Bruins' Aboya picks education over money

Bruins' Aboya picks education over money

There are 5 comments on the LA Daily News story from Nov 20, 2008, titled Bruins' Aboya picks education over money. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

Once every three months, the Aboya family gets a modest retirement check. From it, three children and their parents must carve out a humble life, and a stipend must be put aside so Baliaba Aboya Casimir, Alfred ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

Alex G - UCLA 07

United States

#1 Nov 20, 2008
What a great article. Aboya is my new favorite player; what he shows on the court, doesn't explain what he holds in his heart.
R G B

Rosemead, CA

#2 Nov 20, 2008
After reading the article on Alfred Aboya, all I can say is that I hope he can reach his goals in life. Judging from that artile also, I feel that he will accomplish it!
Big Dog

Yorba Linda, CA

#3 Nov 20, 2008
Aboya hasnt picked education over money, he's just waiting for his big chance at the NBA, which hasnt knocked at his door yet. His opportunity to play for Poland is a joke. But you can be sure if the opportunity presented itself to play in the nba, he would take that offer in a HEARTBEAT! Thats what division 1 basketball is all about: its not about education, its not about giving it that "old college try". Its about playing your best so hopefully you can land that big contract with an nba team.
Look at his former teamate, Aaron Aflalo: a pretty good player for UCLA, a lousy player in the NBA. But the important thing is that he got the big contract to play with Detroit. Now he's on easy street laughing all the way to the bank.
uclapt

United States

#4 Nov 20, 2008
I have tears in my eyes, because living here, we just don't appreciate how much opportunity is around us. Alfred is a fine example of many who come to this great country with hope. I will always cheer extra hard for him and hope that he will achieve his goals...and not just the one in the NBA. He sounds like he wants to make a difference in his home country and that is what a college scholarship should really be about. Go Bruins!
Kathy

Quincy, MA

#5 Dec 1, 2008
I know Alfred from Tilton School. He worked hard at academics and loved basketball, and always had a kind word and smile for anyone. He talked about being the leader of Cameroon even then. I wish him all the best.

GO BRUINS

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Darren Collison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dallas Mavericks are the Team No Playoff Team W... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Jake 1
News NBA Trade Rumors: Dallas Mavericks Talk Josh Sm... (Feb '13) Feb '13 King Dyce 1
News NBA Trade Rumors: Dallas Mavericks Could Look T... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Sammy 2
News Kuban, Kidd and Karma (Aug '12) Sep '12 Ginobili 4
News Wade scores 41, James adds 28 as Miami finishes... (May '12) May '12 They Live If We S... 1
News NBA Draft 2011: Hometown Kid George Hill, Futur... (Jun '11) Jul '11 Do tell 3
News UCLA BASKETBALL NOTEBOOK: Bruins ring in new ye... (Nov '10) Nov '10 fred 2
More from around the web