Still working on support for LeBron

Full story: Newsday 28
LeBron James will have money on the table sometime Sunday, which is the official first day the Cavaliers can offer an extension to their superstar. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
NYStateOfMind

New York, NY

#21 Jul 19, 2009
da boss wrote:
For fame, fortune, glamore, legacy, there is no greater place than New York. Playing in New York Lebron marketing dollars will quadruple any contract an NBA team could give him plus he'll have the New York/World media/PR machine at his disposal daily. Lebron will even take less of an NBA salary to assure he has talent around him to maximixe his off court earning potential. The money he will make off the court in New York will make an NBA salary look like minimum wage. Lebron wants to be the greatest ever and a billionaire, the only place he can do both is New York. Jordan built his leagcy in Chicago, Kobe in LA, Lebrons will surpass theirs in New York. Warren Buffett will bring Lebron to New York. Haters beware!
I don't think LeBron will take a lesser salary. The rest of your post is intersting...
lspisak

Mason, MI

#22 Jul 19, 2009
I just can't see LeBron going to the losing atmosphere that defines the Knicks. They're at the same stageof developing a team as Ceveland about 4 years ago. Why would he want to start over for less money?
About Time

New York, NY

#23 Jul 19, 2009
lspisak wrote:
I just can't see LeBron going to the losing atmosphere that defines the Knicks. They're at the same stage of developing a team as Cleveland about 4 years ago. Why would he want to start over for less money?
Spoken like a true Cavs fan...

It's about New York and what the Knicks can do to bring supporting players to entice LeBron. I can see a scenario where the Cavs lose in the playoffs next season and LeBron says words to the effect that I've done everything I can and want to try this somewhere else...

If the Cavs win the NBA championship, then he stays. Dan Gilbert will do everything in his power financially to keep him...

Either way, the pro basketball fan wins...
Benny

Brantford, Canada

#24 Jul 19, 2009
The video of crawford dunking on lebron leaked, it's at www.tinyurl.com/lebronvideo
Shania

Lansing, IL

#25 Jul 19, 2009
let me c if i understand this. ny fans r harping on the "exposure" the ny market will provide lbj who already is the most hyped and exposed player in the nba (save kobe).

he has puppet commercials, been dunked on by a college player, refused to shake hands after losing to orl, and played on the us plympic team. these r all "media" events covered OUTSIDE of nyc and somehow knick fans perceive him as "under-exposed" ???

nyc WHOLE "rebuilding" efforts r relying on lbj needing media exposure beyond where ??? i am confused b/c as the most hyped player in the nba right now i am really not sure what else nyc brings him.

NOTE TO SELF: lbj currently has MORE endorsement currency than any yankee, met knick, net, ranger, islander, etc. even A-Rod is south of lbj and at one time Rod was baseball ....
coocoo4knicks

Maplewood, NJ

#26 Jul 20, 2009
Alan - Why does Walsh think he can get Razor Sessions with the MLE?
Sessions would be a great addition to the team. In addition to being at the very least a GOOD floor general (who could in a couple of years be a very very good floor general) if we sign him outright he enables us to package Duhon in a trade with either JJ or Curry for an expiring.
I'm a little surprised that Milwaukee might be considering letting him walk. If I were them I would do a S&T with the Knicks for Duhon so that they'd have a good PG for a year to let Jennings develop. Duhon for 1 year at 6 mil is a lot different than Sessions at 5 years at 6 mil if you're planning to hand over the keys to Jennings.
If NY is actually able to get Sesions from the Bucks than passing on BJ in the draft for Hill actually turns out to be a terrific move.
Curry/Darko/Hill
Lee/Hill/Gallinari/JJ/Skita
Harrington/Gallinari/Chandler
Chandler/Hughes/Douglas/Almond
Sessions/Douglas/
Moves I'd like to see the Knicks make if they can sign Sessions.
1. Duhon + Curry + Mobley for T-Mac and Brian Cook (both expirings)
2. Jared Jeffries for Mike James ( to back up Sessions and Douglas)
3. Harrington at mid-season for an expiring and a pick (assuming Gallinari is ready to start)
4. Sign Lee to a 5-year $40 mil contract that is back loaded to protect cap space. If Hill develops nicely and appears to have more upside than Lee, trade Lee after 2/1 for an expiring and a pick or two.
At the end of the season we would be looking at a lineup of:
Darko
Hill
Gallinari
Chandler
Sessions
Even if we didn't make the playoffs this year, we would have a very good young core well suited for SSOL and we would have a bevy of draft picks. We should have enough cap space to sign two max FAs, and this could actually make us a player for Lebron or another top FA.
As per Hill and Douglas sucking it up in the Summer League.
Douglas looked like a better PG than I thought and if he can improve his shot, he's a decent backup PG.
Hard to really assess Hill since he didn't seem to be in game playing shape. He should be with a trainer from now until training camp and lets see what he can do when he's got his legs. He can be an important role player if he develops.
CleMan

Alexandria, VA

#27 Jul 20, 2009
Wow, a New York columnist who actually gets it. Yes, contrary to the hype, there is no guarantee Lebron will come go to New York. In fact it's unlikely.

If Lebron leaves, it will be to a team that's got a shot at a title, simple as that. If you think he's going to the Knicks simply for NYC's sake, then dream on. As other posters have alluded to, this is not 1981 and the New York market doesn't offer the same advantages. Now you can play anywhere and get the same amount of exposure and endorsements. Time to face facts.

There's still a question of whether Lebron will stay with the Cavs. But he isn't going to the Knicks, I guarantee you that. If you think he's going to a team who's about five years away from contending even in the best case scenario, I have some swampland to sell you in Florida.

P.S. He isn't going to the, er, "storied" Nets franchise, either.
Witness

Akron, OH

#28 Jul 20, 2009
It's pretty funny to watch a New York team squirm under the salary cap, given how the lack of a salary cap in MLB is the only reason why NYC is even relevant in pro sports.

So Knicks fans are tired of the Dolans? Guess what, so are Indians fans. How ironic.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

David Lee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Warriors notebook: Despite injuries, Warriors c... Jan 9 Kid_Tomorrow 1
Are Golden State Warriors a Big Step Away from ... (May '14) May '14 rob 1
Golden State Warriors Must Make Big Trade to Ge... (Feb '14) Feb '14 juan 1
Indiana Pacers hold off Golden State Warriors 1... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Ginobili 1
Golden State Warriors: 5 Things to Watch for vs... (Jan '14) Jan '14 asad khan 1
Don Nelson Zings Golden State Warriors, Lights ... (Dec '13) Dec '13 denniscooldad 1
Warriors' play as bad as officiating (Jan '13) Feb '13 Ginobili 3
More from around the web