It's not just for money, if Kidd come...

It's not just for money, if Kidd comes to Knicks

There are 18 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 30, 2009, titled It's not just for money, if Kidd comes to Knicks. In it, Newsday reports that:

Donnie Walsh likely will engage in his first bidding war as president of the Knicks , but the battle for Jason Kidd won't be about money.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Lumberton, NJ

#1 Jun 30, 2009
Check out this from ESPN:

Seems like Nate is gone
rich r

Scarsdale, NY

#2 Jun 30, 2009
WE KNOW the Knicks, are owned by Cablevision, which also owns Newsday because EVERy ARTICLE reports it! everty single one it never fails.
please writers, stop this now

Chula Vista, CA

#3 Jun 30, 2009
question: What happens if the knicks match any offer, and Lee re-signs? Do the knicks keep him and then trade him? or just keep him and thats the end of it? If lee knows they can sign him and trade him, then why would he do that? That defeats the purpose of him trying to stay in new york. So, it makes more sense for him to get the most money and play for a place that he might like, rather than let himself get traded to somewhere he doesnt want to be. Do I have this right? If the knicks dont match, we lose Lee and get nothing in return except for some extra cap relief?

New York, NY

#4 Jun 30, 2009
Why waste cap space on Kidd, if you can sign and keep Lee?
Proofreader Pete

Johnson City, NY

#5 Jun 30, 2009
Please, no Kidd. He's washed up and has been for a couple of years.
Truth Teller

Teaneck, NJ

#6 Jun 30, 2009
Kidd quit on the Nets and faked injury to get himself traded. If the Knicks sign his washed up piece of trash, Walsh will prove to be just as big a moron as Isaiah was.

Ocala, FL

#7 Jun 30, 2009
With Kidd the Knicks have no future, don't give up anyone for him, if he wants to backup Duhon/douglas/nate that is fine. He could help with coaching. There is no reason to play him since we want to develop the younger players. To pay the mid-level or anything else seems foolish since he is at the twilight of his career and will probably be injured and/or ineffective. This will take away from the Knicks long term development and will cost someone their job. (i.e. DW and Dan) I like the crew the Knicks have. Pick up a guy in the D-leagues or a free agent that is younger. There are going to be PG's that fall from the trees with all the new draft picks this year at that position. the Knicks will be able to sign one without giving up anything/very little. The team is good as is except for a SG that can defend, unless Chandler develops into that spot. Think Lee PF, Hill C, SF Gallo, SG Chandler, PG Duhon as your starters. Then off the bench we have C Curry/Darko/Sene/Jeffries, PF Harrington/Hill/Jeffries, SG Nate/Hughes/Douglas/Jeffries, PG Douglas/Nate, SF Hughes/Jeffries. So a lot of flexibiity and Mike has no excuses. There are players at every position.
pat chewing

Marcus Hook, PA

#8 Jun 30, 2009
O agree with jerry's coments

United States

#9 Jul 1, 2009
Kidd was a great player. He's way past that point. Walsh has good instincts, and won't waste money or make such a huge mistake unless its for a good reason.

Elmont, NY

#10 Jul 1, 2009
The NBA needs mandatory retirement at the age of 37

Orlando, FL

#11 Jul 1, 2009
I really have my doubts about Donnie Walsh. I like his dumping of the garbage from the Isiah era,but he has shown very little in the so called genius catagory he was placed in when the Knicks were persuing him.

West Islip, NY

#12 Jul 1, 2009
Umm, Donnie walsh was never a "genius"
I don't know where you got the idea. Has he picked up some gems over the course of his career? Yes, but so did Isaiah. What Donnie did well was put together the components to create a competitive team in Indiana. You had Rik Smits and Reggie. You had that sneaky trade when they shafted the Bulls out of Ron Artest, Brad Miller for Jalen Rose and Travis Best. He also acquired Jermaine O'Neal for a rapidly declining Dale Davis. However, he hasn't done that much right since the NBA made the league really favorable for guards with the hand check rule a couple of years ago and that's what I fear. He clearly has a man-crush on Chris Bosh (just mention that name and watch Donnie's eyes light up). He defers too much to personnel especially at the draft. How else do you explain the stupid decision to let Isaiah draft Fred Jones after he had decided that Tayshun Prince would be wonderful for Indy? How else do you explain the failure to pick Brook Lopez last year when he fell into their laps because he'd already promised to pick D'Antoni's pal's son? I mean, Gallinari might turn out nice but every time you talk about the Knicks you know they need a tough 7 footer who can score and rebound.

It is clear that David Lee's agent is going to look for a big fat dollar amount from the top bidder out there. I'm hearing that the OKC Thunder have set sights on Paul Millsap. If they sign him that knocks down the main destinations as probably Memphis and Portland. Portland has to think about the money they have to pay Brandon Roy and Lamarcus Aldrige next year. Offer David Lee $7m a year and wait. Do a sign and trade if he wants more
rich r

Scarsdale, NY

#13 Jul 1, 2009
yano what
kidd to the team wuld b an improvement
(pending it does not mess up the 2010 plan)
who else on the knicks went to Bejing?
maybe he has another year or so left in him while the young guy develops.
cant be worse than Duhon, who also had multiple injury problems toward end of the season.

Brooklyn, NY

#14 Jul 1, 2009
how exactly does signing a 36 year old point guard who could never shoot enough to keep defenses honoest in the playoffs be sign of 'creating credibility' for the KNicks ??!!

Brooklyn, NY

#15 Jul 1, 2009
lostsoul wrote:
I really have my doubts about Donnie Walsh. I like his dumping of the garbage from the Isiah era,but he has shown very little in the so called genius catagory he was placed in when the Knicks were persuing him.
that 'Isiah era' "garbage" includes Lee, CHandler, Nate and Trevor Ariza.. unfortunately for the NBA champs

Chester, NY

#16 Jul 1, 2009
what would the knicks be without a self-centered slimeball in uniform...oh how I miss Marbury

Since: Jul 09

Wappingers Falls, NY

#17 Jul 2, 2009
Hope he won't be bringing Joumama to Knick games if he signs. Didn't one of the announcers from Boston slap her or try to slap her? I know Jason punched her and he claims she was an abusive spouse. Joumama stay away.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#18 Jul 2, 2009
maybe bring back Antonio McDyess....(traded for Camby and Nene) give em a max contract and watch his knee to implode in pre-season .... they blew up a probable 7th 8th seed playoff team for THIS?!! SO the plan is to play for the lottery for the 2nd year than dump 4 expiring contracts and hope Lebron leaves Shaq in Cleveland or Bosh leaves Vince Carter for the chance to play with WHO?!!! Galinari and Chandler?!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

David Lee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Curry, Warriors use stunning comeback to beat P... Apr '15 tom wingo 2
News Warriors notebook: Despite injuries, Warriors c... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Kid_Tomorrow 1
News Are Golden State Warriors a Big Step Away from ... (May '14) May '14 rob 1
News Golden State Warriors Must Make Big Trade to Ge... (Feb '14) Feb '14 juan 1
News Indiana Pacers hold off Golden State Warriors 1... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Ginobili 1
News Golden State Warriors: 5 Things to Watch for vs... (Jan '14) Jan '14 asad khan 1
News Don Nelson Zings Golden State Warriors, Lights ... (Dec '13) Dec '13 denniscooldad 1
More from around the web