Bulls stumble down stretch yet again

There are 13 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 27, 2008, titled Bulls stumble down stretch yet again. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Joe Johnson scored a season-high 41 points, Josh Smith also set a season high with 24, and the Atlanta Hawks withstood Ben Gordon's 3-point barrage to beat the Bulls 129-117 on Saturday night.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Florida Jim

Orlando, FL

#22 Dec 28, 2008
Until the team realizes EVERY trip on offense must result in a BASKET and EVERY trip on defense must result in a STOP this team will go nowhere. The players, except for Rose and ,sometimes, Nocioni, lack the mental toughness for the professional game, at it's best. They seem to believe "oh, well it is a long game and we can make up for misplays, later", sadly, this a loser's attitude and by the time Gordon, Thomas, Noah, Hughes, Sefo, Heinrich , Gray realize this their careers will be over and they will look back with regret.
I do not know if Vinny understands this since he never played with this knd of desire every play, they become lazy quickly.
I have played thousands of playground games and won with the "never-say-die" attitude, against much better, although lazy, players.
Now Wait a Minute

Munster, IN

#23 Dec 28, 2008
I'll make it easy:
low iq players
ignorant coach
overmatched gm

a few weeks ago i looked forward to watching just to see rose. why bother as he has not one player on the roster capable of understanding how to play as a team.
i stopped watching. do you hear that advertisers?
Wisconsin Reader

Superior, WI

#24 Dec 28, 2008
Watching the Bulls play "defense" last night against the Hawks was really men versus boys underneath the basket... There are Chicago Public League teams with bigger and stronger front lines than the Bulls!... Paxson sent the Bulls into this season with great outside shooting and easily the worst power forward/center players in the League... The Hawks had guys off the bench who are better than the Bulls starting big men (including Gooden and Deng who are injured and did not play.)
brandon

Burlington, IL

#25 Dec 28, 2008
Derek Rose is the only player that matters on this team. He is great and the Bulls have to build around him. Who cares what happens this season becuase the guys Rose is playing with won't be there next year, two years, three years, etc., when the bulls are ready to be legitimate Eastern Conference contenders. When the Bulls are ready to make a push, we won't have to worry about the likes of Tyrus, Noah, Hughes, etc,. They're garbage players who only care about themselves
Rod from Tennessee

AOL

#26 Dec 28, 2008
Excuses, excuses. Same old story, just another chapter. The Bulls are a bunch of me players whose one concern is, how much money can I earn on my next contract. When players look around and see a guy who ability wise, shouldn't even be a starter, in Luol Deng get paid 70 mil. dollars, they get the attitude of hey, what about me. Every year that goes by, Paxson ruins this team a little bit more. When it comes to yearly ineptude, you have the Clippers, followed very closely by "Your Chicago Bulls".
Isiah Rider

Crystal Lake, IL

#27 Dec 28, 2008
florida bear wrote:
Just a note to number # 15,gordon`s going to want deng money,do you think that 70 mill. was well spent?
I'll answer for 15; no, the Deng contract amounts to throwing money down a sewer; not a lot of return on your investment. Gordon is worth a negotiation session but Paxson has worked himself into a heckuva corner/bind with the Hinrich and Deng contracts, two overpaid guys ... Deng especially so with the guy being so soft, settling for jump shots, reluctant to go to the rim, inability to play with aggression block shots, rebound, etc., etc. Who was holding a gun to Paxson's head on these contracts? If no one was, these deals are evidence of horribly inept GM activity and money management by a franchise whose owner is known for being among the great penny-pinchers of all times. In baseball, Reinsdorf's executives (that's what they call Kenny Williams) are known for their rent-a-contract and buy-them-cheap, seen-better-years-in-the-past acquisition philosophy. In the NBA, they just give away money to guys like Deng and Hinrich. Go figure ....
Quinn Buckner

Crystal Lake, IL

#28 Dec 28, 2008
Wisconsin Reader wrote:
Watching the Bulls play "defense" last night against the Hawks was really men versus boys underneath the basket... There are Chicago Public League teams with bigger and stronger front lines than the Bulls!... Paxson sent the Bulls into this season with great outside shooting and easily the worst power forward/center players in the League... The Hawks had guys off the bench who are better than the Bulls starting big men (including Gooden and Deng who are injured and did not play.)
Heck, Chicago Public League has bigger and stronger front lines than the Bulls. Try going down to West Madison a couple of blocks away from the UC during the summer ... there are guys on the street who are bigger, certainly tougher, more athletic than these sissies on the Bulls. The last play of last night's game says it all: Gray lets a Hawks player stroll into the lane and power slam it and he doesn't lay a hand on the guy. In the old days .... Jerry Sloan and Norm Van Lier, the Bulls guards, would have taken the guy's head off on either that play or later in the game. The current Bulls are weak sisters and afraid of their own shadows. They have zero interior defense; they have zero intimidation; they have a gigantic yellow streak painted on their backs.
BullySixChicago

Corsicana, TX

#29 Dec 28, 2008
Maunakea Rick wrote:
I am a life long Chicago sports fan. I get every Bull, Bear, and Cub game on my TV and, indeed, watch them. I have watched the Bulls through their glory years and through the terrible years, but there is something different this year. The team is vanilla, the announcers are dull and monotone, and the fan base is uninspired. Vinny seems like a nice enough guy, but choosing him and the "college of coaches" over DiAntoni was a grave error. Here is the point. I no longer watch the team anymore. I thought that would never happen. Watch a game and listen to the broadcasters. It no longer feels like an event of any kind. I am interested to hear how many of you feel the same.
Wow I watch the Bulls, Bears and Cubs and it seems that all 3 have disappointed us, the so call stars of the teams play like cat do do when it counts, the Cubs wow what can I say about the last 2 years on each sweep? The Bears man just cat do do this season away, How long are we to watch this cat do do offense? The Bulls another story, we are atleast 2 players away i mean 2 major players not just a big post player like most are whinning for, leadership dont see it on the Bulls, nowhere I see Larry Hughes whinning abbout more time, I see noah ( who needs to get a damn haircut) and work on his game I mean I see no improvement in his game from last year non whatsoever on offense, Thomas I cry every time he takes that jump shot and again where is his post game? Sure we are lost in the NBA how many first round picks have we had in the first 10 picks? Chandler whew we gave away for a nothing ben wallace, eddy glad we gave the dough boy to the knicks Elton Brand, and ron artest and brad miller hmmm who called those shots?
BullySixChicago

Corsicana, TX

#30 Dec 28, 2008
Quinn Buckner wrote:
<quoted text> Heck, Chicago Public League has bigger and stronger front lines than the Bulls. Try going down to West Madison a couple of blocks away from the UC during the summer ... there are guys on the street who are bigger, certainly tougher, more athletic than these sissies on the Bulls. The last play of last night's game says it all: Gray lets a Hawks player stroll into the lane and power slam it and he doesn't lay a hand on the guy. In the old days .... Jerry Sloan and Norm Van Lier, the Bulls guards, would have taken the guy's head off on either that play or later in the game. The current Bulls are weak sisters and afraid of their own shadows. They have zero interior defense; they have zero intimidation; they have a gigantic yellow streak painted on their backs.
I dont think you have to go way back to norm and jerry's days you can go as far back as dennis rodman you think he MJ and Pip would not have put the hammer on that clown, and the heat coach calling that time out with 30 seconds left shi(r)t I am sure in those last 30 seconds some one would have nail somebody with the ball
Trent Tucker

Crystal Lake, IL

#31 Dec 28, 2008
BullySixChicago wrote:
<quoted text>I dont think you have to go way back to norm and jerry's days you can go as far back as dennis rodman you think he MJ and Pip would not have put the hammer on that clown, and the heat coach calling that time out with 30 seconds left shi(r)t I am sure in those last 30 seconds some one would have nail somebody with the ball
Yes, come to think of it, you're right, plus in addition to Dennis they had that wigged out center on one of their championship teams who later unfortunately met an early demise. He was a space cadet, but he was excellent while the Bulls had him. He was a guy who protected the paint and also had a post-up game; he only was on the Bullies for about one season though.
Tiffany

United States

#32 Dec 28, 2008
bulls been strugglin so its understandable
Nada Surf

Aurora, IL

#33 Dec 28, 2008
Maunakea Rick wrote:
I am a life long Chicago sports fan. I get every Bull, Bear, and Cub game on my TV and, indeed, watch them. I have watched the Bulls through their glory years and through the terrible years, but there is something different this year. The team is vanilla, the announcers are dull and monotone, and the fan base is uninspired. Vinny seems like a nice enough guy, but choosing him and the "college of coaches" over DiAntoni was a grave error. Here is the point. I no longer watch the team anymore. I thought that would never happen. Watch a game and listen to the broadcasters. It no longer feels like an event of any kind. I am interested to hear how many of you feel the same.
I'm with you!
This team is unwatchable which is why I refer to them as the Un-watcha-Bulls...
I only keep the game on if they are playing the younger guys --Sefalosha, Thomas and Gray--since they are the only hopes for improvement...
Gooden and Gordon won't be here next season so there is no reason to waste time and play them.
Hughes will only be around until next season when he can be dealt away because of his contract. In the meantime, he should be a commentator in the stands or just a practice body.
Anything but put him out on the playing floor.
The entire NBA is wretched to me now. The regular season is a joke. It's too long and the game has deteriorated since the implementation of the 3-point shot.
johnnycomelately

United States

#34 Dec 29, 2008
brandon wrote:
Derek Rose is the only player that matters on this team. He is great and the Bulls have to build around him. Who cares what happens this season becuase the guys Rose is playing with won't be there next year, two years, three years, etc., when the bulls are ready to be legitimate Eastern Conference contenders. When the Bulls are ready to make a push, we won't have to worry about the likes of Tyrus, Noah, Hughes, etc,. They're garbage players who only care about themselves
What's this obession with Rose? You could put him with Kobe, an nothing would change. He makes no one around him better. Plays no defense. He looks to shoot first or pass to gordon on the perimeter, but little to the big guys. He plays no defense. He is frequently torched, see detroit pg and joe johnson, both with over 40 points from the guard spot. But it's the big guys who are criticized, when they are having to leave their man to try an defend a driving guard in the lane. Until they establish a low post game, nothing will change.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drew Gooden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former Green Bay Packers lose tax-exempt status (Nov '13) Nov '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Painful night for Cavaliers: Fall to Bucks in O... (Feb '12) Feb '12 Freda Johnson 1
News Westbrook leads Thunder past Bucks, 82-81 (Nov '10) Nov '10 SilverSoftcat319 1
News Chicago Bulls Offseason Report: Why No Amare St... (Jul '09) Jul '09 Pierre 1
News Stats bolster Derrick Rose's Rookie of Year case (Apr '09) Apr '09 Tiffany 2
News Trading Places: Chicago Bulls Mid-Season Review (Mar '09) Mar '09 Tiffany 4
News Lindsey Hunter embraces mentoring role with Bulls (Jan '09) Mar '09 Tiffany 20
More from around the web