Lakers' Fisher believes gestures deserve fine

Full story: LA Daily News

If image is indeed everything, then Lakers guard Derek Fisher believes Paul Pierce of the Boston Celtics and DeShawn Stevenson of the Washington Wizards deserved to be fined $25,000 apiece Monday for what the ...

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of75
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Big laker Fan

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2008

Derek made a big point on how these spoiled players are acting in front of the one of the biggest audience both on the arena and TV. Kids see them as a model, more than just a player but as a person who knows how to treat opponents right. The unsportsmalike behaviour of these players is turning basketball like a Roman Gladiator.

The dress code is true. The gang like image is a bad projection to kids. They will think that these players are condoning or patronizing gang life. For crying out loud, they are earning more money than most college educated professional, and they cannot afford to buy themselves a business suit. Spare me on excuses that you are making some fashion statement.
Marcus

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2008

I think that players should not be able to have the "Mountain Man" beard. This is for you Baron Davis and you, DeShawn Stevenson
Sunny Reinhart

Burbank, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2008

Dereck Fisher is correct--should be fines and at my grandsons school the boys wear slacks and ties to and from games..Menacing gestures should not be tolerated at all.....
Mark

Joplin, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2008

Leave the trash talk for the media sound bites. Trash displays during games are useless because while a player may dominate during one play of a game, he's as likely to get served a facial or do a bonehead move the next play. So, the trash talk is an impotent display of fleeting male fantasy machismo, while day-to-day maturity and sportsmanship continue to lose their hold in our sports culture and larger society. This at a time when two wars are being fought by our soldiers that should put aggression, self-respect, and honor into perspective. Whoever would disagree has never served a higher purpose other han their own self interest.
Dee_Smooth900

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2008

A message to all NBA players. For most of you, Ever since you could walk you were with a basketball. You would play for hours on end, day and night, weekends and holidays, through rain sleet and snow FOR FREE. Hoping that one day. all of this practicing would pay off. GuESS WHAT IT HAS!!!! Now that you have achieved your goal, all that the rest of us wants, is that you respect all the hard work that it took to get here. Enjoy your life, but dont disrespect the very thing that allows you the means to makes that life that much more enjoyable.
Dee_Smooth900

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2008

Paul Pierce should be ashamed of himself. Im from Los Angeles and I don't think that it's a secret that a Gang problem definitely exists here. Paul is from Inglewood California and the city is widely known for it's association with the "Bloods" Gang. Hey Danny Ainge,!! That wasn't a gesture with his hand for blood sweat and tears as you were told. When your index finger and your thumb touch it forms a the letter b. He was representing his ties with the BLOODS GANG.
Dee_Smooth900

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2008

Marcus wrote:
I think that players should not be able to have the "Mountain Man" beard. This is for you Baron Davis and you, DeShawn Stevenson
They need something to go along with all those weird tatoos
Mike Bibbys A Penishead

Evansville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2008

Screw fisher he sucks ass and so does his team!!!!!!!!

Pistons & Lakers suck, Go Colts and Celtics!!!!!!!!
mike

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2008

Fish is the man
GO LAKERS..........
Tom

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2008

Mike Bibbys A Penishead wrote:
Screw fisher he sucks ass and so does his team!!!!!!!!
Pistons & Lakers suck, Go Colts and Celtics!!!!!!!!
The Colts play basketball? Are you an embarrased Pacer fan?
Glendale

Pasadena, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2008

Good point, Derek! There was a news item last night in Los Angeles about how the city is trying to deal with the gang problem. One thing I noticed is so many gang members wearing Laker caps and shirts. I think the NBA needs to put out the message that thugs are not welcome, and they don't support gang-type behavior by its players, on or off the court.
Fabio

Santa Monica, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2008

I have never understood how "clothes sometimes linked with hip-hop or gang culture...." can be associated with each other.

It's like saying all turban wearing people are terrorists. Or all white smock wearing people are the best health care providers. Or people who wear glasses are better readers.

Where does it end?

The NBA like the NFL has become so sanitized and fearful of orginal expression it has become boring.
Stymie

Santa Monica, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2008

Glendale wrote:
Good point, Derek! There was a news item last night in Los Angeles about how the city is trying to deal with the gang problem. One thing I noticed is so many gang members wearing Laker caps and shirts. I think the NBA needs to put out the message that thugs are not welcome, and they don't support gang-type behavior by its players, on or off the court.
Excellent point. When the Raiders were a good team the bangers adopted their clothes. The Raiders took pride in being associated with the bad boy image. I was so glad when they left town and sucked.

Dont let the Lakers go the same way.
Mike Bibbys A Penishead

Evansville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2008

Tom wrote:
<quoted text>
The Colts play basketball? Are you an embarrased Pacer fan?
Yes I am, but who isn't???? I may like the Celtics since my 2 other teams Kings (fav. B/c of Ron Artest) and Pacers are not in the playoffs. But the Colts are still my team and the NFL is still my league. So I leave go colts messages on every sports blog because just face it the Mannings are America's team and well some like Peytons team other's like Eli's team. And I hate the Pats more then any other sports team on this planet. THEY ARE A HUGE DISCRACE TO THE CITY OF BOSTON AND MAKE THE PACERS LOOK LIKE A MELTING POT IN INDY!!!!!!!!!!
Mike Bibbys A Penishead

Evansville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2008

mike wrote:
Fish is the man
GO LAKERS..........
He's old!!!!!
M J Maxwell

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2008

Right on, Derek. He's always been a good example of sportsmanship & a real heads up ball player. Somethimes these players, who make so much money, don't think rules apply to them.
Fiasko Gable

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2008

Judged:

Thats right Fish we got too many ignorant people in the streets, we dont need it to carry out on the NBA court. If Pierce wants to be a low life scum of a gangster than do it and if not than shut up and play Ball!

And our youth is supposed to look up to this ignorance, Please!
gbrett_5

Torrance, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2008

ATHLETES WHO GET PAID FOR PLAYING SPORTS SHOULD HAVE TO WEAR BUSINESS ATTIRE TO AND FROM THE GAMES. I DON'T CARE IF THEY ARE PLAYING MINOR LEAGUE BALL. THIS IS THIER JOB, THEY SHOULD DRESS THE PART. ALL THE GM'S SHOULD TAKE A LOOK AT THE NEW YORK YANKEES. EVERYONE ON THAT SQUAD SHOWS UP TO EVERY GAME IN BUSINESS ATTIRE AND ARE CLEAN SHAVEN. IF THESE PLAYERS ARE MORE CONCERNED ABOUT FASHION AND HOW THEY LOOK BEFORE A GAME SHOULD, THEN THEY NEED TO QUIT THEIR JOBS NOW. I HEAR THAT TYRA IS LOOKING FOR NEW MODELS FOR THE NEXT SEASON OF AMERICANS NEXT TOP MODEL.
Mike Bibbys A Penishead

Evansville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2008

Fiasko Gable wrote:
Thats right Fish we got too many ignorant people in the streets, we dont need it to carry out on the NBA court. If Pierce wants to be a low life scum of a gangster than do it and if not than shut up and play Ball!
And our youth is supposed to look up to this ignorance, Please!
Fisher doesn't even know what he's talkin about he claimin the streets but he ain't from Compton like Paul Pierce!!!!!!!!!!
Get a clue

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2008

He ain't????!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of75
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent DeShawn Stevenson Discussions

Search the DeShawn Stevenson Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Dallas Mavericks point guard Jason Kidd had a 1... (Jun '11) Jun '11 best team 1
NBA Finals: Another comeback lets Mavs even ser... (Jun '11) Jun '11 MarkL5 4
Minnesota Timberwolves: Ryan Hollins suspended (Mar '10) Mar '10 Tiffany 5
Al Jefferson returns with a vengeance, but Timb... (Mar '10) Mar '10 brave_dave 7
Butler: Wizards' trio envisioned their jerseys ... (Feb '10) Feb '10 Wizard hater 2
Click to read:NBA Suspends Wizards' Arenas Inde... (Jan '10) Jan '10 uncle bill 3
NBA Suspends Wizards' Arenas Indefinitely (Jan '10) Jan '10 Discerner 6
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••