Chandler, Robinson help Knicks top Timberwolves

Full story: Newsday 17
Last weekend, after back-to-back losses to the Bobcats and Nets, the Knicks were in trouble. Read more
Do not forget

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Mar 13, 2009
that the Knicks, who are owned by Cablevision, which also owns Newsday!
YanksJetsRangers KnicksFan

Pembroke, MA

#2 Mar 13, 2009
I'm very happy they pulled this game out tonight. After the big win in Motown the other night I immediately saw this game as a trap. VERY happy they got the win in Minnesota tonight, Gives us breathing room in Cleveland on Sunday. LET'S GO KNICKS!

Since: Jan 08

Bronx, NY

#3 Mar 13, 2009
YanksJetsRangersKnicksFan wrote:
I'm very happy they pulled this game out tonight. After the big win in Motown the other night I immediately saw this game as a trap. VERY happy they got the win in Minnesota tonight, Gives us breathing room in Cleveland on Sunday. LET'S GO KNICKS!
I agree 100%! Jeez, imagine they beat Cleveland? And sneak in the back door for the playoffs? I'll tell you what, I didn't expect this team to be any where NEAR playoffs at this point in the season. Even if they don't make it, there is something good happening here.....

Pembroke, MA

#4 Mar 13, 2009
Oh we're just getting started here. I really feel the dark days are behind us. Next yr at the latest this team will be back in the playoffs. Year 2 is when D'Antoni teams begin to take off. But we're gonna make it this yr and get some experience. This team is so likeable, They drive you up the wall...but they make us smile alot too. LET'S GO KNICKS!
Kevin Mchale

Brooklyn, NY

#5 Mar 13, 2009
who what when where why????
New Yorker in Florida

Tampa, FL

#6 Mar 14, 2009
McHale is off-base with his comments regarding Nate Robinson and especially about the hand-check rule as it pertains to Tiny Archibald's time.
(before starting - so that you know - I am a huge Archibald fan and I like Robinson but not yet as big a fan as most)
Archibald was quick, over the top energy and deceptive (off the charts deceptive) and so he could survive the hand checking that McHale describes. But Archibald's best years were before McHale came into the league (1980). More importantly the hand-checking that McHale refers to (along with Doc Rivers who entered the NBA in 83) really became the physical item that he mentions in the late 80s. Before then guards were allowed to have their hand on another's hip. Walt Frazier and many others did this to allow themselves to keep track of who they were guarding while "cheating" a look of the offensive set-up or flow. They did not (and would have been whistled if they did) push or "guide" less physical players around the court. The hand-checking that McHale refers to started in the mid to late 80s as Detroit had to figure ways to slow down Jordan and Pippen. The league eventually started calling it a foul (as it did before mid 80s).
During that time there were several players that were small and extremely quick (like Robinson) that had their day in the NBA. We can all name a few of them. I see no reason to believe that Robinson would not do as well as he seems as physical as any of the Spuds and Mugs we have witnessed.
McHale was a great player and a very good evaluator of talent but I am a lot less impressed by his NBA history than apparently he is by Robinson.
Ralph Kramden

Bridgeport, CT

#7 Mar 14, 2009
Do not forget wrote:
that the Knicks, who are owned by Cablevision, which also owns Newsday!
Does anybody know why Newsday always prints this? Anyway, the Knicks are finally on the right track. They have two guys guiding the team in the right direction and unlike last year they are always giving 100%.
Smitty

Clarkston, GA

#8 Mar 14, 2009
YanksJetsRangersKnicksFan wrote:
Oh we're just getting started here. I really feel the dark days are behind us. Next yr at the latest this team will be back in the playoffs. Year 2 is when D'Antoni teams begin to take off. But we're gonna make it this yr and get some experience. This team is so likeable, They drive you up the wall...but they make us smile alot too. LET'S GO KNICKS!
This organization is finally on the right track. I'm glad we didn't trade Nate. that would've threw the season away. We will figure out a way to sign him and Lee. If we make the playoffs that will be great and bring value to all our players for trades etc. we will probaly get a superstar player before 2010. Thats the way the NBA is going right now. Its a recession and everybody feels it. We can bail them out. just give us the players we need. The NBA needs to make more money as a whole. What better way than to make NY is marqee franchise again.
Jrex

New York, NY

#9 Mar 14, 2009
Sorry it's off topic... This is the petition for WFAN to hire sports radio host Max Kellerman. ESPN radio let him go, so let's get him back on the air! Petitiononline.com/hiremax
KEITHCAL

AOL

#10 Mar 14, 2009
New Yorker in Florida wrote:
McHale is off-base with his comments regarding Nate Robinson and especially about the hand-check rule as it pertains to Tiny Archibald's time.
(before starting - so that you know - I am a huge Archibald fan and I like Robinson but not yet as big a fan as most)
Archibald was quick, over the top energy and deceptive (off the charts deceptive) and so he could survive the hand checking that McHale describes. But Archibald's best years were before McHale came into the league (1980). More importantly the hand-checking that McHale refers to (along with Doc Rivers who entered the NBA in 83) really became the physical item that he mentions in the late 80s. Before then guards were allowed to have their hand on another's hip. Walt Frazier and many others did this to allow themselves to keep track of who they were guarding while "cheating" a look of the offensive set-up or flow. They did not (and would have been whistled if they did) push or "guide" less physical players around the court. The hand-checking that McHale refers to started in the mid to late 80s as Detroit had to figure ways to slow down Jordan and Pippen. The league eventually started calling it a foul (as it did before mid 80s).
During that time there were several players that were small and extremely quick (like Robinson) that had their day in the NBA. We can all name a few of them. I see no reason to believe that Robinson would not do as well as he seems as physical as any of the Spuds and Mugs we have witnessed.
McHale was a great player and a very good evaluator of talent but I am a lot less impressed by his NBA history than apparently he is by Robinson.
I agree wholeheartedly.Calvin
Murphy played in that era and that didn't prevent him from becoming a Hall Of Fame player. Nate Robinson might not be as good as Murphy or Archibald but he's better than Spud Webb or Mugsy Bogues who enjoyed long NBA careers. Basketball is of course
also about speed, quickness and agility, not just size and strength.
jerry

Ocala, FL

#11 Mar 14, 2009
I'm tired of hearing all this D'Antoni magic. Isiah picked all the players who are emerging, Nate, Lee, Chandler and even Gallinari, although they would have picked him without Isiah. Isiah may have picked Gorden first which would have been a good pick as well. I like Gallo better for his long range shooting and gumption. I didn't think it was a good pick at first but I was wrong Gallo has a ton of potential and is going to be clutch.

Anyhow give Isiah some credit here. Even Randolf and Craw were good trades. Donny should have gotten much more for them. Donnie did somewhat redeem himself with the Hughes trade. Anyhow Nate is finally learning to pull up after he passes his man (which he can do at will) and hit the short J instead of going in and getting it blocked.

Lee shouldn't be playing. He has been hammered all year long. Let him rest. His knees will be needed next year why beat him to a pulp this year. With all the jumping he does it may not be wise to play him more than 25 to 30 a game. He needs some relief from a big man. This guy Monroe from Georgetown or Habeet look like really good big men who can block shots and score a little. Either should be a big help and the Knicks should be looking to move up in the draft to nab one of them.
knickfan33

Brooklyn, NY

#12 Mar 14, 2009
jerry wrote:
I'm tired of hearing all this D'Antoni magic. Isiah picked all the players who are emerging, Nate, Lee, Chandler and even Gallinari, although they would have picked him without Isiah. Isiah may have picked Gorden first which would have been a good pick as well. I like Gallo better for his long range shooting and gumption. I didn't think it was a good pick at first but I was wrong Gallo has a ton of potential and is going to be clutch.
Anyhow give Isiah some credit here. Even Randolf and Craw were good trades. Donny should have gotten much more for them. Donnie did somewhat redeem himself with the Hughes trade. Anyhow Nate is finally learning to pull up after he passes his man (which he can do at will) and hit the short J instead of going in and getting it blocked.
Lee shouldn't be playing. He has been hammered all year long. Let him rest. His knees will be needed next year why beat him to a pulp this year. With all the jumping he does it may not be wise to play him more than 25 to 30 a game. He needs some relief from a big man. This guy Monroe from Georgetown or Habeet look like really good big men who can block shots and score a little. Either should be a big help and the Knicks should be looking to move up in the draft to nab one of them.
Then why were we so bad under isaha last year lol good 1 their
NJim

Elizabeth, NJ

#13 Mar 14, 2009
D'Antoni isn't a very good coach as far as x's and o's. He does get these guys to play though. And why is Kevin McHale hatin on Nate? Man, if this was back in McHale's day someone would stand up and tell him to shut his mouth and remind him on what his team's terrible record is
sour apes

Stony Brook, NY

#14 Mar 15, 2009
kevin mchale, eat some of my grapes. I think Devin Harris is the one who gets these BS calls not Nate Robinson.
Habs09

Ridgewood, NY

#15 Mar 15, 2009
Knicks Fanatics site is the best Knicks site around, please feel free to join the fun.

Pembroke, MA

#16 Mar 15, 2009
It's the Celtic in McHale that will do anything to say something negative about the Knicks. Notice how he dealt Garnett to none other than the Celtics and his former teammate Danny Ainge. If Nate were a Celtic McHale would be singing his praises.
Tiffany

Bronx, NY

#17 Mar 16, 2009
wilson and nate are one of my 2 favorite players on the knicks

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

David Lee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Warriors notebook: Despite injuries, Warriors c... Jan '15 Kid_Tomorrow 1
News Are Golden State Warriors a Big Step Away from ... (May '14) May '14 rob 1
News Golden State Warriors Must Make Big Trade to Ge... (Feb '14) Feb '14 juan 1
News Indiana Pacers hold off Golden State Warriors 1... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Ginobili 1
News Golden State Warriors: 5 Things to Watch for vs... (Jan '14) Jan '14 asad khan 1
News Don Nelson Zings Golden State Warriors, Lights ... (Dec '13) Dec '13 denniscooldad 1
News Warriors' play as bad as officiating (Jan '13) Feb '13 Ginobili 3
More from around the web