Hughes' 3 lifts Bulls over Knicks

Larry Hughes hit a tiebreaking 3-pointer with 55 seconds to go Tuesday night and the Chicago Bulls rallied in the fourth quarter for a 105-100 victory over the New York Knicks. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Curt

Palm Desert, CA

#1 Dec 9, 2008
life-long bulls fan...great game tonight. beating the knicks just never seems to get old. what does get old is listening to this play-by-play crew of stacey king and neil funk. these guys are just flat awful...arguing about someone behind the knicks bench and they're taking about two different people? these guys bicker like an old married couple. i can't be the only fan that's tired of these two already. tom dore was soooo much more even keel. they have to get better 'cause they're detracting from my enjoyment of the game. i live in california now and am at the mercy of nba league pass. i wish i could hear swirsky and wennington on the radio. they've got to be better than neil and stacey...
Chris Carr

Chicago, IL

#2 Dec 9, 2008
I was slightly discouraged that Duhon kept taking Rose to the rack, but the rookie stepped up on D and shut him down when it counted! Great stuff right there!

Larry Hughes strikes again, man this guy is clutch!
Roy L

Palatine, IL

#3 Dec 9, 2008
Curt wrote:
life-long bulls fan...great game tonight. beating the knicks just never seems to get old. what does get old is listening to this play-by-play crew of stacey king and neil funk. these guys are just flat awful...arguing about someone behind the knicks bench and they're taking about two different people? these guys bicker like an old married couple. i can't be the only fan that's tired of these two already. tom dore was soooo much more even keel. they have to get better 'cause they're detracting from my enjoyment of the game. i live in california now and am at the mercy of nba league pass. i wish i could hear swirsky and wennington on the radio. they've got to be better than neil and stacey...
Here I thought I was the only one that thought the only thing worse than Gordon's defense were these two guys. They don't even tell you who is in the game because it would interupt their "insightful analysis."
Mike in South Loop

Chicago, IL

#4 Dec 9, 2008
If Chris Duhon was this solid of a NBA point, who fell asleep on the coaching staff. We know he's not an talent like Rose, but he managed to make the players on the floor better.

And that's the golden standard.

http://stillbullishinchicago.blogspot.com/
mack the knife

Beirut, Lebanon

#5 Dec 9, 2008
The moment the Bulls trade their players they step up with another team; Chandler, Duhon. Next it will probably be Thabo. What does it say about the coaching staff? Playing 7-8 players a night means come the spring injuries will pile up, great work....Rose is the key for better days ahead but PLEASE don't break him, he is only 19.....
terry t

Kihei, HI

#6 Dec 10, 2008
duhons' problem was that he had to back-up hinrich. another great move by paxson.
jab

Louisville, KY

#7 Dec 10, 2008
How many games does Hughes have to win for this team before the Hughes "Haters" go find another hobby? He is the Bulls best perimeter defender and the only player on the team who can make plays besides Rose.
32dutch

Chicago, IL

#8 Dec 10, 2008
Bring back Tom Dore. Neil Funk is a radio announcer and his childlike attempt at humor during crucial moments of the game is most annoying and distracting.
Also, time to give some props to
DelNegro.
Private Hudson

United States

#9 Dec 10, 2008
I don't mind Neil Funk at all, but Stacey's gotta go. He's the one instigating all that crap on air and bringing Neil down with him.
tyrone

New York, NY

#10 Dec 10, 2008
Wow, duhon almost had a triple double in a road game. Rose played ok, only half as many assists and rebounds as duhon, and same number of points. But guess you can't expect a first pick in the draft to play better than a second round pick you let go in free agency for nothing. Everyone knows duhon couldn't play for the bulls, and rose is special. Except in the actual game, if you add the hype then of course. Since Rose can't shoot no one is going to guard him close and his little crossover dribble is going to work about as well as gordons post moves. just sayin...
Mgray

Atlanta, GA

#11 Dec 10, 2008
Duhon playing behind Hinrich.....gotta loath the Bulls.
jimmy

New York, NY

#12 Dec 10, 2008
So does being a first pick in the NBA draft mean you don't have to play defense? I know it's not his strength but come on letting duhon beat him off the dribble like that? If he can't play D the bulls are going to have more problems than ever. But at least they can watch Rose go down the lane, that should be fun for a year or two.
John Paxon

United States

#13 Dec 10, 2008
Chris Carr wrote:
I was slightly discouraged that Duhon kept taking Rose to the rack, but the rookie stepped up on D and shut him down when it counted! Great stuff right there!
Larry Hughes strikes again, man this guy is clutch!
Yes, trade him while he has some value. You should be more discouraged that it is going to take 2 years to remove the garbarge from this team to build around DRose. In the next 2 years the Bulls are going to dump the following salaries:

Your boy Hughes along with Gooden and Gordon.

Trades: Noch, Thomas and Noah (Via Trade)

They are going to be stuck wth those crappy contracts for Deng and Hinrich so that be good news to you since again you like sub par teams.
Now Wait a Minute

Munster, IN

#14 Dec 10, 2008
I agree that the Bulls should not have let Duhon go. They should have left Gordon go! Duhon is an intelligent player who knows how to dish. True, he would take a beating against taller guards and has.
Gordon has no basketball intelligence- just a hot streak in scoring sometimes. I wanted to jump out of the chair and kick the screen with the number of times Gordon took shots with 10 to 15 seconds left on the shot clock and no one under the boards. what a selfish piece of ego.
as i've said before, he never would have been more than a seventh or eighth guy on the roster back in the 1900's.
seriously

Melrose, MA

#15 Dec 10, 2008
duhon is still bad, everyone. his per minute averages are hardly better than when he was on the bulls, and pace adjusted, i'd be surprised if they're better at all. he has a few good games a year and this was one. believe me, when he was bricking 3s at the end of the game i was glad he was on the other team.

tyrone, you are comparing rose and duhon? rose's jumpshot has looked fine to me. rose is a 19 year old rookie who will only get better. rose had no one behind him to play help defense. maybe if tyrus had actually played (against a team that would play to his strengths) there'd be some help down there. tyrus needs guidance, and sitting on the bench isn't helping him. he had finally been coming out of his slump and promptly rewarded with a DNP.

oh well. the knicks are terrible, but our team needs some serious help. and not in the form of duhon.
PLS

AOL

#16 Dec 10, 2008
mack the knife wrote:
The moment the Bulls trade their players they step up with another team; Chandler, Duhon. Next it will probably be Thabo. What does it say about the coaching staff? Playing 7-8 players a night means come the spring injuries will pile up, great work....Rose is the key for better days ahead but PLEASE don't break him, he is only 19.....
Duhon has a nice numbers game (despite putting up some god-awful shots in crunch time) and now he's "the one that got away"?? Sounds like a little revisionist history.

Duhon was a second-rounder and a role player because he's a limited player. He's not a good shooter (around 38% during his Bulls tenure) and he gets posted up pretty easily. That's why the only team interested in giving him a starting role was one of the three worst teams in the league. The good teams who wanted him only saw him as a backup.

This doesn't mean he isn't a good role player. But he'll only ever be a starting PG on a crap team, which is the case here.

And don't be fooled by the lofty assist numbers. That's driven more by the D'Antoni offense they run and Du's numbers pale in comparison to Nash's. If Rose ran that offense, he'd easily be averaging double-digit dimes a night while shooting over 50%(Du is at 42%, a career high -- yay!).

Hinrich played ahead of him here because, despite Hinrich's limitations, he was a better 1v1 defender and typically drew the other team's best guard. He was also a slightly better shooter. Du was also very good at running the second team, so it was a good fit.

In terms of Chandler, his new team is obviously a better fit. He's not expected to do more than he's capable of, and he gets a chance to feed off of a world-class PG. He had too many ups and downs with the Bulls and seemed to shrink from the level of expectations.

But, really, I always find it silly when people say that players the Bulls dump go on to greater success. Who else are we talking about? Crawford and Curry? Two lynchpins in the demise of a once-great franchise? ERob? Dalibor? Khalid El-Amin? Josh Smith? Who are all these all-stars the Bulls gave up on?

To me, the one I have regrets for is Brand. That was clearly a mistake, but I don't think it was because they "gave up" on him. Krause simply outwitted himself. I have no regrets about Artest. Can't think of anyone else.
PLS

AOL

#17 Dec 10, 2008
jab wrote:
How many games does Hughes have to win for this team before the Hughes "Haters" go find another hobby? He is the Bulls best perimeter defender and the only player on the team who can make plays besides Rose.
Right. "How many games does Hughes have to win for this team before the Hughes 'Haters' go find another hobby?" I'll say more than two. More than two over an 82-game season would be nice. Though I'm not sure how you credit a guy who was 6-14 from the field with a "win." Kind of like Marquis giving up 4 runs in 5 innings and getting the win. Kind of dubious.

And seeing as how Hughes is the highest paid Bulls player and the most seasoned veteran, I would hope he'd be the best on the team at something. And by "best perimeter defender" you mean gambling for steals, then, yes, he's surely the best at that. He's also made a couple of big shots at the end of games, though, without going back and watching tape, I'd assume he's missed way more than he's made. Which is why the fact he's made a couple is such a big deal. Now if he had made those big shots against a really good team, other than Utah's B-team and, well, the Knicks, then maybe there'd be reason for you and him to puff out your chests.

So, if it's okay, I'm gonna go right on hating on Little Shot Larry. Once his expiring-contract remains are sold to a willing partner as the second act of his "garbage out-garbage in" deal, the better off the Bulls will be.
dils

United States

#18 Dec 10, 2008
tyrone wrote:
Wow, duhon almost had a triple double in a road game. Rose played ok, only half as many assists and rebounds as duhon, and same number of points. But guess you can't expect a first pick in the draft to play better than a second round pick you let go in free agency for nothing. Everyone knows duhon couldn't play for the bulls, and rose is special. Except in the actual game, if you add the hype then of course. Since Rose can't shoot no one is going to guard him close and his little crossover dribble is going to work about as well as gordons post moves. just sayin...
Dude what are you saying?? Rose doesn't have a jumpshot? It looks good to me. I think Rose needs to start being more aggressive but outside of that he's fine.
dils

United States

#19 Dec 10, 2008
jab wrote:
Jab I watched that game last night and what I saw is a guy in Hughes that had to have taken likke 10 shots in the second quarter when he got in the game. When he came in the Bulls were up 10. When he left the game was tied. He took some God-awful shots in that game and it's the reason he's been on a million teams. The shot he did hit toward the end is the type of shots he should be shooting.. In the flow of the offense.
ATLDre

Atlanta, GA

#20 Dec 10, 2008
terry t wrote:
duhons' problem was that he had to back-up hinrich. another great move by paxson.
Duhon is playing in a run and gun system. Look what it did for Steve Nash. Any decent pg numbers would inflate under this system. People loved watching Phoenix but with all their talent, this system never got them to the finals. Kirk would put up great numbers in this system also.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drew Gooden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Former Green Bay Packers lose tax-exempt status (Nov '13) Nov '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
Painful night for Cavaliers: Fall to Bucks in O... (Feb '12) Feb '12 Freda Johnson 1
Westbrook leads Thunder past Bucks, 82-81 (Nov '10) Nov '10 SilverSoftcat319 1
Chicago Bulls Offseason Report: Why No Amare St... (Jul '09) Jul '09 Pierre 1
Stats bolster Derrick Rose's Rookie of Year case (Apr '09) Apr '09 Tiffany 2
Trading Places: Chicago Bulls Mid-Season Review (Mar '09) Mar '09 Tiffany 4
Lindsey Hunter embraces mentoring role with Bulls (Jan '09) Mar '09 Tiffany 20
More from around the web