Burden is on Danny Ferry to make Cavaliers better

Published on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 BOSTON: The New Orleans Hornets were the first team that he mentioned. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
RustBelt

Springfield, OH

#64 May 22, 2008
Patrick, you stated "The offensive system also needs more work, yes, but more talent will help the system (see how the Cavs played when they moved the ball — it's not just the system)."
You gotta ask why this team doesn't move the ball. The answer lies in many places. It should be up to Ferry to find the answer. That's his job. The fact that he has not done this most important part of his job so far is evidence that he never will.
robinson819

Lexington, KY

#65 May 22, 2008
PDT1420 wrote:
<quoted text>
Somebody feel free to correct me, but couldn't a team like GS work something with Baron D for a sign and trade, that way we wouldn't have to cut our players, and GS would get our expiring contracts?
Wishful thinking I'm afraid, but I'd get it done somehow, I think BD would make us great.
Who do we have to give up for BD? I don't thing we have the young talent to give or do GS want expiring contracts. GS is not rebuilding, they have a team that can compete in the west.
robinson819

Lexington, KY

#66 May 22, 2008
The Pope wrote:
<quoted text>You left out Z. He's one of the three Large S**t bags in Cleveland. The other two are Crennel and Sabbathia.....
I actually have a full letter to Danny Ferry where I have a plan to phase Z out.
San Antone Bill

San Antonio, TX

#67 May 22, 2008
RustBelt wrote:
Patrick, you stated "The offensive system also needs more work, yes, but more talent will help the system (see how the Cavs played when they moved the ball — it's not just the system)."
You gotta ask why this team doesn't move the ball. The answer lies in many places. It should be up to Ferry to find the answer. That's his job. The fact that he has not done this most important part of his job so far is evidence that he never will.
You just slay me. What was the state of the franchise before Ferry got there? Lets see,you went to the NBA Finals last year and you took the best team in the East ( record wise ) to seven games and played them real tough and almost made that trip back to the finals.

I think Ferry has done his job!!! What he's been there three or four years now. His success is evedent. Could it be better, of course,but when he finnaly does win the NBA Finals you sound like you won't be satisfied even then.
Ben Melman

Akron, OH

#68 May 22, 2008
Regarding Elton Brand...

Forget it.

If he leaves LA, then the odds on chance is that he goes to Chicago which is where he grew up. Asuming the Bulls take the point guard #1 - and it appears they will, then the only thing they need is a guy that can score in the low post. Elton can return home and take the Bulls to glory.

If Elton does not go there, the Bulls still have a number of players that they can package in a trade (including Gooden) for a low post scorer.

Add the Bulls to the Celtics, Pistons, Magic, Sixers, Wizards, Hawks that all figure to improve next year as except for the Celtics they all have very good yound developing players.

It says here that Danny Ferry doesn't do crap next year. Unless Boobie shows up driving to the basket and playing D like Andy used to and learns to protect the ball, and the Cavs draft a player that does something, and Z wakes up and revies his game some, and Andy stops playing soft D and gets some sort of offensive game......and Ben and Wally balance the budget and bring down the price of imported oil.......
Ben Melman

Akron, OH

#69 May 22, 2008
LeBron vs. Kobe

Did any of you stay up Wed even and see that? Wow! Kobe brought them back from 20 down with 5 minutes gone in the 3rd quarter, and the Spurs defense isn't chopped liver....ask LeBron. Kobe can score from anywhere. His game is controlled, disciplined and smooth. And his D is supurb.

I lived in LA for 25 years and watched Kobe. A remarkable athlete. I love watching LeBron. But to the myopic Clevlanders that think he's better then Kobe at this point....uh, no.

LeBron has a lot to work on this offseason. I'm sure he will. To his defense I believe his back was hurting all through the playoffs, because the way he want up for jumpers was different then he did before he got hurt at the end of the year. He's going to be better next year.

In addition to a Laker-Cav fan, I'm also an NBA fan. I look forward to LeeBron getting on a team with a real point guard - Larry Bird ran the Celtics from the small forward position, but he always credited Dennis Johnson. And McCale, Parrish and others were not bad running mates. LeBron is going to follow Kobe as the best player in the NBA. He does not deserve to spend his career stuck with the garbage that has been surrounding him for 5 years. Z's the only guy half decent, and he's aging rapidly. I would love to see LeBron play with D-Wade anywhere. I'd love to see him hook up with any of the small, quick points guards around the NBA.

Cleveland should enjoy him for the next 2 years. But I have little faih in Danny Ferry doing much of anything to bring quality talent here. For 3 years he's moved the deck chairs on the Titanic. The Cavs peaked last year and lucked out with a lousy NBA East Conference. It was all LeBron that got them as far as they did. HE turned it up in the playoffs, not Mike Brown.

The Cavs other then LeBron are what they've always been - high priced guys over the hill, and 3 or 4 young players that are not much better then any other teams 3 or 4 young players. One game Wally does well, the next game Boobie does well, a few games later West does well. But they don't do well consistantly and at the same time. This is what losing organizations are all about. The Cavs need TWO quality starters by the beginning of next season, cause Z is going to be a part-timer at best. I'm not counting on them geting one. Probably an over the hill, high priced vet that the Cleveland media will talk up like they did the last 4 guys brought in.
hdawg

Mamaroneck, NY

#70 May 22, 2008
I agree with Ben. Along with that, if the Bulls draft Rose, look for Hinrich to be sent packing along with either Noah or Tyrus Thomas. The Bulls got very lucky in the lottery and could make them a powerhouse in the coming years. Both Beasley and Rose are going to be great players at the next level (most likely, nothing is guaranteed), and Chicago and Miami already have a few key places in place, more so than most teams getting the top 2 picks.

Since: Mar 07

Akron, OH

#71 May 22, 2008
I love LeBron too, but his game is not as complete as Kobe's. 85% of the league plays above the rim in the NBA. The game is about more than power and strength. Deception is a key ingredient that all basketball players must master. There is no other player in the league as trustworthy and guaranteed as KB as well. Down 20 halway through the 3rd quarter and Kobe had 2 points on 1-4 shooting? Anyone with any sense knew that means the game is going to be close because he was going to make up 28 points in a quarter and a half. There are certain things you can count on in this life: paying taxes, death and KB getting his game on. Bowen/Ginobli/Finley/etc: start guarding KB at half court in Game 2. That might slow him down.

“Serenity Now!”

Since: May 07

York Township, OH

#72 May 22, 2008
Ben Melman wrote:
I love watching LeBron. But to the myopic Clevlanders that think he's better then Kobe at this point....uh, no.
I disagree, but considering that LeBron is still so young and has even been in the conversation in regards to being as good (or better) than Kobe really says a lot. In a few more years it won't even be close.
San Antone Bill

San Antonio, TX

#73 May 22, 2008
Ben Melman wrote:
LeBron vs. Kobe
Did any of you stay up Wed even and see that? Wow! Kobe brought them back from 20 down with 5 minutes gone in the 3rd quarter, and the Spurs defense isn't chopped liver....ask LeBron. Kobe can score from anywhere. His game is controlled, disciplined and smooth. And his D is supurb.
I lived in LA for 25 years and watched Kobe. A remarkable athlete. I love watching LeBron. But to the myopic Clevlanders that think he's better then Kobe at this point....uh, no.
LeBron has a lot to work on this offseason. I'm sure he will. To his defense I believe his back was hurting all through the playoffs, because the way he want up for jumpers was different then he did before he got hurt at the end of the year. He's going to be better next year.
In addition to a Laker-Cav fan, I'm also an NBA fan. I look forward to LeeBron getting on a team with a real point guard - Larry Bird ran the Celtics from the small forward position, but he always credited Dennis Johnson. And McCale, Parrish and others were not bad running mates. LeBron is going to follow Kobe as the best player in the NBA. He does not deserve to spend his career stuck with the garbage that has been surrounding him for 5 years. Z's the only guy half decent, and he's aging rapidly. I would love to see LeBron play with D-Wade anywhere. I'd love to see him hook up with any of the small, quick points guards around the NBA.
Cleveland should enjoy him for the next 2 years. But I have little faih in Danny Ferry doing much of anything to bring quality talent here. For 3 years he's moved the deck chairs on the Titanic. The Cavs peaked last year and lucked out with a lousy NBA East Conference. It was all LeBron that got them as far as they did. HE turned it up in the playoffs, not Mike Brown.
The Cavs other then LeBron are what they've always been - high priced guys over the hill, and 3 or 4 young players that are not much better then any other teams 3 or 4 young players. One game Wally does well, the next game Boobie does well, a few games later West does well. But they don't do well consistantly and at the same time. This is what losing organizations are all about. The Cavs need TWO quality starters by the beginning of next season, cause Z is going to be a part-timer at best. I'm not counting on them geting one. Probably an over the hill, high priced vet that the Cleveland media will talk up like they did the last 4 guys brought in.
Yes I saw the game last night. I tell you the Spurs would love to have James. He would fit in just nicely-thank you very much. I am Spurs-Cavs fan. The Spurs would be so much better with LeBron.

It was like being in the twilight zone that second half. I am sure the Lakers thought the same of the first half. Such poor passes and they couldn't spit in the ocean on a sinking Titanic. Bummed to say the least.

The CAVs do have some talent but so do the other teams. There appears to be talent in the draft this year. Who does the Cavs figure to draft?
Ben Melman

Akron, OH

#74 May 22, 2008
"Yes I saw the game last night. I tell you the Spurs would love to have James. He would fit in just nicely-thank you very much. I am Spurs-Cavs fan. The Spurs would be so much better with LeBron."

San Antone Bill;

I had never thought about LeBron going to the Spurs. Very interesting. I do think they're in trouble, as I don't see an impact player coming along to pick it up as the big 3 phase down. LeBron surely can be that quality player. And the Spurs have a top-flight front office staff that finds players from around the world. Bowen reminds me so much of Michael Cooper with the Lakers - anytime a 1,2 or 3 was burning the Lakers, Reilly would put in Coop and you'd never hear from the guy again. The fact that Bowen couldn't do anything to even slow up Kobe last night...even with help....speaks volumes. I think LeBron will be as good someday, but again, he's going to need some help.

"It was like being in the twilight zone that second half. I am sure the Lakers thought the same of the first half. Such poor passes and they couldn't spit in the ocean on a sinking Titanic. Bummed to say the least."

You know, that's the thing about defense in the NBA. It's all about angles (as with other sports) and good defense cuts those angles off. Kobe got the majority of the credit last night, but it was the Lakers D that turned the game around. That brings up one of the problems I have with Mike Brown...always talking about D. Phil Jackson succeeded with the Bulls and with the Kobe/Shaq Lakers because of D...and he's doing it again with this group of Lakers. And Reilly did it with D in showtime - the Lakers were not like the Nuggets/Warriors of today. But that was only part of the game, and they didn't walk around preaching about it as if no other aspect of the game was important - they let their offenses run as well (Phil turned his over to Tex Winter with the triangle). I give it to Brown for the D against the Celtics. And I'm tired of the national media saying that Pierce looked bad the first 6 games because he was "tired from guarding LeBron". BS. LeBron's defense against him the first 6 games was stifling.

When your see a team look like crap offensively in the playoffs, it's usually because of the D. In the Cavs case though, it's tough to tell, because even against lottery teams during the season their offense often falls apart.
Josh

AOL

#75 May 22, 2008
Earth to Ben...

The Bulls had Elton Brand already. They gave up on him and he landed with the Clippers. So, it is you who can 'forget it'. If anything, he may want to come back and torture Chicago in a Cleveland uni. He's also a Duke grad, as is Ferry. Not too far-fetched if you think about it.
hdawg

Cleveland, OH

#76 May 23, 2008
The Bulls are interested in Brand. They traded him to get younger and have the opportunity to draft both Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler in the same year. Both the Bulls and Elton Brand have expressed interest to reunite. However, I don't see Brand going to either Chicago or Cleveland. And look, Lebron is only in the conversation as possibly being better than Kobe in Cleveland, the rest of the country doesn't feel that way. Lebron will possibly be a better player than Kobe down the road, but right now Kobe is easily the better all around player and the more polished and more accomplished player.

Since: Mar 07

Brunswick, OH

#77 May 23, 2008
....Thats not what Josh thinks
Jim in Kent

Ravenna, OH

#78 May 23, 2008
Ben Melman wrote:
LeBron vs. Kobe
Did any of you stay up Wed even and see that? Wow! Kobe brought them back from 20 down with 5 minutes gone in the 3rd quarter, and the Spurs defense isn't chopped liver....ask LeBron. Kobe can score from anywhere. His game is controlled, disciplined and smooth. And his D is supurb.
I lived in LA for 25 years and watched Kobe. A remarkable athlete. I love watching LeBron. But to the myopic Clevlanders that think he's better then Kobe at this point....uh, no.
LeBron has a lot to work on this offseason. I'm sure he will. To his defense I believe his back was hurting all through the playoffs, because the way he want up for jumpers was different then he did before he got hurt at the end of the year. He's going to be better next year.
In addition to a Laker-Cav fan, I'm also an NBA fan. I look forward to LeeBron getting on a team with a real point guard - Larry Bird ran the Celtics from the small forward position, but he always credited Dennis Johnson. And McCale, Parrish and others were not bad running mates. LeBron is going to follow Kobe as the best player in the NBA. He does not deserve to spend his career stuck with the garbage that has been surrounding him for 5 years. Z's the only guy half decent, and he's aging rapidly. I would love to see LeBron play with D-Wade anywhere. I'd love to see him hook up with any of the small, quick points guards around the NBA.
Cleveland should enjoy him for the next 2 years. But I have little faih in Danny Ferry doing much of anything to bring quality talent here. For 3 years he's moved the deck chairs on the Titanic. The Cavs peaked last year and lucked out with a lousy NBA East Conference. It was all LeBron that got them as far as they did. HE turned it up in the playoffs, not Mike Brown.
The Cavs other then LeBron are what they've always been - high priced guys over the hill, and 3 or 4 young players that are not much better then any other teams 3 or 4 young players. One game Wally does well, the next game Boobie does well, a few games later West does well. But they don't do well consistantly and at the same time. This is what losing organizations are all about. The Cavs need TWO quality starters by the beginning of next season, cause Z is going to be a part-timer at best. I'm not counting on them geting one. Probably an over the hill, high priced vet that the Cleveland media will talk up like they did the last 4 guys brought in.
Hey Mel, I missed the part where Kobe was double and triple teamed all night by the best defense in the NBA. Maybe you saw that, but I didn't. I missed that part where Kobe isn't surrounded by other big-time offensive players. Maybe you saw that, but I didn't. I missed the part where Kobe carried the entire team against five top notch players for an entire season, conference series, and NBA finals. Maybe you saw that, but I didn't. LeBron has a lot more work to do on his mid-range game, granted. But, maybe you saw where LeBron was getting all those calls in the lane like Kobe does, but I didn't. Fact is, LeBron, at his present age, is more the player than Kobe is right now. And, I still think that Kobe is a great player, not just a great as LeBron. And, LeBron is gonna get WAAAAY better. Kobe got the MVP because he might be gone soon. He's getting toward the end of his career. And, in my opinion, the NBA wanted more hype for a Boston - LA series. And finally, you're right about the two players. We need a point guard that can create his own shot and score, and distribute the ball to other socrers, and we need a big-time inside threat; a mama-jama scoring power forward. With those two guys and some floor spacing we will rule the league.
Josh

AOL

#79 May 23, 2008
Buck, do you have anything better to do? Evidently not? Head to head, LeBron torched the Lakers and outscored/rebounded/assisted/s hut Kobe down this season. The only reason the Lakers are where they are is Pau Gasol. If you dont believe that, I dont know what to tell you. I know this, however. Heads up, against each other, LeBron dominated Kobe this season. Look it up.

The Bulls have 7 Power Forwards on their roster. Why on earth they would bring back Elton Brand is beyond me and most likely beyond Chicago's front office too. The Cavs should make a major play for his services, would anyone not agree? Arguably the best PF in the NBA 2 years ago, if you consider Tim Duncan to be a center like I do.

Since: Mar 07

Akron, OH

#80 May 23, 2008
HAAAAA! Josh- Youre a good man, but like I said, I had to bring this back up and throw it in your face.

Kobe apparently is the best player with the best help in the league, according to Josh. First Shaq now Gasol. However you want to spin it, a "W" is a "W". If Mike Brown implemented the triangle offense instead of the 4 corners offense, maybe you guys would still be playing or if LeBron could hit a finger roll, maybe you guys would still be playing or if Ben Wallace would stretch before the game, maybe you guys would still be playing. Which one is it?

I can bring up some more old stuff if you want me to. I believe Brady Quinn is a Brown now too....
hmm

Akron, OH

#81 May 23, 2008
Big Buck wrote:
HAAAAA! Josh- Youre a good man, but like I said, I had to bring this back up and throw it in your face.
Kobe apparently is the best player with the best help in the league, according to Josh. First Shaq now Gasol. However you want to spin it, a "W" is a "W". If Mike Brown implemented the triangle offense instead of the 4 corners offense, maybe you guys would still be playing or if LeBron could hit a finger roll, maybe you guys would still be playing or if Ben Wallace would stretch before the game, maybe you guys would still be playing. Which one is it?
I can bring up some more old stuff if you want me to. I believe Brady Quinn is a Brown now too....
The Celtics truly had a home field advantage. They kept those damn strobes going so that Ben's vertigo would kick in!
ColoradoCavFan

Fairfield, CT

#82 May 25, 2008
Nice post Pat. The offensive system is pretty effective at times. Other times it seems as though the players lose focus and revert back to the 1 on 5 offense. It seems as though LBJ has taken a backseat to Ferry after he adamantly lobbied for Larry Hughes' arrival. I do believe this is Ferry's last chance though.
Daryl Jackson

Elyria, OH

#83 Feb 19, 2009
Dr Doom wrote:
Anyone who thinks the Cavs, as currently constituted are equipped to win a Championship is clearly delusional.
Look at the teams remaining in the playoffs.
All have at least one potential HOFer (Kobe/TD for sure, while KG and Sheed are close calls).
But each squad also includes another 2-3 guys capable of dropping 30 on any given night.
The Cavs have NO ONE who can even sniff 25, let alone 30.
We need a penetrating guard who can get his own shot and get to line.
I favor B-Diddy and CDR.
But a shooting PG and Kevin Love would suffice.
The past four years I've picked SA-Det in October to meet in the Finals.
If the Cavs make any of the aforementioned moves, I will gladly put my money down on them and the Lakers as next season's dream match up.
Get it done Danny.
Cavs will definately win a camp, they have to and if they get Shaq it will be a brick wall against the big 3

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Delonte West Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can Sebastian Telfair salvage his career in Cle... (Apr '10) Aug '14 johnny 44
West begs for NBA gig on Twitter (Nov '12) Nov '12 quwan 1
Plea hearing for Cleveland Cavaliers star Delon... (Jul '10) Apr '12 FRANK 3
The shocking story of an NBA player who was liv... (Mar '12) Mar '12 miniaoariel 2
Michael Arace commentary: Redemption for James?... (May '11) May '11 Go Blue 51
Nets beat Celtics 88-79 for 5th straight win (Mar '11) Mar '11 triple6vamp 4
Celtics have eyes on another title - Sentinel &... (Oct '10) Oct '10 zappo777 2

Delonte West People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE