Bulls stumble down stretch yet again

Bulls stumble down stretch yet again

There are 33 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 27, 2008, titled Bulls stumble down stretch yet again. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Joe Johnson scored a season-high 41 points, Josh Smith also set a season high with 24, and the Atlanta Hawks withstood Ben Gordon's 3-point barrage to beat the Bulls 129-117 on Saturday night.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Dec 08

Winnetka

#1 Dec 27, 2008
And yet another loss...I wonder if the Bulls will ever learn how to play defense...I wonder if the Bulls will ever be able to sign a big time star in the future...I wonder why the heck John Paxson still has a job...
Maunakea Rick

Des Moines, IA

#2 Dec 27, 2008
I am a life long Chicago sports fan. I get every Bull, Bear, and Cub game on my TV and, indeed, watch them. I have watched the Bulls through their glory years and through the terrible years, but there is something different this year. The team is vanilla, the announcers are dull and monotone, and the fan base is uninspired. Vinny seems like a nice enough guy, but choosing him and the "college of coaches" over DiAntoni was a grave error. Here is the point. I no longer watch the team anymore. I thought that would never happen. Watch a game and listen to the broadcasters. It no longer feels like an event of any kind. I am interested to hear how many of you feel the same.
Tom

Westmont, IL

#3 Dec 27, 2008
While he didn't say as much, Nocioni's comments seem to suggest that it is "others" that are not playing defense. Well, he should look in the mirror first, as he blew numerous defensive assignments tonight. Before he starts complaining about others not being committed to defense, he needs to get his own house in order.

Both Gordon and Rose had good solid games, as did Thomas. It's good to see Thomas getting more under control and consistent. All that additional work he is doing is starting to pay off.
slimer

Bartlett, IL

#4 Dec 27, 2008
it's funny how andres "no-pass" nocioni is now the spokesperson and he starts talking about D and just last week talked about "sharing" the ball ... if you noticed, everytime he gets the ball, he shoots or drives to the basket .. he rarely passes it back to the PG. There was actually one replay where they showed him shooting when Rose was double teamed and when Rose passed to him, you knew he wanted to shoot and he did (and missed) while on the far left, Gordon (who had the hot hand) was SO open .. if he only made that extra pass .. but, that's Noce .. always whining when he gets a foul and now he is wondering why there is no ball rotation .. way to go Noce!!
Ross

Highland Park, IL

#5 Dec 27, 2008
I am tired of watching them too! It's a three star league, you need three great players to win, we have one with that potential (Rose) and that's it. Gordon, Deng,Noce and Thomas are good guys to have, but we need a real power forward and a center that can run a little.
Cheech

San Dimas, CA

#6 Dec 27, 2008
It's pro basketball...does anyone really care?
Larry

Olympia Fields, IL

#8 Dec 27, 2008
I don't care what players are missing, for a team to play defense like that is a disgrace and is reflective of coaching and if the Bulls are smart they will replace this coach and hire a coach like Van Gundy or someone like him who would require his team to play defense.
Larry

Olympia Fields, IL

#9 Dec 27, 2008
Great point!! Nocioni takes terrible shots and have the gall to complain what a terrible team.
slimer wrote:
it's funny how andres "no-pass" nocioni is now the spokesperson and he starts talking about D and just last week talked about "sharing" the ball ... if you noticed, everytime he gets the ball, he shoots or drives to the basket .. he rarely passes it back to the PG. There was actually one replay where they showed him shooting when Rose was double teamed and when Rose passed to him, you knew he wanted to shoot and he did (and missed) while on the far left, Gordon (who had the hot hand) was SO open .. if he only made that extra pass .. but, that's Noce .. always whining when he gets a foul and now he is wondering why there is no ball rotation .. way to go Noce!!
Larry

Olympia Fields, IL

#10 Dec 27, 2008
I agree with your observation on Nocioni but Ben Gordon was getting torched on defense. Gordon can't guard anyone and if you can't play defense I don't care how many points you score you can't say Gordon had a solid games.
Tom wrote:
While he didn't say as much, Nocioni's comments seem to suggest that it is "others" that are not playing defense. Well, he should look in the mirror first, as he blew numerous defensive assignments tonight. Before he starts complaining about others not being committed to defense, he needs to get his own house in order.
Both Gordon and Rose had good solid games, as did Thomas. It's good to see Thomas getting more under control and consistent. All that additional work he is doing is starting to pay off.
Mel

Chicago, IL

#11 Dec 27, 2008
The Bulls are a definite case of working harder not smarter. I'm still encouraged. The effort is still very much there but the coordinated defensive communication is still negligible. With a team with no size if these guys don't talk to one another individual one on one defense is useless. When was the last time any Bull has taken a charge? The Bulls have all the talent in the world but if there is no desire to play team defense then the only question is what number will their lottery selection be.
HKT

United States

#12 Dec 27, 2008
Noch said the same damn thing a few weeks back and nothing has changed.
Tiffany

United States

#13 Dec 27, 2008
atlanta is a better team than the bulls but some how they managed to get that w
Dean

Libertyville, IL

#14 Dec 27, 2008
"It's definitely not the effort," coach Vinny Del Negro said.

Apparently Vinny was watching a different game. He has to stop enabling these guys and start lighting a fire under them. Every game he says they are trying, but they are getting beat to loose balls, they're playing soft defensively, they can't block out on the boards and are letting guys drive right down the lane.

They are not a fun team to watch. They certainly don't show pride in wearing the red and black. Pax, it's your move. Make it soon.
nordis

Willowbrook, IL

#15 Dec 28, 2008
please re-sign ben gordon, he'll leave the bulls and put up 25 a night. as for the announcers, stacy king and funk are hilarious together, wayne larivee was the biggest cornball on the planet. the bull have to play better defense. our scoring backcourt gives up a lot of size. keep gray in there more, he takes up space and tyrus can block shots behind him. we have to add some length and strenght, there's only so much you can do when your starters are so short. gordon may be bad on defense, but rose has to step it up too!
terry t

Lahaina, HI

#16 Dec 28, 2008
someone tell paxson that it is 911. no more excuses. it is time to pull the trigger. the bulls are the laughingstock of the nba. time for the reinforcements. no more aaron gray. no more noah. time to get some ballers in here. you can't expect guards to defend everyone. get nocioni out of there. how can a benchwarmer call out the starters! this is unreal. nocioni can't play his way out of a paper bag. what a joke. get camby over here now or else.
Larry

Crystal Lake, IL

#17 Dec 28, 2008
nocioni is one of the culprets who gets the ball and will shoot and miss more times than he passes. in watching the last two games, you'd think paxson had the wool pulled over his eyes with this team and paxsons hands are tied. you got a joker who cant catch, rebound or shoot playing in the nba. you got players that will do better elsewhere, such as Tyrus, Larry, Trainwreck, Deng, Nocioni, gordon. got to feel bad for the kid though. he's doing everything he can. maybe its time for him to demand some changes, but he's to nice of a kid.
michael p coy

Oswego, IL

#18 Dec 28, 2008
After watching the Heat game I sure am glad I missed this one.
Hey all you ticket holders do the team a favor and stay home.
Jerry hates it when you don't put money in his pocket and that's when you'll see changes........
florida bear

Saint Augustine, FL

#19 Dec 28, 2008
If we had learned anything in chicago,to contend and win a championship,you must play DEFENSE!It`s not easy,it`s hard work,it takes away from you offensively but to win on road you have to do it.Ya,it`s coachable but it takes instinct and chemistry and a leader in practice as well as the games.This team is a bunch of misfits and what you see is what you get,13 and 17 and getting worse.
florida bear

Saint Augustine, FL

#20 Dec 28, 2008
Just a note to number # 15,gordon`s going to want deng money,do you think that 70 mill. was well spent?
Brian

Lombard, IL

#21 Dec 28, 2008
Start making trades, Gordon, needs to go, he plays no defense, deng, why did they sign him for big money, paxton--- again plays no defense, he needs to go. lol, fire Vinnie he dont belong.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Drew Gooden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former Green Bay Packers lose tax-exempt status (Nov '13) Nov '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Painful night for Cavaliers: Fall to Bucks in O... (Feb '12) Feb '12 Freda Johnson 1
News Westbrook leads Thunder past Bucks, 82-81 (Nov '10) Nov '10 SilverSoftcat319 1
News Chicago Bulls Offseason Report: Why No Amare St... (Jul '09) Jul '09 Pierre 1
News Stats bolster Derrick Rose's Rookie of Year case (Apr '09) Apr '09 Tiffany 2
News Trading Places: Chicago Bulls Mid-Season Review (Mar '09) Mar '09 Tiffany 4
News Lindsey Hunter embraces mentoring role with Bulls (Jan '09) Mar '09 Tiffany 20
More from around the web