No help in sight, so Heat must help itself

There are 18 comments on the Dec 16, 2007, South Florida Sun-Sentinel story titled No help in sight, so Heat must help itself. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Sweeping change may yet arrive for the Heat in the form of a trade. But it won't come with any dramatic new approach with what already is in place.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Charles_07

Montréal, Canada

#43 Dec 17, 2007
mike wrote:
Seriously, its very frustrating to see how Riley chops and changes and even breaks a winning team.
Last week when we won against Phoenix, we had a balanced team, everyone played their roles well. The "rookies" Dorell and Quinn showed a lot of maturity by not forcing turnovers and playing relatively better defense consistently.
What Riley does next is to break the team right in the next game, God knows why, and we are back to square one. He says we need shooters, I say we need identity. For the last time RILES if you want us to do well, stop teams from getting 100 points. And to do that you must stick to the defensive lineup, and "stick to Wright". I know there are lots of people here who dont like Wright at all, but he is the only one amongst rookies who has been given the stick up his behind. Riley asked him to focus on defense and not worry about offense, and then just shortchange him during game time. And some people here think he cant shoot. But if you observe the manner Wright shoots (and there are many college level coaches, analysts who also agree), he has a pretty neat stroke and follow through, definitely to be around a 45% FG shooter.
But you cant develop a guy at 22 if you play mind games and bench him for every little mistake, if Wright is given the opportunity to play consistent 30 minutes every game, he may well become a 16 pts and 10 rebound guy by end of this year.
Just compare the FG% of wright and the rest of the players:
Wright : 48.2%
Ricky Davis : 43.7%
J Will : 40.2%
U Haslem : 47.7%
M Blount : 32.7%
D Wade : 46.2%
D Cook : 44.3%
Now by no means am I slating D cook and D wade, They are our present and future, but for real guys, mark my words, in 3-4 years, Wright will be a 20 pts and 10 rebound machine, and if we trade him we will regret for a long long time.
I finally agree with u Riley is acting like he doesn`t know what he is doing or what to do! only plays 2 or 3 guys from the bench and somehow it`s never the good combination! Wright and Quinn aren`t rookies, wright has been on the team since he was 18 but Riley not liking to play rookies is starting to know he has to play his bench more and get his stars some rest! Wright CAN SHOOT! he is a good shot blocker and rebounder. Quinn plays Way better defense then J WIll with steals and deflections and all and I don`t think i am the only one that noticed that when J-WIll is coming off the bench he is more agressive and WE WIN! the two games we won on the road quinn started, the last game we won at home vs the bobcats quinn started, he doesn`t make turnovers almost never!!! Riley is messing up, we don`t have the best team ever but we have a good team and it is way better then it looks! Everybody says shaq is finished well he is 36 obviously on the downside of his career but find me another 36 year old that is doubled every single night! NONE! plus ht dominates every team that doesn`t double him that beeing the ones with centers that can take him like orlando or phoenix! PLZ ppl stop blaming the big fella cause if at his stage u expect him to carry ANY team then u have a problem even if he still shoots 70% at home! all the other guys have to step up and RILES NEED TO PLAY HIS BENCH AND MAKE PLAYS FOR EVERYBODY, do ur job as a hall of fame coach that u are Riles!
Charles_07

Montréal, Canada

#44 Dec 17, 2007
the starting line up should be : Quinn Wade Wright haslem and yes Shaq,. guys played of the bench , J-WILL(when he decides to be consistent) Cook, Davis, ZO and he should decide for Blout or Barron cause Haslem can`t play 45 minutes a game all season! QUINN and WRIGHT can bring the perimeter defense that the team needs. Wade needs to pick it up a notch on defense, cause when the perimeter is well defended shaq doesn`t pick up silly fouls! J WIll doens`t defend Quinn does I mean is it a coincidence that when he played Nash he had a night off but when J Will did it looked like they were 5 on 4 on miami on the floor! lOl Nba analyst will love that ! but seriously, we have a capable team but their general need to come up with a better strategy and stops confusing both his players and fans by changing the line -up almost everygame and speacially a winning one!
Charles_07

Montréal, Canada

#45 Dec 17, 2007
ron rothestein wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah he can shoot, but the problem is he can't pass, he can't drive to the basket and finish, and he definitely can't defend those quick black guys, which is a big problem!!!
u dunno what u talking about and also he has been better on the defense then any of our perimeter players except maybe D Wright!
ron rothestein

Jupiter, FL

#46 Dec 17, 2007
Charles_07 wrote:
<quoted text>
u dunno what u talking about and also he has been better on the defense then any of our perimeter players except maybe D Wright!
Ha, Did you see the lay ups Quinn missed in the fouth quarter??? That lil white boy can't play wiyh the big dogs!
Julio

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#47 Dec 17, 2007
P.J. BROWN.......... PLEASE OPEN EYES !!!!!!!!!!
c-bird

Bristol, TN

#48 Dec 17, 2007
EEE wrote:
I Tthink that it would help if pat would start the younger guys. I personally would start wade, cook, wright, zo, and haslem. I would see how long zo can take it. Let him play the first 5 or 6 minutes of the game, that would help preserve shaq from picking up those early fouls. I also think that it"s time for shaq to realize that he has had his time to dominate. It"s time to pass the baton. Shaq has always been a good passer,and able to make decent decisions. When shaq is in the game I would feed it in to him and allow him to facilitate, that way you keep him happy. I would play cook, and wright at least 30 minutes a piece. Most of the league likes to run and you have to have people on the court that can keep up. I would allow cook and wade to move off of screens to get open for the shot. Riley needs to at least run 10 plays a game for cook, everything that he's getting those aren't plays designed for him. I love dcook he went to my high school he has always been about the team and always plays hard. People have yet to see what dcook is all about.
your right on except the shaq part he said all along that this is wades team and yes he is a great passer but they hardley ever pass him the ball if they would they could win alot more games.shaqs not going to have 30 points and 15 rebounds a game anymore because of age but he can still be in the top 5 centers out there they did win a ring going through shaq ,and wade still got his 30 a night so why not still do that instead of jump shoots all night long?and shaqs foul problems are because teammates dont gaurd.rily is the problem here
Minorkle

Lake Forest, CA

#49 Jan 4, 2008
A man is not a piece of fruit, the pulp to be eaten and the skin tossed away
ACE

Boca Raton, FL

#50 Dec 17, 2008
WHY ARE ALL THESE COMMENTS FROM 2007, OVER ONE YEAR AGO?
IT'S 2008 - NOT 2007. HELLO...
mydrick taylor

Miami, FL

#51 Dec 17, 2008
yeah coach eric is a great teacher and i think thats what will make him well known inn this league if the heat just help him out and make him lookm good he will be up for coach of the year awards
Bullshark

Hialeah, FL

#52 Dec 17, 2008
Let's trade Shaq to Phoenix for Shawn Marion! Whaddya say, guys?
G Blaster

Oceanside, CA

#53 Dec 17, 2008
I can't respect a coach who has a "hairdo"
G Blaster

Oceanside, CA

#54 Dec 17, 2008
The Shaq trade was a bust. Miami is paying more this year for Banks & Marion tan the Suns are paying Shaq.

Suns seem to have gottent the better of the deal.
Clarencex13

Boca Raton, FL

#55 Dec 17, 2008
wow spoelstra is demanding and the "boss" who the heck did he play for and how good was he? oh yeah he didn't play but his dad was a GM with some nba team and he is Riley's boy so he gets the job. If I was a nba player like wade I would tell that guy to go F himself what the hell does he know????? Spoelstra put on a jersey and show us how it's done.
alex

Miami, FL

#56 Dec 17, 2008
ACE wrote:
WHY ARE ALL THESE COMMENTS FROM 2007, OVER ONE YEAR AGO?
IT'S 2008 - NOT 2007. HELLO...
To show us how good (or much better)we are now (team's record).
Hindsight

Miami, FL

#57 Dec 17, 2008
G Blaster wrote:
The Shaq trade was a bust. Miami is paying more this year for Banks & Marion tan the Suns are paying Shaq.
Suns seem to have gottent the better of the deal.
center: Shaq/canadian guys
PF: haslem/beasley/Wright
SF: Beasley/JJ/Diawara
SG: Wade/Cook/JJ
PG: Chalmers/Quinn
More solid core of guys, who would know their role, instead of this ridiculous undersized/undertalented line up.
Hindsight

Miami, FL

#58 Dec 17, 2008
With the above lineup we would at least be #3 in the east behind boston and cleveland
Yasha J Banana

Boca Raton, FL

#59 Dec 17, 2008
Hoo boy, this Eric Spo-whatever ... is some feency-schmancy coach!

He yells, he walks up and down the court, he wears a nice suit.

The thing is, though, does he make any touchdowns? Or is it homers?

Such a nice goy -- he can't make a living selling haberdashery?

Also ... what's with this fellow Dwayne Wade? All this running, tumbling, jumping, spritzing! Do you think I'd do such a thing?
OK, so I'm 96 years old, but still if a man in a nice suit tells me to run and jump and tumble and spritz -- I'm going to listen to him? Of course not! So why should you, Mister Dwayne Wade.

Listen, you have somem money, Mr. Wade, you make a nice living./ Now is the time to slow down. Get the ball, pass it off, why worry?-- let someone else crash into the first row.

Listen now, I know what I'm talking about, I haven't crashed into anything for over 50 years. And that includes my next door neighbor Molly back in Brooklyn Heights in the early 40s.

So, listen, Dwayne, Eric -- stop the pacing, the running, the tumbling and the kvetching and reopen The Rascal House, you'll make a fortune.

Such a nice easy life. All day long you relax. You sit, you talk, you do and you'll make.

"Your welcome" in advance,

Yash
josh jr

Boca Raton, FL

#60 Dec 17, 2008
wade needs to be traded to the pacers for danny granger. Dans the best guy in the nba right now wade needs to get his act together or he'll be traded for sure
i really would like that trad dawgy g unit peace!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dorell Wright Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Doug Collins decides on future with 76ers (Apr '13) Apr '13 Shiftie 2
News The Sixth Man: Bynum looks at home in Philly (Aug '12) Aug '12 Ginobili 1
News Report: Warriors agree to trade Dorell Wright t... (Jul '12) Jul '12 King Dyce 1
Dorell Wright - nude! (Oct '11) Oct '11 Jenniffer 1
News Candid Cam: Warriors need new coach, then much ... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Rey Buenabal 1
News Warriors' improvement open to debate (Apr '11) Apr '11 AVHS Dad 1
News Where Do the Golden State Warriors Go From Here? (Apr '11) Apr '11 AVHS Dad 1
More from around the web