Luol Deng back in starting lineup

Luol Deng back in starting lineup

There are 10 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Nov 29, 2008, titled Luol Deng back in starting lineup. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

In an attempt to jump-start his offense, Bulls coach Vinny Del Negro will return Luol Deng to the starting lineup Sunday against the 76ers .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Since: Aug 08

Springfield, IL

#1 Nov 29, 2008
Deng will probably come around, and again be one of the few at least decent players for the Bulls. Too bad he was allowed to extort Chicago out of $72 Mill. This something for nothing philosophy is so wrong. They should have used that money last offseason or this next on someone else that fit our needs. Maggettee, Boozer, Brand etc. After last year's debacle, I mean come on keeping the quitter, soured culture of that implosion intact with no changes(Gordon/ Deng), I just don't buy that another more crafty and decisive GM could not have done something there just to change that fractured unit. Paxson did nothing. Instead he chose to rely on past mistakes Tyrus Thomas and Joakim Noah both of whom are immature distractions as people. Anyone and their brother could have figured they were draft poison. How about Marc Gasol last year instead of Aaron Gray. What was wrong with him? He's putting up 12 a game with a whopping 56.5 Field goal %. Had the Bulls never heard the name Gasol before? Fire Paxson now, and currycomb the basketball world for a solid scout/orginazation man in a proven franchise like San Antonio for example who knows how to draft some freakin' talent. This boat load of losers isn't a fair crew for the Captain Derrick Rose is proving to be.
jim

Japan

#2 Nov 29, 2008
O.k. Bulls fans. Here's a quiz. Who are these "glowing praises" being lavished on?

I think _____ is the story tonight. Wow, what a player,” Warriors coach Don Nelson said.“Been watching him on film and seeing him on videos, but seeing him in person is another story. Guy’s got the whole package. He looked like Steve Nash out there. Unbelievable performance."

Answer? Former Bull Chris Duhon after 28 assist night.
Excuse me? We were stacked at guards. But to trade such a talent for...? I forget? Nobody again?
Makes you wonder.
“Whether we zoned him, switched him, it didn’t matter. He still found a way to hurt us. Really impressive performance.”
scottie pips

Hayward, CA

#3 Nov 30, 2008
maggette fits our needs? maggette is even worse than deng, and that's saying something.

trade all of these bums before they pollute Derrick and turn him against the franchise.

as for duhon..did you even watch the game? anyone PG in the league could have gotten 20 assists against the warriors tonight. i'm guessing you probably also missed his multiple air balls.
CalChiFan

Irvine, CA

#4 Nov 30, 2008
CentrILMark wrote:
Deng will probably come around, and again be one of the few at least decent players for the Bulls. Fire Paxson now, and currycomb the basketball world for a solid scout/orginazation man in a proven franchise like San Antonio for example who knows how to draft some freakin' talent. This boat load of losers isn't a fair crew for the Captain Derrick Rose is proving to be.
CentrILMark, good post. Only disagree with Deng being a decent player. Depends I guess on how you define decent. Anyway, it is time for Paxson to step down. Not only that but fire the entire scouting crew. The Bulls haven't been able to scout ever since Krause took over.
slluB

Philippines

#5 Nov 30, 2008
Should have spent the money on Josh Smith instead of Deng. Defense, hustle, scoring... That will also free up some spots and trade some unworthy players. That would certainly teach Tyrus how to play this game. Then get Wade on 2010 and some supporting players.. /me continues to dream.
Rod from Tennessee

AOL

#6 Nov 30, 2008
I've never seen an organization that's tried to bend over backwards for one of it's players, any more than the Bulls have for Luol Deng. First of all, Reinsdorf gave him a contract that was actually better than the one he turned down the previous season, when the season he used to try and show his contract value was actually injury riddled and poorer played. Paxson has refused to trade the guy, turning down such inquiries which could have involved the likes of Pau Gasol, and even possibly Kobe Bryant. Now Del Negro is going out of the way to try and find any way possible to improve Deng's game, even to the point of designing special sets, just to allow him some easy scores. Meanwhile, Deng mostly fights off injuries, becomes less and less a valued player, hardly ever is able to practice, but remains the Bulls highest paid player. Seems like the type of moves losing organizations make, so if anyone expects the Bulls to move into the upper echelon with this management team, i say, forget it.
ATLDre

Atlanta, GA

#7 Nov 30, 2008
jim wrote:
O.k. Bulls fans. Here's a quiz. Who are these "glowing praises" being lavished on?
I think _____ is the story tonight. Wow, what a player,” Warriors coach Don Nelson said.“Been watching him on film and seeing him on videos, but seeing him in person is another story. Guy’s got the whole package. He looked like Steve Nash out there. Unbelievable performance."
Answer? Former Bull Chris Duhon after 28 assist night.
Excuse me? We were stacked at guards. But to trade such a talent for...? I forget? Nobody again?
Makes you wonder.
“Whether we zoned him, switched him, it didn’t matter. He still found a way to hurt us. Really impressive performance.”
You can't seriously believe we needed to keep duhon? Check out the style of ball the Knicks now play and the team they played against. GS hasn't played defense in 20 years. Such a talent??Talk about the overstatement of the year..
ATLDre

Atlanta, GA

#8 Nov 30, 2008
Rod from Tennessee wrote:
I've never seen an organization that's tried to bend over backwards for one of it's players, any more than the Bulls have for Luol Deng. First of all, Reinsdorf gave him a contract that was actually better than the one he turned down the previous season, when the season he used to try and show his contract value was actually injury riddled and poorer played. Paxson has refused to trade the guy, turning down such inquiries which could have involved the likes of Pau Gasol, and even possibly Kobe Bryant. Now Del Negro is going out of the way to try and find any way possible to improve Deng's game, even to the point of designing special sets, just to allow him some easy scores. Meanwhile, Deng mostly fights off injuries, becomes less and less a valued player, hardly ever is able to practice, but remains the Bulls highest paid player. Seems like the type of moves losing organizations make, so if anyone expects the Bulls to move into the upper echelon with this management team, i say, forget it.
After hearing Reinsdorf personally negotiated Dengs deal, I wonder how many decisions Pax is actually making? He started out so well and then went 180 on how he rebuilt the team. I think Jerry is sticking his nose in too deep where it doesn't belong.
dils

Lansing, IL

#9 Nov 30, 2008
ATLDre wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't seriously believe we needed to keep duhon? Check out the style of ball the Knicks now play and the team they played against. GS hasn't played defense in 20 years. Such a talent??Talk about the overstatement of the year..
I think what Jim is saying is that almost every player the Bulls let walk, turn out to improve where ever else they go. I don't care if it's a new system or new coach. Pax drafted these players and it's his job to find a coach and system that works with what he has. My God, even Janero Pargo played well after being let go from here! Dre, Hinrich is making 11 mil and is the reason you couln't make any deals in the off season. Pax could've kept Duhon and let Hinrich go.You start to wonder what will happen when Tyrus and Gordon are gone.
Michael P Coy

Oswego, IL

#10 Nov 30, 2008
Counting Dollars is Ole Jerry's game. I'm sure Luol's contract is backloaded until he has his 1st Grandchild.
Paxson was cheap,Vin Delneg Real Cheap, and Gordon Way Cheap. This is the way it will always be with Reiny. The fans would have to stay away in large numbers for a couple of years before you see Jerry make a move.
Jerry wants to be able to walk into a room of fellow owners, any sport, and give them the knowing look that he wins the real game....THE MONEY GAME

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drew Gooden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former Green Bay Packers lose tax-exempt status (Nov '13) Nov '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Painful night for Cavaliers: Fall to Bucks in O... (Feb '12) Feb '12 Freda Johnson 1
News Westbrook leads Thunder past Bucks, 82-81 (Nov '10) Nov '10 SilverSoftcat319 1
News Chicago Bulls Offseason Report: Why No Amare St... (Jul '09) Jul '09 Pierre 1
News Stats bolster Derrick Rose's Rookie of Year case (Apr '09) Apr '09 Tiffany 2
News Trading Places: Chicago Bulls Mid-Season Review (Mar '09) Mar '09 Tiffany 4
News Lindsey Hunter embraces mentoring role with Bulls (Jan '09) Mar '09 Tiffany 20
More from around the web