His Tal... (Jun '14) Jul '14 shenmengxing 2
News Reconnecting with estranged father would comple... (Dec '10) Jul '14 Morganza Man 2
More from around the web