Why America Hates the Spurs

Full story: The Washington Post

'I don't understand -- why don't people like us?' Bruce Bowen asked. You really want to know? 'Go ahead.' Because you and the mean ol' San Antonio Spurs ruin happy endings for players and teams whom fans want ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 29 Comments Last updated Jul 18, 2008
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rob

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
May 21, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

No, Bruce, it's because you play dirty! I don't understand why Spurs fans and apparently Spurs players continue to think that playing hard defense and playing dirty are mutually exclusive, because they're not. Bowen plays extremely good defense. In addition to that, he puts his foot under jump shooters, he kicked Stoudemire's leg, he kicked Chris Paul in the regular season and got suspended, he throws elbows and pulls jerseys, and he can never believe it when he gets caught. Could he be just as effective defensively if he eliminated this cheap, bush-league tactics? It's debatable, but I think he could. We need to stop giving him a pass because he plays good D in addition to the junk he pulls.
THE LAST WORD1

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
May 21, 2008
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Rob, I agree it's not because they win. That has something to do with it. My hatred comes from the way Duncan stares at the refs with that half smile half ... whatever look that is!!!!!! Oh, it kills me. And then the real reason... Tony Parker. That guy looks exactly like what you'd see if you looked up snotty, spoiled, FRENCHMAN, in the dictionary. How did Eva leave me for that? The money, must have been.
But oh, do I hate them. I live in SD(don't know where they got Santa Ana), so I don't have a team. I never real even watch til playoffs. And I hate rooting for LA teams of any sport, but it's going to be easy to a Laker fan tonight.
Cowboy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
May 21, 2008
 
Rob & The Last Word1 - Apparently in everyone’s eyes (coaches and players alike) Bruce Bowen is an outstanding defensive player, otherwise why would he be selected as NBA defensive player of the year, time after time? I’m damn sure it’s not because you two idiots voted! You sit there calling him a dirty player, yet I can guarantee you that you’ve never played the sport or for that matter taken the hits that he’s taken throughout his career….yeah, right maybe in your parent’s driveway, keep dreaming. At least learn how the game is played and then maybe someday you can talk smack, in the meantime stay in school…a good education is better than you trying to talk smack. Go Spurs Go……
who cares

Montvale, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
May 22, 2008
 
The reason everyone hates the spurs is because they are boring, they are slow, and its not because they "dont pound there chest", its because there brand of basketball is mundane. Its the other teams they play that bring excitement. And yea, there dirty. Simple. Horry wasnt dirty in L.A., but he wasnt asked to knock the hell out of someone in the open court or stiff arm someone with a bad back, so why does he do in now in San Antonio? And Bowen, kick Ray Allen in the back and literally jump kicking people in the face is not playing defense. Go to youtube and look your stupid ass up, and just realize that you've been caught.

Since: May 08

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
May 22, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Cowboy, wow, can you read? You start your post addressing Rob & I. Have you read my post? Obviously not. Because I said nothing about Bowen, although he does get under anyone's ankles he can. And... That's good D... just like Shaq's huge swinging elbows, if they ain't going to call it, it's good D, period. Sorry if we call a spade a spade. I understand, he's your boy you gotta defend him. But read my post. I was ripping on the biggest baby in the NBA, Tony Parker.

Since: May 08

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
May 22, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Who Cares, Don't just repeat what the sports announcers try to make up to justify why no one likes the Spurs. Just because someone in the media says it, doesn't mean that's the truth. How is a guy dribbling through defenders legs boring? How is the fastest slasher that can cut through any double team boring?
The fact of the matter is, they're from San Antonio. Who outside of San Antonio likes them, other than the rest of Texas after Houston and Dallas goes out? No one. And then, couple that with the fact that no one likes the french, especially not the snotty TP.
Cowboy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jun 20, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

THE LAST WORD1 wrote:
Cowboy, wow, can you read? You start your post addressing Rob & I. Have you read my post? Obviously not. Because I said nothing about Bowen, although he does get under anyone's ankles he can. And... That's good D... just like Shaq's huge swinging elbows, if they ain't going to call it, it's good D, period. Sorry if we call a spade a spade. I understand, he's your boy you gotta defend him. But read my post. I was ripping on the biggest baby in the NBA, Tony Parker.
Yes I can read, the question is, are you intelligent enough to comprehend what you wrote? By you stating,“Rob, I agree” that obviously means that you’re in agreement with the comments Rob made on Bruce Bowen that’s why I addressed both of you. Like I said before; “stay in school and get an education (calling a spade a spade).”
josh

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jun 21, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Rob wrote:
No, Bruce, it's because you play dirty! I don't understand why Spurs fans and apparently Spurs players continue to think that playing hard defense and playing dirty are mutually exclusive, because they're not. Bowen plays extremely good defense. In addition to that, he puts his foot under jump shooters, he kicked Stoudemire's leg, he kicked Chris Paul in the regular season and got suspended, he throws elbows and pulls jerseys, and he can never believe it when he gets caught. Could he be just as effective defensively if he eliminated this cheap, bush-league tactics? It's debatable, but I think he could. We need to stop giving him a pass because he plays good D in addition to the junk he pulls.
your a complete moron. he is the best small defender in the league by far. nobody even comes close to bowen.
josh

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jun 21, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

THE LAST WORD1 wrote:
Rob, I agree it's not because they win. That has something to do with it. My hatred comes from the way Duncan stares at the refs with that half smile half ... whatever look that is!!!!!! Oh, it kills me. And then the real reason... Tony Parker. That guy looks exactly like what you'd see if you looked up snotty, spoiled, FRENCHMAN, in the dictionary. How did Eva leave me for that? The money, must have been.
But oh, do I hate them. I live in SD(don't know where they got Santa Ana), so I don't have a team. I never real even watch til playoffs. And I hate rooting for LA teams of any sport, but it's going to be easy to a Laker fan tonight.
you must hate duncan because hes good. he is the greatest power foward to ever play the game. yes hes better than barkley and malone to.
josh

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jun 21, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

THE LAST WORD1 wrote:
Cowboy, wow, can you read? You start your post addressing Rob & I. Have you read my post? Obviously not. Because I said nothing about Bowen, although he does get under anyone's ankles he can. And... That's good D... just like Shaq's huge swinging elbows, if they ain't going to call it, it's good D, period. Sorry if we call a spade a spade. I understand, he's your boy you gotta defend him. But read my post. I was ripping on the biggest baby in the NBA, Tony Parker.
oh my god. you cannot be serious. kobe bryant is the biggest whiny @$$ in the league. curt schilling was right on about his comments on kobe. nothing is ever his fault. if its not the refs then its his teammates.

Since: May 08

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jun 23, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Josh, Cowboy, all you idiots that can't even see I'm being funny here...
It's a joke. Obviously the reason people hate the Spurs because they WIN!!! Everyone who is not a fan of the Patriots, does not want to see them go to another Superbowl. Just like everyone outside of SA doesn't want the Spurs to win again. It sucks to see the same team there every year. Yes, it's why the world goes round. We need the Goliaths or there will be no Davids. I can't believe you moronsjump all up "Oh, my God!! you must hate Duncan then cause he ...." Lighten up and see the humor.
Cowboy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jun 24, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

THE LAST WORD1 wrote:
Josh, Cowboy, all you idiots that can't even see I'm being funny here...
It's a joke. Obviously the reason people hate the Spurs because they WIN!!! Everyone who is not a fan of the Patriots, does not want to see them go to another Superbowl. Just like everyone outside of SA doesn't want the Spurs to win again. It sucks to see the same team there every year. Yes, it's why the world goes round. We need the Goliaths or there will be no Davids. I can't believe you moronsjump all up "Oh, my God!! you must hate Duncan then cause he ...." Lighten up and see the humor.
I probably don’t see the humor in it because you’re not even close to being funny, so stop insulting those individuals that do make their living as comedians. Also while you’re at it, stop “contradicting” yourself you’re starting to sound as if there’s a couple of bolts’ missing from your brain-housing group and making me wonder!
dman

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jun 24, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

i agree i think the reason people hate the spurs is because there in the hunt for a championship every year.they been in the playoff like 11 or 12 consecutive years and four rings in 9 years.i believe the people want to see change.but like i always,say if you dont want to see them in there you have to knock them out.and thats pretty dam hard to do.
mike

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jun 26, 2008
 
Spurs are just hated b/c they've prevented other people's teams from winning, esp the suns. That, and they lack flashy superstars which makes it difficult for stupid people to understand what is going on. And as for tim duncan whining about the refs, anybody ever watched kobe play? That dude wants a foul called everytime he misses a shot.

Since: May 08

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jun 27, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Cowboy,... Cowboy .. Cowboy...
"stop 'contradicting'(why quotes around cont) yourself you're starting to sound as if there's a couple of bolts'(why apostrophe?) missing from your brain-housing group and making me wonder!"

I just got it!!! You're trying to sound like Borat!!!! I'm sorry I didn't see that at first.

Man... You're funny..........NOT!!!!
It's so funny when people try to look smart and end up making more of an idiot out of themselves. I think he was proud he used the word "contradicting", maybe that's why he put quotes around it.
You see contradicting is when you say one thing and then you come back and say the exact opposite. Which obviously you don't comprehend that, because I said nothing about Bowen in the first post, which you tried to lump me in with someone else who did. The first sentence I said was "I agree it's not just because they win" and then I point out stupid reasons to hate them, and obviously the sarcasm went over your head. You see, sarcasm is when you say something you don't believe on purpose to make a point.

But I won't hurt your ... uh,... brain-housing group? anymore
Cowboy

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jun 27, 2008
 
THE LAST WORD1 wrote:
Cowboy,... Cowboy .. Cowboy...
"stop 'contradicting'(why quotes around cont) yourself you're starting to sound as if there's a couple of bolts'(why apostrophe?) missing from your brain-housing group and making me wonder!"
I just got it!!! You're trying to sound like Borat!!!! I'm sorry I didn't see that at first.
Man... You're funny..........NOT!!!!
It's so funny when people try to look smart and end up making more of an idiot out of themselves. I think he was proud he used the word "contradicting", maybe that's why he put quotes around it.
You see contradicting is when you say one thing and then you come back and say the exact opposite. Which obviously you don't comprehend that, because I said nothing about Bowen in the first post, which you tried to lump me in with someone else who did. The first sentence I said was "I agree it's not just because they win" and then I point out stupid reasons to hate them, and obviously the sarcasm went over your head. You see, sarcasm is when you say something you don't believe on purpose to make a point.
But I won't hurt your ... uh,... brain-housing group? anymore
Exactly...so read what you wrote you moron....
Cowboy

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jun 27, 2008
 
Are you dumb or just plain stupid?

Since: May 08

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jul 1, 2008
 
Wow, nice come back Cowboy!!!

Since: May 08

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jul 1, 2008
 
Okay wait a minute, how come the guy I was arguing with to begin with was from Austin and now it says you're from SD? Are you a different dude?
Cowboy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jul 1, 2008
 
THE LAST WORD1 wrote:
Okay wait a minute, how come the guy I was arguing with to begin with was from Austin and now it says you're from SD? Are you a different dude?
That's because I'm inside your wire now just off South Bristol Street....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent David West Discussions

Search the David West Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Around the NBA: After taste of playoff success,... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Irascible Infidel 1
2013 NBA Playoffs: Knicks Amar'e Stoudemire to ... (May '13) May '13 Jmar196 1
Pacers Showing Interest in O.J. Mayo & Elton Br... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Tony E 1
Wade scores 41, James adds 28 as Miami finishes... (May '12) May '12 They Live If We Sleep 1
Wade Loses Cool In Heat's 94-75 Loss To Pacers (May '12) May '12 clueless 1
Hornets' guard Chris Paul says he's focused on ... (Dec '11) Dec '11 migs 1
NBA Trade Rumors: Will Chris Paul, Dwight Howar... (Jul '11) Nov '11 Hoops 7
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••