Knicks' Walsh denies trying to low-ball Nate, Lee

There are 20 comments on the Newsday story from Jul 13, 2009, titled Knicks' Walsh denies trying to low-ball Nate, Lee. In it, Newsday reports that:

Donnie Walsh said talks with the Knicks ' two restricted free agents, David Lee and Nate Robinson, "will be ongoing this week" and denied he is trying to use the dried-up market to force both into taking much cheaper qualifying offers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

emac2

Sweet Home, OR

#1 Jul 13, 2009
Bartelson is trying to figure out how to recover from advising Lee not to allow the trade to Memphis. I'm sure he is busy blaming it on Walsh.
True Knicks Fan

United States

#2 Jul 13, 2009
I think its a battle of wits between the two, with lee ultimately losing in the end. This Bartelstein character is trying to lie his way to the top. He needs to except that he's been beaten and work towards getting his client a contract that teams would actually want to pay. He is trying to low ball and with no actual proof that anybody really is trying to pay 10 mil. Hopefully lee will recognize this and cut this joker loose. But walsh needs to own up to his demons as well. He knows lee has no outs. Right now he is leaning on them heavily right now, with hope that they would break and except his offer of a 6 to 8 range. Unfortunately for lee, no one else is looking to pay even that much for a poor shooting but outstanding rebounding glue guy. Check mate. Winner Mr. Walsh.
Chris

New York, NY

#3 Jul 13, 2009
Keep Nate. We need excitement at the Garden and there aren't too many other dynamic scoring players on the team. Lee's a good player but we wouldn't be able to keep him beyond next year anyway with his salary expectations.
NYStateOfMind

New York, NY

#4 Jul 13, 2009
This whole "low-balling" claim is in a word: RIDICULOUS...

If these players had any value to any NBA team, they would have already been signed...

While I like Lee as a contributor, he is in my opinion, not a $10 million per year player. An offer of $35 million for 5 years seems reasonable and fair...

Nate Robinson should be lucky for the Knicks or any NBA team for that matter, to offer him any type of contract. He has little basketball intelligence to speak of, is regularly out of position defensively, and tries to make the spectacular offensive play too often. Not to mention is inability to control his emotions that put the Knicks in worse standing with the referees...
terry

United States

#5 Jul 13, 2009
The heat would love to talk with robinson and lee just twitter The Heat Guys WE NEED YOU LEE COME BACK HOME we taker care of our own
Jerry

Ocala, FL

#6 Jul 13, 2009
Hey man, it is what it is. Donnie and Mike have not gone out of their way to get either of those guys, trying to trade David many times. Turn around is fair play they can see what they are worth and if they find a good team, like Portland that will take either of them you can't blame them, although the fans will blame you.

Nuff of that. Let's talk about Tracy McGrady again. I think he can be had cheap next year and still has 5 years left he's only 30 and all this talk about him not getting past the 2nd round is bunk. He hasn't had the team. I think if the Knicks approach it smartly they can pick him up with Dorsey for Hughes/Harrington or the contract of Mobley. Dorsey is key. So if the Knicks have to give up a second or a future first I say do it. Dorsey is easily a first rounder IMHO. He can rebound and block shots and take up space. This would give the Knicks the full spectrum of shotblockers, scorers and mean and Nasties down low (dorsey). McGrady is a superstar and if we don't sign Lebron, he could be had for 10 mill or so I'm sure. Even if he isn't his contract is up and the can pursue other free agents. Get it done Donnie this is Key!!!!. You made some good pickups in Sene and Darko. Now finish it off with a SG and a bruiser.(think Mahorn here) So there you have it. I think with that trade the Knicks could go well into the playoffs for the next 5 years and possibly win a championship, without Lebron. They can develop the young talent, in fact I like that better than Lebron, less hype more of an underdog, NY loves an UD!!!!!!!!!!
J-Rod

Richmond Hill, NY

#7 Jul 13, 2009
@ Jerry Finally someone who understands the type of athlete Joey Dorsey is. Explosive dunker, defender, has the body. If they can get Dorsey to the Knicks that would be good.

To those saying keep Robinson in NY just for entertaiment don't know what they're talking about. How many times when the Knicks were on the brink of being blownout in the first quarter of a game did Robinson give them the boost shooting wise and defensively to make a comeback? He's only one willing and was successful at taking the ball to the rim when the other Knicks were to busy shooting threes. He made bad decisions at times, but he wasn't no where near. He doesn't have a basketball IQ? Checkout the "Al Smack the board" game in Los Angeles and see how good he was interms of court vision and getting players the ball. More swifter than Duhon, who is slow in terms of giving up the ball when a player like Chandler was open. Nate's emotion is a gift and curse, but at least he shows it compared to this dull team. If that's such a problem, get Walsh involved with disiplinary actions or something.
jimmy

Zurich, Switzerland

#9 Jul 14, 2009
lee is too much
jimmy

Zurich, Switzerland

#10 Jul 14, 2009
nat i good
DOK

Kansas City, MO

#11 Jul 14, 2009
Lee's agent has a ego too, Donnie should have seen this coming. The foolish assault to sign Kidd and Hill, G may cost the Knick's Lee & Nate

“Wilma”

Since: Oct 07

Yonkers

#12 Jul 14, 2009
Whatever they decide....it .will be wrong.....always is. Worse than Los Mets.
Jerry

Ocala, FL

#13 Jul 14, 2009
It's been Lebron....Lebron....Lebron.... .now you are going to find out what it is like when you're wife leaves you.
Jay

Columbus, OH

#14 Jul 14, 2009
The Knicks - who are owned by Cablevision, which also owns Newsday.

Has anyone gotten tired of reading this line, sentence, or advertisement????
tjrover

Crofton, MD

#15 Jul 14, 2009
Lee puts up nice stats but really isn't that great of a player, he's made plenty of dumb blunders in crunch team and is more of a reason for the team's struggles than a solution for them.

Robinson is a decent 6th man, that's about it, when he's not chucking every time he touches the rock.
venom

Brooklyn, NY

#16 Jul 14, 2009
DOK wrote:
Lee's agent has a ego too, Donnie should have seen this coming. The foolish assault to sign Kidd and Hill, G may cost the Knick's Lee & Nate
well put. Isiah was often criticized for never deciding on a rebuilding youth movement (Ariza, Frye, Nate, Lee) or going with veteran quick fixes like Steve (no-longer-franchise) Francis, and Mo Taylor... he ended up with a mess of a mix of both. Now the new regime starts the year calling Lee, Nate and Chander the future, then leaves them dangling while pursuing more past-their-prime vets in Hill abd Kidd.(there was a time when the NY press would be quick to point out that they were only using NY to boost their contracts elsewhere) I guess that time is also gone like seeing the Knicks playing for a playoff spot rather than saying an 8th playoff isn't worth playing for a month into last season.
Just fist me No grease

East Islip, NY

#17 Jul 14, 2009
aughh aughhh! Not so hard Rico!
Kiyaman

Huntington Station, NY

#18 Jul 15, 2009
If Lee and Nate were "unrestricted" FA they would've been signed a week ago to a top contender for the MLE or more.
Both players just want to be on a playoff team....its not about the money if its a playoff team. Which the Knicks are not.

Every team in the league know Walsh will match their offer on Lee and Nate. Teams refuse to get into a battle of a sign and trade with the Knicks and their allies.
So Lee & Nate will do the same as Ben Gordon did last offseason to become an "unrestricted FA" in the twenty-ten offseason.
do it do it

Hicksville, NY

#19 Jul 15, 2009
NYStateOfMind wrote:
This whole "low-balling" claim is in a word: RIDICULOUS...
If these players had any value to any NBA team, they would have already been signed...
While I like Lee as a contributor, he is in my opinion, not a $10 million per year player. An offer of $35 million for 5 years seems reasonable and fair...
Nate Robinson should be lucky for the Knicks or any NBA team for that matter, to offer him any type of contract. He has little basketball intelligence to speak of, is regularly out of position defensively, and tries to make the spectacular offensive play too often. Not to mention is inability to control his emotions that put the Knicks in worse standing with the referees...
whether or not the GM is trying to lowball doesnt matter...its his freaking job to spend the least for talent. as far as im concerned, these 2 players were on a last place team and should get paid last place salaries...enough with the overpaid player creating overpriced tix, concessions, etc.
do it do it

Hicksville, NY

#20 Jul 15, 2009
tjrover wrote:
Lee puts up nice stats but really isn't that great of a player, he's made plenty of dumb blunders in crunch team and is more of a reason for the team's struggles than a solution for them.
Robinson is a decent 6th man, that's about it, when he's not chucking every time he touches the rock.
we're talking about a white PF and a shrimp PG...both are expendable
tjrover

Crofton, MD

#21 Jul 16, 2009
do it do it wrote:
<quoted text>
we're talking about a white PF and a shrimp PG...both are expendable
lol. point.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

David Lee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Curry, Warriors use stunning comeback to beat P... Apr 24 tom wingo 2
News Warriors notebook: Despite injuries, Warriors c... Jan '15 Kid_Tomorrow 1
News Are Golden State Warriors a Big Step Away from ... (May '14) May '14 rob 1
News Golden State Warriors Must Make Big Trade to Ge... (Feb '14) Feb '14 juan 1
News Indiana Pacers hold off Golden State Warriors 1... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Ginobili 1
News Golden State Warriors: 5 Things to Watch for vs... (Jan '14) Jan '14 asad khan 1
News Don Nelson Zings Golden State Warriors, Lights ... (Dec '13) Dec '13 denniscooldad 1
More from around the web