big stuff

There are 2 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Feb 17, 2007, titled big stuff. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard said he hopes competing in the slam-dunk contest tonight will "ease some of my nerves" before the main event: The NBA All-Star Game on Sunday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Roy Robertson

Bronx, NY

#1 Feb 17, 2007
The Greatest Dunk
In the early 1970's there was an NBA/ABA allstar game which took place at the Nassau colosseum in Uniondale, NY. Julius Erving was on a one on two fast break. In front of him, back pedaling was Jerry West and Oscar Robertson. Dr. J took of from the free throw line and soared past the two all time greats to dunk. I have never seen this clip since and the few people I know that have seen this live have said this one of the best dunks ever
please research this
Thank you,
Roy Robertson
Scott

West New York, NJ

#2 Mar 23, 2007
Yes, it's the greatest dunk under game conditions I have ever seen. Over 35 years later it has not been surpassed. There are those who have preserved it on tape, see:

http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~ahmintz/index....

Julius did this several times in the ABA during games but there is no visual record. On some plays he's reputed to have started his leap *in back* of the foul line, something he did often enough at Rucker in the 1970's.

In the ABA, he also did other things never seen to this day in the normal flow of the game. One of them was bouncing the ball off the box on the backboard while holding it, then taking his shot at leisure. A helicopter.

Hubie Brown saw much of this as opposing coach and talks about it in books about the ABA. The broadcaster Steve "Snapper" Jones who played against Julius all those years has similar recollections.
Although Doc played in the stratosphere with the Nets, it was during his first few years with the Virginia Squires that he probably played at the highest sheer altitude. He was less than 23 years old and his knees were still very strong. Even by 1976 while he could still easily dunk from the foul line when expected to like in the '76 Slam Dunk competition, his game had dropped a few inches in altitude. His knees were hurting from all the years of playground ball and he wore braces for many years.

Still, by taking care of himself and revving down a bit he prolonged his career and turned basketball into ballet for another 10 years.

A great ballplayers brilliant innovator and good human being.
Roy Robertson wrote:
The Greatest Dunk
In the early 1970's there was an NBA/ABA allstar game which took place at the Nassau colosseum in Uniondale, NY. Julius Erving was on a one on two fast break. In front of him, back pedaling was Jerry West and Oscar Robertson. Dr. J took of from the free throw line and soared past the two all time greats to dunk. I have never seen this clip since and the few people I know that have seen this live have said this one of the best dunks ever
please research this
Thank you,
Roy Robertson

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dominique Wilkins Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News HICKS: Rodman doesn't belong in Hall of Fame (Apr '11) Apr '11 worm91 7
News NBA Trade Rumors: Does the Boston Celtics' Past... (Feb '10) Feb '10 kmmm 2
News Dwight Howard Stickers It To The Man (Jul '07) Jul '07 James 1
News Big man bitter over dunk (Feb '07) Feb '07 J to the J 7
News Dunk rivals for Magic's Howard formidable (Feb '07) Feb '07 marvspoon 4
News Behind the scenes with Dominique (Sep '06) Sep '06 pyejoe sandres 1
More from around the web